Hi Sup Forums

Hi Sup Forums

I'm a programmer at a software company that is full of H1-B visa holders who write bad code, but manage to look productive because they write a lot of it and make frequent check-ins, etcetera. Basically they splatter something in there that works, and if they have to fix it several times, well, they look heroic for all the commits they make.

I recieved a bad performace review that basically said that I write very high-quality code, but not enough of it. They even referred to defect tracking and source control metrics as evidence. What are some sneaky things I can do during the next period before the review that improve my game (and it is a game at this point), but take advantage of the gap in quality (and have fun in the process)?

I was thinking of:

- Watching every commit they make, finding the problems myself, and then fixing them before they do.
- Making a truckload of individual commits for the tiny refactorings I would normally make while completing a feature, commenting on what was wrong with the code in the commit notes.
- Coming up with at least one thing to email the manager about every weekend to make it look like I'm thinking about this project all weekend.
- Asking for their tickets during stand-up meetings.
- Sending an email status report every day.

P.S. Visa holders in general have a perverse incentive to write code that's such a mess that only they can maintain it, so the company will work to keep them in the U.S.

Making a lot of commit, and over-commenting is easy and it looks like you wrote a lot of code.
Also find every flaw in their code organization and do refactoring after them systematically, blaming them for poorly designed code.

OP here: Also software office politics general.

Just find another job, they're never going to give you a good performance review because it's in their best interest not to raise your pay or give you promotions.
You're a lowly codemonkey scrub.
The only thing lower than you at the company is the janitor.

not technology

I actually don't want a "good" performance review so much as a "not bad" performance review.

It doesn't matter what you do, they're not going to be happy and pointing out glaring architectural errors will only result in more work for you, since you're be in charge of undoing all that shit code.

tough call OP, whatever you do it seems the wrong choice.

I would personally imitate the H1-B visa holders and do whatever they do.

Also, next time vote for conservative politicians who don't outsource your job opportunities

Conservatives fuck you over just as well. Trump is a little bit of an exception because he's a pseudo-nationalist and has to at least act like one sometimes.

There's an ulterior motive here: I don't want a satisfying career there - all I want is enough money to keep going through grad school so I can get a satisfying career later.

>my job shouldn't exist but i underperform to have somthing to eat.
The post

Just do what the curryniggers do. Write good code then fuck it up before pushing it. Replace it with better code later so you can push your metrics up. I willing to bet you could even automate this to a degree by making something akin to a light code mangler/demangler.

If your company's leadership doesn't know about how code monkeys inflate their stats to look good then you should look for another job. It took me minimal first time experience to notice how the statistics get cooked. I've seen countless cases where great and complicated code was written in just a few commits and locs while others churned out piles of shitty code. I'm amazed anyone still cares about how many commits/locs you have. Good engineering is about minimalism not bloat. Short and efficient code.

>- Making a truckload of individual commits for the tiny refactorings I would normally make while completing a feature, commenting on what was wrong with the code in the commit notes.
>- Coming up with at least one thing to email the manager about every weekend to make it look like I'm thinking about this project all weekend.
These OP. Don't throw them under the bus politically. It will backfire because nobody wants to work with someone like that.

Gaming VCSs is pretty easy.

Subtly move code around. This gives you a lot of lines changed, and makes you appear on the git blame.

>make 5 refactoring commits in 10 minutes
>reward myself with half an hour of youtube and imageboards

who here /time theft/

or he could change his code style lol in editor.. if he writes javascritp. just use eslint and change eslitnconfig file and you have milions of changed lines just by clicking save

I personally will edit the GIT_AUTHOR_DATE and GIT_COMMITTER_DATE to point at some time in the past to sneak in commits and pad days where I was slacking off

If it's like the place I work, the managers are Indian themselves and they're all in on the game. I'm working here one more year to cash out my stock and then I'm going freelance

OP here - I do have Indian management. Not middle management, but top management.

Actually I should mention:

- My manager is Chinese, the developer to which I'm compared is a Chinese woman.
- And that developer is my manager's manager's wife or girlfriend (I don't ask).

I'm pretty fucked.

find a job at a different company.

Fuck this fucking company. I don't even work there and I'm pissed. Leave. They don't deserve you.

>- Making a truckload of individual commits for the tiny refactorings
do this, management probably relies on metrics to juge you, and those would probably be loc and number of comits

It's a shitty metric through and through. Programming is not a factory job, if you lay down and let them turn you into a fucking drone then you're part of the problem

Bro, any job that prefers quantity over quality and threatens your stability with constant performance review comparing you to other employees is a worthless fuckhole.

Listen to other people here and let the shitbirds keep jobs like that. Do yourself a favor and find something else.

This guy knows what's up.

This desu