/tpg/ - Thinkpad General

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

>New to /tpg/ or looking for purchasing advice? (hint: use the advice request template, it makes life easier)
pastebin.com/nBqTEbHn

>If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).

>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN HP Elitebook (2570p, 8770W, 2170p), Dell Latitude/Precision (E6430, E6440, E7440) and P, T, X, and W SERIES if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Recommended models and mod guide:
pastebin.com/jVSuE175

>Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

>xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

>EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

>Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

thinkwiki.org/wiki/Install_Classic_Keyboard_on_xx30_Series_ThinkPads
amazon.com/DLT-W40DUHT-Inch-3840x2160-Monitor/dp/B01HTDI818
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ThinkPad_Fan_Control
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

should I get t420 or t430 and replace the keyboard in it?

why would you replace the keyboard

new into thinkpads, should I consider buying a T470? Ive heard good things all around

the t420 keyboard mod

thinkwiki.org/wiki/Install_Classic_Keyboard_on_xx30_Series_ThinkPads

Is there anything suspicious I should look for in a second hand x230 other than the usual BIOS lock/supervisor password? Any reason I should also wait longer til I just bite the bullet on a £150 one for sale right now?

why not how

How extreme is X230's wifi card whitelisting?

Does it allow any Intel card or only the ones it shipped with?

For example will an Intel 3160 (wifi + BT) work? And would it use the Wifi antennas for bluetooth as well?

?

T430 has chiclet keys and no top row
T420 does not

>Don't use isopropyl you'll dissolve some of the plasticizer in the ABS of the caseing degrading it a bit.
What should I clean with?

I know it is rude to ask like this in thread made for thinkpads fanboys, but still
WHAT IS SO GREAT ABOUT THINKPADS?

I mainly see you are using outdated hardware. Why not just build desktop? Or if you need mobility, why not get something smaller and newer?

What is so magical about bulky outdated hardware? Pararel ports? That clit on keyboard? Heck its keyboard doesnt even have numpad.

wish I had a parallel port actually....

>why not get something smaller and newer?
Something smaller and newer isn't $150 and usually has worse build quality

The clit is nice too, but the above reason is the top one for me

I dont know about build quality, i dont throw them around and every ~2 years simply buy new one (or more like get new one from my company).

And if you cant spent more than 150$ on your hobby (or job related items), imho you are doing something wrong.

>and i bet you all would be ok with desktop + random chink phone with vpn and ssh combo

My x220 tablet came today

I'm sorry

t430 is fine despite the layout

Always used isopropyl alcohol, no problems.

I know it can damage some plastics, but that's after a long period of time.

You should be fine.

Hey, my Bluetooth light is always on. Is this normal? Is the only way to stop it is from disabling it in the BIOS?

It isn't so much that they are the top of the line - obviously not so anymore, it is 2017

but it is that you get a cheap sub-$200 laptop with good build quality, that has a 2nd gen i5 and 8gb of ram (assuming you are buying x220 or t420)

it does what it needs to, and still has more functionality than most new laptops today. serviceability is more important than you would think, it is the whole reason we are still able to even use them to begin with. don't you see how most people with consumer laptops are using something from within the last 2 years? they aren't built to last.

Uh, have you tried the manual switch?

from my experiences with W10 yes that's the only way, on W7 you just press fn+f5 (if you have the lenovo stuff installed) and turn off bluetooth and the indicator light also goes off

on w10 I had no trouble disabling bluetooth using fn+f5.
x230 btw

my t430s came with a closed plastic cover for the hard drive bay (no way to remove it) so i removed it and it broke

how to i replace this with a superior solution than a broken plastic cover

and why the fuck did it come like that?

Any pics?

For me, it's:

>build quality, newer stuff feels like it's going to break at any second.
>best keyboard on laptops, even chiclet is good compared to other keyboard laptops.
>trackpoint is GOAT
>Since businesses buy them in bulk, the market is usually full of business laptops in good condition
>can be repaired, plenty of information on how to do it and wide availability of parts.
>price, they tend to be cheap, I'd rather get an older business grade laptop than a cheap new shity consumer one.

What switch? The only I ever came across is the WAN switch
Guessing this doesn't work on Linux.

There's a manual switch that disables wifi and bluetooth.

On linux, I had to lurk the settings and disable it that way.

If you have the money, do it.

woops

honestly the hardware has become better and better - the only thing they ruined was the keyboard and function keys. while Sup Forums wouldn't like to admit it, even taking apart new thinkpads is easier due to how everything is exposed at once now, but i don't know whether that makes the structural integrity weaker or not

didn't directly answer your question though. as other user posted, answer is yes. if you have the money to burn.

personally i would just recommend dropping the $400 to $500 on a T450 with 1600x900 at this moment though rather than buying new directly.

as u can see the place where it should be a screw is plastic

Weird, never seen that.
I' sorry, just get a new cover.

where tho

whoa im a fucking brainlet it was a sticker

eBay, or look for local sellers selling parts.
Otherwise just glue it.

Kek.

Post pics

hahahah fucking shit

it looked so fucking seamless and it was so difficult to take off (hard sticker) that i assumed it was hard plastic

Just grab one, shake it, make sure nothing moves inside it.
Also if it has the ips display, beware of screen burn in.

Buying new thinkpads is not a good investment since they have the business tax, imo.
A second hand t450 would be a good option.

jesus christ user dont you know how to disassemble shit?
>if it wont budge check for circle imprints or rubber feet
>look up other people doing it to see if youre breaking it or not
its not hard my man

won't get the opportunity to grab it before I buy it (UK so only hope is eBay) but thanks for the IPS tip, I guess its fortunate that that is also a rarity here.

yes, i've never seen one like this before though
it looked like the plastic around it and also was seamless, it just looked like a part of the plastic :OOOO

get a new one off ebay

ok dear

Can anyone redpill me on the hp 2760p?

I'm looking for a tablet-laptop and really really prefer the aspect ratio on that one to the 16:9 on the thinkpads.

i want backlit keys

t420 keyboard doesnt have em

and fuck that thinklight

>and fuck that thinklight
Fuck you lad

no battery grip like the thinkpad tablets, also it doesn't seem to have an hdmi or displayport port which is weird

What's an ultraportable with a IPS display that doesn't suck

x250

Is it worth it to get a t43p in the current year?

What about the x300/x301?

Can anyone tell me if the x230 igpu can support this?

amazon.com/DLT-W40DUHT-Inch-3840x2160-Monitor/dp/B01HTDI818

Why the fuck are there 2 /tpg/ threads, can't you guys just have one fucking thread?

I want to use my X220 for university, my only problem right now is the fan it's loud and seems to go off constantly. Any solutions for linux?

>any solutions for linux
unironically, your problem.

You can try to set cpu to a max of 99% using tlp IIRC, that will prevent higher temperatures.

Also, you can try undervolting.

I have a Thinkpad R51
What can i do to have a better perfomance ?

get a newer machine.

Sorry but you can'd do much.

Does it accept a SSD?

Reposting from old thread.

A key broke, can I glue it back?

Could've sworn someone recommend some fan controlling software on linux a couple hundred threads back that worked well on this anons machine. Guess I better start lookin

Maybe. I've seen some sources say the HD4000 can do 4k at 30hz via DisplayPort.

And that monitor does not have a DisplayPort port, so you would have to use a DP -> HDMI cable and I'm not sure if that would play kindly.

I could buy a new one, but a love it.
>Does it accept a SSD?
Mmm yeaah.. but ide

There's stuff like speedfan on windows, I guess there's something for linux.

Try to remember the thread and search the archive.

Anyway, the key is to control temperature so your fan isn't too loud.

Reapply the thermal paste too.

You could try some second had cheap ssd, even tho sequential speeds will be gimped, ramdon should make it somewhat snappy.

There's Thinkpad Fan Control, but that's for Windows. You could try running it under wine, but I don't know if it would work. I wouldn't expect it to. Google around for thinkpad fan control, I think the thinkwiki has something on it.

Fuck, apparently after some research,, it is limited to 30hz, I don't plan on gayming so it shouldn't be an issu, but it'd be nice if it did 4k at 60hz.

I think it's this one

thinkfan.
what the fuck

I think is this one:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ThinkPad_Fan_Control

Purchase request template:
Budget: $100 CAD
Size: Doesn't matter
Performance: Needs to be able to browse internet well
Other requirements: Literally none

kek

Lmao

How much is that in normal money?

idk like 75 bucks i think

lurk kijiji and craigslist until a good deal pops up

if you're lucky you could find a T420 or X220 for that price

thanks senpai

X200 or t400 if you need one right now.

Otherwise do this.

cheap xx20 series

Budget: Doesn't matter
Size: Doesn't matter
Performance: Top of the line. I'm looking to get a thinkpad that either comes with or can have an i7 installed. Or something close to it or better. I'm looking for something strictly performance based. RAM doesn't matter as much to me, though DDR3 or DDR4 would be nice. 4-32 GB would be fine. Knowing a model number for the CPU if I have to replace it would be nice; like an i5-2520M for example.
Other requirements: Doesn't have the new shitty keyboard, unless it's one that can be replaced.

TL;DR: I just want to know what Lenovo laptops have the highest computing power. That's basically all I'm interested in.

The other thread was created like an hour after this one.

what about T42?

Something like the p series.

P71.

Too old for web browsing, sites nowadays are bloated as fuck.

Maybe for extremely basic web browsing but js heavy sites and video higher than 480p is a no go.
It's an old-ass machine.

k thanks

X60 t60p if really poor.

fuck no
I broke off the windows key unintentionally when I was disassembling it for cleaning (which is an improvement imo) and there isn't any good way to get it back. You can buy individual keys online for 5 dollars a piece or you can buy an entire new keyboard and either replace the whole thing and use the old one as spare keys or vice versa.

Would any of you happen to know which of the following has the highest clock rate? I'm not all that familiar with the AMD, Xeon, or Celeron CPUs. I know clock rate isn't the best way to measure performance, but I'm just looking for a rougher estimate right now.

Intel Celeron 3865U (2)
Intel Celeron N3160 (5)
Intel Celeron N3350 (1)
AMD A10 (1)
AMD A10-9620P Processor ( 2.50GHz 2MB ) (1)
AMD A4-7210 Processor ( 1.80GHz 1600MHz 2MB ) (1)
AMD A4-9120 Processor ( 2.20GHz 2MB ) (1)
AMD A6 (1)
AMD A6-9500B Processor (2MB Cache, 2.3GHz) (2)
AMD A8 (1)
Intel Celeron 3855U (1)
Intel Celeron N3060 (1)
Intel Celeron N3450 processor (2MB Cache, Up To 2.20GHz) (4)
Intel Core M3 (1)
Intel Core i3-6100U (2)
Intel Core i3-7100U (10)
Intel Core i5 (44)
Intel Core i7 (72)
Intel Pentium 44 (1)
Intel Xeon E3 (3)
MTK 8173C Processor ( 2.10GHz ) (1)

!!! IF YOU DONT REPLY TO THIS POST, YOUR THINKPAD WONT BOOT IN THE MORNING !!!

x201 900p or x220 IPS

Xeon and i7s should be the fastest but beware, there are i7s that are actually dual cores with hyper threading.
They end in U and use less power.

X220 ips.

X230

x230 with ips.

btw enjoy your burn in.

x220/x230 with 1080p ips mod

Also forgot to mention, avoid anything but core i5, i7 and xeons.

x230 with x220 keyboard mod and QHD/2k display mod.

x301

ur mom
saged