Corrective lenses are technology

Corrective lenses are technology.

Do you need them, and do you think staring at screens so much was what hurt your eyesight?

Statistically speaking, there are more youngbloods with nearsightedness then there has been in the past.

I think it makes eyes get bad faster.. I know many people who stare at screens as much as I do and have perfect vision. Some people will need glasses some never will, screens just speed up the process.

This is such a shit thread.

I'd love to say "back to Plebbit" but I know this is exactly where this off-topic shit that has become a staple of this board belongs.

I really hate Sup Forums's janitors.

I remember reading that eyesight can go bad because your eyes don't get enough sunlight, which is what happens when you're indoors in front of a screen all day

I get all my shit from Zenni. this here are my current old glasses, most are old prescription. I had about 8 other frames that I've given away.

If your frames aren't aluminum/titanium magnesium alloy, you're wrong

go browse other boards, you guys. desperately clinging to one board and demanding that we all take an interest in your fashion choices debating between frames and contacts or whatever is a whole level of unhealthy on top of being on Sup Forums.

If you need glasses to see properly, you were born with inferior genes and should castrate yourself to insure you won't pass them down to future generations.

I've had a pretty strong prescription since the third grade, kept getting worse until very recently. I mostly wear glasses but I also have a supply of disposable (2 week) contacts that I wear sometimes, especially in the summer I like to be able to wear normal sunglasses some days. Can't remember what my exact rx is at this point but i'm nearsighted to the point of being legally blind without lenses.

Yes and yes

When I was a kid, I would close my eyes and press my hands against them super hard to see the pretty patterns.
I'm pretty sure that's what turned my 20/20 vision (measured when I was 4 or 5 or so, I remember it so clearly because my mom made a big deal about it) to me needing to wear glasses to see anything more than 10 feet away clearly.

How would that hurt your vision?

You are so right, said from a guy with the shit plastic ones right now

When I told my optometrist I stare at a computer screen ~15 hours/day he told me I should get blue light blocking glasses

This is plausible because seeing the sun dilates the pupils greatly. Kind of like a pupil workout. There are eye doctors now that advocate not wearing sunglasses. You don't want to stare at the sun but if it crosses your vision occasionally it seems to help your vision.

It's kind of not, and it's not like there are several of them now or a few a day. Speaking of staring at screens too much, it sounds like you could use some time away from the computer yourself.

If you didn't just go through a sight correction surgery, you're wrong

I will right after all inferior races.

Back to pol drumpftard

I've been reading/staring at a screen my whole life and I have better than 20/20 vision. My dad's started to go around mid 40's though so I guess mine might too eventually.

People have been using corrective eyesight since BC. Most animals have shitty eyesight.

I have astigmatism in both eyes with a fairly strong script. When I was young I was forced to have bifocals. In my early teens I ditched the bifocals and my eyes eventually got used to focusing on close objects. I do a lot of surface mount electronics work and most of the time I don't even use a magnifying glass. Been using the same script since 2003 and have perfect vision with my glasses on.

Glasses are a scam. Yes, they do correct your vision, but they also make your eyes dependent. You will have to get stronger prescriptions on a yearly basis until your eyes finally bottom out and you are unable to see w/o them.

I got Lazer surgery for my far sightedness, and wear contacts for my near sightedness, then use glasses for my stigmatism.

My vision is infinity/infinity

First, there is no evidence whatsoever that this is the case. It's a common assumption people make because they get their first pair of glasses at roughly the time their eyesight starts going downhill. So they blame it on the glasses even though it would have gotten worse anyway.

Second, even if it were true, what is the alternative? Deal with crappy vision your whole life? Use homeopathic potions and prayer? "Eye exercises"?

Agreed, got aluminum rn.

there is nothing wrong with eye exercises
my mom's eyesight went from "legally not allowed to drive without glasses" to almost perfect

>tfw you have shitty Walmart frames

Your mother did not go from having

I didn't mean 20/20 by "almost perfect", I meant she is able to go through all her daily tasks without needed glasses or contacts and she can see well enough to read small text on her text and read road signs far away. Just "normal" "average" vision.

She was told she couldn't drive about 20 years ago, and she stopped wearing glasses regularly about 6 years ago, gradually decreasing until about 3 years ago. She never wears them anymore. She keeps them in the car for emergencies (she still has difficulty at night or when it is raining very hard).

I've seen the improvement though, so nobody could tell me that it didn't happen. She was almost blind before and now she notices hairs that have fallen onto my shirt from a pretty large distance.

Eyes can shift more towards farsightedness over time (not talking about presbyopia), and if she was nearsighted to start with this would work in her favour (nearsighted+farsighted shift = normal-ish).

So I believe you that her vision improved, but I think it would have done so whether she wore glasses or not and I certainly don't believe exercises had anything to do with it.

She stands by the exercises thing. I don't personally know. Correlation vs causation and all.
It would seem logical to me but I've never really studied it. I don't think there's any real "evidence" that eye exercises over long periods of time don't/can't improve eyesight though.

Just throwing my anecdotal evidence in. I don't know the mechanisms for any of this.

I was having trouble sleeping at night before and heard that blue light tends to keep you awake. So I started using flux and a warmer light bulb in my room. I haven't had any trouble sleeping since. Supposedly, there are glasses and even monitors with blue light filters but I'm not sure how effective they are.

Fun fact. I've had the same prescription for 20+ years.