I want to install a systemd free distro on my system. How do I go about it? Gentoo, CloverOS, Devuan or Void Linux?

I want to install a systemd free distro on my system. How do I go about it? Gentoo, CloverOS, Devuan or Void Linux?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/ying17zi/vim-live-latex-preview
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>How do I go about it?
okay this is really complicated so stay with me here.

>pick the one of those distros that you like the best
>install it like you normally would
>realize the systemd avoidance is just you doing whatever's a fad on Sup Forums

Well I'm asking advice on which one to choose. No, I actually used systemd and I want to try a distro without it

Manjaro Open RC

linux from scratch is your only choice

why does Sup Forums hate systemd ?

>Gentoo, CloverOS, Devuan or Void Linux
What is your problem?

I don't hate it, I want to try not having it

install debian (without gnome) and install sysvinit-core, which will switch the default init to sysvinit and sysv-rc which is still supported by debian developers
the criticisms of systemd have been spelled out hundreds of times. personally systemd has broken on me in inexplicable ways multiple times and i can no longer be arsed

Then install TrueOS......

He said Linux! The only right answer is Android-x86. Linux and BSD don't have any apps. Just use Android.

No. They said distro.

Why not just Devuan? Isn't it Debian without systemd?

If you need to ask, you'll never notice any difference.

devuan only just completed their release of jessie, the old stable version from 2015, a month ago. debian released the new stable, stretch, at the same time.

>Gentoo
Compiling times are really annoying if you are on an older system
>Devuan
>Void Linux
New distro, poor support and community
>CloverOS
It's really just gentoo.
Make your choice

Windows 7 comes 100% systemd free.

void is like arch, really, it is user friendly but selective about who its friends are

Use PCLinux OS

Why is systemd bad again?

No it's not

Alpine Linux is the only sane choice after gentoo

Manjaro Open RC until Devuan picks up steam.

What is yours? Op never said it could be not those.

Then try alpine with a hardened linux kernel
I run it on my laptop, works really well.

The only acceptable use of Alpine as a daily use OS is if your computing power is in a mainframe somewhere and your desktop is nothing but a bare terminal that connects to Alpine in a docker container on that mainframe.

You have your task. Do not fail me, Sup Forums.

No. Devuan is named after planets.
Devuan Jessie has nothing to do with Debian Jessie. In fact, Devuan Jessie has packages from Stretch and some from Buster even.
Devuan can also use Debian repos (you must be careful if the package you want depends on systemd if you don't want it, though.)

There's nothing you can't do in Alpine.
>Gentoo, CloverOS, Devuan or Void Linux
Out of those, I highly recommend Void. Glibc, not musl.
>Clover is really just Gentoo
Except with a nice Binhost so you don't waste your time compiling everything from source.

is CloverOS a real OS that you can use for things or is it just a work in progress/meme

So Clover or Void? What has Void going for it? Is it usable?

It's perfectly usable, has a nice enough package count. It's wonderfully fast and stable.

void is great but I wouldn't call it a beginner friendly distro

Well I'm not a beginner
>nice enough package count
Does it?

Install source mage

do what you want but the future of Linux uses systemd

What makes you say that?

>Muh ganoo slash unix psychology

>Gentoo or Void Linux
Which of these works on a laptop with suspend, sleep, screen off, power management, etc.?

Devuan

linux from scratch

Been using void on my x220 for a while, and so far I haven't had much trouble with packages. There are some niche things you'll need to build from source or find workarounds for, but I find the vast majority of what you need is in the void repos. I think it's worth it since the distro itself is lightning fast, and it won't break on you like arch.

Niche things like?

Zoom video conferencing, a realtime LaTeX compiling preview tool, slack, and biber come to mind. It didn't take long to get any of those working though - i've yet to find software that I'm unable to get running on void.

install source mage

I need that LaTeX tool, what did you get?

Both of them support all power management functions.

Here's the one I use github.com/ying17zi/vim-live-latex-preview
>not to be confused with vim-latex-live-preview

It's pretty comfy desu

Thank you user

Devuan ftw

Alpine is pretty good, but you'll have to create some of your own packages.

>gentoo
>cloverIS
>devuan
>void

There's also riced up Arch/Obarun, riced up Manjaro, PCLinuxOS and Slackware

I would only recommend Gentoo if you want to have an extremely minimal install or you want to customize everything.

riced up Arch and Devuan are both pretty good otherwise.

Does Clover OS have an easy install for a beginner?

>easy install
Go back to Ubuntu

Parabola GNU/Linux-libre

I would use parabola, but I want Nvidia drivers. Installing Nvidia drivers with Nvidia's installer sounds like a good way to get an unstable system.