FreeBSD or CloverOS

Which one do I choose for my
powermac g5 anons? What one should install for the best performance and security?

Other urls found in this thread:

aboutthebsds.wordpress.com/2013/01/25/20/
quora.com/How-is-FreeBSDs-network-stack-superior-to-that-of-Linux
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

gentoo

OpenBSD

Just sell it.

The Powermac G5 is such a beautiful workstation, but that lack of support for the PPC architecture renders it completely useless for any of today's tasks. It is barely able to stream 480p on YouTube.

>It is barely able to stream 480p on YouTube.
Not the G5, you're confusing it with a G4.

My Dual socket, Dual Core G5 with a GeForce 7800GS handles 1080p YouTube just fine.
Even my Dual socket one with a FX5200 does.

>lack of support
>t. I can't compile my own shit

>PowerPC
What went wrong?

/thread

Alternative architectures are where FOSS really shines. If you run it on x86, you can most likely run it on PowerPC, MIPS, etc. If you can get by with a freetard setup on x86, you can on PowerPC. Hell, even PowerPC OS X still has some community support.

Nothing? It's still used in the mainframe and server market.
It's just not an efficient personal computer CPU.

That's POWER, PowerPC's basically only used for embedded stuff these days. For example some POWER CPUs have a small PowerPC core, my RAID card also has a PowerPC processor.

I have a P2010 processor in my router. It runs like a champ.

They are all based on the power architecture.
Even IBM calls them all power architecture chips. Doesn't matter if it's PowerPC or POWER.

Also they have largely similar and developed side by side these days.

If I'm more concerned with not being pozzed by Intel/AMD than I am with efficiency, is it possible to build a relatively modern PowerPC PC? Like where would I purchase the components.

this and mainframes maybe (because very few people/companies keep calling their machines mainframes) but servers definitely no. for the past decade x86_64 has dominated everything non-distributed.

Why? What's the difference between FreeBSD and OpenBSD?

There's still a difference.

They're two separate operating systems. OpenBSD's developed with security in mind and works better as a desktop OS, FreeBSD is developed with servers in mind.

The former is made by autists who don't know what they are doing, the latter is made by autists who know what they are doing.

technically like the difference between windows and osx
*bsd are self contained projects (kernel + user + ports) unlike the linux ecosystem

OpenBSD is developed with code correctness in mind.

FreeBSD is developed to offer the "features" and compatibility people expect in modern operating systems.

In general OpenBSD is much more simple and easy to use. Also better documented. FreeBSD is going to see you changing configuration files and spending time on wikis. OpenBSD is usually acceptable by default. You only really need to change your desktop environment and install your favorite programs (like vim instead of vi).

I'm a freebsd user but I would just go with openbsd honestly
Some of the stuff I've read about the devs from freebsd really make me angry although I still love the os

Hold up nigger feeebsd is the best documented os I've ever seen

Then you haven't seen OpenBSD

NetBSD.

Bait, but FreeBSD sees a lot more large scale server usage. Some of the biggest applications in fact.
Plus FreeBSD base ships with openssh, openssl and pf. Same game.

>Hell, even PowerPC OS X still has some community support.
This. Keep 10.4 on there. You should be able to run classic mode, which opens up a fuckton of software you can grab for free of macintosh garden.
PPC OSX has a modern web browser still for fucks sake.

Isn't OpenBSD's SMP capabilities kind of primative compared to FreeBSD and GNU/Linux?

>PPC OSX has a modern web browser still for fucks sake
Even Mac OS 9 does

Yes

FreeBSD devs makes autistic screeching whenever something they do is good for other *BSDs.

Yea, Firefox is slow too because the system calls Firefox uses a lot are slower on OpenBSD and they don't wanna rewrite Firefox to be faster just on OpenBSD (makes sense).
I still like to use OpenBSD though, because they focus on code quality and making good documentation.

I love it as a firewall. I haven't really done much with it as a server, but I'm kind of interested in using it for spam filtering.

>Even Mac OS 9 does
You cant really post here though. The non JS captchas are hell and passes just dont work.

>I love it as a firewall
PF runs on FreeBSD too and you'll get a far superior TCP stack. Or pfSense if you want a clicky click interface.

I've posted with Classilla before, works fine.
>non JS captchas are hell
It's just like the new captcha except you have click checkboxes on the image segments instead of anywhere on the segment and copy and paste a wall of text afterwards.

>non JS captchas are hell
You select the boxes like normal and then copy-paste the key dump into the box and hit post.

it's not that bad

>The non JS captchas are hell and passes just dont work.
buy a Sup Forums pass.
there, was that so hard?

Maybe its just because when i do OS9 post im on the right side of sloshed and using a tibook with the one button trackpad. The cant quote and cant use the catalog things are pretty suck too though. 4chanx works well in TFF on my ibook at least.

>Some of the stuff I've read about the devs from freebsd really make me angry
Ellaborate?
>I would just go with openbsd
Isn't OpenBSD's creator a tranny fucker that gives out NSA backdoors as soon as they knock on his?

>Isn't OpenBSD's creator a tranny fucker that gives out NSA backdoors as soon as they knock on his?
no

Doesn't FreeBSD's PF lag behind OpenBSD's though? Also, any idea how much better the network performance is?

aboutthebsds.wordpress.com/2013/01/25/20/

Ya, sure?

I have a pass. It wont work on Classilla.

Nice FUD

That reads like it was written by a 14 year old.

Version is not the point, FreeBSD (since 10) forked PF and introduced an SMP patch, which OpenBSD PF still can't into.
As for TCP performance there's plenty of benchmarks and explanation from people much smarter than me.
quora.com/How-is-FreeBSDs-network-stack-superior-to-that-of-Linux

I posted that link and I suck cocks

Some applications really get fucked by the difference in endianness. Many C developers like to do "clever tricks" that only work in little endian.

Good thing the G5s are bi-endian

Calm down, Theo. You knew this day would come.

That's pretty useful. Interesting.

It it bi-endian on a per-application basis or does the OS get to decide the mode the CPU runs in?

The latter

Mac OS X 10.5.8 "Leopard"

Install Debian with XFCE

>Debian on a G5
He wants a computer, not a jet engine

>OpenBSD's developed with security in mind and works better as a desktop OS, FreeBSD is developed with servers in mind.
You got that all wrong, buddy

FreeBSD literary is made to support as many things as possible, desktops, servers, laptops.
OpenBSD tries to be as open as possible, usually ending up with severe limitations when compared to FreeBSD.

You're confusing FreeBSD with NetBSD

Bait or just dumb?

Anyways, nope. Great your *BSD straight, m8

Aww man get it into your tiny brain that NetBSD runs on a toaster. Whatever FreeBSD's motto is, it's not portability because its device support loses to NetBSD by a large margin.
Either way, your brain probably can't run NetBSD due to resource constraints. But there's always hope!

>You got that all wrong, buddy
Not in the slightest. Even FreeBSD devs don't use FreeBSD as their desktop OS. Meanwhile OpenBSD devs dogfood their OS.

>Aww man get it into your tiny brain that NetBSD runs on a toaster.
This wasn't the discussion. NetBSD has nothing to do with it.

It was OpenBSD against FreeBSD.
It follows, as I already said:
>FreeBSD literary is made to support as many things as possible, desktops, servers, laptops.
>OpenBSD tries to be as open as possible, usually ending up with severe limitations when compared to FreeBSD.

>Whatever FreeBSD's motto is, it's not portability because its device support loses to NetBSD by a large margin.
Where's NetBSD's PowerPC support, specially PowerPC64? Oh wait, none, while FreeBSD runs great on a old Mac.

This is related? How?
FreeBSD is a much more up-to-date and feature rich OS compared to OpenBSD.

Nobody uses *BSD as their only/main/always OS for daily desktop use.

Anyways, both of you should read up on FreeBSD and OpenBSD, you get a lot of things confused.

>This is related? How?
The devs use it as a desktop OS so they develop it to be a good one. Not really rocket science here.
>Nobody uses *BSD as their only/main/always OS for daily desktop use.
But that's wrong.
>Anyways, both of you should read up on FreeBSD and OpenBSD, you get a lot of things confused.
I've gotten nothing confused.

>reee get it into your tiny brain reee
>i'm smart you're not reee
is that a typical BSD faggot? I might reconsider using it

it's not like I'd use a powerpc computer from 12 years ago as a main machine anyways, so that isn't really the problem

Got to love Sup Forums and it's autists.
Some edgy teenagers who get their first non Windows/Linux/macOS taste of another OS, suddenly think they are experts after using it in a virtual machine for a while and want to argue to people who have used several flavors of it for decades.

This is literally how you make people think.
I still hope this was just bait though.

>hurr durr ur dum xDDD
Nice argument

What argument do you want? There's nothing to argue, you just keep saying literally the opposite and repeating what you already said.

Read again, it applies exactly to your last post than it did to the one I replied.

No PowerPC64 support?

is that true? I was about to download it

I just want you to admit that you're wrong.

>FreeBSD literary is made to support as many things as possible, desktops, servers, laptops.
>OpenBSD tries to be as open as possible, usually ending up with severe limitations when compared to FreeBSD.

This is true. Go ask both of their developers if you're so thickheaded.
Nothing you say or do will prove it wrong.

>This is true
I never said it wasn't.
>Nothing you say or do will prove it wrong.
I'm not trying to prove it wrong.

Glad you agree. Next time don't try to shut up the board and thread, kiddo.

>Next time don't try to shut up the board and thread
What the hell are you on about?

U is nexto I
Figure it out

I never tried to shit up the board.

>muh BSD
literally useless if you actually upgraded your computer since the 90's

Works on my machine.

>implying you're not using a shitbox

>implying I am

Lubuntu.

>self contained projects
>ports
lel

post screenfetch so I can have a good laugh then

new motherboard with modern cpu,ram,graphics

openbsd fags are worse than arch fags.

Nah

>2009 laptop
>not a shitbox
kek

It's an incredible laptop. The memory's corrupt now so I need to get a new laptop and I'm getting the exact same one because I love it.

so I'm giving OpenBSD a try, how do I rotate the console? In Linux it's simple as echo 1 > /sys/class/graphics/fbcon/rotate_all

>memory corrupt
>throw out the whole thing and get another second hand one

I don't really feel like swapping the motherboard and they're pretty cheap laptops.

netbsd was the only bsd that I got to work somewhat decently years ago when these machines were kinda new and there was at least some interest in supporting them. Now, and even back then, no joking this is the right choice. You need to compile most of your programs yourself anyway and the ppc[64] support on gentoo is superb

netbsd was never available for "these machines"

only tried it on G4

At least OpenBSD works unlike shitty Arch

Are you tarted?
Ports in its entirety is FreeBSD maintained. You fetch a whole copy, and then if you want something from the ports you make it.