Encoding video half way done

>encoding video half way done
>the lightning gets closer and the wind and rain picks up
>mfw

Better disconnect all of the things, user.

>American infrastructure

sometimes I forget

>he isn't encoding on an Apple™ MacBook™ Pro™
>he has to worry about the power going out because he doesn't have any battery life

What fucking infrastructure can keep computers safe from fucking lightning storms? These things have killed people through their keyboard with surges of power

Lighting rods, proper grounding and surge protection.

In the first world we have all of these. Even our water pipes are secured.

>many years ago
>still living with mom and brother
>we all have our own PCs
>lightning strikes
>all computers except mine rebooted
based seasonic

>living in the 3rd world

... You actually think GROUNDING AND SURGE PROTECTION CAN HELP YOU WITH LIGHTNING?

The first goddamn thing you are taught about lightning is that no surge protection or grounding is going to help you idiot. It fuses the surge protector immediately, providing absolutely no protection. Ground cannot take that much power. There is no way to protect yourself from a lightning strike except trying to get it to go somewhere else (lightning rods), but I've traveled a lot and I've never seen a neighborhood filled with lightning rods

stop living in an area with shitty infrastructure

The infrastructure you are suggesting does not exist, and frankly, physically can't! The only thing I can think of is you live in a place where the threat of lightning is very different, our risk is near direct lightning strikes on our houses, you'd need a rod for every house or at least a couple every block to make a difference

Plus should you somehow stop the pure destructive power of electricity from destroying your computers, your house is still on fire

I hope your house gets a direct hit that takes out everything including your UPS, you dumb fucking retard.

obviously a direct fucking strike on your house is different that one that hits somewhere around your area, dipshit

Our infrastructure handles that fine you idiot

>not owning a UPS
The definition of intermediate level computing

so does mine, fucktard. seems like you lost your point.

sounds like an infrastructure problem to me

>The infrastructure you are suggesting does not exist

Yes it does: it's called underground power lines.

Only 3rd world shitholes still use overhead power lines, and they are the ones at risk from lightning strikes.

>it's an "I hate Americans so much I can't stop talking about them" post

>be typing Sup Forums post
>basically somewhere between short story and fucking novel
>actually put forth time to proof read, cite sources, make excellent arguments
>captcha already typed
>just finishing it up
>BOOOM
>Transformer a few blocks over blows up for the 12th time this season
gets me every fucking time.

This last time a storm almost got me. I cut it short because I knew what was going to happen.
>mfw 2 seconds after I hit submit the power goes out and doesn't come back on
I had just enough time for the page to autorefesh to show my post actually went though, but not enough time left to even read the first sentence.

>not living in a bunker half a mile underground so you can't be hit by a lightning and the cia/fbi/nsa/mossad/kgb can't control your mind
sure is summer in here

>he doesnt know the mind control signals are transmitted though though the earths core to the western civilizations
have fun in what is basically a mind control echo chamber

Direct lightning strikes are basically EMPs. I'm in Phoenix and lightning storms are basically our only natural disasters, so we do have underground power, but it's not always gonna save you when your lightning storms happen so often and don't need need rain or clouds

>he thinks my bunker isn't a double-layered faraday cage
no wonder you're easy bait for (((them)))

>being on (((THE GRID)))
Holy shit, you guys are fucking morons. Get your own generator station.

>he doesnt know that mosad hooked a wire up to his faraday cage and is using it as an antenna

Yes. In the first world you generally haveouter protection in the form of a lightning rod and ring ground, then surge protection for ~100 Kiloampere (I don't know what that is in American units, you do the conversion)

The technology isn't available in America because you build your houses so that they're rebuilt easily, but also get demolished easily

>not solar panels and boat wind turbine

Earth is hollow, mate: no core, just a hidden civilization living on the inside. Well, there is the centrl sun.

Put the power lines underground.

This is why i'm glad about using downgrading to a laptop after my last computer finally died.

Near infinite edundancy is always implied, user.

I THINK YOU MEANT REDUNDANCY LOL AHAH NERD

Have you thought about monetizing this incredible ability to attract storms? I think your skills could be very attractive to insurance companies, or perhaps DARPA could find a way to weaponize them.

>Lightning without clouds
I smell bullshit.

either way, molten blob.
also thats just what (((they))) want you to think. The earth is actually flat

earth is a möbius strip m'lads

Are you Norwegian by any chance? I can hear the thunder..

>earth is a möbius strip m'lads

The universe is actually a quintic Calabi–Yau manifold.

>not a cartel grade tesla magnet wheel

brainlet detected

most of the time its the transformer blowing up a few streets over.
if alphabet soup agency wants to pay attention to something then they could do me a favor and find out either who is doing what to blow line transformers like clockwork or why my city is using bottom of the barrel shit they found on /csg/

>Tell your neighbor to stand on his roof with a metal rod
>Lightning will strike him instead of your house
>you rest easy knowing your house is less likely to be struck with lightning
>the neighbor is dead

gee, and what do you think happens when lightning hits the transformers/secondaries for your undergound power lines?
>thinking
Oh yeah, it's almost like this accomplishes nothing.

Wow, I hope your channel doesn't lose any subscribers.

Proper grounding, something American utility companies can't understand.

>Not having a geothermal generator, a mini-hydro plant, a solar concentrator, a S6G submarine reactor, an esoteric aura concentrator generator, and a gas generator just in case to power your invisible bugout compound in the mountains
Casual.

OBSESSED

OBSESSED

OBSESSED

American reporting in. Our infrastructure is shit, but at least we're not England.

find a new hobby other than thinking about americans 24/7

Where's your UPS?

This.

I don't know why you care about America so much, we don't think about you at all.

How is this a problem? This isn't 1997 anymore.

>there are literary people on THIS board without proper protective equipment
Faggots.

Shit meme faggot.

>ahaha yuropoor
>kek! PAL
>lolwut 3rd world
That's all shit we invented to shame Yurofags, be proud to be American or fuck off.

You.... welcome to the desert I guess?

OBESE

>shows just a 2d slice
Show it all or don't show it

Wait, do you honestly think that it's not possible to keep the electricity grid working during lightning storms? The fuck are your engineers doing. In Australia, the power grid survives lightning storms just fine, you just need to have good grounding.

We literally learned how to make power grids safe against lightning storms in high school physics.

Get a UPS.

OP here i fell asleep, powere didnt go out whew

/thread

if it's interrupted, you could just cut it after the last iframe, encode the rest, and concatenate them

>In Australia, the power grid survives lightning storms just fine

Maybe in the city. Rural areas get black outs like no ones business.

>he doesn't own a UPS with a redundant UPS unit on the side
>not having a household gas generator

If you're living in a storm prone part of the country the above mentioned are a must if you work for home.
I'm not a burger so I have a lot of thunder protection built into my house power supply but I still don't trust it.

I still unplug my router & modem because I'm still using DSL, and phone lines are far less protected & susceptible to lighting strikes than power lines are.
About 12-15 years ago I lost a PC to thunder. Surge came through the phone lines, fried my modem, router, and then my PC.

If you've got fiber you don't have to worry like I do. But you should have a proper industrial tier surge protector for your computer & network equipment.
And if the thunder is very close, unplug everything anyway, nothing can save you from a direct lighting strike.

>Thinking UPS & surge protectors will save you from a lightning strike

ITT: Americans insist that it's IMPOSSIBLE to not lose power when lightning strikes

Meanwhile in Europe the one time I've ever had a computer shut down was when I tripped over the power cable lmao

Kek

Proper wiring, a smart meter and a UPS

>being unable to pause an encoding job
>being unable to hibernate
softwarelet

it sure is possible and for example airplanes keep flying just fine even when struck by lighting because that shit gets routed away from the critical stuff

I live in a commieblock in Finland with just modernized electrical infrastructure so I'm pretty sure I'm good.

>underground power in rural areas
Yeah nope
>dig up line whenever there is an issue
I understand high density areas from a distro or substation but going all underground is costly

Seems like you never had a point to make then, yuropoor.

I know it won't you tard. But it greatly reduces the risk if you remove yourself temporarily from the power grid.

Also, while lightning strikes were known to strike people indoors the chances of that happening are slim at best...

Unless you are standing in the middle of a field naked with headphones using a battery powered device is perfectly fine.