Linux font rendering. Not even once

Linux font rendering. Not even once.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreeType
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Font_configuration.
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

That's worse than normal but yeah Linux font rendering is terrible in general. Most of the time the font barely even resembles the original design.

xubuntu doesn't have this problem

thats for freetype 2.7+

linux is the kernel

who's got the bar in bike spokes picture

You can fix this dude

What distro?

>what is infinality

lold

>Apple uses FreeType in iOS[67] and macOS[68] next to Apple Advanced Typography.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreeType

dead

Debian, out of the box setup

switch to testing and apply the pasta

>a font config file is dead

>testing
Fuck right off, I don't want rolling release.

You can make the fonts look better than the OP but you can never make them look good or accurate to the typographer's design.

>infinality is just a font config

A package that has been root kitted twice in the last several years. You might as well just start installing random executables in Windows.

then use the obsolete freetype and don't make these threads

Update FreeType and install decent fonts, user.

if you dont know how to configure your linux system then you should fuck off retard, its not OS's fault because you are dumb shit

>shipping with insane defaults
That should never be the case.

yes, that's exactly what is

>installing the package
>not just copying the configuration files

>LOL XP FONT RENDERING LOOKS SO BAD
>FUCK YOU I'M NOT USING WINDOWS 7 NEW UNSTABLE SHIT
Have you ever asked yourself if you have the intelligence required to use a real computer?

>yes, that's exactly what is
and here i thought it was some patches n shit

>debian stable
freetype really improved, now the defaults are pretty decent.

Your strawman:
>oldstable release sucks
>I don't want to use stable

What I said:
>stable release sucks
>I don't want to use unstable (testing)

quality strawmanning

just fix it then

That font rendering is only slightly better.

>A package that has been root kitted twice in the last several years.
source?

Fedora 26 (in-place upgrades since Fedora 18)

but the improvements aren't in debian stable

>linux font rendering

>unstable (testing)
testing is not unstable

"unstable" is sid, but unstable is my experience with testing

you jelly?

what's wrong with it ?

Ubuntu's font rendering is unrivaled in normall DPI screens, fuck off street shitter shill.

>Ubuntu's font rendering is unrivaled in normall DPI screens
True but...

>fuck off street shitter shill.
Street shitters and GNUmales are the only people left that are poor enough to have low (or "normal") DPI screens.

it's crap
>ooga booga where the wide font spacing at

how about fucking making them look good by default

The question should be: what you need to do to get that on a user oriented distro?

If you choose a DIY distro or a barebones distro then the simple fact that theres user oriented distros that ships good defaults invalidates OP's argument completely.

Windows font rendering is objectively worse.
Everytime I come to this site on Windows I'm always disgusted at how meme arrows look.

›implying

it is, he doesn't know what he's talking about

yes i was making fun of him

I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!

If you don't want to configure your font rendering maybe you should switch to some user oriented distribution like Ubuntu?

r8

tfw linux actually has the best font rendering out of all major OS's

Let's see if I missed something obvious while following wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Font_configuration.

arch is not using ancient freetype

not op here. how's this?

Oh yeah? Why don't you show us your fonts?

can i ask who does this grey on white text shit?