Different English accents

Let's talk about one of my favorite languages, my native tongue, English. Do you say any words a certain way or have a certain slang which is specific to your region?

I've noticed one division is turning -ar to ah, and a to -ar. Brits do this. New Englanders. Aussies.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_raising
youtube.com/watch?v=9rSBmOgpcDE
dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/exit
youtube.com/watch?v=HnzH15hwt48
forvo.com/word/exit/#en
youtube.com/watch?v=htV8pffqhbE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>"Oh, yeah, I saw it last night!"

>Oh yee, A sorit last noit!"

hello

Australian: "nohyt"

Obviously I have a Dutch accent.

And Dutch people like to literally translate figurative speech. Because it's not always clear which sayings and metafores exist in English.

it always fucks me with how inconsistent we are with some a's

for example we will say dahnce and arse

but we'll say fr-ance (unless you're from south australia)

and sometime we just throw them up in the air and choose like with graph (which can be gr-arph or gr-aff)

fucking annoys me

wait no we wont say dahnce

haha i even get it wrong when typing it! what am i like!

I'm of Irish descent so I try my best to speak with an Irish accent irl in order to honor my ancestors

k

>Chicago

Ending sentences with a preposition. "Are you coming with?"... the with is wholly unnecessary. With who? With what? Us? Them? Him? WHATS WITH THE WITH? Dont hear this much anywhere else in the USA, or even the world. I dont hear the French saying "est-ce qu'il vient AVEC"

Whatever.

English is boring and ugly

I worked with a woman who started almost every sentence "Is the thing about that is, ___"
I don't know where she picked that habit up but I wanted to drown her in a lagoon for it before it spreads to any more humans.

Fuck right off.

Get out of my forefathers country.

English has a huge variety of intelligible dialects, ways to express itself and is the lingua franca of the world.

True enough.

Doesn't change anything. Its boring, primitive and sounds bad except for English accent

> i speak with an irish accent to honor my ancestors

kek

Voocaroo

>Is useful
>Language from two of the most powerful cultural forces on the planet

"It's bad cause reasons and primitive"

Pretty sure this is b8

Hiberno-English tbqh

Thanks bae

Its useful. Doesnt change anything about what i said

The West Midlands has this weird thing where we pronounce "ight" as "oyt". E.g. fight->foyt, alright->alroyt.

What flag is that anyway

Which part of the West Midlands? I Think you're chatting bollocks mate.

Are you that same Slovak from the 'EU dropping English as an official language' thread?

Linguistics and accent stuff is pretty fuckin neato for me.

I myself suffer from the Canadian raising en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_raising

Shit like lake when I say it turns into leik and anything with the "au" sound gets rounded out into more of an "ooh". Also anything with uh turns into ah.

youtube.com/watch?v=9rSBmOgpcDE basically this all the time in northern Ontario

epic meme broseph
thats called non-rhoticism. r's are only pronounced if they are followed by a vowel

>There are places without a second person plural
Yall are nuts tbqh familia.

"Y'all" is singular you idiot
"All y'all" is the proper plural pronoun

southern accent is my favorite

I am Greek

I find Scottish accent to be most fascinating

One thing I've learnt in recent weeks is that Americans have pronounce the word "exit" as "egg-zit" and now I cannot stop noticing it.

Seriously, cut that shit out.

>Americans say "how come"
>it's a calque from Dutch "hoekom"

lmao

Why can't Dutch people pronounce /s/"?

the dutch people i've met speak with a nearly perfect english accent. I think because english and dutch are the same language family we pronounce stuff in the same way

you're thinking of Frisians

dutchmen are close but still closer to northern germans than to you

And yankee is from jan kees which was a a sterotypical name for Dutch colonists in New York

We can't? News to me.

dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/exit
I'm only hearing the subtlest of differences.

It's a bit of a stereotype in English that Dutch people can't pronounce /s/. Take for example Goldmember (from Austin Powers) who pronounces every /s/ as an /sh/

youtube.com/watch?v=HnzH15hwt48

maybe, i've only spoken to a couple people from the netherlands so i could be wrong

Thanks but why?

Strange, that's not how I've been hearing it pronounced lately. Compare the UK voices to the USA ones here: forvo.com/word/exit/#en

what I dislike the most about English is the non-rhoticity so Scottish comes as a pleasant surprise

plus vowels are more sensible to a Pole

>not extending vowels

Literally the most unwhite thing you can do

>is the lingua franca of those who speak it

Fixed. Accept the fact more than 6 billion people don't speak your lingua franca.

>inb4 ebin ad hominem
>inb5 "english is spoken by all the ppl worth talking to"

English is actually a relatively recent development from a fusion of middle saxon and high norse. A low IQ trolltongue like you of course confuses elegance with simplicity

A lingua franca just means its used in trade and diplomacy. Not everyone is a stock market man or diplomat

The UK has many different accents

pronoun: y'all
(in the southern US) you (used to refer to more than one person)
"how are you-all?"

>what the fuck is "tig"
>scroll down to London
>oh, they mean "he/it"
Fucking northerners with their retarded words

I've always said "it" but I live in Bucks
Bloody London influence

So is your flag and your mother.

I have a northern Irish accent

Accents in the north do vary alot- alot of northern Irish accents have a twang that sounds nearly American

Alot of accents here are also indistinguishable to Scottish

irish, how is this pronounced?
"tiocfaidh ár lá"

>>inb5 "english is spoken by all the ppl worth talking to"
You're just mad because it is true.

>English
>Elegant

they don't eat bread in the Highlands?

Norwich in English is nor-idge
Norwich in Norwich is n'aarrch

Chucky ar lah

>lingua franca literally means "french language"

you might want to learn some other languages as well. Would help you to really appreciate yours.

if the english were tyrants, francophone colonialists were inhuman devils. Your methods of torture and enslavement, to THIS DAY in the New World and in Africa ,all from your sense of entitlement, will forever remain as some of the darkest pages in human history.

That maps incorrect. Where I live it's tag but on the map it says tig. I've never heard the word tig in my life before.

tig you're it

In Scotland, the native gaelic word is "heroin"

Derby here, I here all three terms used interchangeably.
Kind of stupid how those maps infer only one word is used in any one area.

then why the fucking "f" mate? why the fucking f?

WRONG ! LIES !

In German we say the same "Kommst du mit?"

see this song for a guide to the irish ""language"":

youtube.com/watch?v=htV8pffqhbE

i got a strong new england thing going when i speak. but my slang is mostly that of a new yorker. i kind of half grew up in vermont and mass but now i live in new york state. never really noticed the difference but that is because i am used to speaking with lots of people from around the world.

one big one i get made fun of is the word "hotdog". i say it more like "hutdog". when i say the word "hot" i say it normally but for whatever reason hutdog is hardwired into my brain.

one really strange thing i've noticed about new york state is that in a lot of rural places in western new york and the southern tier, people have this weird kind of half-southern twang to their speech. really strange considering we are almost as north as it gets.

thanks

This is probably where our "coming with" comes from, via yiddish immigrants.

Guess who settled here

A teacake isn't a barm though, it has raisins for starters.

You're a fucking idiot son.

I've learned French, the fact that he is going "OH BUDDY SOME LINGUA FRANCA" despite it not necessarily meaning everyone speaks it is dumb especially considering I bet less people spoken French back when it was lingua franca than people speak English now

They have that twang because they are hicks with the Appalachian dialect influence

To show some respect, of course.

>less
"fewer".

No that's just a normal country accent

>pointsfingertonotefallacybutinthenextsquarerealisesthereisapointtothatargumentcomic.jpg

>english speakers talking about "accents"
>saying pop or soda constitutes an "accent"

Shouldn't you be posting a picture of a vampire and saying goodnight?

That's some other guy.

TBQH you must be on the autism spectrum if you can't recognize accent differences in English. Probably way more variations in dialect than Slovekian.

I'll give you ten American dollars if you find that guy and break his posting finger.

You really expect me to believe that more than one person can afford a computer and internet access in Slovenia?

californian "accent"
best "accent"

Slovenia is pretty wealthy

That's the Slovene equivalent of a numbers station.

>accent differences
>pop vs. soda
ayy

I, for one, am glad that the people who love to live in California, do.
I kid, Slovenes are okay. Really though, find that goodnight guy and break his arms. We'll get a collection up.

We can afford it since we don't have to spend money on free schooling and health care :^)

>numbers station
>(You)

I don't have an accent if I do it's practically non existent

>There are Americans who say this with a straight face