I need some help, I came into a set of Cisco 1850 APs

I need some help, I came into a set of Cisco 1850 APs.

But how exactly do I set these up in my house?
Do i need a router, or a modem to get them to work?

Or just set them up with POE and viola?

Im totally ignorant when it comes to AP's and how they differ from traditional like a linksys router.

Other urls found in this thread:

certcollection.org/forum/topic/272732-cisco-wireless-collections/page__st__182
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

They are not routers and will need to be networked with a router.

However, if your house is already wired for ethernet, just plug them in and configure them with your proper SSID, password, and encryption.

You might need a PoE injector if you don't have PoE switches.

Think of APs as "imagine if I could rip the antenna off of my wireless router, connect it with a really long cable instead and then put that antenna somewhere else." The AP is the antenna and the long cable is ethernet.

I have a POE switch, so then I would connect POE switch to a router, then run the POE to the AP's and then I have wifi?

Regular old router work?

Really what are the advantages of using these things instead of the normal route? I got them for free so I figured why not take em.

it has to have the correct firmware to run without a controller.

you are already in over your head, call geeksquad kiddo

They're much higher end than your router, and since they aren't doing anything besides wifi, they've got less overhead doing other things.

All the router is going to do is use NAT to provide a proper local IP and make sure they can access your public IP, and the internet.

Nahh I was able to load the controller onto one of the AP's so that will act as one and allow the other one to run of it.

And shit I know I am over my head, thats why im seeking some guidance. I got all the shit set up on it, just need a little guiding hand for what should be easy stuff but im struggling

>But how exactly do I set these up in my house?
You'll ideally want to use a Wireless LAN controller. They come as either seperate appliances or as VMs. You can probably setup them up as autonomous APs which dont require one too.

>Do i need a router, or a modem to get them to work?
You need a seperate router for internet access.

I have 3 Cisco APs and a vWLC at home. Ask me anything.

>You might need a PoE injector if you don't have PoE switches.
He doesn't, they can be powered through a DC power adapter.

>I have a POE switch, so then I would connect POE switch to a router, then run the POE to the AP's and then I have wifi?
yes

>Really what are the advantages of using these things instead of the normal route? I got them for free so I figured why not take em.
they dont suck shit. you can do cool things like jam your neighbor's wifi with them if you connect them to a controller - see the rogue containment feature

>Wireless LAN controller
pic related

That dashboard is exactly like the one I was looking at when I was setting it up.

Okay thank you, the main thing I just needed to make sure if my house(getting a new house in august) wasnt wired for ethernet, then I would need to go

If the house is wired for ethernet do those provide power? Or would I just use the 48v power adapter and plugin the ethernet cable?

Wall --> modem --> router --> switch --> AP's which will give me wifi.

As long as I dont need any certain kind of modem or router I should be good.

What model AP's do you have?

I will definitely have to look into some of the other cool features, I just got this like 4k list price tech handed to me so I have absolutely no idea about them

>the main thing I just needed to make sure if my house(getting a new house in august) wasnt wired for ethernet, then I would need to go
wut

>If the house is wired for ethernet do those provide power?
if you have a PoE switch which is compatible with whatever version of PoE those APs use.

>Or would I just use the 48v power adapter and plugin the ethernet cable?
or you can do that, its what i do

>As long as I dont need any certain kind of modem or router I should be good.
no it doesnt matter, you really should have a managed switch however

>What model AP's do you have?
some old 1140s, i need to get around to replacing them with 3600s so i can do mesh networking instead of workgroup bridging.

Throw it in the trash unless you want cancer

>no it doesnt matter, you really should have a managed switch however
Why?

I mean, they're cool and all, certainly better than unmanaged, but it's not REALLY going to offer him much benefit in a home network scenario unless he is doing some specific stuff.

>Why?
So you can use VLANs. Technically you can probably get these things to just use the native VLANs for everything.

>much benefit in a home network scenario unless he is doing some specific stuff.
being able to segregate guest traffic on its own network for example. or if wherever your cable/whatever modem is, isnt where you want all your computer stuff to be you can plug one AP in to the mode and the other in to your switch, use multiple SSIDs and VLANs so you can send your Modem Router traffic over its own VLAN/SSID pair, and then your normal wifi traffic over its own different pair. Cisco switches arent that expensive, you can get 3750Es for under $100 on ebay

So It is a catalyst 3560 so its pretty old, we just had it laying around.

Again, that's fun and all if you're a network hobbyist, but for the average home user that is useless.

You find use to it because you enjoy it. Most people would see that sort of stuff as needless configuration for something that provides no real tangible benefits.

Okay so for the time being I am dumb as a box of rocks when it comes to networking.

So my main goal is just getting wifi set up, then I can start messing around things.

I just want to get anything I might need while I get my juicy 90% off discount before I go back to college

>So It is a catalyst 3560 so its pretty old, we just had it laying around.
its only a 100mbit switch, you should throw it in the trash unless it has a G or E at the end of its name

i just listed a benefit, being able to put your IT shit where you want it without having to have your home rewired.

>i just listed a benefit, being able to put your IT shit where you want it without having to have your home rewired.
again, for most people this is MORE work, for little to nothing.

MOST people don't have home servers with enterprise grade networking gear.

This guy obviously just wants to get his wifi set up.

>MOST people don't have home servers with enterprise grade networking gear.
OP clearly does otherwise this thread wouldnt exist

Well I definitely don't want to have to rewire shit my house.

I know im in over my head but Im down for a science experiment pretty much if I gotta do a lot of fiddling to get this working.

But I will have to check tomorrow if the switch has an letters, if it is only 100mb switch, what should I buy and replace it with?

they're shit but check out the Easy Setup and "Security > SSID Manager"

that's basically all you need to use 'em as APs

Google it and stop wasting Sup Forums megabytes with your fixing garbage childish billshit.

Do your own fucking research

>pretending to be me

Wew lad

VLANs are nice, but they only matter if you want to have discreet networks in your house. If you're fine with all your devices on a single network, then you're literally just throwing money away.

How are they shit? But thank you, I think I got them all set up to be used

Is Sup Forums supposed to be used for anything else? Lol, sorry for having a technology discussion on the technology board

Im getting pretty much everything free, so im not too worried about "throwing money away" just using this as a learning experience and hopefully get some good wifi out of the deal.

>what should I buy and replace it with?
A 3560G, 3560E, 3750G or 3750E. To configure them you'll need to buy a Cisco console cable off ebay/amazon for $5/$10

If you're getting shit for free or basically free, just get an SG300-10PP or similar.

I grabbed a console cable so I got that, okay Ill look into getting one of those if need be. Thank you

Just a fyi but the E models have two 10gig ports

Should I also grab a firewall while Im at it? I think I can get an ASA 5506 for pretty cheap?

You can, but you'll likely be in over your head and need to do some reading before configuring everything.

Everything gives you cancer.

Im already 10 feet over my head so I might as well get deeper...right?

I shoulda just got meraki stuff

Some AP's, including some Cisco's, can be configured as 'fat' AP's that act as their own controller.

But the underlying question is, what the fuck are you doing with an AP if you know nothing about networking?

>I think I can get an ASA 5506 for pretty cheap?
No. if you want to fuck with a Cisco firewall get the Firepower Threat Defense virtual VM. If you go on certcollection I posted a crack for it under the name muhfugen.

fuck meraki, it is the most jewish thing ever. if you stop paying your subscription fee, your equipment bricks itself

its called autonomous, not fat. and i can only assume OP is trying to learn

>meraki stuff
lol no.

Subscription fees rape you.

Yea man im just trying to learn this stuff, I am sales intern for Cisco and im trying to actually know some of how stuff works and what better way to learn.

And alrighty, noted. No meraki.

Tomato, to-mato--Motorola explicitly called them 'fat' AP's.

>Motorola
this is a Cisco thread user

Well fuck, if you work for them and can just take shit, get a 3850 switch instead. The 3560/3750 G/E i talked about before was just for shit off ebay.

Ill see what I can do!

Ideally how long should these AP's be able to last?

>Ideally how long should these AP's be able to last?
a long ass time. >10 years. you'll replace it because they're obsolete before they'll likely die

goddamn thats awesome to hear

Is there anything else I should buy while I have this option?

I mean fuck if you get 90% discounts you can just buy shit and sell it on ebay and make more than you do in your day job most likely.

its more of how much time and money do you want to drop in to this. and how much are you willing to spend on electricity every month.

if you dont have a server to run firepower threat defense virtual machine then yeah i guess get a ASA. what is your internet connection speed?

Is there any way you can get me licenses for Cisco Identity Services Engine or a Cloud Services Router 1000V?

I'd like to continue being employed, so i will regretfully decline just selling their shit. Im getting this stuff to learn on

And right now I have gigablast.

And I cant, but if youre going to be buying stuff now is the time with the end of Cisco's fiscal year like next week. You seem to know a good bit, so you must know someone from Cisco who wouldn't mind dealing a little bit.

>gigablast
You would need a lot more than a 5506, a 5545 is the minimum, and even then it wouldnt hurt to go higher depending on how many IPS rules you have enabled.

>so you must know someone from Cisco who wouldn't mind dealing a little bit.
And sadly no i dont, which is why im asking you. Those licenses would also be for home and there is no way in fuck im paying retail for it.

Yea man sorry I cant be of help, I purchase through an engineer, but he would definitely question those.

>I have 3 Cisco APs and a vWLC at home
Not OP, but I have a shit load of Cisco APs that are running in autonomous mode atm. I would like to use a (virtual) wireless controller, but I'm not sure where to get one. Is there a good free open source one or would I be better off looking for a torrented one?

>but I'm not sure where to get one
if you create an account on certcollection you can find the thread with the torrent links to the most recent one. licensing is done on the honor system so you can add as many as you like.

> Is there a good free open source one
it is vendor proprietary

>certcollection
certcollection.org/forum/topic/272732-cisco-wireless-collections/page__st__182

create a account and press the thanks button

Thanks a bunch, just what I was looking for!
>it is vendor proprietary
Yeah, I know cisco is like that I just thought that maybe because cisco is so big/popular someone might have made a knockoff or something