I fell for the meme and bought an R9 390 instead of a GTX 970 1,5 years ago

2 weeks ago, it's started giving me black screens (mostly while playing games). I'm %100 sure it's the graphics card because I tested it on another rig and the same thing happened on that one too. It's still under warranty, so I gave it to technical support(it it what you call them?) at 7th, still waiting. Some fucking how my friend with the same card(sapphire nitro r9 390, bought it 2-3 later than me) is having similar issues as well.(BSOD's, black screens) Is this card doomed to fail? Should I expect my replacement (or my repaired) card to die in another 1,5 years? Was a memed into a shitty product produced by a shitty company?

Other urls found in this thread:

community.amd.com/thread/200787
youtube.com/watch?v=G9hx5ehEjno
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

warranty it, sell the replacement to miners for the absurd prices they;re willing to pay and get a 1070 with that cash desu senpai

Never buy power hungry cards is what I have learned. Only reason I bought 1080s were because of the low power consumption. Even then , wait until your card arrives. Linus has had 390s since forever and they seem to be lasting very well. Only time will tell friend.

This.

Isn't the mining thing dying right now? Besides, I'm not sure if there are any miners in my non-first world country.

Could it be a sapphire specific problem?What brand were Linus'?

Also, forgot to post this relevant link:

community.amd.com/thread/200787

>GPU dying
>muh shitty company
I've had 2 GPUs shit themselves and they were both Nvidia.

It's just that my friend's has been same issues at the same fucking time. Too much of a coincidence...

AMD cards are notorious for their high failure rate since they are housefires that draw way too much energy and wear out fast. I was in the same place as you were 2 years ago but I bought the 970 instead and I'm so fucking glad I did. Friend of mine bought exactly that model of the r9 390 in your pic and he's always having problems with it. You can also feel the room getting hotter when he plays graphically demanding stuff, whereas the same doesn't happen with me. He also has to keep changing driver versions all the time for this or that specific game.

AMD has too many shills misleading people into buying into their garbage products, which is why they usually sound like jehowah witnesses desperate to sell you something. Even the garbage known as bulldozer was shilled 24/7 by these pieces of shit and I fell for that meme. The only good product this company has produced this decade is the ryzen lineup and their GPU lineup is so hilariously behind nvidia's it isn't even funny anymore with Vega being DOA.

>2-3
2-3 months*
>Was a
was I*

How long did it take for them to die?

i like copy pasta too

bought it on launch
it just werks

There probably are. If you have a hard time selling it locally, there's always ebay.

There a batch of 290/390 cards that came out with no cooling on some of the components, that had sky-high failure rates. They cook themselves after 12-24 months.

If you ever actually watched any GPU teardowns, AMD consistently over-engineers their GPU's.

my 6970 died after 2 years as well, my 970 I got on release is still going strong.

3 years and 2,5 year the other one

My 290 going stronk
Goddamn love this GPU
Probably the shitty cooler or brand yours had

5770, 5870, and 7970 all going stronk.

Aside from random failures, there are AIB partners that sometimes (or often) whiff on their designs. Maybe they use some shitty RAM (happened on a large run of 390s) or maybe they completely fail to cool the VRs (happened on many HD 7900s).

It kind of sucks, but it becomes necessary to investigate each AIB partner's card in a teardown before you buy it to dodge the lemons. Same goes for NVidia.

Bullshit, nVidias never die. my TNT2 and 6600GT still works till this day.

thats what i did

Not that's it's any consolation to you buy my GTX 970 is still going strong. Even in spite of the le 3.5GB meme.

>beat the fuck out of my directcu ii 290, hottest out of all aib hawaii cards
>still runs 1440p 60

>Was a memed into a shitty product produced by a shitty company?
No, you just bought a shitty card from shitty manufacturer or you just got unlucky.

>be me
>play Mass Effect: Andromeda for 3 solid days
>screens flicker gray
>flickering intensifies
>all panels lose signal
>detect burning smell
>780 Ti burned out for staying in the 80s for the past 3 days (not the GPU chip itself, curiously; the ignition happened near some brown element on the far side of the card from the GPU)
>thankfuck.TIF smoke detector didn't proc to evacuate entire building

>get 1080 Ti replacement
>now play Mass Effect: Andromeda better @ 1440p, 144 Hz
>feelsokayman

Oh, and the only reason I got a 780 Ti is because my 580 died one day lolzz x’D

it's a sapphire nitro (best cooler)

All 8 of mine work fine :^)

It's dying but the GPU prices are still overinflated. There isn't any real harm in trying but be careful with ebay.

Elpida or Hynix memory chips?

sorry, i'm not OP. just took it from his post. I thought all sapphire nitros used Hynix as they're the newer version of the 390 (after the Tri-X).

lol fuck off I've lost a GT240 after less than a year of use. My HD5670 is still rocking.

I still have a reference 290x that works to this day. Had four 290s that I sold a year ago too. Fuck you Hawaii is king.

>he didnt sell his 390 for a free upgrade to 1070

FUCKING LOL

What are you doing nigga? Sell that shit to miners before it's too late. I'm so fucking glad I bought the 390 over 970.

Could be PSU too.

I had two 290x that'd push a 1kw PSU under TW3 until it black screened and rebooted. Swapped PSU and continued to use them for another year or two just fine.

this. my friend was running a 290 with a 7870 driving displays on a 500w psu and more recent gaymes forced him to remove the 7870 because both cards ate too much power together.

this faggot never owned a gtx460

>implying the fermi-lite was any good

>implying my 290 will ever die

>willingly wanting 3.5gb

whats wrong with nvidiots?

>dcii hawaiis
aren't those the ones that the heatpipes didn't even touch the vrms because they copypasted the design from their nvidia cards?

I had SLI gtx 460 mismatched EVGA and Palit one back when they had the frog on the box.

>He didnt sell his r9 390
Dumb brainlets

ITT: Statistics, what are they?

never had a single problem with my 970 when I owned it.
nvidias memory compression is far better than amds making it far less of an issue.

I thought so too, that's why I tried it on a friend's rig as well as I mentioned in the OP. And it did the same thing there too.

I would've if I lived in the US. I'm not sure how I should go about it in my country...

>nvidias memory compression is far better than amds

the irony is that if you play a game that requires more than 3.5gb of vram the r9 390 can't handle it either

my GTX 480 died but I got a free replacement and a new mousepad

I have an rx 480 you are telling me I can sell the thing for $400 because of miners?

I've got 2 R9 390s and an R9 390X

None of them have this problem.

How compatible are r9 390 with Ubuntu? It doesn't seem as good as it was on windows

I have an r9 390 MSI 8gb and I always was disappointed with its performance. I currently have an I7-7700k and 16gb ram. In most games, I still notice low frames. For example, PUBG (despite being unoptimized) only gives 50fps on low-high. Is this normal?

more like a gtx 1080

>compressing pixels
>not rendering fully uncompressed pixels
youtube.com/watch?v=G9hx5ehEjno

I traded my g1 gaming 970 with the msi 390 of a friend earlier this year because I bought a freesync monitor and even though I love the feature, the thing is that the 970 overclocks like a beast, whereas the 390 is just a glorified overvolted overclocked 290. It has fuckall OC headroom, just like the 480 and 580. When you compare both overclocked the 970 easily comes out on top. I also find myself troubleshooting way more than I used to (playing Nier Automata with this thing was a fucking chore, whereas my friend with my old 970 didn't have a single problem) and the room gets noticeably warmer than before.

I mean, freesync really is a game changer, but this thing is downright an inferior product in every way and the extra memory doesn't mean jack shit. Won't sugar coat it. I actually don't regret it because I love freesync that much and knew full well where I was going, but I'd never recomend these cards to anyone without a freesync monitor under any circumstances. It's simply worse.

OP here. I got like between 60-90 fps with some settings on very low, some settings on high and medium and so on.

I RMA'ed a R9 290 with a dying fan last month. Took 3 weeks, but I got a overclocked RX 480 8GB back, so maybe you can get a nice 580 out of it, op.

2nd to the MSI Lightning

I would be extremely happy if that happened, but I doubt it. They would probably rather refund me with store credits than give me something better in my country. Do you live in the US?