/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice:
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in >Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread -

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.co.uk/Beyerdynamic-Custom-One-Plus-Headphone/dp/B00PK2LJ4E
linustechtips.com/main/topic/296402-a-look-at-the-audio-technica-ad1000x-and-ad2000x/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

AD1000X or AD2000X owners speak up.

What is the second best headphone behind the HD600?

SHOULD I DO THE MASSDROP SENHEISER 6XX?

Naw, just get an HD600, which is better.

HD600 is £370 and the massdrop 650 is £170ish. I think for a £200 difference I can handle a little more warmth lol

Dt880s which are actually better in a lot of respects.

The hd600s are a meme that only populates garbage threads like this.

tfw when i feel for the meme. The mids make too much sibilance in vocals. Sound stage is pretty shitty too. I guess it would blow my mind if I'd only heard shit before. LSR305 blow them away but I need a new desk since my is too short for proper placement.

im makeing a better headpon lol

in fact it souns better alredy

Why do you people even post here? /hpg/ is just as bad as head-fi, just inversely. These people think a $20 amplifier, a $200 amplifier, a $1000 amplifier and a $5000 amplifier all sound the same.

For every audiophile who buys $300 cables for their headphones on head-fi, Sup Forums has a poor pseudo-scientist who thinks he has some sort of enlightened understanding about objectivism.

Buy good gear. Listen to them. Learn for yourself what sounds different and what doesn't.

sIGhtED lIstENing TEsTs ARe WorTHlEsS, jusT bUy the Hd600

Well I like the science of it.

>hey guys this headphone/amp sounds better/different
>no it doesn't, try blind testing them
>i did, i can tell them apart
>no you can't lol
honestly /hpg/ is one of the most useless generals on the entire site, should be removed from Sup Forums imo

About to pull trigger on Sennheiser HD 800s. Convince me not to.

You know what emits a more planar wavefront than a typical dome driver?

A planar driver.

It has the occasional interesting debate, but shitposting often drives away anyone actually interested in a good talk, and there's being lots of shitposting lately.

Don't do it, user! It's to fucking comfortable! Your ears don't deserve to have their existence forgotten by you!

if you want a treble centric headphone with large soundstage and fast transients it's one of the best you can get next to the t1 for under $1000

but if you're gonna get something that expensive you might as well get the hd800s, or just buy a used hd800

Nigga have you looked at the radiation patterns of planars? Just the obstructive magnet array should tell you enough. I'm designing a transducer that's better than both.

Get headphones with non-dynamic drivers for that price.

I couldn't agree more. Between the awkward weebs posting their waifus wearing headphones, to the viciously cyclical hd600 is endgame and any amp/dac over $100 is snake oil echo chamber this thread is absolute cancer and I swear it's the same 3 people who just jerk off and post in these threads 24/7. It's the same group of objectivist pseudoscientists who claim everything that doesn't fit there best headphone setup narrative is placebo or snake oil.

I totally understand the sentiment to undermine snake-oil in the audio hobby, but if you honestly think that all dacs/amps sound the same and that the hd600s are the only headphone worth the price you're honestly fucking deaf or don't listen to music in the first place.

Here we have one of thousands of victims of Beyerdynamic treble.

Do you work for ORA sound? I keep getting harassing emails and phone calls from them trying to sell me their not really original new headphones.

>there's some autist out there who spends his free time making anti-DT 880 images to post on a chinese cartoon imageboard so that he can validate his opinions about headphones

And here we have shill.

Then stop browsing these threads, that's what I did. I browsed /hpg/ for about 4 months and I learned maybe 2 things of value.

Working ears and good judgment is all you need to differentiate between audible differences and snake oil.

I did for almost a year, but recently visiting Sup Forums I decided to take a peek if anything had changed and honestly it's almost exactly the fucking same. It's absolutely sad.

I just wanted to discuss good sounding headphones with cute anime fans in these threads but the shitposting makes it too hard :

Yes.

Just kidding, no. My transducer design is much better.

Being here since before the first /hpg/, it has always being like this, what usually happens is that the shitposting has peaks and valleys, it starts subtle, people buy it and argue over it, it then turns to a full brand war, it reaches a peak when the shitposting couldn't be more appearent, with people literally shiposting about shitposting, then it gets old, shitposters get tired and we have another short valley of good talks in which the threads last much longer.

Why aren't you listening to speakers right now?

Fostex T50RP MK3 (swapped pads) or Monoprice M560 (sans covers)?

I am user.

>Monoprice
Will break quickly.

Were you referring to the HD600s? Did you misread my post?

Such as? Comparables at the price range? Thanks in advance

Not him. HD800s is a model. It is different from HD800. He did not mean the plural of HD800.

Should I get a headphone amp/DAC in addition to an audio interface? Are there any audio interfaces with approved headphone amps? I'm currently using a Focusrite Scarlett but want to upgrade to a MOTU piece. Also want to get a great headphone rig going, but want to know if an audio interface headphone amp can match the quality of, say, a Schiit brand headphone amp/DAC.

Forgot pic

Audio interfaces already are DACs, user, adding more DACs to the line will do you no good.

Of course. But I guess I'm asking if "prosumer"/pro audio interfaces tend to have headphone amps and DAC on the same level as the standalones that people ITT would buy.

>Budget
£150
>Location
UK
>Source
Mostly Pc, but most likely Vita/Switch too
>Type of headphone
Full sized
>Open or closed
Closed, I don't like people listening to my shit
>Comfort level
Irrelevant
>Sound signature
I usually listen to pretty much any kind of music, so I don't know. Plus, I'm mostly gonna use them for work, writing subtitles, so I'd like something that makes voices clear

I travel a lot by train, so if they came with a carrying case it'd be great

amazon.co.uk/Beyerdynamic-Custom-One-Plus-Headphone/dp/B00PK2LJ4E

Are they actually good? They looks like meme tier

i own a pair of HD600s and JVC MAHR77X . the JVCs sound better 99%+ of the time

>Shit selling a "USB interface" for $179
Are these guys fucking nuts?

Basically DT 770 with removable cable and enough sensitivity/low impendence so they can be driven from portable sources.

Not really.

Idol trash here.
What's your setup like, user?

They're a lot better than DT770 because they lack ear-raping treble.

>tfw dont have golden ears and cheap anything sounds good

>ear-raping treble.
And that's how you know the difference between people expressing negative opinions and shitposters trying to bait.

Looking at a pair of V-Moda Crossfade M-100's to get with my confirmed bonus next week. Already own a pair of Crossfade LP2's and love them so decided to get the next model. I was thinking I would probably also take a look at something else and don't know where to go.

>Budget
$500
>Location
North America/West Coast
>Source
various sources like PC, Android, PS Vita, Turtle Beach headphone amp
>Type of headphone
Full-Sized
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
negligible if the pads can be replaced
>Sound signature
bassy? I'm used to V-Moda Crossfade headphones since LP1
>Past headphones
Razer Carcharias
Plantronics GameCom 788
V-Moda Crossfade LP
V-Moda Crossfade LP2

I need new earbuds/IEMs for travel.

>Budget up to $200.
>Live in US
>Source will be a Google Pixel 3.5mm Jack mostly, rarely FiiO E10K
>Comfort is priority
>Sound signature maybe similar to that of K7XX, my current headphones

I really like how comfortable the Samsung Earbuds that come with the Galaxy S6/S7 fit in my ears.

Same with Sony MDR-ED12LP (Both pic related)
I don't know how to describe these but I'm looking for a new pair of IEMs/Earbuds

If you like bassy you could take a look at .
At that price range though i'm not sure why you wouldn't go for something better + amp, big three, maybe HD650 since you like stuff with more bass.

Woops forgot image

It's true, though.

Not really, they are more for I/O instead of audio quality. It works but having a dedicated system for your headphones is a lot better.

Have the ad1000x. I like 'em. Pretty good for weeb music. But I wonder if I should've I gone for gold and sprung for the ad2000x.

>own an LCD-2 and an HD800
>90% of what I listen to is weeb shit
>when I have kids they'll look at my expensive headphones think I know a lot about music

>Budget
$150
>Location
Canada
>Source
PC
>Type of headphone
Closed, over the ear.
>Comfort level
Maximum
>Past headphones
Turtle beach x11/x12

Looking for a new set since my x12 died on me . Looking for a decent headset that goes over the ear with mesh and foam padding like the turtle beach does(for both the ear and the top of the head). I don't know jack shit about headphones so maybe I should just go for another x12 but what do you guys think?

i made this crap review before being shown this board had a general for headphones

>shitty retard gaming headset
Any good open headphones with a large, angled driver and free Razer Surround software will provide similar positioning performance with far superior overall tonality.

Whats the next step above MSR7s?

stop using pretentious words and tell me what to try. Do any of the headphones i mentioned in that review meet anything you said "open headphones with a large, angled driver"

>mfw a friend of mine spends several hundreds of dollars on headphones just because Sup Forums says they are cool and he can't even tell the difference between each headphones he has bought
>mfw he's a neet and his mother pays for them

>pretentious words
>GOOD open headphones with a large, angled driver
AD700x are open headphones with a large, angled driver, but they're not good since they have no bass.
>tell me what to try
Philips SHP9500 + V-Moda BoomPro is the go-to headset right now. It should work well with Razer Surround.

The 2000 pretty much just has a stronger type of magnet I believe. Also I recall one online reviewer saying he didn't notice a difference between the 1000 and 2000. I paid $220 for my 1000 new, I would have had to pay more than double that for the 2000.

i noticed the AD700x have no bass. They also barely want to stay on your head. I only had to test them out for 5 mins before i hated them. The revolvers are VERY open sounding and they DO give me the best positional sound of the 6 headphones i have used. the DT 770 pro are also pretty good but the sound difference to me in game was so minimal im going to return them as they are 60$ more and the hyperx cans are very comfortable to wear as well.

I should clarify I was referring to the 1000X and 2000X. I think it's worth mentioning people consider the older 2000 superior to the 2000X.
>no bass
Just put duct tape over the pads.

i will pick up the 9500s though and try them for myself. thanks for the advice. do not need the mic though.

>Just put duct tape over the pads.

Satania a cute. A cute!!

Below were some recommendations I got before and I'm still torn. I already have open headphones, but I need a decent closed headphone for when I need noise isolation.
>E-MU Teak
>TH-X00
>Oppo PM3
i was about to drop money for the Oppo PM3 until I learned they're more like on-ears rather than full-size headphones.

Are there any other recommendations around this price range? Maybe I should spend more or look at cheaper options?

why are sennheiser pads so damn expensive, replacement hd650 pads are like $50

also, are the k712's worth it for serious gaming? I've been hearing excellent things about their soundstage but I already own some fidelio x2's

linustechtips.com/main/topic/296402-a-look-at-the-audio-technica-ad1000x-and-ad2000x/

Are there any headphones with similar designs as these Bose headphones but with better sound?
I tried these out and they're comfortable as fuck.
Most iems hurt my ear after wearing them for a while but these felt great.

Good to know. I think I heard people say anywhere between a 1% - 15% potential improvement, but didn't think that made sense at double the cost.

The world's universal solution to everything is no laughing matter.

Alternatively, leather pads could be a thing if you're okay with the cost and other sounds changes.

why not the K7XX if you're just looking for the exaggerated soundstage specifically? Seems like a better value compared to the pricey K712. Someone here will probably tell you to get the K612 for its neutral sound signature instead but that has a subpar earpad and headband in comparison along with attached cables.

If you didn't already own the Fidelio X2's I would say the K7XX line up is very much worth it for gaming.

AKG K7XX line up will have slightly better soundstage.
However the X2 is already a great gaming headphone. So it really isn't worth it for the side grade.

>Budget
$300
>Location
US
>Source
SMSL M3
>Type of headphone
Open
>Comfort level
Comfier the better, but I can deal with a pad change
>Sound signature
Warm; bassy?
>Past headphones
m40x, dt770, fidelio x2

Basically looking for an x2 alternative. Loved the soundstage and bass, but everything else just seemed off or grainy.

HD650

What's a good OTL amp for my new 300 Ohm Sennheisers?

if you want warm, bassy and smooth the hd650 is literally perfect for you

hurry up and buy the hd6xx while you can, it's a $500 retail headphone for $200

Or HD6XX if you're willing to wait for it to ship for a cheaper price.

HD 650 or K7XX/K712

Get a Schiit Stack, it's more than enough power to drive them

could i make money buying HD6XX / TH-X00 and reselling them after the drop ends (unopened)?

I don't want a Schiit Stack, I want an OTL amp.

I doubt you'd make money reselling the 6xx because there's so many now, massdrop literally reopened the drop like 3 times but maybe?

Pretty sure schiit sells an OTL tube amp.

I've been hearing good things about the Darkvoice or if you have the dosh a bottlehead crack

If you modded the TH-X00 to have a detachable cable and kept the 6XX BNIB, I could see the potential to resell for what you paid for or just under that +-$50 to $100

Yeah, maybe for a profit of $30 or so. But just why?

A schiit stack will give you plenty of clean power. But if you want even more fidelity buy a matrix hpa-2/3 or a bottlehead crack if you're willing to shell out a lot of cash.

>I specifically want an OTL amp
I'm of the opinion that amps do make a fairly significant difference in sound quality. But buying tubes just for the sake of buying tubes is a horribly misguided approach. There are solid states that sound warm and OTLs that sound cold.

But if you're dead set on getting an OTL just get a Crack. Personally I wouldn't spend that much until I had at least an HD800 or a T1.

>Schiit Eitr
>shit eater

Does anyone make headphones with 60mm drivers? Maybe 70mm?
I'd love to get my hands on 100mm drivers but I don't think anyone makes those yet.

It's funny because that's why you are when you buy into their memes

why not 579