So I've completely Un-Googled my phone with alternative open source apps with one exception: navigation

So I've completely Un-Googled my phone with alternative open source apps with one exception: navigation.

I cant for the life of me find a decent open source navigation app. I tried the usual recommendation of Osmand...but it couldn't even find my house address in a major US city.

What navigation app does Sup Forums use to escape the botnet that actually has decent navigation?

Im seriously about to go back to manually printing out MapQuest maps if I cant find one

Other urls found in this thread:

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.joeperkins.nws
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mergers_and_acquisitions_by_Alphabet
wego.here.com
f-droid.org
pelias.io/)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

gentoo maps

waze?

Google bought Waze a few years ago

do you need google for Here we go Maps? If not try it out.

Doesn't work in the US very well, at least in Louisiana

>open source navigation
lmao good luck idiot.

mapping data costs billions of dollars and Google is the best in the world.

MapQuest worked fine back in the 90s

I've been trying to do something similar to OP, but am having a hard time finding a weather app that doesn't go full jew, and that doesn't eat my battery alive.

Can anyone recommend a good weather application that doesn't rape my battery and won't try to sell me shit?

Did you try
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.joeperkins.nws

Magic Earth its perfect

I did, but it's accuracy was a little all over the place. Sometimes it would predict rain the nanosecond the first drop landed and other times it would literally say it was snowing while I was at the beach.

I actually do use it every now and then but I was kinda' hoping for something a little better.

OSMand works perfectly, just make sure you download the maps you need ahead of time.

What they did was they took those big "Map" books and converted it into a website and figured out how to map routes.

Now things are complicated. You have business locations, traffic, 3d mapping scans, satellite scans, etc. All on demand from your mobile device.

Are you seriously this retarded? I wouldn't want to go back to the 90s.

Google Maps has saved my ass so many countless times, it's not even funny.

While I agree I don't like Jewgle in general, but everyone here uses at least 1 of their services. Unless you live under a rock...

This. And the reality of the situation, without going full tinfoil, is that they're most likely getting all the information they want from your device anyway.

Android is pretty deep in Google's pocket and I doubt the concept of uprooting yourself completely is as simple as removing their apps and installing a new rom.

My phone does not even have Gaps installed, its annoying sometimes but there are foss alternatives for most things you need.

There are certain things where you just have to bite the bullet and either give in to Google, OR spend extra money.
Google Maps is so convenient because it's free and integrated in your phone, but in reality these navigation services are very expensive, like said.
Consider buying an actual GPS device that isn't your phone.
In my case, I use Google Maps. But i only have GPS Location services + the Google Maps Navigation app enabled/activated when i actually need it. Which is not often.

Mapquest was always shit in my area if you were outside either of the major cities. More than a few times I found myself being directed down a road that hadn't been maintained for 10+ years.

did you installed a adress lookup backend ?

Why is no one bringing up OSMAnd?

Just have your phone do the trip routing.

MAPS.ME downloads map data from openstreetmaps and does navigation locally. Totally open source.

You can buy TomTom app for your gaydroid or ios device, but it ain't gonna be as good as Google Maps.

It will work fine but it won't be as good.

>Being this retarded
Are you using an Android device?
Did you watch that YouTube clip?
Did you search something off Google.com?
Did you check your Gmail account?

Then you're using a Google service. Lol

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mergers_and_acquisitions_by_Alphabet

My dream is to one day have a small start up company, and then get bought up by Google for a hundred millions dollars that I alone get

OSM and wikimapia cost nothing, brainlet.

Google works best in US and Canada, maybe some few big cities around the world. Otherwise, local mapping services are always preferable, here I have Google, Bing, Yandex, 2GIS and OSM. Yandex and 2gis are the best for cities, OSM is absolutely great for rural areas, and google is utter crap, even worse than bing.

Wrong. I lived in London for a year when Google Maps just came out, it helped me find my way back to my flat when I was super drunk literally every day.

>t. USA fag.

OSMAnd or Maps.me

Apple maps

read again you fucking brainlet

>weather app
What features you looking for exactly? I use Forecastie for basic temp, etc. and hourly forecast. I found it on F-Droid, there are lots of weather apps on there.

I did have to sideload MyRadar though, because I couldn't find any free software radar app. It complains about no Google, etc. but works anyway.

>everyone here uses at least 1 of their services
speak for yourself, fagotron

>I don't understand the difference between AOSP and Google Play Services Framework, the post

These Sup Forumsentoomen get it:
Especially who is the only correct answer in this whole thread.

OSMAnd routing works just fine. The only thing lacking is an address lookup. But usually you can get close enough. In a pinch I will access maps.google.com via Orbot, just to see where the address is located on the street or whatever. Then find it in OSMAnd and use that to actually navigate.

But I will look into some of these options others have mentioned like maps.me and open to other suggestions insofar as address lookup back ends.

Forecastie is nice

What about the nokia one

wego.here.com

>speak for yourself, fagotron
So you don't watch videos on YouTube?

I can say, you might use Bing instead (cuz you're a faggot) but not use YouTube?

Lol

Riiiiiiiight.

If you're that "scared" of Google stealing your shitty data, then use a proxy and a fake account or something.

IDIOT

>doesn't know about youtube-dl

>Mozilla Location Services and local WiFi/GSM location backends
>that address lookup backend that uses OSM data
Maximum comfy

Osmand works fine idiot. Just don't expect it to know addresses and it works fine. I've used only intersections only and have found my way every time

>Yes goyim, just do what is easiest, don't question anything, or try to be in control of your own device you bought with your own hard earned shekels. (((Google))) have your best interests in mind! It is hopeless and pointless to attempt to resist!

I tried several of the JewTube viewers available on F-Droid, and out of all of them, WebTube was my favorite and still is my daily driver. It even has option to go over TOR using Orbot. Plus can send videos to Kodi over your local network. Which of course potentially breaks some of your anonymity by way of traffic analysis... Just be careful and think about what you are doing, and set up your network carefully.

BAD... APE

>M'Circumvention

Come out of that rock, user.

If you're scared that the FBI will find your SeePee, stop downloading it.

What did you replace Google Play with?

Nigger the illusion of "control" is all in your head.

If you have fucking Wangblows 10 or Gaydroid, botnets are embedded in the kernel.

Good luck "controlling" your device.

Fucking monkey.

How do you contain the autism day to day?

lmao

Ah yes, the kernel is backdoored so you might as well just install the facebook app and let it listen to your microphone 24/7. No point in doing anything at all because some state level actor could theoretically put spyware on your computer. Makes perfect sense user.

>imblying I still use Windoze in current_year
>oy vey! it's pointless to resist! just be a good goyim!

you may be right

but that will not stop us from fighting back

android device can be degoogled and copperhead which is android based is the most secure thing 2 run and i do

no i don't use youtube
no i don't use google
no i don't use gmail

F-Droid, it's a F/LOSS software repository, you can download the Marketplace app at f-droid.org

But he's not right though. With Windoze, yes it's a lost cause. However Android still uses Linux kernel (for now, Jewgle is working on a replacement). The issue on Android always has been the baseband radio / bootloader, which runs a separate real time OS and is pretty much always proprietary software. Although Replicant is available as an alternative, on some slightly older hardware (s3 for instance, I think, and others of similar + older vintage, last I checked).

Are you retarded? google maps work all around the world. From USA to UK to AUS. It all works. I used it when I was on my holidays. You don't know jack shit.

Paper map and compass

>Using jewgle to enable your degeneracy

Searching for maps.me on F-Droid led me to an app called Acastus, which is apparently an Android front end for search.mapzen.com, which runs Pelias (pelias.io/) which is:

>A modular, open-source geocoder built on top of ElasticSearch for fast geocoding.

Pretty neato! Apparently you need to apply for an API key to access mapzen, however you can also install your own instance of Pelias on your own server, which I might do eventually after testing it out some first.

I think I am on the right track though, this looks really promising insofar as getting that last piece of the puzzle working (address lookup).

Thanks fellow Anons for help in piecing this together. And OP also was not a faggot today.

Maps.me
Based on openstreetmap
You just download all the maps you need and there you go. Even has traffic data

Just wanted to report back, that Acastus/Mapzen works a treat! I had to sign up for an API key, but once I plugged that in I was off to the races. Pretty quick address and even POI lookup. Then they translate it to coordinates and it automatically opens right up in OSMAnd! Slick! Just as good as Jewgle except free as in freedom! I'm excited to continue testing out in the real world. I've been looking for something like this for a while now.