/sqt/

Stupid Questions Thread.
Sometimes stupid questions get stupid answers.
Not kosher or halal.

Other urls found in this thread:

mpc-hc.org/
sourceforge.net/projects/boot-repair-cd/
vocaroo.com/i/s1eSgb4Jeyo7
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Is it possible to attach a virus/trojan/malware/ransomware to an .mp3 file or similar? I downloaded an album off of a filehosting site after specifically requesting it to be uploaded from a person, which makes me massively paranoid of their intentions.

I tried googling it, but got everything from "you're fine" to "UR COMP HAS AIDS LOL".

What programs are better than VLC for viewing visual media?

MPC (CCCP if codecs are still a problem) and MPV.
And almost everything.

Scan it with malwarebytes or upload it to virustotal.
Its clean? its safe.

it was in the file itself, not attached to an actual mp3.

I like MPC-HC.

mpc-hc.org/

Maybe if you know what player someone was going to use and you knew some bugs in the decoder that let you execute code. haven't heard about any virus targeting media players though, apart from flash.

Why is MPC the best?

Also, what are the problems with codecs?

What browser use? I'm getting tire of Waterfox because is giving me some problems

I'm running Firefox ESR under Void Linux and the rendering of resized pictures is fucking ass. This hadn't happened to me under Debian.

Do you think using the main release of Firefox or Nightly will fix this issue? I'd rather not, though.

I'm downloading a file with Deluge and it's a pretty small file, like 400 megabytes or something, however it's downloading at about 300 KiB/s. I know it's better to throttle download speeds but is there any way to at least increase the speed some?

Got a new roommate for uni and he says he wants me to use his xmpp address, (his username here)@memeware.net to email him

Dafuq is that

Thanks for the replies. I've scanned the one song/file I wanted from the album, Virustotal said it was clean. The only other files in the .rar were an image in .png file and other MPEG 3 files. I should be clear, right?

power inverter puzzle:
(all devices are new)
I have a small 12 volt battery running to a bestek 400w power inverter, using the included cables. I'm am trying to power a mini amplifier (drok audio tpa3116). alone, it will not power on but it does work if another device(headphone amp) is being powered

here is what I must to for it to power up:
reset everything
power adapter unplugged
power inverter off
amp off
second device off
plug everything in
power on inverter
power on secondary device (inverter has an audible change in load noise)
turn on amp
the amp runs fine
it is now safe to power off and unplug the second device
however, if I switch off the amp, I have to repeat the exact same cycle from step one.

this all started happening when I turned the amp up too high and made it auto shut down (it was not hot, I think it just has a low tolerance safety switch).

notes:
the amp still works fine when plugged into my outlets.
the inverter seems to power anything else I plug into it, just not the amp.

im going to replace everything one by one tomorrow to find the weak link, but I'm won erring if any of you might be able to figure it out before me.

I got myself this baby and I want to program it.
What would be better to learn in order to do that: Verilog or VHDL?

Which laptop would give me the best bang for the buck? I just started a new job where I sit in a basement office for 10 hours, so I need a mid level laptop for steam games. I have a gaming PC, so I'm not looking for a top of the line alien ware laptop. Any suggestions?

look for an hp ultrabook. their high end models are good.

Literally any laptop with a GPU.
Youre not looking for quality here if you want only to game.

Does this webm have presentable quality?

What's the difference between a core and a thread? I never get an answer on google that makes any sense to me.

From what I was told back in EE Verilog is more popular in the US, VHDL is more popular in Asia, I don't remember for Europe.

Barebones image filter for this site?
I don't want any other feature really.

A core is a physical package of microelectronics. A thread is a "train of thought" for that package. If a CPU has 4 physical packages and each package can be "thinking" about two different processes at the same time (it actually just switches back and forth between them really fast), we call that 4 cores/8 threads.

I'm trying to install some stuff from F-Droid on my tablet, but it's been throwing this error and I have no clue what it means or how to solve it.
F-Droid installs a long while ago worked just fine, and it also works fine in my other devices, it's just on this tablet that the error happens.
I can't find any info regarding an I\O error in F-Droid specifically either.

Anyone know what's going on?

>it actually just switches back and forth between them really fast
Okay that clears it up then.

>xmpp
It's IM without a big corporate interloper. Clients are easy to find. See jabber.org

Pull a lolcat
$ adb logcat

>Pull a lolcat
>$ adb logcat
Should I feel stupid if I don't know what this is?

>.png
RIP. You got stegoloaded, m8

Yes.

Go install adb support on your computer, plug your tablet into the computer, issue the logcat command over adb and look at what your tablet answers.

No matter what I do that's windows-related, my pc is showing a black screen after loading windows. The screen isn't DEAD, the backlight is on but it's just displaying black... as if it were displaying to another monitor. With the GPU unplugged and no extra monitors plugged in it still does this... Startup repair, the install itself, a windows install USB stick... all no dice, they load into the environment and then *poof* fucking black screen.

Does anybody know what I could do to remedy this? I've been trying to fix this fucking thing all day long and literally everything that I try results in that goddamn black screen after windows loads.

I use teracopy but "undo" function doesn't work. How can I replace this function?

Oh, also:
Windows + ctrl + B makes the backlight die and then come back on, exactly as if it were acting as an extra monitor.

Nah, just means you're not a developer.
Sounds like you've got a hardware problem on your tablet. Maybe logcat will tell you what is happening in slightly more detail.
You need to perform some prep if you're not already a developer.

Which Windows? This is important for being able to try shit.

Is the surface 3 pro a good alternative to a think pad x2X0?
Will primarily be used for uni shit (cyber security)
I would like to install GNU/Linux onto it if possible

Sorry. Windows 10.

Once it's done booting, try Win-P, Down, Enter

I've been messing around with win+p, now the BIOS + the "loading startup repair" windows appear on 2/3 monitors (when extras are connected)... Still no dice on getting image to appear on any monitors after windows has actually loaded.

Well the next thing I would suspect is some kind of driver issue, so I'd try to get into Safe Mode. Unfortunately there aren't really reliable ways to do that in Win10 without being able to see what you're doing. You can try mashing F8 during boot. You could also try intentionally interrupting Windows booting by cutting power; after a few times, it goes into automatic repair mode which allows you to access Troubleshooting (and then Safe Mode is a special restart option).

what's with the callisto threads?

I finally managed to install Windows 7 and now I'm stuck using my motherboard's one ps2 slot that will only read my ps2 keyboard, not the mouse. No USB drivers to read my USB mouse/keyboard and my motherboard's primary install route can't be done via keyboard. Somebody help me, I'm retarded and I've been struggling with this shit for a week.

Automatic repair mode has the same black-screen-once-it's-loaded issue
It's like I'm in hell, literally every single viable recovery option isn't functional due to this goddamn issue. I'm pretty sure that I fucked up the MBR on my actual install due to all the restarting before I figured out it was probably a monitor issue.

I think someone is trying to force a meme.

Don't you have a keyboard with a numpad? Turn on Mouse Keys from the Accessibility settings. Numbers around the edge move the mouse, 5 to left click.

Just to clarify: can you get into BIOS and scroll around all of the menus in there on at least one monitor?

Please don't try to unnecessarily trigger my paranoia, user. The .png was the second file I scanned. Turned up clean.

So I have a high quality soundcard that I recently got and I notice on the desktop that sounds seem to cut off if there was no sound for a while.

This soundcard is connected to a 5.1 sourround sound reciever(even though my headphones are connected to the reciever) via digital Orange RCA jack(pic related)

Is there anyway to stop the sounds cutting off?

Look for the sound card in your OS's device manager and check the settings for anything having to do with power saving or sleep modes. Make sure those are disabled. You might find similar settings under your OS's general power management. Look through the details to make sure that devices on your computer aren't turned off when idle.

If that doesn't do it, you should make sure it's not your receiver "going to sleep" before turning your scrutiny to the card itself.

My laptop won't resume properly on Linux. All components turn on except the screen. Any help would be nice.

Yep.
If I select a windows-related boot device, it shows the W10 logo, the spinning wheel, and then after the logo fades I get a black signal, same as if it was the non-primary monitor. This happens no matter how many or how few I have plugged in.

Get windows.

merge with a tracker with more peers

Once it (mostly) resumes, hit Ctrl-Alt-F1. Then Ctrl-Alt-F7. Anything? (Note that I don't know if your laptop requires you to hold a Fn key to access the F-keys.)

do routers "just work"?

my families on charter (ISP) and they're using a charter-rented router. paying 6 dollars a month. they want to just buy their own. will they have issues if they do this?

Eh the card doesnt have sleep modes or whatever(its an old auzentech meredian 7.1 but its not like soundcards have changed much) but it also seems like my receiver doesn't have a settings menu(its from 2003 as well).

And when it happens even without the GPU installed, the Win-P thing has no effect on the single monitor plugged into your mobo?

Which video connections do you have on your mobo, by the way?

It's not that I'm saying the card would have a "sleep mode," but that your OS might be cutting power to inactive devices because of some power saving settings. That wouldn't depend on the device. It can even cut inactive USB buses.

Yes. As long as you're talking just about the router and not the modem (the device which plugs directly into the wall via coax [cable modem] or phone line [DSL]), then you can use your own router freely.

Router or modem?

If router, yes, just buy a cheap WRT54GL.

Yep. The issue persists with and without the GPU installed. The absolutely infuriating part about this is that I was able to boot into recovery mode successfully a single time, and never since.

Video connections on the back are: HDMI, DVI, VGA, and DisplayPort

I don't know if you tested it, but I'd find it hilarious if it's forever trying to display on mobo VGA just because it can.

Well my os(windows 7) isnt doing that.

It also only happens for the digital inputs not analog.

Getting started with electronics, here's the list of things to buy : breadboard, wires, led s , multimeter, pack of resistors and a wire cutter. Anything I'm missing?

How do I make a live USB persistent? As in, if I install a program, I want the program to beer installed the next time I boot

That's unsurprising. Just think about the difference between digital and analog signals. Having a device plugged into the digital output (which your computer would recognize) is going to make it susceptible to being either definitively on or definitively off. And that's where idle times come into play.

Look I mean you could try opening a sound file, setting your audio player to repeat and turning the volume down to zero. In theory nothing is measuring how much actual sound is coming from the component. All that matters is whether it's being used. Even at zero volume, the audio player will be using the device. Maybe that'll keep it active. Buys you some time until you have better ideas than snooping around for power settings.

* to be installed.
Dammit autocorrect

I meant
That board is for that kind of stuff.
Sup Forums is mostly dedicated to computers.
Also get an arduino and a soldering iron.

You have to find and follow instructions for whichever environment it is you have on that live USB. It'll vary between bootloaders, OSes, etc. Google and patience are your friends.

I'll test that now
Fucking weird news from the testbench:
Looks like it displays to the correct monitor when the drive with the fucked boot manager is disconnected /regardless of whether or not that is the drive being booted to/. This is a gigantic issue, since wangblows is failing to read the drive if it's plugged in after the system is already on.... I.E, I can't actually run repairs on it.
This is honestly the strangest computer-related issue that I've ever seen since I had a bios with a corrupted symbol table.

Yeah im gonna keep looking. It only cuts off like once after the sound starts(such as spamming the volume bar button the first clock is cut off yet the rest are fine).

Thanks, new here

Anyone can recommend a cheap wifi enabled power strip that can control all the outlets independently and not likely to burn my house down? Would be nice if I can interact with it using Tasker for android as well (whether through a plugin or just sending the packet through send/expect is ok too)

That's actually not too surprising to me. Windows is terrible about accommodating misbehaving secondary drives even if booting off of a perfectly healthy primary. That's why I try to do as much drive fixing as I can from Linux. It'll mount pretty much anything without complaint. (Giggity.)

Anyway I look forward to hearing if the bad install is at least putting out a consistent display on ANY port.

Looks like it's no dice. No port on the back of the mobo outputs any video after windows has booted as long as the problem drive resides within the machine.

I suppose that absolute worst case, I could buy a SATA > USB cable and then run bootrec on that after hot swapping it but it looks like other than that I'm out of options unless I'm missing something. I'm a little surprised that the drives aren't hotswappable, I thought that most mobos supported hotswapping now.

After building a PC what drivers am I supposed to download? I downloaded the GPU drivers but is there anything else?

how do you guys that use bsd as a desktop os deal with external storage? do you use a file system that's cross platform?

Many do, but I know mine was an opt-in setting in the BIOS. No clue why it's off by default but so it was. Maybe take one more deep peak through the available settings? While you're there, you might also look for the option to disable the CPU's integrated graphics. Lots of mobos support that, too. I have no idea if forcing the use of your video card might help this deranged drive get back on track but, hey, it's a possible thing we're missing.

Apart from that, you could try booting off of a Linux LiveUSB and seeing if the drive can be mounted in there. If so, there are non-Microsoft MBR utilities like
sourceforge.net/projects/boot-repair-cd/
which can be prepared as bootable USBs.

All of the drivers for your motherboard. Just punch its manufacturer and model number into Google. The support page will have a whole mess of stuff for you to download and install. It'll cover audio, USB, chipset management stuff, networking and probably half a dozen other garbage things from Intel/AMD and whatever. You can be smart about which ones you pick and choose. But yeah, motherboard.

Sound, Ethernet/wireless, chipset and others.
Try 3DP Chip to see what needs to be updated (remember to dont install the adware the installer includes, uncheck the boxes).

Okay thanks I will get on that then.

Yeah nothing happens. Tried it on bunsenlabs and void. I'm going to try debian next.

Any idea what this noise is? It comes from a power supply. The psu is connected, but not turned on, in fact it doesn't even turn on when tried. The fan doesn't spin and when spun manually the sound doesn't change.

vocaroo.com/i/s1eSgb4Jeyo7

Your roommate is an evil csgo hacker and griefer, beware dude !!!!!

Okay. The reason I suggested it is because X.org misbehaving with suspend/resume is SUPER FUCKING COMMON. It might not be something which you'll resolve just from distro hopping, but rather from looking deeper into and editing configs or some such shit. All I'm saying is that it sounds like you're running into a very common issue for which I offered one occasionally effective remedy.

I ruined my monitor's power jack while trying to fix it (I asked about soldering it in the thread a day or two ago and botched the job)
I'm also pretty certain that I may have fried the monitor's main board, although I don't have any voltmeter to test this out.

I've managed to find a replacement main board online for only $20. Everything is the same on the replacement board, aside from it missing two HDMI ports. Would it still be compatible with my monitor?

Also, any ideas on how to power a main board without a power jack would be appreciated. I've already tried [spoiler]soldering an AC/DC adapter to the main board, which is probably what may have fried the thing, as it hasn't been responsive after that[/spoiler]

The old engine putputputputput noises?
Something is shorting.

Sounds like your PSU demon is fapping.

Seriously though, I have no idea and I wouldn't advise taking a closer look since we are in a thread for stupid questions. Doesn't seem like the right place to have people opening up PSUs.

What's a good USB 3.0 hub? I want one with at least one fast charging port.

Is getting a USB Type C expansion card a good idea at this time?

Yes, that. If it's shorting shouldn't I be able to see sparks when it makes a noise?

Verilog my dude.

Not exactly, still dont use that PSU.

IIs it really worth it to get the CEE certification (certified ethical hacker) or should I just cut the bs and move right on to the CASP?

Thanks user. Seems to work with vanilla derbian so maybe it was the distro or some config files.

>CEE
>certified ethical hacker
Don't get any certification from an organization which can't spell.

user, it really depends on what mp3 codec your using. The mp3 file is not actually executed so to speak on your machine, it is interpreted by a codec.

What you need to do is find out what mp3 codec you are using and research vulnerabilities for that codec, and then you will have your answer.

If your running linux I can tell you that codecs dont execute with superuser privileges (unless you sudo your audio player) so the risk factor is very small.

If your using windows, then I wouldn't be surprised if you open a .txt file and your entire hard drive gets encrypted.

if youre looking for a charging port you'll want a powered hub

anker and aukey are good brands

ya, it really seemed like a meme cert to me too. I figured I should just upgrade my sec+ to CASP and forget about the CEE entirely unless if an employer wants it

I use teracopy but "undo" function doesn't work. How can I replace this function?

Should I install Docker on my linux desktop machine and run Nginx/MySQL inside it for my self hosted apps (local home wiki, etc) or is it overkill and not necessary?

You have a local home wiki and you're worried about overkill.