Stupid Questions Thread

Stupid Questions Thread
/sqt/

Other urls found in this thread:

webdav.mydomain.com/Me.kdbx.
mydomain.com'
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I'm using SoftEther VPN to play Dragons Dogma Online, whenever I login to the game I must be connected to a Japanese server, every time I connect windows pops up telling me about a new network connection and if I want to share files. In the long run is there any down side to having loads of different network connections in Windows?

What are some data recovery tools for USBs and SD/MicroSD cards?
I dont have need for it right now, just wondering what exists for it.

Im talking about FUBAR tier MicroSD and USBs where they only will be detected but only that and you wont be able to see whats on it.

>tfw installed gentoo but X always starts with a black screen no matter what I do
>can't even ctrl z/x/c or whatever
>can't even switch terminals
>no idea if it's getting errors, not sure how to log it anyway
What do I do?

I put TWRP on a tab s2 and it couldn't mount anything
I tried to wipe it a few times through twrp, didn't help
then I tried a factory reset from android, which I now realise was stupid
so now whenever I boot I get a broken twrp

how bad did I fuck up?
any advice for going forward?

i just got an apartment, first time on my own

need to buy a router/modem

is there a recommended list on Sup Forums somewhere?

Sorry, didn't mean cout.
Meant returning them in that format. So I want to return a vector with three floats, but I can't do something like:
return return "(" + x + "," + y + "," + z + ")";
What would be the best way to return a vector? Making a vector calculator.

struct Vector3D
{
double x, y, z;
}

>You using login manager?
>Installed a wm? Is xinitrc set correctly?
>Are permissions right?
check xorg.log

So you wouldn't make it a class? You'd make it a struct?
What are the key differences between the two?

what version of awesome can be found on devuan stable ?

Why can't I seem to get fstab/mount to mount a CIFS share by DNS name but I can by IP? And yes I can nslookup the DNS just fine. And no my distribution doesnt offer samba, only cifs-utils.

Fundamentally they are the same. The only difference as far as the language is concerned is that everything in a struct is considered public by default, and everything in a class is considered private by default.
In common usage a struct is usually nothing more than a bundle of data, while a class will implement a user-defined constructor, some member functions, some form of encapsulation etc.

how important/used is operator overloading in c++?

it's usually not a strict necessity but it is helpful to do so

>my distro doesn't offer
that's no excuse bruh, it's linux just download the source and compile it yourself. that's the last resort, nine times out of ten even if it's not official there's a version packaged in a format compatible with your package manager

You should definitely do it if the class you are implementing is an arithmetic class (a vector, a complex number, an arbitrary-precision number etc.).
If you plan on printing the class, you should also provide an operator

>that's no excuse bruh, it's linux just download the source and compile it yourself
and the 50 fucking dependencies it likely has. all i want to do is mount a fucking cifs share by name, not spend the next month figuring out why things wont build.

>your package manager
tdnf - a ghetto stripped down version of yum

it is so shitty it wont even allow me to download the libpcap from my repo

I get the following error while trying to load a webdav kdbx on Keeweb web version:

XMLHttpRequest cannot load webdav.mydomain.com/Me.kdbx. Response to preflight request doesn't pass access control check: No 'Access-Control-Allow-Origin' header is present on the requested resource. Origin 'mydomain.com' is therefore not allowed access. The response had HTTP status code 401.

I already tried editing some files through results found on google but nothing resolved my error. Am running nginx/1.11.10

odin?

>DNS name
did you try NetBIOS name?

sounds like you aren't applying the ACAO headers to the OPTIONS method?

>did you try NetBIOS name?
They're on different subnets and NetBIOS names are discovered via broadcasts so this wouldnt work.

Newfig here.
I'm building a new PC and was wondering if I could just take my old HDD and put it into my new PC. Would I still have to install Windows via a bootable USB or would it just work via my old HDD? Is it better to just wipe my old HDD clean and put it in as if it were a new one?

Just installed debian 9 and i get to the login screen but i can't type my password, it stays blank even when i've typed something in
Is there a way to get around the login or did i fuck it

I have a 11 year old 50 inch samsung 1080i plasma that i i no longer need as i updated.
What price should i list it on craigslist.

You have to reinstall.
You could reuse it but trust me, you want a new install and avoid dealing with all the shit you have to do.
Also if you want you can keep your old files.

no he doesnt

You need to run c:\windows\system32\sysprep\sysprep.exe with the generalize and shutdown option before you move it

The windows install has already generated a hast of his old hardware for the activation key.Windows will throw a shit fit if he puts it in.

>i dont know what sysprep does
l2google

>Windows will throw a shit fit if he puts it in.
it wont, it will just want him to reactivate

What's a good Text-To-Speech program/site?

Anyone using searx.me having alot of "google has timed out" errors lately? Its taking upwards of 1 minute to finish a search.I only have google as an engine on it

What game is this?

Can I remove the screen from my old broken laptop to use as an external monitor on my desktop?

Pretty sure I've seen people in /bst/ with this setup but googling doesn't provide any generic guides and I wouldn't even know where to start.

>HD dies out of nowhere
>Reinstall Windows from the CD on new drive
>No papers in the CD case
>Eventually find the instruction manual and the box with the price tag on it
>Sticker had been put on a case that's long gone now
>The activation menu doesn't bring up the phone thing mentioned on the help page
I'm still looking, but if I can't find it do I have any other options besides "buy a new OS", "pirate a new OS" and "install gentoo"? I can't fully switch to linux yet.

mydigistalocean
dazloader
check this thread i think a pastebin for INSTALL WINDOWS has been posted,

Do they make an all-in-one ide/sata/card reader hub that's usb3? I keep looking for one but they are all usb2 and chink shit.

Do anyone can recommend me some movie public tracker?

>I wouldn't even know where to start.
take the laptop apart (google [model number] disassembly)
figure out how the screen fits on to the mobo, or what that connection / name of that port is (maybe google [laptop name] motherboard schematic, or diagram, don't know what word I'm looking for, to be honest most laptop screens probably use the same type of port, there's probably easier ways to find out, you'll get it)
after all that google [whatever that port name is] to vga connector or something like that

have fun

How do I determine the graphical capabilities of a laptop, does it just depend of CPU?

What's the shittiest laptop I can play Total War: Warhammer on? This A4 3305M isn't cutting it.

Bump

Hi all. My speaker has two RCA inputs (pic related). When both inputs have a device connected, and both devices are playing audio, both devices can be heard.
Can this damage the speaker and/or the playback devices?

Yes, but you'll need an "LCD controller board"

Could, but doubt it would.

What's a decent cheap router/AP/ADSL modem combo unit that has support for one of the open source replacement firmwares such as DDR-WRT, Tomato, etc?

What do I use instead of MPC + CCP? Or are they still the go to ?

how can I view pics on a private instagram?

mpv

What dashcam should I get for my car?

What's the best way to teach myself programming? Been using Codeacadamy off and on so far.

what's a stack

sry for dumbo question :(

any codecs?

If I load an INI configuration file that has [Sections] and Keys= in it, what is the proper load behavior if there's two keys with the same name in different sections?

i.e.

[Section A]
Foo="asdf"
Bar=4

[Section B]
Foo=10.0

What do?

Any good email service? Planning on separating certain stuff from my personal email.

Gmail!

So apparently Lua doesn't natively support 128 bit numbers. I still want to work with them, doing logical and arithmetic operations on them. How do I best go about doing this?

searx.me uses yahoo though

why should i learn c# what can i do with it thats fun?

If you tell it too...

will linux run faster/better as a OS installed on my SSD then it does installed on a virtual machine

it'll run best on it's own gpu

How come mass produced food never tastes the same as stuff made by a skilled chef? Surely it shouldn't be impossible to reproduce the process the chef uses by the machines and mass produce chef quality food? But nobody does it... Is it just too expensive or...?

Time is no friend of perishables. A chef in a kitchen is closer to the consumer than a robot in a factory.

running off the GPU and not a SSD? Will duel boot ubuntu work better then ubuntu in VM

Can you install a SDD in addition to a HDD in a Dell Optiplex 7010 Desktop? I've looked and there does seem to be extra SATA slot and room underneath the HDD caddy for one, but I've read you can only have two 2.5'' drives at once.

In that form factor no, it would have to be a 2.5" HDD.

If you wanted to go ghetto you could just remove the DVD drive and attach the SSD via velcro in that area, then use the normal HDD tray for a 3.5".

How do I make an encrypted backup folder of my USB to upload to the cloud?

m.i.t. opencourseware

what's the best HDD brand/series nowadays?

Is there a way to alter the bandwidth of a device connected in my wifi network? I'm fucking tired of my roomate hoarding bandwidth half the day watching Game of Thrones.

gpg

QoS

also mass produced food cuts corners and substitutes ingredients to maximize profit

forgot to mention, we have a simple modem without QoS settings (as far as I know I need a special router for that which my ISP does not want to provide

Then no.
You could stop being passive agressive about it and tell him to stop fucking hoarding the bandwidth

so invest in a decent router, also what kind of shitty internet do you have that streaming video on one puter effects your speed noticeably

>In that form factor no, it would have to be a 2.5" HDD.

So it can't have a 3.5'' HDD (which is what it comes with, iirc) and a 2.5'' SSD?

I've tried

I regularly cut him out of the network as well but was looking for an alternative solution so he stops bitching about it

For whatever reasons, Netflix literally seizes the entire bandwidth no matter the video quality

meant to reply to

LOL, it's supposed to not echo your pass.

>Netflix literally seizes the entire bandwidth
This is so annoying. I don't know why there's no player setting for max d/l usage

Try fully logging in normally, rather than just typing.

Should a professional linux administrator know cisco at all?

administrator implies managing more than one machine, so yes a good working knowledge of networking related stuff would be advisable

Notepad++ seriously has to be run in Administrator mode in order for changes to styles/themes to be saved?

What the fuck kind of hacky bullshit is that?

Yeah I know networking stuff. I'm just not sure whether to get into cisco specifics and all that. Seems like it should be done by a network administrator. I'd rather spend time programming and working with software.

As a first pass, I'd probably build a library based on LuaBitOp that treats numbers in tables as groups of 32 bits starting with the least significant. If I needed real performance I'd build one in C that abuses strings for storage or something like that.

which VPN should I buy?
Ideally one with a lifetime subscription cause monthly payments suck

How would i do that? when i start it up it goes to a simple screen like this and says the login is incorrect even when i've typed it in right
i'm completely new to this os no bully

You should atleast get your CCNET.It will open thing sup for you and even in the least you know what you're doing should you need to fill that role

Is caps lock on?

nope, should i just reinstall it and try again?

You should really just remember your passwords

>You should atleast get your CCNET
Yeah was thinking of doing it and not ccna. I already have the books.

i wrote it down and reset it in the command thing but it wouldn't accept it

how do I use usb tethering from android to pc? when I touch it doesn't check it, but it's not grayed out

What's the cheapest (in initial and operating costs) way to get a file server?

The root account is often locked by default. Why aren't you logging in as the user you were encouraged to create during installation?

Serving how much of what, to whom, from where?

I am trying to log in as the account i created, the image i used was off a site

>Serving how much of what

Mostly for backups of a few computers, maybe also for repository a media center I want to make.

>to whom

My houshold.

>from where?

Somewhere in my house.

How do I share files locally through wi-fi?

ftp

Passwords in bash don't show anything (like stars, etc). It's a security feature. Just type your password and log in.

Also don't log in as root for this faget

>should I just reinstall it
>Debian 7
tbqhfam you should consider installing something else if at all possible. If it were a more recent version of Debian I would advise you to add init=/bin/sh on the kernel command line, remount / as read-write, and try changing your password again until it works. Wheezy is pretty dated, tho.

If performance is a low priority, consider an ARM dev board of some sort and a large external disk or three connected via a USB-SATA bridge. Burn Armbian on a microSD card, attach Ethernet, install Samba on the running system. $25-40 will get you into a decent dev board and enclosure depending on import duties and shipping. Add whatever for the disk(s) + whatever for the disk enclosure(s) (if any). Power costs should be on the order of a couple of burgerbux a month.