/pcbg/ - PC Building General

If you want help:
>Assemble your parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>State the budget for your build (and country if not the USA)
>List games/software you use often, as well as your monitor resolution + refresh rate
>Clarify your goal for build improvements: lower price or improved specs?
How to assemble a PC, select components & more (kind of outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Build_a_PC

CPUs:
No i5 unless discounted
>G4560/G4600 - Budget builds (R5 1400 - Cheapest quad core you can get (Ryzen 3 soon)
>R5 1500x - Good but up to 1600 if you can
>R5 1600 - Best value for higher fps gaming / mixed usage; 1600x if you want higher stock clocks
>i7 7700k - Only for 144hz
>R7/Used Xeon/Threadripper - Compute/Multitask/VM/mixed use; Not for just gaming

GPUs:
Coin miners have driven price up and stock down, waiting to buy a GPU might be wiser
>Integrated CPU Graphics - Desktop stuff and very light games
>GTX 1050(Ti) - Lower end budget cards, drop settings on newer games, RX560 beaten by both
>RX570 - 1080p@60~hz maxed, running most maxed older games at 100~Hz
>RX580 and GTX1060 6GB - 1080p@80hz maxed, 1440p@60hz at lower settings; RX580 better in newer games
>GTX 1070 - 1080p@130hz /1440p@60hz at high
>GTX 1080 - 1080p@144hz / 1440p@60hz maxed, 4k@60hz in a few games; Probably the highest end card you need for 1080p/1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 1440p@144hz and 4k@60hz maxed/high in many games

RAM:
>Check your Mobo QVL before buying any RAM
>Ryzen CPUs benefits a lot from high speed RAM

General:
ALWAYS LOOK AT PRODUCT REVIEWS!
Always consider an SSD. Try buying a large SSD for what you'd pay for your SSD+HDD combined, and add a HDD later
NVMe SSDs aren't for a faster OS boot, they're for productivity/scratch disk/VMs. NVMe and M.2 are not the same thing, M.2 is a form factor.
The Ryzen lineup comes with surprisingly good stock coolers. consider using them over any

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814126116
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814126201
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/dj74f8
pcpartpicker.com/list/nWxg7h
bestbuy.com/site/asus-g11cd-desktop-intel-core-i5-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-512gb-solid-state-drive-1tb-hard-drive-silver-red/5614800.p?skuId=5614800
pcpartpicker.com/list/KC3w2R
pcpartpicker.com/list/BwTMtJ
pcpartpicker.com/product/DM7CmG/western-digital-black-pcie-256gb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-wds256g1x0c
amazon.com/CYBERPOWERPC-Master-GMA2200A-Desktop-7200RPM/dp/B06ZYX8DQ3/ref=sr_1_24?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1500601107&sr=1-24&keywords=gaming computers
nextwarehouse.com/item/?2429376_g10e
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Is mixing monitors with different refresh rates painful on the eye?

the 27" ones would be 144Hz and the 21.5 ones would be 60Hz

Repoastan form last bredd b4 it 404'd

Im looking at 2 Asus Strix jeetee-ex 1080's.
one says
>8gb $579
the other
>8gb-11gbps $629
is there a difference in performance here? why is one higher priced than the other and of what significance is the 11 gbps?

gib links

You need the USB3.0 driver install version. Google for the steps needed.

>check /pcbg/ daily
>seethis: Coin miners have driven price up and stock down, waiting to buy a GPU might be wiser
FUCKING CHADCOINERS GAMING IS MY ONLY REFUGE FUCKING STOP HOLY SHIT VITALIK JUST MOVE YOUR FRAUDCOIN TO PROOF OF STAKE AND LET ME HAVE MY FUCKING GPU

8g edition

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814126116

8g-11g edition

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814126201

After talking with a friend this is the build I have now
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/dj74f8
Intent to run games at high, preferably Nier and PubG.

Worries are, will the GPU fit? I had to break part of my last case so the GPU would fit.
Will the Heatsink fit?
Suggest a better case with a budget of £160, if its glowy I'd rather it be blue.
Will Win7 run on an i7 or do I need Win10?

>Is mixing monitors with different refresh rates painful on the eye?
The card should default to the lowest refresh rate of the monitors you plug in

the 11gbps version has higher clocks

Have patience, the Profit per day is already down to 1.60. just a little more, and miners will start dumping their stock.

what if I plug in the two 144Hz on the main gpu and get a really weak gpu for the other two (also not running them in crossfire/sli of course)

Just buy a 1080

The GPUS.

They belong to us now

will that extra mhz make a difference? how much will 11 gbps also help? built a new pc and looking for a graphics card but want to know if the extra hunnerd is worth the moneys

Quit parroting this meme, they don't care about profit per day and are mining for future stake.

There is no mythical GPU selloff

The only way this can be fixed is a massive influx of stock.

Those selling off are doing it in lots or trying to RMA cards for new or refreshed ones to sell above MSRP.

>$600
I'm a poorfag. That costs more than my entire computer.

I didn't know this was a thing.
Can it be overwritten?
I can't operate without two screens, I was intending to get a new 144hz but my current ones are 60hz

the differences are really small between the cards, I suggest you get the cheaper one unless you need to scrape every last drop of performance

Retard huge ATX cases have basically zero size restrictions. You might need to unscrew a drive cage at worse.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I dont have that kind of money to throw around to experiment. I struggle to see why not, the only reason I would think you may have a problem is the software thats managing it might throw a fit

>mfw downloaded the demented wojak thread on /biz/ but it only saved the thumbnails

>future stake

Now who is memeing, most of these people who are buying up GPU stock are probably using nicehash

>I didn't know this was a thing.
>Can it be overwritten?
I have no idea. All i know is that when I plugged in my 144hz DVI monitor, it defaulted to 60hz

Hopefully mining-repurposed GPUs with no video output will put an end to these prices.

They will work.
I have 240Hz monitor and a 60Hz monitor and they work at their native refresh rates. Just make sure you select the higher refresh rate for the main monitor manually.

Thoughts on this?

ok thanks for the info, i would rather get the lower priced one if $100 extra wont make a significant difference

wew I didn't know this.

what gpu do you have user? I'm reading on the web that some people have problems on nvidia gpus while doing this

R9 Nano

well, I think I'll use a secondary gpu anyway as I want a free hdmi output on the main one to mess around with VR

What's the best gtx 1070 brand? Thinking of getting either EVGA or MSI for prices. You have a higher chance of replying if I post with an image

Founder's Edition

Isn't the ANUS strix ones one of the best overall gpus?

ASUS
and yes

HiI'm not building a computer just buying one because I'm a noob. My computer is very old and shutting down very quickly. so I'm under short notice. I was wondering if any of you guys knew of any places to buy a good computer. I have about 1k to spend, and the sooner I can get it delivered the better. Also, is 16gb ram important for gaming or is 8gb ram just fine?

I have a i7-7700 that goes up to 80 degrees on load with a Hyper 212 evo. I can't overclock it and getting a new cooler to lower temperatures gives me no benefits since the fan on max RPM is still silent to me. I am just wondering is 80 degrees safe operating temperatures? I know intel states anything below 100 is okay but is running my CPU at 80 for long duration of time (4-5 hours) okay?

1080 and 1080 Ti prices are starting to rise too.

Amazon delivers the fastest if you have prime but they are slightly more important. 16gb is key nowadays.

r8.

Trying to get the most power in the smallest package; mostly used for gaming.

pcpartpicker.com/list/nWxg7h

Is it safe to use a 20-pin PSU with a 24-pin motherboard?

>kaby lake for 144hz
Is this only for 1080? I mostly play at 1440p nowadays and I'm planning on getting a 27" 1440p144hzmonitor sometime this Fall, after build a new PC. Since higher resolutions stress the GPU more than could should be fine with a R7 1700 right? Gaymen isn't my primary objective, I want moar corez for rendering

get the cheapest 16gb kit and a seasonic focus+ psu

corsair psus are overpriced

CPUs not good enough for gaymen

we need to Wait™

Brother had to get a cheap new computer, his old motherboard died. He had an Athlon II X3 460 and 4GB DDR2 ram with a Radeon HD 4450 (maybe? it was the 4000 series.)

He bought a FX-8350, a Gigabyte board (GA-78LMT-USB3) and a Kingston A400 SSD ($238.83). He has our others brother's old Kingston 8GB Blu DDR3 ram, my old Radeon HD 6670 and 550w Raidmax PSU.

So, now he wants to upgrade the GPU, and I also want him to get a non-stock heatsink. He wants to spend

I have an rx 480 and can confirm that mixed refresh rates work, with the caveat that when the slower monitor becomes the focal point it will cause the faster monitor to de-sync. I've only noticed it during media viewing using SVP for 120fps video, and blur busters UFO test. The UFO test is actually where I figured out about it initially.

bestbuy.com/site/asus-g11cd-desktop-intel-core-i5-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-512gb-solid-state-drive-1tb-hard-drive-silver-red/5614800.p?skuId=5614800

If logged into BestBuy account, the sale price is $830. Very reasonable deal.

you can get a whole used pc for $141.98 with rx 560

how accurate is the wattage calculator on pcpp and how much will it go up with overclocking?

Reasonably accurate. You should always have some amount of margin in the PSU anyway.
It depends on the part OC'ed.

pcpartpicker.com/list/KC3w2R

Is the 1080 worth it? I just want to be sure that the monitor will run at 144hz. Also is the i7 worth getting? I hear the hyper threading is overrated. Trying to stay under $1600 but willing to go over $1500

So I just upgraded from 2500k to Ryzen 1700. I promise this isn't a shill post, but just adding my personal 2 cents and asking a small question.

My fps remains completely unchanged in games, as expected. Performance is almost identical, on paper at least. The difference is that everything just "feels" smoother.

This isn't wishful thinking, either. In Witcher 3 for example, in the middle of Beauclair at 1440p mostly ultra settings with gtx 970, I got 49-58 fps before and get basically the exact same fps now. However, I now get zero stuttering whatsoever. The 45 fps feels like 60 used to, and 60 feels smoother than ever.

Is this because of more cores and hyperthreading?

The cheapest 16gb kits have large heatsinks tacked ontop of them (Ripjaw series stuff).

The corsair sticks I selected are the only low-profile sticks I see for that price range. I need them to be low profile because I intended to mount the CPU radiator to the top of the case and need the clearance. Front radiator mounting is not possible because of the the ~300mm card.

Good call on the PSU, although I had bad experiences with Seasonic. EVGA has a PSU that is cheaper than the corsair, however. So I selected that.

pcpartpicker.com/list/BwTMtJ

Yes.
No but if all you do is gaming, then probably.

Are you sure the FX chip will properly work in that motherboard? IIRC, it required a 990 FX chipset.

Ryzen is known for having higher minimum frames. This is shown in many benchmarks which is why it is "smoother". Frame pacing is better.

Not the founders edition... bad cooling system... better any with ACX cooling system...

Yes, I checked the CPU compatibility list before purchase. I already built the computer and everything works fine, except the 6670 which has a bad fan that makes a lot of noise.

...I should check for a BIOS update next time I'm over, though.

Likely better frame times are less minimum frames/higher minimum frames. Do you feel the upgrade was worth it? It sounds worth it, as your gaming experience sounds better.

Would recommend either i7 or the R5 1600 over the i5.
At today's prices, the 1080 seems reasonable. It's not like you have other choices.

Anyone?

>nicehash

Fuck off and do your own research instead of spouting off nonsense

You can get a WD Black SSD for the same price as an 850 EVO. No point in going SATA if NVME is the same price.

pcpartpicker.com/product/DM7CmG/western-digital-black-pcie-256gb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-wds256g1x0c

yep it's fine, just don't go over +85 for long periods.
you can also undervolt which helps reducing temps

Can you undervolt on a locked processor?
I have no idea. Anyway thanks. I was about to order a Noctua but I guess a 212 will suffice till my PC starts melting I guess.

ah. an RX560 will be fine then. It's an entry level Graphics card.

yes you can if your motherboard allows you changing the voltages

Probably due to having higher frequency ram. I'm still on the z97 platform but upgrading my ram from 8gb 1600 to 16gb 2133 makes my frametimes fluctuate way less even at fps lower than 60. I didn't change anything else and I actuslly rescued my cpu OC by 100mhz but it still felt smoother so it's the ram which made the different imo.

>rescued

Meant to say reduced.

Only certain chipsets right? I have a H270 board.

FOOL

What's a good GPU in the $450-500 range?

Yeah, it'll be a pretty good upgrade from the 6670 as well. Also no more horrible fan noise. I'm wondering about the cooler for the most part, but it seems really nice.

My brother doesn't play many games, mostly RS3 and a few others, if the 6670 can manage 50-60 FPS, I'm sure the RX 560 will pull more. He'll be more than happy. He already enjoys the CPU/SSD upgrade. His old HDD was so slow, iirc the boot times were 2 minutes with his old CPU.

DON'T GET THE RYZEN 1600X
-50$ difference between it and the 1600 that performs almost the same
-50$ for a cooler
YOU CAN GET THE 1700 WITH THE PRICE DIFFERENCE THAT COMES WITH A COOLER

Not sure about non-Z chipset, but search around BIOS for vcore ou cpu voltage, might be able to change it

Nobody ever recommends it.

GTX 1070 or 1080 if you can find one at that price

It is on auto. I guess I will just leave it on auto for now. It is not like I am constantly running video encoding and shit on my PC. I just play games. Thanks familia.

>corsair overpriced

Lol enjoy your coil wine

Did I do well? Fuck.

amazon.com/CYBERPOWERPC-Master-GMA2200A-Desktop-7200RPM/dp/B06ZYX8DQ3/ref=sr_1_24?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1500601107&sr=1-24&keywords=gaming computers

I just bought this, was it worth it?

Check and see if any EVGA G2 or G3 or SeaSonic S12G, G or M12II series powersupplies are cheaper than the RMx.

If not, stick to the RMx.

That's the price I paid for my Zotac AMP! 1080 like 9 months ago. Why the hell is it that price still? Are miners affecting the 1080 prices as well?

Apparently the shroud for the Gigabyte windforce is flimsy as fuck. Shouldn't matter overall.

not an awful price, but i would have waited to see how vega compares.

Aside from the atrocious design, it's not too bad I guess. Could've been like $200 cheaper if you built it yourself.

But anyway, the first thing you should do is invest in an SSD, and replace those peripherals ASAP.

Never get Founders Edition cards if you can help it. They have bad temps, are loud, and don't OC well. You're better off getting a name brand 1070. For example: nextwarehouse.com/item/?2429376_g10e

Though you're better off doing your own research.

>$500
lol

what is a ssd and what are peripherals?
I thought the casing was pretty decent.

>Are miners affecting the 1080 prices as well?
Not directly, but it's causing impatient people like me to buy 1080s instead (which is incredibly overkill for the shit I'll be doing)
Shroud? What piece are you referring to?

Shroud is the thing that encases the fans on top of the heat sink

Suppose I should mention there are good1070s sitting around $400 as well.

SSD
Solid state drive. Just get one, seriously. It makes boot-up times much faster, and the difference is like night and day.

Peripherals are things like your mouse and keyboard. I'm almost 10000% certain that the ones iBuyPower gives you is complete garbage, so just invest in other quality peripherals.
>casing was pretty decent
Not a fan, personally. Reeks of gaming aesthetic.

AMDs marketing suggests its pulling at about a 1080 or above but like way less efficient.

They are demoing closed systems and marketing them as "one of these has Vega+freesync, the other a 1080 and gsync", and the vega system is 300$ less.

Being that they are doing a cost per package thing Vega will likely be 50$ cheaper.

I fell for the SSD meme, Sup Forums ... should I go back to HDD? I heard SSD will just stop working after some time.

no one ever comments on my stuff, I guess my build is good.

solid state drive, got it.
Is keyboard that important? I never knew.
I have a solid mouse already. but I also don't know the difference between any old mouse and a great mouse.
Cases are replaceable right?

You're a total dumbfuck if that's true.

HDD's will just stop working long before an SSD just stops working, assuming you got a new SSD anyways

link? they're all $460+

>I heard SSD will just stop working after some time
SSDs are fine, still too expensive to use as media drives for mid-range computers, but great for boot drives and most commonly used programs, games, etc.