/tpg/ - Thinkpad General

Previous thread:

IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

>New to /tpg/ or looking for purchasing advice? (hint: use the advice request template, it makes life easier)
pastebin.com/nBqTEbHn (embed) (embed)

>If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).

>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN HP Elitebook (2570p, 8770W, 2170p), Dell Latitude/Precision (E6430, E6440, E7440) and P, T, X, and W SERIES if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Recommended models and mod guide:
pastebin.com/jVSuE175

>Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

>xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

>EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

>Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

notebookcheck.org/Sony-Vaio-VPCEB1M1E-BJ.29908.0.html
youtube.com/watch?v=PXSOdxLcRA0
ebay.com/itm/New-Original-HD-LCD-Cable-for-Lenovo-Thinkpad-T430-T430i-0C55517-/181979948233
thinkwiki.org/wiki/T420_and_T430_HD+_Screen_Upgrade
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA5HA5WP8244[/spoiler]
belkin.com/us/F5L159-Belkin/p/P-F5L159/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Best way to pimp a ThinkPad W530?

Have a another pic of the macbook in the OP

>max out ram to 32 gb
>get either backlit or classic keyboard
>get 1080p screen if you already havent for some odd reason
that should be it I guess

just ouch

Could you recomend me a thinkpad that will outperform this computer by a factor of 4

notebookcheck.org/Sony-Vaio-VPCEB1M1E-BJ.29908.0.html

It had some booboos

passmark score of the cpu is 1800 gpu is 540
If youve got no weight constraints Id say go for a W530
some of the higher end quad cores like i7 3820QM blow the first gen i3 out of the water
the gpu is better but 1.5 to 2 times better according to benches

if you do have weight constraints though
Id either suggest a T440p with a dgpu with a trackpad swap or any other T series p laptop with a dgpu

Haven't given the wiki more than a cursory glance, but it's going to be faster I think to run this by y'all before I dig in much more.

I'm looking for a laptop that doesn't have a trackpad - just a clitmouse - and hardly any space between the front of the system and the beginning of the keyboard. In the realm of ~2 inches at most. I haven't ever seen a clitmouse on anything but thinkpads, so I'm assuming I have to stick with that brand.

My question is - does this system exist? I've attached a very poorly done image as a reference. View is front-top looking down.

Budget: ~$500
Size: ~15"+
Performance: capable of multitasking office suite applications and heavy web applications, multi-monitor support a plus, no real gaming
Other requirements: win7 support

Thanks.

there are thinkpads with out trackpads but theyre small and kind of old
you have the x60 x61 x200 and x201(some x201 variants at least)
theyre all under 15"
and the x201 is probably mostly good enough I think

on a completely on related note why do you not want a touchpad? Even on the thinkpads that are designed without touchpads have that awkward space under the keyboard like pic related

hey, someone is offering me a ThinkPad E430 with a 3rd gen i7 for $220, it is a good deal? Are E series good enough?

>I haven't ever seen a clitmouse on anything but thinkpads, so I'm assuming I have to stick with that brand.

Dell Latitude.
HP Elitebook.

Anything modern will have a trackpad as well because normies gonna norm.
You can disable it but the space will obviously be there.

Don't know why you'd want the keyboard so close though.
It will also mean no palm rests and sitting further from the screen.

any tips on getting the new finger print scanners to work in linux? or just wait for the wizards to add it to the updates?

it's not as much about not wanting a touchpad (although it's annoying as fuck hitting the stupid thing with a thumb or whatever while typing and having it highlight something other than what you're typing) as it is not wanting 10 miles of plastic between the front of the system and the beginning of the keyboard

I don't want to rest my palms on the system, I want to type and be done with it

in that example image, on the left side, if the laptop case stopped right at the top of the intel sticker, that's the formfactor I want

if youre in the US that is a horrible deal
you could get a no hdd T430 next to nothing

sorry user
not only does the case not go that compact due to mostly screen size
best I can offer you is disabling the touchpad and not resting your hands on the thing I guess

>it's annoying as fuck hitting the stupid thing with a thumb or whatever while typing

I agree.
That's why I disabled mine.

>it is not wanting 10 miles of plastic between the front of the system and the beginning of the keyboard

The alternative would be "10 miles" between the the keyboard and the screen.
Or, when staying true to your drawing, some extremely wide aspect ratio because the keyboard is what? 27:9?

And I don't see what the issue is with resting your palms on the laptop?
You can actually type with more than two fingers.......right?

What's a fair price for a 1st generation X1 with i7 / 8gb / 170gb in decent condition?

Friendo wants to buy it but I have no clue what's equitable.

even in europe you should be able to get a T430 for around 200 with no effort

the vaio p series has the shape you want but are small and slow and no expansion options. who knows maybe something more recent and bigger exists

Arigato thinku-pado you served me well

fuck I still want one of these
check ebay then add or subtract how much you like your friend

What is the regular processor temperature of your thinkpad, user?
>arctic silver 5
>65c ~ 80c normal
>máx 93c

Get a "DONGLE LYFE" tattoo and have fun wondering why you ever sprung for the touch bar you so rarely use once something burns in

you might wanna keep it so you can go back to it after realizing your mistake

>x220 desu

what thinkpad though?
>some shit friend had lying around
>45-60 normal
>max 85 ish

aw yeah you know it

After a week of researching I couldn't find any competing product other than the OLED Yoga. But that shit cost $3000 (THREE THOUSAND UNITED STATES OF AMERICA DOLLARS) and it only has integrated graphics.

What to do with a w500 with 4gb ram and docking station?

>implying a mac cools itself enough to not get btfod by integrated graphics

Can't wait for the resident macfags to claim this doesnt matter, its an unfair comparison, ect

>implying they have the attention span to not just walk in post bait like "lmao ur shitbox has cum in it" and leave
user you expect too much

I've got a 2015 mbp that I only use for audio stuff.

For the form factor and power, mbps are hard to beat, especially if you want it from thinkpad.

I hate the milled aluminum, it's not comfy, operating in the mac world is gross.

I dropped from 90+ to 78C by replacing AS5 with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut.
It's pretty expensive, but since I bought a tube for some LN2 fun I though I might as well use some on my thinkpad.

That's most likely apple being conservative with the fan control. I have to use tpfancontrol on level #64 on my W520 to not have it throttle with the gpu disabled. I'll just do the same with the macbook.

oh, I have a T520 with dualcore i5 and stock single heatpipe cooler

i7-3940XM

Hi /tpg/, I'm curious about this
>Other business laptop
named Sony Vaio VGN-SZ1XP.

Does this thing have socketed or soldered CPU?
(I see that the T2400 can be either PBGA479 or PPGA478 variant, i.e. the soldered one like X60 have or the socketed one like on T60)
How easily can the HDD and CPU (given it's socketed) be accessed and replaced, is it much like on thinkpads/latitudes/elitebooks or is it a 100 screw fuckery like on macs?
How much linux-friendly it is?

Can't find shit of info anywhere.

>Vaio
just get a thinkpad

>just get a thinkpad

this. a million times this.

T430 (dGPU model)
>Arctic Silver 5
>65c-80c normal
>max 100c (throttling) when doing some gayming

if i want to upgrade my t430's screen to 1600x900 resolution, do i have to buy anything else besides the panel?

you need to change the cable too user

Thanks for your quality comments anons.

See I have some experience with thinkpads and I generally like them. But this seems like a nice small thing to carry around, a decent alternative to an X60, presumably with a brighter screen (some review says 336 cd/qm but I'm not sure whether they tested it or it's what Sony claims), god-tier 16:10 ratio, and I can get one for cheap, so why not. And if its CPU is replacable unlike on X60, that's super rad.

damn i knew it
how do i know wich one?

My T30 screen's backlight died.
Any suggestion to tackle this problem

the lack of trackpoint kind of kills it for me but
doing a quick google search found me this vid
youtube.com/watch?v=PXSOdxLcRA0
to point out two things interesting about this vid
>it takes only 4 screws to access whole heatsink assembly
>at 0:46 during the wide shot of the heatsink you can see the little tiny retaining screw for the cpu slot aka removable cpu

have fun with it user

also pro tip: searching x disassembly is a lot more reliable
literally took me under 20 seconds to find the answer to your question

if Im not mistaken you can get both the panel and lid assembled ready to be installed from ebay
Id go that route

if not it should just go under the name "hd+ screen ribbon or screen cable or something"

thanks for the info user, but the thing is im not from the us so i have to find it my way

maybe you could go for something like this ebay.com/itm/New-Original-HD-LCD-Cable-for-Lenovo-Thinkpad-T430-T430i-0C55517-/181979948233
some listings like this have international shipping (plus its from hong kong so..)

You can replace the CCFL, but it's not the easiest thing to do.

oh and read this
thinkwiki.org/wiki/T420_and_T430_HD+_Screen_Upgrade

Alright, thanks for the info. It's too bad because I could have used this laptop.
>Floppy drive in Ultrabay
>2GB ram
>1400x1050 screen
It was some pretty good stuff. Atleast I can use it via external monitor.

The X201 is definitely the machine you're looking for. You can drop in an X200 palmrest (that's the one without the touchpad) and basically you get a first gen i5 @ 2.66ghz, 8GB DDR3, Intel GMA HD and the SSD of your choice.

hey that looks pretty good actually, will take a look

thanks user

Did libreboot come out for the X220 yet?

user I already told you x201 here also the x201 is under 15"

ah my bad, missed the model number looking at the image

>libreboot

Let this thread die; there's another one over at

no we battle it out

This one was created like an hour after the other one, wtf.

Also the other has the classic op pic...

and this one is only few replies behind
also
>classic op pic
get that meme out of here

anything jump out as a giant red flag?

[spoiler]newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA5HA5WP8244[/spoiler]

expected the price to be around the 250 range to be honest, so I also snagged 8gb of ram and I'm about to pull the trigger unless you can convince me it's a terrible mistake for some reason

if I end up liking the formfactor/size, there's plenty of time to grab a usb3 expresscard and SSD for decent speeds, and if I end up hating it, I'm only out a hundredish bucks, that's livable

>spoiler tags don't work on Sup Forums
welp, that's good to know

in fact it just ruined the link
it doesnt say whether its the trackpoint only model or not so Id watch out for that too
also if youve gotten over the touchpad in general the X220/230 is a wider variant with a touchpad btw
you can also disable it from bios too

anyway if youre sticking with the X201 Id suggest you definitely upgrade to 8gb of ram and maybe consider a SSD

yeh it didn't specify whether it was a trackpad model or not; some of their pictures have it while others don't so I'm just rolling the dice and I'll swap it out with an x200 palmrest like mentioned if I have to

thanks for the help

that early gen atom was shit for any kind of meaningful workload.
it's very unlikely that sony will reincarnate the vaio p with modern guts, but one can only hope.

Is that image what I think it is?

t430 - dgpu
thermal grizzly
58c @ 3635rpm
82c @ 4850rpm
93c @ 6000rpm

if i wanted cooler temps during shitposting i could turn up the fan

mass effect 2 will get to 100c, but thats a 3630qm with no throttling, so 3.2ghz. But the dgpu will throttle to 650 core.

If i encode, or compress i do have clock down to 3.0ghz not to throttle

Is it that much better than say the i7-3720qm?

Thanks a lot user. I wouldn't have noticed the removable cpu watching this vid myself

Ha, I just accidentally found out about another ancient Vaio with trackpoint, *three* buttons and no palmrest, the X505

Should I get a 9-cell bat. for my t420 made in china? Will it blow up on me? Good reviews on ebay

Most Thinkpads have a disable key set as a FN+Function key. I know I have the button on my T430, but on my X120e I just disabled the input from the cursor settings.

i feel bad for yall n•ggas. three years later same old sh•t. still clingin to these legacy laptops. they're neat in theory but by g•d in practice they're trash & deep down everyone knows it. enjoy that impending march towards obsolescence cause its comin & its comin quicc. gna smacc ya upside the head pretty soon... the sheer uselessness of your yesteryear-machines, not me

Does anybody have a list of Microsoft Authorized refurbishers they buy their laptops from?

I don't wanna buy a cumstained laptop, at least want it wiped off by pajeet first

Bought pic related for a chinky x86 tablet. The keyboard is alright, but fake trackpoint is fake.

Part of me wants to just rip that thing out so I don't accidentally use it out of habit.

nigga
shit
god

there, was that so hard?

I wanna join a webring

You can replace the CCFL, I also have kits to upgrade the T30 to an LED backlight.

ok so the fagbook throttles as fuck. Is that accurate?

yes. And i7-3940xm is unlocked and overclockable.

Does it work with whatever tablet?
And that optical thing works like the one on some Blackberry phones that you have to swipe not push like the real trackpoint, right?

Will the 55W TDP become a problem if your workload is consistently heavy? On otherwise a maxed out W530.

Looking at one for ~$200 on the bay, about to pull the trigger.

Yes, it's a fairly standard Bluetooth keyboard/mouse combo with a tablet stand. Pairs under Win8, Linux, and Android.

The nub thing is just sad. It's not responsive enough so every time you register a swipe the cursor jumps across half of the screen. I just use an extra bluetooth mouse

too bad. I find those things on blackberries fairly usable. so not worth buying instead of a keyboard-only bt keayboard right

Eh, it's got proper full size keys unlike my other Belkin keyboard cover, and it's cheaper than Logitech ones I've been eyeing. So that's a plus I guess

Which Belkin? The Belkins for the non-mini iPads should be about the same size as this I guess, aren't they?

I probably overpaid but nvm
How do I mod it further? Already ordered a 4gb ram stick. Maybe a full hd screen? Dock? Any help appreciated.

This one
belkin.com/us/F5L159-Belkin/p/P-F5L159/
The keys are definitely smaller than normal