atomicdelights.com/blog/why-your-next-iphone-wont-be-ceramic
youtube.com/watch?v=sxbiIpXZfG8
google.ch/patents/US20140176282
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CNC_plunge_milling
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/End_mill
atomicdelights.com/?offset=1428565283700
camaster.com/how-to-tell-an-end-mill-from-a-drill-bit/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Do you think Steve Jobs would allow this monstrosity?

jobs would cut them off at 5 desu
the half glass half metal approach is unclean
and the current design reeks of compromised design
camera bumps, plastic antenna lines, jobs would've ripped off jony's head if he saw this

>CNC machined shell
Fucking hell that must cost a lot.
There's a reason CNC machining is hardly used in consumer products.

Looks exactly like my xiaomi redmi 4x
Other than that whats the problem here?

yea iphone have gotten pretty ugly.
Nothin sets them apart anymore. They look like every other HTC/Samsung phone.

Actually thats wrong Samsungs current flagships are a lot more distinctive in design.
iPhone SE is the only iphone that still looks like.. an iPhone

It's fine, they will just bump up the price to $1400 per iPhone.

>no headphone jack
it's a failure already

at least the camera bump is vertical which in the mind of applel users it means they will need to film landscape for the camera to be "straight"

Isn't it just normal rough CNC router finish for surfaces that are not crucial to anything?

>camera bumps, plastic antenna lines, jobs would've ripped off jony's head if he saw this

Yep, this is pretty clearly a cost cutting measure imho (comething cook loves)

And by that I mean they had a design pretty close to complete, realized 'oh shit we dont have enough space for this since it had to be revised" and rather then redesigning things they just go and add a bump.

I wonder how long until we see forged phones

>I wonder how long until we see forged phones
Never gonna happen. I imagine we'll probably see DMLS-synthesized shells fairly soon though.

Are you retarded or mentally challenged?

>the half glass half metal approach is unclean
They basically tried to copy the award winning and critically acclaimed design of the Sony Xperia1, Xperia2, and Xperia3.

what's the reason the shells have those lines?

Speed lines. Makes the phone go faster.

They're carved out using what are essentially drill bits, those lines are the spaces in between each pass. Usually they're cleaned up afterwards, but there's no point since its and internal face.

Heat dissipation

>not using the bigass Appel logo for the fingerprint scanner
>STILL no wireless charging

xperias never had metal backs, idiot

They've been cnc'ing macbooks since 2008 user

And it's still a huge waste of money

>he can't afford a macbook

I'm surprised they are milling and not just stamping. For such a shitty part stamp Al is easy

And yet they've made it work at scale for hundreds of millions of parts per year.

Poor tolerances.

I'm talking about the process itself.
Just because it works doesn't mean it's a good idea.

atomicdelights.com/blog/why-your-next-iphone-wont-be-ceramic

Interesting article on why Apple went down the Al CNC route. The future is probably using LiquidMetal + injection molding

They aren't milling the whole piece including bottom parts, button holes, etc
That would require fine milling and aot of work for such shitty part.
If they are taking solid aluminium slabs and milling all shape it's a very dump way of doing, but apple can throw money and charge even more.

That's not a rough finish user, it just looks that way due to them using a tiny fucking endmill and leaving a lot of multidirection tooling marks. You'll see that with literally any tool unless it's big enough to cut the entire face at once. That said, I'm really curious why it was roughed and finished with such a small tool. A larger one should be able to do the job much faster and just leave a few thousandths for the smaller endmill to clean up at a very rapid pace.

t. CNC machinist

But they are though.

>An iPhone however, starts as a block of aluminum and is faced, milled, drilled, tapped, and de-burred in a bevy of machining operations, getting passed (mostly by hand, but increasingly by robot arm) through a series of mills, each set-up with precision fixtures that hold one side of the phone to face the spindle. Just the interior cavity of an iPhone requires 3-4 minutes of takt time while micro end mills carve out the tiny details and features that the interior components will locate against and fasten to. Just that one operation requires 3000 CNC mills to meet the 1 million per day demand. Add more machines to do the other sides of the phone, plus the crazy high-tech multi-axis lathes that make the buttons, plus production for iPads,and iMacs, and MacBooks, and Watches, and many of the accessories.

>This high cycle time is why Apple is the world's largest owner of CNC milling machines and swiss style lathes. Rumors are that the number is around 40,000 with about half dedicated to iPhone production. I've seen pictures of one shop with acres of Fanuc Robodrills making iPhones, and that was only one of about a dozen such facilities. Apple is such a huge buyer of a particular kind of mill (BT30 spindle drill-tap centers) that Fanuc, Brother and DMG Mori each have factories dedicated to building machines exclusively for Apple.

Metal injection / mould is problematic due what kind of mold you can use.
For several metals you need ceramic and you can't blow like plastics.

> it's a very dump way of doing,

another genius is among us.

And to add, this has been happening since they made the unibody macbook.

youtube.com/watch?v=sxbiIpXZfG8

I thought the whole idea behind using that liquidmetal alloy was that it was easy to work with?

this obviously an amature knock up from the cad files that got released... any colledge student could do that...

>what is electromagnetic induction?
google.ch/patents/US20140176282

dipshits...

Ive got lazy after Jobs died and they gave him too much power in the company.

That is insane.
Damn it's possible, but it amaze me that they do this, it's clearly a case of over engineering turned into a luxury. Particularly I'm not found of aluminum and how it's prone to dent or bent.

Where is this from?
Then again, this is better than 3D face detection.
I really hoped they could get one under that glass, but that'll be the quirk in next year's iPhone.

It's insane, but in an awesome way.
It's sad that no other computer company cares enough about their products to have this level of attention.

Yeah, it's pretty fucking amazing that Apple is literally the world leader in high volume, high precision aluminium parts.

You have to remember that they are a design focused high margin company to begin with. Samsung stuck with plastic for so long until the market forced them to move to more """premium""" materials

I never thought i would say this, but i genuinely miss Steve Jobs now.

Iphone will never have wireless charging on flagships because they won't use plastic.

It's likely Steve signed off on the 5/5s design though

They made the unibody to reduce failure points?

But the most common failures are shit thermal paste and the AC adapter connector.

It's overkill and a reason to charge more. It doesn't make it "higher quality", just fancier.

>It doesn't make it "higher quality"
You've never worked with CNC mills before, have you?
This makes it really high quality. The shit I'd have to CNC was always fucking top notch.

>It's overkill and a reason to charge more. It doesn't make it "higher quality", just fancier.

child logic.

Fingerprint sensor on the back means that Apple joins HTC and Samsung at failing to embed the sensor into the display.

Maybe next year.

What would happen if Apple decided to cast these parts instead?

What if they decided to use cast iron instead?

>What would happen if Apple decided to cast these parts instead?
It would be exponentially cheaper with little to no difference in quality.

>What if they decided to use cast iron instead?
It would be really fucking heavy and would have to be touched up with a CNC machine because iron is a bit tough to be sandblasting.

>What if they decided to use cast iron instead?
It'd weigh a million pounds and rust in high humidity.

Injection molded steel would be the better option over casted or machined metal. Much stronger, better life span, lighter.

>essentially drill bits

no. just no. they are endmills

Yeah, and they're essentially drill bits.

They don't have the spade tip, and they're extremely hard, but other than that they're basically just drill bits.

>If Apple is doing something it MUST be bad.
Why are these so many of these faggots on Sup Forums?

>essentially drill bits
No.
A drill bit has a critical feature. It has to drill into something.

End mills can't drill into anything. Their bits are designed to tear away the top part of a material.

I guess pens are essentially just crayons? i guess dogs are essentially just monkeys? i guess cars are essentially just bicycles? I guess spaghetti is essentially just strawberries?

>end mills can't drill into anything
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CNC_plunge_milling

Wrong. It doing exactly what I said, tearing away the top layer of a piece of material.
Conversely, drill bits burrow INTO a material.

surely you realize youre retarded, right? I mean, you must be trolling at this point, right ya cunt?

Nice arguments.
No point arguing my fact with backed up source.

You're vomiting verbal diarrhea.
Take your autism elsewhere.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/End_mill
>[An end mill] is distinguished from the drill bit in its application, geometry, and manufacture.
>While a drill bit can only cut in the axial direction, a milling bit can generally cut in all directions, though some cannot cut axially.

>>While a drill bit can only cut in the axial direction, a milling bit can generally cut in all directions, though some cannot cut axially.
so it's a better drill bit

>inb4 "I was just pretending to be an idiot"

>End mills are used in milling applications such as profile milling, tracer milling, face milling, and plunging.

>Drill bits are cutting tools used to remove material to create holes

Milling != drilling holes.

see
just because theyre both metal and spin does not mean one is essentially just the other

7 speaker holes instead of 8 (for the iphone 8(hate) )

steve woud never allow this.

Apple's attention to detail is incredible.

This is how they made the Apple Watch
atomicdelights.com/?offset=1428565283700

>false equivalencies
>quoting yourself as source
Fuck off

>Actually retarded.
I'd tell you to fuck off, but you probably need a mental health counselor to help.

>projecting this hard

you are all a bunch of faggots. try doing something besides being shills

>can't properly argue
>resorts to petty insults and projection
Nope, it is you that's retarded.

>>can't properly argue
You mean like how you can't address that milling =/= holes?

>Milling != drilling holes.
but you can drill holes with an end mill

You can also build a bridge with enough cars.
Doesn't mean that it's designed to do that, numbnuts.

It doesn't have to be.

you mean you can mill holes with an end mill

Here's another source for your spazzing ass.

there is no difference between milling a hole and drilling a hole, both cut material away in chips.
you just quoted me twice

jesus fucking christ, here: camaster.com/how-to-tell-an-end-mill-from-a-drill-bit/

I'm not saying they're the exact same thing, I'm saying that because an end mill can do a drill bit's job and more, it is ---- in essence ---- a better drill bit. It works on the same principle, it looks basically identical, it's just made of HSS and has slightly different topology.

You can try, but you'll eventually ruin the tip.
Anyone who's worked in a machine shop knows end mills are for horizintal cutting, and drill are obviously for fucking drilling.

Also, you can't just slap an end mill into a drill and go to town. You need a massive machine to hold the bit steady as you cut sideways.

>I'm not saying they're the exact same thing
>Yeah, and they're essentially drill bits.
Stop splitting hairs, faggot.

>guy splitting hairs over something that is clearly similar being called similar says to stop splitting hairs
oh the irony

>similiar
>milling is equal to drilling
you've never got your hands dirty, have you buddy?

are you mentally deficient?

obviously not all milling is the exact same thing as drilling a hole, but, and pay attention here because this is where I lost you last time: milling a circular hole via plunge-cutting with an end mill is the exact same thing as drilling a hole with a drill bit.

>it is ---- in essence ---- a better drill bit.
absolutely not. if anything, you are the exact opposite of being correct.

>i have no argument so I'm just going to post reaction images
word

but it is though and you're wrong

>not only am I utterly ignorant of something I have no experience doing, I will also post an image of an anime girl

>anyone who disagrees with me on this minor facet of my hobby obviously has no experience with it

What about it? Is there a problem?

it's just a huge waste

>now I'm posting underaged anime girls
>implying anybody can afford a hobby CNC milling
yeah, my buddy down the street has three industrial german mills too.
we use them every once in a while, for shits and giggles.

youre wrong

are dremels also drill bits?
how about circular saws; are those drill bits?
is a grinding wheel a drill bit?
oh a bandsaw, thats definitely essentially just a drill bit

i do it as a hobby. i just rent machine time locally instead of buying my own $30,000 mill.

drill bits plunge axially

mills typically move perpendicularly

they are literally the exact opposite

>i do it as a hobby
yeah I'm sure you do.
Did you know my dad works at Nintendo?

Compared to what? They've been doing it since forever.

end mills can also plunge axially though, thus, they are better drill bits
what's so hard to believe about that? or are you some inner city mook who can barely afford his rent?

it would be exponentially cheaper to cast and clean.

>what's so hard to believe about that? or are you some inner city mook who can barely afford his rent?
And did you know that I have an uncle who's a top level manager at EA?