Intel’s 12-core i9-7920X features 2.9 GHz base clock

KEK, Loltel is literally rebranding Xeon processors as Skylake-X and trying to pass it off as a consumer processor.

LMFAO

videocardz.com/newz/intels-12-core-i9-7920x-features-2-9-ghz-base-clock

Other urls found in this thread:

videocardz.com/70978/intel-preparing-multiple-6-core-coffee-lake-cpus
zolkorn.com/en/amd-ryzen-7-1800x-vs-intel-core-i7-7700k-mhz-by-mhz-core-by-core-en/view-all/
download.intel.com/pressroom/kits/chipmaking/Making_of_a_Chip.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>base clock

How does that even matter?

>Base clock doesn't matter

Are you retarded?

There's a correlation between base clock and overclockability

because turbo is is on a couple cores at most

Literally this. Anyone buying this chip is going to have the proper liquid nitrogen setup you need to hit the 3.1 all-core boost clock anyway.

That's the max freq you'll have when doing something useful.

> rebranding Xeon processors as Skylake-X and trying to pass it off as a consumer processor
Why is that news? HEDT CPUs shared the socket with Xeons since forever.

>rebranding
I'm desensitized from this practice.

I bet it will turbo on 8 cores as far as Ryzen will overclock at all.

>haha games intel
>single core perf
>it doesnt matter

>Not realizing Jewtel hasn't been this desperate since Pentium 4

And overclocks to 5.0GHz, so whats the problem?

Now comsumers are going to have to glue together fucks to give and buy this hunk of shit.

Sauce on turboboost?
I mean stock not retarded OC.

In reality it throttles at stock clocks.

I can't believe how incompetent they are.

Play to your fucking strengths, release a 7700k for $250 and gut the main consumer market.

Enjoy that housefire.

There is no point to the 7700k, it's about to be discontinued and taken over by Coffee Lake 8700k 6c/12t (I heard rumors it might be supported on Z170 too).

videocardz.com/70978/intel-preparing-multiple-6-core-coffee-lake-cpus

never going to happen, muh 60% margins

>overclocks to 5.0GHz
even if it did, you'd need a separate 1000W power supply just for the CPU and a constant waterfall of liquid nitrogen not to melt your neighbourhood

It can only get worse from the 10-core model.
Intel's architecture can't handle that many cores at those frequencies

WTF Intel???
> pic related
At this rate, the 18-core i9 will be 2.2GHz base lmao

holy fuck amd didn't even give intel a pillow to bite

You're dumb if you don't know Mhz by Mhz Intel is stonger, Intel 3000MHz is about as powerful as 3700 AMD MHz

You know that MHz are stadardized and the same everywhere, right?

Clocks aren't important for high core counts, efficiency is, and Intel is targeting efficiency with these chips

> that's what Intel shills believe
kek

hi jew

Due to the new surprises with the X299 platform like exploding VRMs and lol chainmail/ringmeshTM this should be updated.

> 4GHz boost
Is that on all 16 cores?

This is the high-end desktop platform. It's supposed to be powerful, not efficient.
Also, Zen has the better energy efficiency AND performance while also being cheaper. Doesn't bode well for Intel.

very efficient yes

Hi Brian.

Only 4 cores, all cores will be 3.5 or 3.6

>threadripper won

Best timeline

If it had not been for miner fags and memory cartels colluding it would have been a glorious time to build a Ryzen PC. Instead we have Intel jewing and GPU's and memory at extortionate prices.

Fuck this world.

What about the R7? On the 1800X, only 2 cores get at 4.0GHz?

2.9 GHz base and it will still consume 600W to do any meaningful work.

The reverse is true, strangely enough.

SHUT UP
I CAN'T TAKE THIS ANYMORE
I HATE AMD SO MUCH

Yes.

more power is better, r-right?

niggawatts

Rolling

mmmh no?

Dumb jewpoo, Intel is dead.

;-;

Delete this

Watts is a measure of energy, more energy is better.

Or you'd rather tell me you'd want a 500W car battery instead of a 2000W one?

>what is architecture?
>what is l2 cache?
>what is pipeline?

more power = more powerful

Impressive rebound

Rollingg

So why is the Intel $1200 and AMD only $700? INtel isn't worried at all by the poor showing by AMD, Intel knows that it's a tier or two higher.

10 Intel cores > 14 AMD cores

Aktualy efficency is more power if the power is less.
making less = more is not possible so making less, less less is better. like pressing a banana to get all its juice instead of eating it.

Watt is the unit for power, not energy.

Also, you're a gigantic faggot, more faggot is obviously better, right?

Jewpoos are braindead.

Serious answer, Intel has to fund its fabs.
It literally needs its margins, that's why you can't see Intel dropping prices.

it's because of Intel's 1.7% yields

Whatever you're smoking, I want some.

Their 18 core Xeon mold loses to Threadraper which gets ~3050 in this benchmark. You've got it the other way around.

>Intel has to lose 5k+ on each chip they sell
Mhmmm yess.

Compared to the Xeons? They were lower binned anyway, weren't they?

Watch their 18 core clock at .9 ghz to keep thermals in check

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Am I reading this right? Aren't Intel's remaining advantages over AMD better IPC and higher clocks this go-around? And Threadripper is nullifying the latter?

The difference in IPC is insignificant, MOAR GIGAHURTZ is all they have left. At the cost of housefires.

quality bait

4+0 or 2+2?

zolkorn.com/en/amd-ryzen-7-1800x-vs-intel-core-i7-7700k-mhz-by-mhz-core-by-core-en/view-all/

Doesn't say, but if it's 2+2 then Raven Ridge is gonna be funny.

We heard this nonsense before the current crop of X299 CPUs were released. We all saw how that turned out.

As hot as Pentium 4's were, their TDP only capped out at 115w, and D's at 130w

What does it matter when TR 16 core will all core boost to 3.5/3.6 GHz and destroy it for $200 less?

>Clearly showing that at the same clock intel is 10% faster

Yes, it is a 10% difference, not a
>Intel 3000MHz is about as powerful as 3700 AMD MHz
difference.

10.361/9.157 ~ 1.13
3000*1.13 = 3390
3390/3700 = 0.916
user was off by less than 9%

It's the opposite, brainlet. Learn to read.

ayy i'm stupid, sorry.

3300/3000=10%
3700/3000=23%

He was off by 13% at least.

That's the only effective metric. Their turbo for these only work for 1 core.

>overclock Intel 12core to 5 Ghz
>PSU explodes because 1000 watt usage of which CPU is ~600w

Got me

>being a corelet and hertzlet at the same time
Wew lads

This is the result of their choice to go with a Mesh interconnect for their cores.
> Each node in a mesh has to act as an endpoint and a router, it has to draw more power to operate.

This is what's causing the inferno on the chip + monolithic die (heat density). This is also what's causing the pronounced power draw. So, from what it seems.. they incur a 300/400mhz reduction in clocks from 8 core onward per 2 cores they add on.

The kicker of it all : Depending on which layer in the die the mesh network (it be sensitive) is located, this is also the reason why they couldn't go solder w.r.t to connecting the heat spreader.

While a thick bundle can likely handle the heat of a solder job, that grout like mesh interconnect probably would melt.

Slide 9 :
download.intel.com/pressroom/kits/chipmaking/Making_of_a_Chip.pdf

so now intel lost the only thing they had going for them, clockspeed advantage?

They still have a slight 10% IPC advantage, at least until Zen 2 comes out. But yeah the clockspeed advantage is all but gone except for a few people willing to run custom loops and delid etc.

No, this is the result of resorting to
HUEG VECTORS
MOAR L2 (Bulldozer much?)

the IPC advantage they had is now gone too, those clocks are way too low for it to win over amd overall performance

IPC advantage is still there but is arguably now irrelevant.

this is what I meant

>miner fags and memory cartels colluding
If I was getting anything from "memory cartels" you couldn't even BELIEVE how many gaymen cards I would have snatched by now.
But seriously, mining cards + mobos + probably other shit are coming out soon to segment the market so if you have money set aside for a gaming pc, just buy the components that aren't marked up right now and wait a bit for the market segmentation.

So I'm looking through the Xeons at what we know about the 7920 so far (12 cores, and a couple claims of 16.5Mb of L3), and 2 pop up: the Silver 4116 and the Gold 5118. Can we use them as a guesstimate for a baseline of where this will end up? Any benchmarks of them? I can already see the 5118's max turbo is 3.2Ghz, not really seeing it go much farther on the 7920, at least on all cores.