How often do you reformat?

How often do you reformat?

Other urls found in this thread:

makeuseof.com/tag/windows-bug-may-accumulated-junk-files-pc/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Depends on the system. My daily driver? Every 2 years or so if I feel like it simply because I loss track of all the junk on it. It's good to do it in machines you use often, never know if someone fucked with your IPTABLES. On servers and stable machines, you probably want an OS where you don't have to worry about such things.

On linux, I can just dd, cpio, tar my home directory and reinstall in an hour. Windows is a fucking pain to reinstall though.

once a month to dodge activation

sometimes if I fuck up my PC in the middle of the month, I just restore from my ghost image. takes about 2 minutes. but I do have to make a new image each month, again cuz I don't wanna activate.

I use a rolling release so never

How do I cpio?
What does this do that tar don't.

>cpio
It used to be quite popular, it's a lot like tar but lightweight and more dependent on pipes. It's somewhat more obtuse to use than tar, although you won't need to worry about remembering tar's flags.

cpio is bytestream and so you can compress it with .xz just like you would a dd image or a tarchive. It was suggested to me by an Indian actually... he didn't know about 'top' though.

Use Microsoft Toolkit to activate Windows 8 and later. Windows Loader by Daz for Windows 7.

Once every month to ensure maximum performance

is this a meme or would this be an effect on windows?

Ever noticed why Windows gets slower and slower with this? This is due to accumulated wear that can only be fixed by resetting every sector on your disk (i.e. formatting). Linux doesn't have the same problem since it's a server OS and meant to be running for years.

would this effect vidya

If your games are actually laggy, yes. It won't make the grass greener, though.

Linux? Not since I got my SSDs
Windows? Usually yearly, but not since I got my SSDs
(Got them last July)

I use XP actually

I could never reformat vista or up every month because the reinstall process would be way too time consuming (just thinking of the updates alone makes me shiver)

Do you mean fragmentation? Just install Defraggler.

Win 7?
You can turn off all the annoyance features...
Till all that happens is a small pop up when you open M$ pain and shit.
Yes even keep a wall paper up. Don't you ever google?

one instance of it
makeuseof.com/tag/windows-bug-may-accumulated-junk-files-pc/

also, lots of clutter in temp files and folders and such. disk cleanup helps, but nothing like a format.

Way too often, because I'm a faggot who cannot find a reasonable balance productivity and comfort in any OS so I keep switching around

Every third month after I've repasted the heat sink

>2017
>Using an OS that doesn't defrag in the background.
Really?

>"REFORMAT"

It's just formatting. You don't "reformat" your hard drive. You format it.

What if I do it again?

It's been more than 4 years now since i last formatted.

Windows fanboy here. I don't usually reinstall unless I change hardware or around 2-3 years. I fucking hate reinstalling software, drivers, and configuring setting. Never really noticed my system slow down with age.

You'd be formatting your disk again.

got em

literally the definition of reformatting

If I charge my phone battery, then it drains, then I charge it again, I'm recharging it.

>windows is a pain to reinstall
Click refresh PC and its done in 10 mins
You can even keep your data intact, this isn't the win98 days anymore.

2-5 months. When I feel like there is a lot of crap and I messed up a lot of the internal workings of the os.

never. why would i do that?

thats assuming you run botnet 10 though

Only when I reinstall, and only the system partition. I recently changed my phone's data partition to f2fs though.

Never because I'm not an idiot who fucks up my computer every so often.

What do you mean by reformat?

This, 4 years since my last install because got new memepad.

back in 98 until xp, like once every couple months

then after vista pretty much never