Do hackers actually use Kali? What makes it preferable over other distros?

Do hackers actually use Kali? What makes it preferable over other distros?

Other urls found in this thread:

genua.de/produkte/high-resistance-firewall-genugate/zertifizierung.html
genua.de/en/products/high-resistance-firewall-genugate/certification.html
youtube.com/watch?v=7t96m2ynKw0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Yes

Concentration of tools

You can make any linux distro into pentesting OS if you download all tools kali has

it just works

Everysingle distro can do the same shit.

Fuck no. I use Fedora Security Labs. You can actually install it and it'll work as intended.

meh just make your own install scripts instead

Comes with lots of pentesting tools out of the box so it's handy

You can do it with any distro, this just allows you to download an iso, make a livecd, plug it in and start working

I agree with you user.
People think it's some l44t distro but half of it is simply bloat.
Just download the things you need on any other distro.

no
it's just a script kiddie distro

Real hackers such as myself use Qubes

>People think it's some l44t distro
who thinks that besides the writers of mr robot (and some kids that watched it)

What about ParrotOS?

>using Memes OS

use OpenBSD

No
It's skid shit for pentest retards
Your os doesn't matter, all you need is Ida pro, qemu, and a compiler of your choice

Begginers do cuz most of them do not know what they are looking for and what is there to get i.e. they lack idea of searching, so i kali i get some names and idea of what kind of tools there is

Hackers may play with a lot of different distros to check them out and see what they have to offer.

I am a hacker but I don't do pentesting or break into other people's computers. I consider it to be supremely rude and uncool behavior. My current hackish project is playing with SDR and I do a lot of teaching of nubs so that we can continue to spread the good news of the Computer Revolution.

I just use Ubuntu even though I enjoy using Slackware the bestest.

>I am a hacker
No you aren't, shut the fuck up

No, they use windows 95

kali is basically debian testing but with extra repos and it's much more stable, in my experience, than using straight testing. Only real difference, aside from that, is a bunch of pentesting tools which can of course be removed.

There're a million tools in there, it's the most convenient distro for pentesters and digitical forensics.

>No you aren't
Then define a hacker, user.

Anyone who calls themselves a 'hacker' is a retard that's never found 0day in their lives
Self proclaiming yourself as a hacker is an instant way to show that you, in fact, have no security knowledge at all

Yes,thats why i haven't payed for internet in 3 years now.

What is your hacker handle? Mine is richardxstallmanxxx

Not him, but you're pretty fucking retarded. Hacking=/=Cracking.

>use OpenBSD
>muh only two critical cve in 20years
No one is crazy enough to waste time and money to review the code of a hobby OS.
No one seriously uses that thing, if I'm wrong I curious to see what sysadmins who used it have to say about it.

That's what every faggot from hacker news says too
Engineering isn't hacking

The government's anti-hacker propaganda campaign from the 80s is all up in his cute little brain. It's not his fault.

finding exploits has very little to do with being a hacker, user.

>tfw too intelligent to discern between reality and stereotype
You don't happen to browse Sup Forums, do you?

Engaging with computer programming for recreation and enjoyment is one aspect hacking, user. You are mistaking the information security industry for actual hacking, but the confusion is because of a US government propaganda campaign in the 1980s.

>Install openbsd for muh security
>No drivers for network card

How can I get malware now? It is truly secure

Wrong, it is the quintessential quality of being a hacker
If you're talking about that retard definition from Eric Raymond, you're wrong, and he's a dipshit it grandpa who doesn't understand words evolve
If you don't have an Ida pro license you literally don't know how computers work and aren't talented

>Found shit loads of 0days
>Call myself a hacker

Normies don't really understand what a vulnerability researcher is.

Normies couldnt rop if their lives depend on it
99.99999999999% of the people who are self proclaimed 'hackers' are idiot node devs who call themselves hackers to sound edgy and cool.

>hurrdurr if you don't use my definition you're a retard

I'm using the definition from the first entry on Google
So yeah, you are a retard
It's like trying to argue "hehehehe faggot means bundle of sticks!!!!!"

I understand assembly, user. It's not that complicated. I worked with MIPS in college, and have been playing with my ARM boxen on a regular basis, but for x86 it takes a lot of time to really be fluent and it is never worth writing code by hand because CISC instruction sets are really big and unwieldy. But instead of working to reverse engineer proprietary software to economically benefit an industry that is based on legal policy that I disagree with, I only do that kind of work with open source software.

You're just a corporate cuck who works for the benefit of the few so you can get a few bug bounties.

You aren't special, user.

I sell 0day worth more than your house
Don't speak to me again open sores shitheel

So you sell 0days on the black market so that organized crime can blackmail plebs?

Don't kid yourself. You aren't a hacker, you are a thug that uses computers as their extortion tool instead of a pipe wrench or a pistol.

>I have no argument, only anger
>Maybe if I make up a story I will seem credible

I don't call myself a hacker, I sell 0day to contracting companies who then sell it to the government
You aren't a hacker, you're a web dev
You can't have the infamy of the word 'hacker' with disregarding it's true meaning

>

>mfw I used kali to crack the neighbor's WEP key
>mfw their router has the default password set

>No one seriously uses that thing, if I'm wrong I curious to see what sysadmins who used it have to say about it.
German government uses firewalls that run openBSD.
in fact those firewalls are the only certified ones that federal agencies are allowed to use.

genua.de/produkte/high-resistance-firewall-genugate/zertifizierung.html
>The only highly resistant firewall in the world
kek

now shut the fuck up, nigger.

>genua.de/produkte/high-resistance-firewall-genugate/zertifizierung.html
genua.de/en/products/high-resistance-firewall-genugate/certification.html

just because I was too blind to see that you could actually change languages on their site

well just thinking back to the bundestag-hack affair, it's no use if the problem is already inside the network - namely humans.

kek

I don't do web development.

bundestag is even worse than any other agency. They fuck shit up so badly. Way too many points of failure that can crash the whole system.
But I dont have too many insideinfos and if I did, I would not be allowed to give them out kek.

Prolly getting spied on now anyways :-)

Of course we are only talking in the hypothetical sense - anything we guess correctly is purely by coincidence.
And yes they truly are the worst, well there's not much you can expect from agencies not following basic BSI-regulations anyways.

for my network security course at university I used arch, with the repositories from blackarch and archstrike. This has all the tools.

However, the class officially advised us to use the liveCD provided by www.hacking-lab.com

they don't use kali in mr robot ...

I thought they used tails.

They used Kali on multiple occasions.

Certain hackers would use Kali for the same reason some companies would use Squarespace. If you can't be fucked to manage tools yourself, it's a decent thing. Everything's pre-installed and pre-configured, but if you want to actually set stuff up yourself (or just don't like Debian for whatever reason) then there's not necessarily any benefit to Kali over any other distro.

Yes and no. Depends on what you want to do.
Most tools in kali are nice for learning or demonstration purposes but if your "on le jób" teaching people. you'll more likely use a system that fits your requirements as pentestör. We used kali in a class about linux administration once but never again. I hated the desktop and how it felt. It's not that someone really needs all those tools to "shoot lè h4ck" from the hip. As other user said you can install everything on other distros too. Rapid7 or who the fuck is behind it uses it as marketing instrument. They sell a metasploit pro version for shekels and courses in "lé höcking" b2b. You can download it and test the tools (in your own network and with respect to the laws of your country). After you understand how an attack orsomething is done, check the tool's sources (they have repos for every tool on the kali website). Re-write them, modify them, learn the technical details about them and try to write your own from scratch. for ex. os detection. Only using the distro tools out of the box won't bring you forward but it can help getting started.

>If you don't have an Ida pro license you literally don't know how computers work and aren't talented
Fuck, that's well done LARPing, faggot.

> german gov uses firewalls that let the russians in

This thread is full of the most cringey shit I've seen on Sup Forums in a while. Please end, summer. I want to wear pants and long sleeves.

All you faggots arguing over the word "hacker" need to be gassed.

>/thread
Where are we living? in the 90's?
Hacker now days are those mac using faggots that fail at hacking Facebook accounts but upload a 240p video on Youtube under some retarded nickname anyway showing a short record of them browsing their own accounts to brag on how they succeed and that they are the cool kids.

OP you've been watching too much Mr. Robot

You do know that a hacker is somebody who enjoys finding creative ways to play with technology, right? That's the actual definition.

This really, also they are so slow on updates over there. So you are prolly far better off just manually installing metasploit too and update and fuckaround / write your own modules as you please

You should know to implement your own shit, it isn't hard to integrate really if you want it meta

You're digging yourself into a deeper and deeper hole

OP, hackers are people who make their own scripts and resources to exploit what ever they can.

Usually hackers use what ever distro of linux they want, windows is a okay choice if you're into that.

Mac?

No. Just.. no.

I'd say there's a good chance there's a hacker or two among the leeches I've seeded to.

No they don't
1: it's unstable and insecure for new users
2: no real black hat does stuff off home connection

kek a lot of these too.
Often they sit and threaten about hacking, and they go and ask others to do it
also this

No, it's used by script kiddies

Go Google "define: hacker"
Sorry, you're wrong
The only people who say duuhhh hackuh isn't crackuh duhhh are old it grandpas that haven't been relevant for decades

I love how no one ITT knows that kali is supposed to be a live system, like tails. If you need to gain access to a neighbors wifi it's useful, or if you want to test your own.

but im 22 and i say that

should I stop? my friends don't really get it even when I explain xD

How did you arrive at that conclusion?

I disagree. Of course the masses have always confused the two and will continue to do so in the future, but between more technically oriented people the distinction still exists.

Yeah, they do

the golden jet!! wha whaaatt !! 1

Real hacker can use any OS.

I bet you're one of those faggots who pronounces gif with a hard g.

This is a stupid question. It's Debian with tools.

>crackers
What kind of crackers are you talking about??

>"hackers"
get a job

Trying

Why should I use an OS the developers themselves don't use? Why should I use an OS developed by OSX and Apple users?

Yes

A shitload of tools all installed and somewhat preconfigured.

There is nothing really THAT special about it, you can do pretty much the same thing on any distro. Kali just makes it a lot easier.

>>xD
Please do everyone a favor and remove yourself from the gene pool

how do i become hacker

Daily reminder that RMS himself claims to be a hacker.

Old it grandpas that aren't relevant anymore
Surprising

It's debian testing with a buttload of pen-testing tools pre-installed. Also you can customize it and build your own kali iso. They may not use it as a daily driver, but many use it for red teaming and other pen-testing jobs all the time.

holy fuck this entire thread derailed so quickly

>RMS himself claims to be a hacker.
>claims to be a hacker.
>claims
Listen dipshit, not even Norton can protect you, look at him hack up this dancefloor you proprietary turkey
youtube.com/watch?v=7t96m2ynKw0

pic unrelated

Oh jesus christ.

Can someone please delete this thread already?

Now that's 1337

This

you mean crackers?

I'm a hacker and I use Windows 10

i'm a hacker and i use osx

>nobody mentioned pentoo yet

I use gentoo because I can compile all the same fucking crap anyway

So-called "pentesting distros" like BlackArch and Kali are for wannabes that think hacking isn't about creativity or skill, it's about who can find the most mistakes in other people's work.

Face it, Sup Forums, most of you are just lolicons with paranoia and you just want placebo security by autistically hunching over config files and facades.

Real hackers haven't time for fagotry. That's why they use openSUSE, real OS by real engineers.

Can confirm, OpenSUSE is a masterpiece of a distr-

*kernel panic*