I think I'm gonna unironically buy myself a Brick OS device. I need calls, e-books and sometimes a music player...

I think I'm gonna unironically buy myself a Brick OS device. I need calls, e-books and sometimes a music player, I don't wanna pay $1000 for 8 cores 8 gigs that I'm not gonna use but which are gonna eat battery like crazy.
Did I judge right? Should I do it?

Other urls found in this thread:

medium.com/user-camp/windows-phone-developers-just-let-it-go-f5a0f37a9e44
youtube.com/watch?v=XzU_0g7amkk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You can get them for less than 70 dollars. I heard they are great. Fuck it go ahead

My parents have them. Great devices, no lags, insanely great battery life(3 days with WiFi on). Only downside is NO APPS & NO GAEMS. And often software that is free on Android cost monies on M$ $tore

You only get amazing battery life because you have no reason to even touch it, so it's technically unused.

My mom constanly has Normiebook and other shit running on it. And honestly, neither Android no gayOS would last 3 days even if nothing is running in background and you never touch them.

My cousin had a nice lumia

Amazing battery life, camera, signal strength through case and the weight.

The thing is that Microsoft treats it as a companion device so it's a fucking monster for remote controling your windows system.

I'm a ricefag unfortunately so I continue to use Android devices

>Brick OS device
Why the derogatory term when they're the single best phones out there right now?

I had a Lumia 800 on WP7, then a Lumia 640 on WP8, and I fucking loved it. It's reliable and stable as fuck, it just fucking works, system is incredibly light and runs blazingly fast despite having in general half the hardware specs of Androids, and the UI is TITS, like people gathered around a table and thought "wow we're gonna make a UI for mobile devices, what should we do so that this UI is actually fitting for a mobile device used by a human being, so that it's easy to read, easy to use with a finger, and does the things human beings expect it to do?"

I switched to Android and I just fucking hate it, and no amounts of customization can possibly fix this shit, because I've got a gripe against every single piece of UI from all available apps. Oh yeah, there's apps, and there's no apps on WP, but it's quite the sad benefit when you see all the things it's missing.

Don't listen to these faggots OP. I still use a Lumia 635 and it's an absolute nightmare I'd say. The browser's rendering is horrible, no better alternatives in store. If you like messaging people, it's a no-go, there's no facebook messenger for it anymore. It has a bug too present in many phones and still unfixed, which restarts the device randomly once or twice a day, pretty frustrating.

But, if you only want to listen to music, it has some really nice music player apps (Loco, foobar2000), the camera is decent, it's cheap as hell, can use adblock and stuff through jailbreaking (painful to do it though), and it got a pretty nice fluid responsive UI imo. Also, there are some mediocre Sup Forums apps in the store too, none of them bad but can't be compared with the droid ones.

Oh and it got the best youtube apps on the market from third parties, they are really really good!

I would mention that I'm using a 512 MB device, performance is better on 1GB ones.

Just got a Lumia 640 few weeks ago, I often use twitter, go on Sup Forums...
This phone is great, the battery last at least 3 days, the screen is really good, and the system is damn fast and smooth.
Besides you can find it at a very low price, I highly recommend it.

My bro has Lumia 950xl or something like that, not sure about the number(best one?).
Anyway, spcs are crazy, snapdragon 820 or something like that,2 or 3 gb ram, honestly, i didnt see better screen on any android or ios.
You can see its expensive(not somenchinkshit with brand name (Samsung,LG,Apple)slapped on it),build quality is honestly superb.
You can see Nokia is not some 3rd world tech recycler, fucking MS dropped the ball on Lumias.
All that power(i think its somewhere around Samsung galaxy note 5 or 6,but without all that shitty bloat, phone can breathe) ruined by lack ofsoftware and to be honest,kinda dumb and unececarily "complicated",overdesigned UI.
Fucking shame Finns gave their national gold to Americans so they can break it and say:"oh oh, we didnt meant to."
We as of now dont have serious mobile device dev in EU(mobiwire,alcatel are just chink crap branded in eu), we dont have any serious corp/dev that could build smartphone from the ground up.
Also, smartphones took route of PCs, chinks build their own smartphones, as in totally custom, they buy mbo,soc,screen,battery and asemble it themselves, kids do that shit there as we waisted our youth building pc rigs for neighbours and relatives.
Fuck, i digress, buy that nokia, it is just a fuckin phone ,at the end ofthe day.

Not him, but also hardware is godtier. I bought myself a Moto G5 and I hate the yellowish shit panel compared to the true blacks of my Lumia 920

Windows Phone is great, too bad about the lack of app support though.

I love my 550.
Latest updates kinda fucked the battery life that's down to two days, but whatever.

Even the "lack of app" meme is just a meme nowaday.
Only cons is that probably they're conna end support in the not so distant future

I havent even considered these as phones. What's a good one to try?

>year 2014
>work in phone service
>have to deal with tonns of "my phone is lagging really hard" android shit
>roots, custom recovery's, custom rom's, xda-developer, 4pda all this cancer
>iPhone is good, no such problems at all but i don't like iOS and their phones are expensive.
>that was just usuall boring as shit day, and there it comes
>HTC 8x, need to replace broken screen
>screen comes, replace it, turn on, its my first time seeing windows phone OS
>it was WP8, and hooly shit, UI is so smooth, and feels so nice
>hmm its probably runs powerfull cpu
>Dual-core 1.5 GHz Krait
>1gb memory
>mind blown
>decide to use this phone for a few day before giving it back to customer
>day i returned this phone i got lumia 925
>still use it, still favorite phone, favorite os
I like WP and don't think ill ever use any other mobile OS in near future.

I liked my 925 and 830, but a lot of developers have been pulling out of the game recently.

Oh and I forgot to add that a lot of the Nokia Wangblows phones continue the meme of being indestructible. I can't remember how many times my 830 would slide out of my pocket onto tile and the body would be fine.
I honestly think it scratched a floor one time while the frame wasn't dented.

I'm still updating maps for HERE on my 520 long after they pulled it from the store. The voice gives me directions that contradict what's on the display which seems to be correct anyhow.

It's a shame that Microsoft is killing WP because they were fucking great phones. The UI is infinitely better than the 1990s Palmtop tier crap on Android and IOS, and it runs with zero lag.

The app situation is a shame but all that means is that it doesn't have 982943 fart apps. I have a upnp player on my Lumia 800 (WP7) for fucks sake.

WP10 screwed the entire thing up something major though.

medium.com/user-camp/windows-phone-developers-just-let-it-go-f5a0f37a9e44
:-(

> neither Android no gayOS would last 3 days even if nothing is running in background and you never touch them.
My G6 regularly lasts 3+ days with shit running in the background, assuming I don't use it for heavy web browsing.

What gets me about the apps is a lot of major developers have pulled out, but there's still a lot of garbage. Like, there's thousands of DragonBall Z and Naruto encyclopedia/fan apps, literal clones of games released by an ocean of south Asian companies, and other general garbage, but you can't get Amazon.

Is there a filtered store app/recommendation site?

>2011, get Samsung Focus with Windows Phone 7 a few weeks before Mango update, absolutely love it
>Shits on any iPhone or Android out
>2013, get red Nokia Lumia 920
>Amazing camera and one of the first with the Zeiss lense, good specs, wireless charging 4 years ago because forward thinking and I still use the pad for my S8+

Windows Mobile 8.1 at the time was insane, smooth and responsive, Cortana didn't shit the bed like today on W10M. Probably my favorite version that M$ released.

>Lumia 920 has served well, gone through tons of abuse even for a Nokia. Favorite and toughest phone ever, hands down.

>2015, Get Lumia 640xl for insurance replacement.
>Phablet, nice build quality and screen, no real gripes

>Until

>The past few months/year of W10 mobile has made the platform boring, unusable, and unreliable.

>Fast and Slow Insider Builds destroyed the platform for me but honestly nothing could compete with late 8.1 to early/mid 10

Be warned, there's no optimum PDF reader, W8 had a really nice reader from microsoft, but in w10 it got discontinued for edge, and both edge and adobe have a knack for using 1/3 of your screen with UI at the minimum accidental touch. Also, need 2 different epub readers because not even one can read all books. But besides some minor gripes, if you dont need to use any of the extra apps, its a great cheap smartphone.

maybe try blackberry too?

How's the Android compat?

great
you can even sideload google play services and get sync and shit but you need to patch certain apps (mostly ones that use location) and you take a hit to the battery

even without it most apps just work except for the ones that heavily rely on google play services obviously

theres also several compatibility modes that let you zoom out or force a 16:9 ish aspect ratio

currently on my passport Ive got clover spotify my banking apps whatsapp and foss version of telegram. Still get 1.5 days of battery

Lumias had bretty nice build quality, and camera too.
Loved my old 630 till Microsoft decided to kick it from the windows 10 mobile list. Now my uncle has it and seems quite happy with it.

I kinda miss it but my Galaxy J7 is a great replacement. Muh amoled screen

Has anyone here had one of the crazy hi-res camera Lumias? Was it worth it?

About the epub readers, i thought the same thing till I tried LightReader. You should definitely give it a try if you haven't yet.

Yes, at least back in the days

I Had:
Lumia 1520, 830, 730, 520.
I regret the money I lost buying those pice of shit!
"Wp8 will fix that" "wp8.1 will bring apps" "wp cyan is on the waayayyy" "wm10 has iOS and Android apps support"
Fuck that shit

If that's a 920, great camera.
My mom had the 1020 and the camera was insane.

This guy seems delusional.

>the Store is booming on the desktop, whether users like it or not.
I do not know a single person who actually uses the fucking Windows store. Many people still use Windows 7 because they don't want to use the garbage added with later versions of Windows. Of those who do use Windows 10, they use it more or less like they use Windows 7 -- as a Desktop platform.

Yes, Windows 10S requires the use of the store. So did those Windows RT tablets, and nobody fucking bought them. If no one uses the store, no one will make applications for the store. If no one makes applications for the store, no one will use 10S. If no one uses 10S, there is no "companies will have to release for the store because of 10S."

>I do not know a single person who actually uses the fucking Windows store.
Are the people you know representative of Windows users? If you're on Sup Forums chances are they aren't.

The difference between RT and 10S is that RT was just Windows Phone on a huge screen. 10S is still a """"""proper""""" Windows in the way it's used and how apps are handled (in windows).
And while I do not use Windows apps on the laptop (other than the mail app and groove music), I can see Modern apps getting a much better reception than the abomination they tried back in the Windows 8/8.1/RT days.

Also there's the thing about Microsoft slowly replacing legacy programs for app versions. And you have to consider also the fact that the majority of laptop and pc users aren't autistic enough to downgrade their OS to a previous version just because of muh apps. Many of them just staly with whetever OS comes with it.

We might hate it or not, but this whole app ecosystem in Windows 10 is way better than on the 8/8.1/RT period. There's just a lot of apps that weren't present back then too.

It's still worth the money considering it's relatively cheap everywhere. And if you're just into that kind of stuff on a phone then it's an absolute steal

I still use my L930 and a great goto companion for my laptop, syncs all things that I want to sync, cortana doesn't bother me anymore unlike before, and still last a couple of days with data and hotspot on.

Would you get a Surface Phone if Microsoft made one? I was thinking about it and I can imagine a comfy/sturdy phone if MS got their shit together

not all the way lunia, but 950xl is my favorite phone ever. Have been using an android for a few things lately and reminded me what garbage it is compared to the undeniable brilliance that is win mobile. some guy once said something like "to be great one must be willing to be slightly unpopular" I don't think its what they were going for... but fuck.. its great and slightly unpopular.

Same user here. I'm using it as a PMP with foobar2000 mobile (which actually got a recent update), streaming music right now. I think I prefer having GPS and media on one mobile device and a calling and texting on another.

Lumia 640 owner here.
Phone is great, nut make sure that you get a big enough memory card for it.

The Russian 2ch had a bunch of Lumia cultists and a permanent Lumia general when last time I look at it.

So comfy

Windows Phone used to be great
Windows 10 Mobile is absolute shit. On any level of hardware. Stay away

youtube.com/watch?v=XzU_0g7amkk

Nokia still has one of the best camera phones till today

this desu.
reverted back to WP8.1 and its comfy

WP7/8 ran on CE kernel, WP10 runs on NT. Why Microsoft decided to change is beyond me. I mean, I can find a number of reasons why they'd do that, but I find a big one why they shouldn't at all.

And that is?

CE runs on planes, oilrigs, power plants, and plenty other critical infrastructure. NT even on your home desktop is a joke.

That explains why WP8/8.1 runs smoothly on older hardware.

You can spend like 170 on 8 cores and 3gb ram and deecent battery (6000mah). Oukitel k6000 pro is the name. Wanna 10000mah battery? K10000pro

WM 6 and WP7 ran on CE, 8 was on NT

My Redmi Note 3 Pro disagrees. It has been disconnected since sunday night and since I am not a heavy phone user it has gathered a bit over 3h SOT during this week (in my country its thursday noon as im posting this) and it still has 30% left. On WiFi all the time since disconnecting it, I have been staying at home.

kernel has nothing to do with it
see
Besides, Gentoo (with Linux kernel) uses 200MB ram with i3 and most android phone (with Linux kernel) uses more than 1.5 GB ram on average. It doesn't make it run better, just states that kernel has much less effect on end user experience.

Would MS allow a real alternative browser in the store or are they cunts about it like Apple and demand that you use their rendering engine?

quad core 1GB Ram android and you can find all the apps for what you need running fine, price is also right

I bought Win8 phone few years back and I have mixed feelings. The specs and build quality is excelent and even cheap. It is (was) fast.

There isn't good PDF viewer, alternative music player that handles more formats, not sure about Win10, but mine uses Internet Explorer and quite a few pages don't work or render terribly. you are forced to use M$ account to install and update stuff.

Sever months after I bought it, there was Win8.1 update and since that time the phone crashes, freezes and loosing signal until reboot. Another few months after that Win10 came out and apps stopped getting updates.

What's Brick OS? I looked it up and only found some obscure lego thing.

I have a 640 on WP10. Its fine for listening to music and reading ebooks. Thats it. The browser will constantly reload pages so you cant read long things in it. I could have spent that $40 something better though.

windows phone is best dumbphone

This. Normies wont rush up to you to make fun of you like they will if they see a flip phone.

>decide to use this phone for a few day before giving it back to customer

Any comments on the blackberry priv?
It runs android, but i want some opinions on it .

Ugly and hated.

Poe's law is strong with you.

In what world do normies do that? Are you in high school, user?

I was working at mcdonalds and then a thrift shop. Every time i had the phone out some fuck had to comment on it. They were the type of person to cry about not having the latest iThing though so i guess you are luckier and have co-workers who arent shit.

Bizarre. And were they young? Were they women, niggers, or both?

All of the above including mexicans and one manchild who was in his late 30s and wore minecraft tee shirts. As i said, the iThing crowd.

I tried really hard to like mine. Returned within 30 days the first time I bought one, sold after 3 months the 2nd time.

I'm not sure it was so much the Blackberry part as it was the Android part that I didn't care for.

If I bought another one, I wouldn't upgrade to Android 6 though, but that's just me.

You have my sympathies, user. I hope you are working on finding a position away from those dregs of society.

I had a lumia 925, I still kind of miss it and I miss the old lumia design. For me it was a great phone, the browser was good (at least for the time), imageboard browser was the GOAT Sup Forums app, it was cheap, camera was good, and screen was gorgeous, it was also quick for having already outdated specs. What forced me to switch though was normie social media and apps.

My tip is: Check through the appstore and see if you can find a decent alternative to everything you need.

>unusable, and unreliable.
I agree with EVERYTHING you typed.
I bought a Lumia 950 second hand and the seller did his best to sell me for the most he thought he could get. I got it for less than $100 and I am glad that I did.

Windows 10 Mobile on Lumia 950 is so ruddy unreliable and unstable. Random reboots and inconsistent battery life. I regret nothing.

if I buy now iphone 4s with newest ios avaible - it will brick my phone to death making it slow and no aps avaible?

Are you Indian?

Wat
I have lumia640 which should run win10m shittier than 950, and i have great battery life and no reboots and unstable shit.
Maybe you should do a clean install?

Th-thanks Dad

Don't forget that software updates are generally months if not a year behind that of IOS and Android.