Android Studio

>requires at least 16GB of RAM to not stutter while doing basic things
>basically impossible to use on laptop unless you have one of those insane gaming laptops with giant fans

Why is Android IDE so thirsty CPU and RAM?

Is there an inherent reason why both the IDE and emulator are both so slow and resource hungry other than Java?

What is Google doing to alleviate this? Last major improvement in this area was HAXM emulation acceleration, and that was not even made by Google but provided by Intel (and will probably not receive more improvement since Intel shut down the Atom mobile SoC business).

When did this start?

It was working well on my X60 a couple of years ago. Only issue was with the emulator, although it's shit no matter what system I use.

Works on my machine with 8 gib meme

The Android development environment is a fucking mess, layers upon layers of pure bloat. Why the fuck can't I just write a simple makefile and use make to build my fucking app?

That's not the Google "hacker spirit," adding more shit on top of shit pile as a make-work project for everyone.

just loaded lineageos on my phone and a shitload of apps. it will probably the be last android version I'll ever use, so I don't care about the bloat after this. oh, and the world is coming to an end so there is this too.

Well, you can go with just two concise graddle files, a Manifest, your sources, and app resources with only cmd SDK tools. There're even docs to do that on the official Android dev. site.

>he's a RAMlet

This
16gb isn't even a lot
Wtf op?

google is such a disgrace. How can we stop them before they ruin technology for good?

stackoverflow.com/questions/27176353/android-studio-takes-too-much-memory

There's even an official speedup guide by Google (in the link)

Runs fine on my machineā„¢.

I just don't install any virtual images because that takes so much space and I already have my SSD filled with the virtual images Xamarin creates. I use my own phone to test the applications.

>what is bloatcore I/O of the Android IDE
>what is millions of random reads for various common operations for millions of class files of the Android SDK
>what is kernel memory file cache that can deal with that shit

Does the emulator in Android Studio native support with Ryzen or do you still have to use Intel?

kys faggot

Well you could use intelliJ IDEa which is kinda the same thing and a different emulator.

AMD emulation is supported on Linux only. So yes but you have to use Linux.

>requires at least 16GB of RAM to not stutter while doing basic things
wow it's like it's really Android itself
:^)

You think that's bad, when I took my mobile dev class a couple years ago, they made us use Appcelerator instead because of multiplatform support. It's absolute fucking garbage, most of the documentation focussed on Mac/iPhone development, and lots of stuff they let you do with iPhones weren't supported on Android. I even had to install a third party emulator, because the native one was painfully slow.

>his phone doesn't have 32GB of RAM
iPleb please go

Worked fine on my laptop, 8 gigs only. Did not stutter at all. If need be there is low power option. I'm not saying it isn't a horrible shit software, but it did run ok.

If Xcode, a nightmare originating from early 90s "muh OO everything" era built on half-baked ideas from academics who couldn't give two fucks about performance or scalability, is vastly superior than your IDE in terms of performance, you have a major problem.

And, Google obviously isn't interested in fixing it.

without memeing
which is even slightly better Xcode or android studio as an IDE?

Xcode

Is it possible to produce an APK from react native code alone? And without the android SDK? I don't have enough space to download the SDK.

No.