UBUNTU 18.04 DEFAULT APP SERVEY IS HERE, FAGGOTS

docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScOZggYro5S5okO8yhoGI5h2ucicBZPGGLYGOI6dINA1WSTzQ/viewform

>terminal
what do I have to put in there?

Tilix

IMPORTANT!!!

Vote for Dolphin or any other file manager. The standard file manager of Ununtu GNOME is basically useless. Over the years they have stripped every god damn feature off that was useful.

SO PLEASE vote for Dolphin file manager. It's probably the most feature rich file manager out there.

>You can suggest non-free and non-open source software

Thing is, dolphin won't "fit into" the GNOME desktop. I would suggest Nemo, Cinnamon's file manager. It'd modern, fast and does the job well

MAKE

UBUNTU

GREAT

AGAIN

>rxvt
pure autism

>The rest
Even more autism

EVERYONE VOTE FOR UNGOOGLED CHROMIUM

FIREFOX IS DONE

Back to your daily chrome shilling thread, autist

>suggests ungoogled-chromium
>is a google shill

You can do better than this, user-kun.

Voted UC for browser before I read the thread

Actually it works sometimes for me.

How come Linux distros come with so much shit by default? Why can't it be like Windows 9x installation where you can choose to install nearly nothing but the desktop?

[x] doubt

>proprietary botnetted garbage
disgusting

GNU IceCat is king

You guys realize they will ignore all the "use ranger as your file manager xD" submissions right?

Yeah, this.

Ubuntu is the main out-of-the-box distro, not for edgy arch/gentoo weebs that use everything in a terminal.

This thing actually does work, not always, but it does. Might help you out when you think you've ran out of possible solutions.

Some Linux distros have a lot of things installed by default, others have nothing installed by default.

My choices are better than your choices. Prove me wrong.

But why aren't there any where you can just choose what you want installed by default? When they have a lot of shit by default it's a pain to uninstall all the shit and when they have nothing by default it's a pain to install all the shit manually.

Ubuntu has a minimal install now I think. You can install that then a DE with a core setting to not include extras.

VIM IS NOT A FUCKING IDE
WHEN WILL YOU BASEMENT-DWELLING FUCKS EVER LEARN
BEING COVERED IN SHIT ISN'T NORMAL EITHER, ASS PIES

I don't agree with everything but damn this would be nice

>gvim
fuck that, emacs

>palemoon
implying ff and all its forks arent total shit. Ungoogled chromium > *

>emacs
that's for brainlets.

>Ungoogled chromium
still a botnet but much harder to use. not to mention it has only webextensions.

shit choices all around, kid. NEXT!

Zsh

VOTE FOR MPV

GNOME-MPV suits the best

t. VI(rgin)

A modified Nemo would be better, Dolphin looks awkward in a Gnome environment.

>GTK3

No

Thats a shell not a terminal.

>UNGOOGLED CHROMIUM
>sign in to your google account

I agree with these software choices.

perfect

Ubuntu is shippint GNOME, idiot

GIMP is trashware and the project should really just be terminated. Vote for Krita instead; it's not even meant to do the same job as GIMP and yet it's still better.

Using Gimp over Krita leads me to believe that you're a pleb. You'd choose MSPaint over Photoshop if given the chance.

They're just gonna go for mostly Gnome defaults instead of better alternatives anyway.

Dis^

This is fantastic. I would actually try Ubuntu if it listened to this advice. You're doing gods work user.

ROXTerm

ROX-Filer

>Gimp vs Krita

The only correct alternative is running Photoshop on Wine.

Glad you responded to my opinion.

did I do right Sup Forums

GIMP is great and free, why hate it? You sound like the assblasted Windowsfags complaining how everything is different when trying other OSs. Of course things will be different, your asshole has been primed by whatever you've been using for years.

autists

gimp is trash. It's ok to do something non-standard way but the way gimp made it is trash. There ARE good alternative editors, like Pixelmator or Affinity Photo.

>all these plebs suggesting Libre Office instead of based WPS Office
MAXIMUM DISDAIN

>waaa
>i can't make a circle

>not using doc to text converter
>being patrician

>le Krita isn't made for image editing but drawing
It does both better than GIMP while having a far superior UI.

Does AbiWord for office suite?

That does exactly the same as right clicking the icon and clicking "repair" did in windows xp(ipconfig release/renew/flushdns), but dramatically slower on purpose(there is a literal timer that counts off several seconds to create the illusion that it is doing work for psychological reasons) and in a pretty glass-edged box.

not using irssi....

fucking nigger monkey

GIMP sucks while sucking the air out of the room and preventing alternative development efforts-- Krita developers have stated this. Krita's still better despite this.

>wanting to fuck up Linux with freetard software,
Fuck off? People want something that just works and isn't windows.

vim is a real programmer's editor. everything else is a toy.

>Krita
they refuse to add image processing and editing functionality and just say to use GIMP. I need something to fuck around with images and make wallpapers. I'm not an artist so GIMP's the only game in town.

>WPS Office
unfortunately, not open source.

>
>>WPS Office
>unfortunately, not open source.
That's quite literally, why it doesn't suck, unlike LibreOffice.

Web Browser: Qupzilla
Email Client: kmail
Terminal: konsole
IDE: kdevelop
File Manager: dolphin
Basic Text Editor: kwrite
IRC / Messaging Client: kvirc
PDF Reader: okular
Office Suite: Calligra
Calendar: korganizer
Video Player: mpv
Video Editor: kdenlive
Music Player: cantata, juk
Photo Viewer: gwenview, qcomicbook
Photo Editor: krita, kolourpaint
Screen Recorder: vokoscreen
Bonus Apps (eg: Network/CPU Monitor, Logitech Unifier, Glipper, etc..): skrooge

Foreword: A lot of my reasoning is based on the best balance between looks and functionality. This is because I have many more years of past experience with customizing macOS as my daily driver. It is no longer my main OS but I still like when things look nice and are efficient to use. Few concerns on the CPU impact of programs because my ultrabook is extremely powerful.

Web browser: Chromium. Firefox is ugly and missing some features, but also has some features other browsers don't.
Email client: There are no good free email clients; some are just better then others. I am developing an email client (for any service) that looks like Gmail's compact view and is NOT an Electron application. Web-based Gmail can be used offline, though. Thunderbird is really ugly and I don't like its search or sorting.
Terminal: GNOME Terminal. It's not great, but it's the closest thing to the beautiful one on macOS.
IDE: IntelliJ IDEA or CLion. Serious development on Linux is limited. I seriously cannot imagine OOP outside of Python and web development on Linux. Please change my view.
File Manager: Finder
Basic Text Editor: don't care
IRC / Messaging Client: HexChat
PDF Reader: The web browser
Office Suite: Microsoft
Calendar: no
Video Player: VLC (reluctantly) because it's the only one with a decent GUI and enough options on Linux. Unless anyone knows anything that looks and works like MPC or QT.
Video Editor: no
Music Player: DeaDBeeF, foobar2k, or a CLI, but a good video player should be able to handle this the best.
Photo Viewer: gThumb (reluctantly) or the web browser
Photo Editor: Krita or GIMP (reluctantly)
Screen Recorder: Open Broadcaster Software or sharenix
Bonus Apps: leave it up to the user

wine for ms office?

I used WPS Office before, it has less support than Libreoffice and it does bug out and throws chinese error messages

Yes, it looks and works just like it does on Windows and macOS. Really fast, too. Otherwise probably just stick with G Suite. Avoid using Office Online or the web version of iWork.

When it comes to open-source alternatives, LibreOffice Calc wins, but OpenOffice Writer wins for text documents. Impress etc. became useless to me after I left high school.

was kinda buggy when i tried it a few months back
maybe its better but doubt it

Yes, but the Linux subsystem is only a terminal you need to install and configure X.

should also append that WPS Office looks alright but I've yet to try it

isnt microshit deprecating their offline office

>bonus apps

redshift m8, unless it's the new gnome with built in redshift

how'd they do that?
changing formats? nobody would use their new platform

They would probably make a office 365 webapp where you needed a login to use the service. I could see it being used in a corporate setting.

Web Browser: eww
Email client: mu4e
Terminal: eshell or ansi-term
IDE: emacs
File Manager: dired
Basic text editor: emacs
IRC client: Erc
PDF Reader: DocView mode
Office Suite: Org Mode and Auctex
Video Player: emms
Video Editor: Gneve
Music Player: Emms
Photo Viewer: Image-Dired
Photo Editor: Picture-mode
Screen Recorder: Screencast Mode

>they refuse to add image processing and editing functionality and just say to use GIMP.
They said they weren't adding it because GIMP exists. That's why GIMP needs to die.

Jonte...

voted for
>firefox
>qtcreator
>dolphin
>vim
>smplayer
everhyting else empty

It works if you're not a dumb fuck. Can't connect to DNS? It's your ISP, everything else is almost always on your end.

Anyways, windows 10 {spyware} has a much better network diagnostic than 7, and it does in fact work quite well.

>what I use is what programmers use
I'm sure you're a l33t h4x0r.

faggot.

>basic text editor
>emacs

>emacs
>basic

>WPS Office
Enjoy your proprietary chinese botnet, faggot.

>not using sxiv

>being in tech in 2017 and not being fluent in Chinese by now
You'll soon be limited to flipping burgers I'm afraid, my friend.

I'm trolling it.

V
U
N
D
L
E

desu I'd prefer they just not include any default programs so I can just install the shit I need.

Fuck back to school, underage summer fag.

Lick my ass.

You're just mad because your worthless open sores community has been working on Open/LibreOffice for ages and hasn't been able to get even close to the most basic level of functionality and compatibility with MS Office required by the average user whole always playing catch-up, whereas a bunch of dumb gooks actually did it.

Prime example of how "free" software will never be on par with serious software.

wow, you're so clever! which grade are you in?

This desu.

Mandarin is the new English.

2nd, possibly 3rd. Not sure if I got held back again.

It's not a pain to uninstall

sudo apt-get purge app1 app2 app3 appX

>average zsh user

this

people need to stop being stupid

use CodeLite

Web Browser: firefox
Email client: thunderbird
Terminal: deepin terminal
IDE: no
File Manager:Nemo or Thunar ( Dolphin is the best, but to much Kde dependencies)
Basic text editor: vim
PDF Reader: evince or llpp
Office Suite: Libreoffice
Video Player: mpv
Music Player: Cmus is the best (I tried a lot), Amarok second best (but Kde)
Photo Viewer: PhotoQt or Deepin Image Viewer
Photo Editor: no
Screen Recorder: Deepin-screenshot

10/10