What's the worst part of the PC building process? For me, it's these little bastards

What's the worst part of the PC building process? For me, it's these little bastards.

Forgetting to plug something basic in preventing it from posting

>MOBO Bios is to old for CPU must be updated but can't update without CPU
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET

I love building PC's, and that part is usually so satisfying (when they slide on the pins real tight, they have this very pleasurable resistance to them).

My least favourite part is cable management while upgrading/adding new stuff. Last week I had to dismantle my whole machine just to add an optical drive so my gf could play her old Harry Potter games on CD. DIDN'T EVEN GET LAID SO IT WASN'T WORTH IT.
Or what said.

>these little bastards
RTFM, brainlet.

>build new computer.
>Everything is tight
>No post
>Double check all cables, RAM, PSU
>Not even getting a stand by light...
>Mad as fuck. Maybe i have to RMA the PSU or the mobo.

I eventually realized the PSU power switch was off. I'm a dumb fuck. I know

I hate putting on cpu coolers. I got a cryorig h7 and flipping the mobo over and back like 50 times is fucking cancer. Also I always sperg out when i put on thermal paste.

>What's the worst part of the PC building process?
turning it on for the first time

I still dont have a buzzer plugged into my motherboard, cause I couldnt find a proper slot for it.

I know how to connect them, but they're so small that setting them up in a mini ITX is a nightmare.

>7 year old pc
practically drop the gpu into the slot, mash ramsicks in
>0 year old pc
gpu is put into slot with featherweight gingerness, ramsticks are carefully aligned before inserting

Only cheap mobos don't come with those 'headers' or whatever they are called to take away the hassle of connecting those things.

I fucking hated those too OP. For some reason my HDD LED one was split in two to make it extra retarded.

those old Harry Potter PC games were fucking good though

Happened to me on my second build. You never have to touch it normally.
I plugged the monitors into my motherboard instead of GPU by mistake on my first one.

CPU coolers and the thermal paste is my biggest nightmare, because I at least think really small differences in how much you use can result in +-10°C.

I got a niggabyte motherboard some time ago and it had a surprisingly decent solution for that.
It's a stupid little thing, but it helped.

Realising you're a retard who didn't check the drive bays and taping your SSD to the side wall

If you're using a stock Intel heatsink (which you never should), then installing that cheap piece of shit is by far the worst part of installation.

Everything mentioned so far. Makes you sweat real good.

fuck I want one
will that shit work on other motherboards than niggabyte

>which you never should

Fucking lel. Stock heatsinks are more than enough, they're just a bit louder than your usual aftermarket shit. I fucking hate people who act like stock heatsinks are only made to get thrown away.

Is there actually no way to disable automatic updates in Win10?

But it's already a easy thing to do.
Do you guys have Parkinson or something?
The acctual worst thing is opening/fixing modern laptops.

Its mobo specific. Asus has also had their q-connector or w/e as for at least 10 years I think.

What I hate most about those front-panel cables is when the labels are not printed on the mobo, so you actually have to look up the pinout in the manual.

>But it's already a easy thing to do

Not in tiny but deep cases with short af front panel cables.

While this shouldn't happen... Windows tells your PC will restart in like 30 minutes so you have time to do stuff.

In that time you can modify the time you want it to restart so you can go on without worries.

Again, it shouldn't happen but also don't be stupid.

No.

>What's the worst part of the PC building process?

Taking a month, three PSUs and two mobos to figure out it's actually a non-compliant DP cable that causes your PC to power cycle endlessly.

Not a problem I have a ton of female to male jumpercables lying around.

For me, it's seeing the total cost.

Fuck, I'd rather change the name of the update program to "update.exe1" or something and just change it back to update every once in a while.

Shutting down a user's computer without warning is absolutely unacceptable.

Kill the service windows update in service. While you're at it kill it in task scheduler. Bear in mind killing the service may cause a chain reaction of other MS processes failing to work, like the search feature.

If you do that Windows will repair itself and put in a new update.exe.

>Windows tells your PC will restart in like 30 minutes so you have time to do stuff.

Modify the time to when you're not gonna use your PC.

Does it run hashes on system files when it boots or something? I know that it won't let you make changes to "essential programs" while Windows is running; that feature exists in Win7 as well. I've gotten around it by using a bootable Linux disk.

for me it was putting the intel CPU in it's socket
the sound of pins mashing into the CPU is horrible, I miss pin grid array so much.

>I know that it won't let you make changes to "essential programs" while Windows is running; that feature exists in Win7
What.
Right-click take ownership of target file, let's say 64-bit shell32.
Name target file with a .old extension.
Copy over modified file, make sure it has the same filename.
Done. Enjoy your integrity/not genuine errors in event viewer that you never bother to check on.

These and the CPU cooling. Jesus fuck how much force do you need for them

once windows triggers SFC (which it does with updates and random boots) it'll revert the file along with it's original permissions
so it's rather pointless

Mounting Intel stock coolers

Or, removing very large graphics cards from the top pcie slot without removing anything else

Goddamn molex connectors

Building the whole thing and forgetting to run the CPU power cable behind the mobo

Those plugs in OP

Small, tight cases

CPU cooler with shitty mounting systems. The worst one I've dealt with was an aftermarket LGA775 cooler that refused to click in place. The new shit that companies have come up with are cake.

I don't like shit glowing on the case so I don't bother with the LED ones.

The thing that annoys me most is the I/O backplate. Not because it's annoying to put it on during building but because I constantly forget to put it and don't realize it until I'm done.

>CPU cooler with shitty mounting systems

THIS

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Not if you force sfc to only be manual scans.

Waiting for your case to come from california when everything else shipped from edison nj

Yeah, I think the only company that makes one that isn't proprietary to them is MSI, and even then because pretty much everyone else is using their own proprietary connector it might as well be a proprietary one

Why? I've only installed one but I remember it being really easy.

when I build it and start it, everything spins up and it doesn't output to the screen and doesn't even beep

And driving to the store

Installing huge cpu heatsinks

that happened to me because I forgot to put the 6 power pin connector alongside the 8-pin on the GPU
I thought it was optional, but apparently it wasn't

Literally just had this happen to my laptop on the counter while it was open with a form full of important info.

Windows knows what's best for me; fuck financial aid.

Is that shit even standardized? I feel like the position is different in every mobo

The first pc build was wonky as fuck. I thought i knew how to build one because i knew which component went where, so being the dumb faggot i am i order mobo, ram and cpu online and pick up a seconhand gtx980, a NZXT H2 case, a sketchy 800w psu and made every mistake in the book.
Sperged out when i had opened all the boxes because i didnt know where to start, but after a good 8 hours of fucking up(which i told my girlfriend would take 2) i made it work.

>Leaving excess standoffs (this one surprises me)
>messing up mobo to case wiring because there were so many options to where i could plug in the damn cables
>thinking i knew which ram slots to use
>unsure of whether or not my PSU fried the components on first boot
>lets not forget the disappointment of slapping the shitbox together and failing the boot
>also managing that stale 800watt bootleg-ass wiring with WW2 material
>getting constant red vga flashes when trying to boot
>trying to boot without gpu, ram and both combined
>begin reading up on troubleshooting in the middle of the build
>jump to conclusions of the build before even powering it up
>picking it all apart and putting it back together
>swapping cables, trying different slots
>looking up way too specific yewtube vids on each single matter
>realize i'm missing several powerpins
>fear of breakage throughout the whole process

I tried reading the manuals for the mobo, but it sorta demanded i knew something about the case which i didnt. And I usually think that problem solving is simple and believing in trial and error.

TLDR;
My knowledge was based upon 15 year old me swapping a GPU and plugging in 6pin connectors on an old rig i had 7 years back so i had to learn a few things on the spot. I built this computer a few months ago and I've replaced the secondhand parts and finally I feel like I know how to build a computer.

>Not respecting user, the "owner" of wincurryniggger [spoiler]gold [/spoiler]10.

Fucking Intel coolers

>made every mistake in the book.
Did you use mustard in lieu of thermal paste? No? Then you didn't make every mistake in the book.

This board is not like the other boards, faggot. Install gentoo.
The best part? Compare the intel stock coolers through the years. Shit gets smaller, and smaller, and smaller. Also flimsier.

Oh fuck forgot to mention I also swapped cooling paste on my old computer, so I had that going for me

*clicks*

>My least favourite part is cable management while upgrading/adding new stuff
This. I remember taking so much care with it when I first build my PC, but this weekend when I added a new SSD, I just crammed it in an empty optical drive bay and stuffed the loose cables in.

>try to open shitty HP laptop to fix the fan
>completely fuck it up
>get a thinkpad to replace it
Feels good

Kek I have 2 ssd dangling in this manner

>a bit louder
yeah ok i switched out my stock one with a 60$ aftermarket cooler and i can't even hear it anymore. the intel cooler is a goddamn jet engine

>I plugged the monitors into my motherboard instead of GPU by mistake on my first one.

Same. Took me some time to realise...

I cut myself on my heatsink

These things are nice. When did they start including them, anyway? I built my PC around 3 years ago with a pretty high end Gigabyte mobo and it didn't come with one, but I've built a few systems for other people recently and they've had them.

Not that the cables really bug me, though. I just make sure to do them before I start dropping other components in, and keep a bright flashlight handy so I can actually see what I'm doing.

cable management, I fucking hate it, I have 2 SSDs and 3 HDDs in my desktop and I just do the bare minimum to make sure that shit isn't going to block a fan or whatever, my SSDs are also just sitting randomly in the case somewhere because I can't be bothered to mount / screw them in

>CPU power cord
Every FUCKING time

I've built two computers, one for my sister and the other is the one I shitpost on right now (built my own first though). Most definitely the scariest part was installing the CPU cooler and applying the thermal paste. Went with the bean method (a little less than a bean, just a small blob), temps are just fine. The Hyper 212 EVO is a fucking bitch to install if you're alone, in fact I couldn't do it alone, luckily I had a friend to help me. How the fuck are you supposed to balance the mobo on it's side, hold the bracket with one hand and apply nuts and bolts with the other? I was a little afraid of letting the mobo rest on anything with a metal plate loose under it so I wanted to keep it kinda upright, like it would be attached to a case. Also, I'm not sure if the Define R5 is supposed to have the blue LED as the power light or the HDD activity light. Right now my power light is blue.

>Right now my power light is blue.
It's supposed to be blue, same as Fractal R4.

Anybody else have trouble getting the Cpu 8-pin power cable in securely? I've done 4 builds, 5 if you count transplanting my system into a new case. 3 times that bastard cable has given me trouble. Twice with evga power supplies, once with a corsair Rmx550.

It's been a bitch since forever.

Then I installed it the other way to my sister's computer lmao. She has a white power light and a blue HDD activity. The white LED looks way better as a power light though, but the blue LED is annoyingly bright as it is and it would drive me fucking nuts with its flickering. Then again you could probably leave it unattached.

The 24 pin is a horrible, sharp edged piece of shit.

fuck those and fuck those SATA power cables

>SATA power cables
There is nothing wrong with them.

I know right.
On my Acer laptop to change the coolant you need to take the whole motherboard out of the laptop casing.

Yeah, when I build my first PC I also asked for help with the CPU cooler. I have no idea how you're supposed to do it alone without putting the mobo in a bench vise.
And I also went with the bean method but then I spread it out myself with the tip of the syringe the paste came in. Everything went fine and my temps where always between 20-30°C for around the first two years.

Cable management. Such a little pain in the butt.

I say little because even that is an small inconvenience at best. PC assembly isn't bad at all.

It ain't hard, but goddamn the first time (and even the second) was fucking nerve-racking. The whole "install this super heavy heatsink on top of the CPU by screwing it super tight" part had me sweating like a madman. Had to be careful not to drop any sweat on the mobo. Sometimes some sweat got into my eyes and then I had difficulty seeing anything.

Oh man, these fuckers are truly bitches, my mobo doesn't have the name of the cables written next to the pins on it, only on the manual, I usually don't use manuals so I didn't think about it, took me a hour to realize.
When I was a kid, one of these pins was crooked, the PC kept rebooting in loop, but I had no idea it was the cause (it was the pwoer button pin) because I trusted the technician who claimed to have repaired the PC.
I was being scammed obviously, he didn't repair shit, only formatted and deleted all my stuff, that piece of shit, he made me change the whole mobo only later.

Bought XFX Xtr PSU.
In sale at 80$ CAD.
Wasn't into aesthetics much.

Hanging out in Sup Forumsuts thread.
Try to improve guts aesthetics.

Shop for sleeved cable.
Only cablemods has some compatible blue sleeved

90 USD for the cable.
45 USD for shipping to Canada.

175 CAD. Fuck it! Pull the trigger.

Post Notice come in. Going to post Office to pick up the cables!

Hey user you need to pay 25$ fee cause your ordered from US.!

TL;DR :80$ PSU , 200$ Sleeved cable. Worst buyers regret.

>The whole "install this super heavy heatsink on top of the CPU by screwing it super tight" part had me sweating like a madman.
>user is too young to remember the horrors of AMD Socket A

Used to be simple and convenient. Tie cables together. Tuck extras up above the optical drive. No hassle, and looked good. Never liked this trend of tucking everything behind the motherboard tray, and those black boring liquorice looking cables.

Case selection is very limited when you care about stuff like SATA backplanes and proper supports for long expansion cards too.

Genuinely astounds me Intel is even allowed to get away with this, fuck them and their Jewish ways.

>power off PC
>turns back on by itself after 2 seconds

Cable Managing, always

Ya got me. But please, do tell, since you caught my interest.

only a problem on cheap motherboards where the board has no markings and the instruction is printed in size 4 on black and white paper with the cheapest printer

My board came with an easy connector for those things. The only issue was for some reason the hdd led was backwards, other than that those weren't the worst for me. The damn gpu power cable, I had to buy extensions because the ones from my PS were so stiff and hard to work with.

they need a fucking standard for these lil niggers and make it a single plug

Intel cooler is okayish since core2 era. Unless its p4ht era or pentium d sure it's the worse. AMD on the other hand started to drop its shit since am2.

ASUS doesn't have this problem :^)

Disable power on by lan

Cheap tin cases that cut your fingers.

It's basically the same thing but smaller

Literally never had a problem with them, even with older motherboards that didn't have the connection scheme printed on the board.