Are big heatsinks safe? Will it damage the motherboard?

Are big heatsinks safe? Will it damage the motherboard?

How will it damage the motherboard?

My Noctua NH-D15S is pretty safe on my ASRock X99 Extreme6. And its silent as fuck.

"no.. user-kun... it's too big... it will damage me!!"

-Your mobo, according to your sick weeb mind

IT WONT DO SHIT MAN

just install it

The weight is held by the motherboard, not the case.

Thanks user!

I have the NH-D14 (old version) good to know. Don't want to use AIO on a new build.

It is indeed silent as heck and cools well.

Weight stress
Angel stress

>The weight is held by the motherboard, not the case

Wow, it's a good thing that motherboards aren't made out of damp newspaper then!

A GPU is held by the motherboard and yet you don't see people complaining.

Not if you don't take your PC for a ride in your car frequently.

This used to be a concern when people were clipping a pound of copper onto the plastic lugs on the side of Socket A. With modern coolers it doesn't matter so long as you don't go off-roading (or flying...) with your PC in the back.

pomf =3

Wow good point!

Faggot.

Wrong. It's held by the case when you screw it with the slot screws.

Depends on the card. Heavy cards without back plates or brace bars weigh on the far side of the slot.

Card sag is real, but it will rarely wreck your PCIe slots unless you violently jock the case. And if you transport the case with the GPU installed you deserve it.

If you don't support the GPU properly or if your GPU is heavy and you haven't taken into account of the stress it will put on some motherboards, it will result in these things.

Its a problem too.

that's why I put my case side way like this.

Get a cube case like the V21 and there wont be any problems.

There is a reason why Steel Plated PCI-E is a thing, heavy GPUs without back panel screw ins causes trouble and breakage.
afaik there aren't support for CPU coolers for mobo's, so screwing it in tight and evenly or placing it flat is the safest bet.

Bane?

I've had an ND-D15 on my 2500k for years and haven't had an issue.
They wouldn't make it if it didn't work.

As long as you don't move the case around it should be fine, if you have all the screws screwed in on the motherboard.

Unfortunately I've seen motherboard bend, crack and other things happen when they computer is put in the back of a car, or just moved around.

I've been using a Silverarrow Archon for my FX-8150 since 2012 or so but my mobo works fine.

the only problem you gonna have if it blocks ram slot (like mine)

>They wouldn't make it if it didn't work

Pretty sure there's a bunch of shit that gets made that doesn't work user

It's only an issue if you're using meme RAM with heatsinks. No problem with normal sticks at all.

more scared about GPU sag

I have that exact cooler and board in the pic, op.
I just felt like poiting this out.

I wave the same cooler which has lead to my cpu being ice cold; went from ~50C idle temp to 30C.

Fuck off, that will never happen unless you drop the case or severely fuck up during installation.
GPU sag is only an aesthetics problem. And if you're worried about the slot not being strong enough, buy a meme-motherboard that has metal-reinforced PCI-E slots.

Motherboard PCBs are very strong, you can stand on them and they won't break.
As long as you've installed the cooler properly it will be fine. Just don't over-tighten it, modern CPU PCBs are thinner these days and can be damaged if you over-tighten the cooler bracket.

Only thing that can damage the motherboard is you tightening the screws too far you fucking retarded dipshit faggot

It shouldn't unless you're a dumb cunt and don't screw your mb to the case with all the screws for extra stability.

My old 680i is warped to shit because of the Zalman cooler that was on it for years. Shit backplate support from Zalman combined with a couple years of heat.

>aussie