>14 year consensus
(You)

>put source code out for open editing
>surprisingly, nobody wants to code for free

Guess it is dying.

>people wanting money for code
those fucking jews

How does Open Source even work?

I keep thinking it works like Wikipedia, where people can just jump in and make any old edit, but who decides when the actual program is compiled into the next version?

What do they do about vandals fucking up the loop conditions and covertly making the app send angry, sexual invitations to the FBI?

This is a genuine question.

That could be explained by the fact that the internet used to have more people that cared about computers and now has filled with idiots from facebook

thats not how open source work you fucking mongoloid retard

Well I don't fucking know man

tell me some stuff

You have a main (master) branch maintained by the core devs, and then everyone else can either fork the source or submit a edit.
When a edit is submitted, the core devs can either decide to merge it into the master branch, or reject it.

This is why open source doesn't help when the lead devs are faggots.

Oh, THAT'S open source development?

That's basically, "here, code my shit for free and I'll maybe take it from you if it's good".

No wonder it's declining.

The fact that you're on Sup Forums but have never contributed to an open project means you're probably overflow FILTH from Sup Forums or Sup Forums

GET OUT.

For shitty devs, yes that's how it would work.
What should happen though is that the lead devs do most of the work, but anyone else can contribute if they want.
The real advantage though is that you can fork it and make your own branch, allowing you to implement your own features or ideas without having to recreate the entire project from scratch.

Now stop avatarfagging before I report you.

I'm s-sorry...

I just wanted to learn the cool stuff you guys talk about all the time

GET OUT REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>This is why open source doesn't help when the lead devs are faggots.
see systemd

Nobody cares.

Either pay me for my time spent doing work that my uncle did for free in the 90s or fuck off so I can compile this app for iOS

no u

Not him but open source projects are always in need of documentation.

If you're interested in contributing but can't program, most projects will graciously accept documentation patches.

Am I an unlikeable poster to you?

It's either this or tripfagging.

i like your reaction images

people mostly use git now, or some other version control. someone makes their changes to the code, and submits it for review. there's one or more people that have the ability to accept the request if they deem the code acceptable, and they merge it with the main branch of the code. so you can't just shit all over it and have it show up right away like wikipedia. the person altering the code is working on their own separate copy of it.