Systems programmers literally on suicide watch

Systems programmers literally on suicide watch.

Is programming a stressful career Sup Forums? Are people easier jobs (that also pay less) happier?

It's the type of personality that's attracted to computing jobs, not the jobs themselves that are the problem.

>we care about you
>dont use the internet, ask your friends, cheat or do anything else that might practically tackle the root cause tho
God I love mental health "awareness".

>Is programming a stressful career
If you naturally think like a programmer and perform well then there is no problem. It's stressful for people who don't have the right kind of brain for it and have to try ten times harder to compensate.

These types of bulletins are usually targeted specifically toward Asian students since they are socially inept and don't know how to put limits on themselves thus contributing to their mental illnesses. If you're laid back, don't worry about it.

>cheating
>practical
Kys is more practical. School is EZmode. Can't imagine what a suicidal retard would do when forced to do actual work that doesn't spoon feed the solution to you

>Is programming a stressful career Sup Forums?
There is often no reason to put in more than 3 to 6 hours of work each day. Just git gud and do other shit like browsing Sup Forums. And never work overtime unless properly compensated. Never sacrifice yourself for the job

It doesn't matter what you personally think about it. If you're a person who's in that situation, it's a practical solution.

>school is EZmode

your school must have been a joke

>And never work overtime unless properly compensated
My job pays twice as much if you work overtime. So if regular pay was $25/hr, you'd be getting $50/hr for every hour over 40. That's an extra $1k for staying 20 hours over per week

I've come to the realization I enjoy not working more than earning a lot more money. I have better shit to do than be stuck at work. That's why I "work" from home one day a week.

I make around $125/hr before taxes. Programming is stressful, but if you're competent you will handle it. You don't get money for free, it's a lot of work and coding is the smallest part of it. Communication is the thing you're going to be doing the most, writing documents, meeting with other teams, making sure everyone is on the same page.

Damn not bad, what's your background?

I was programmer professionally and then I quit my job and now I want to kill myself so I can confirm that this graphic is accurate.

It depends on what you're working and your skill level. Always be ready to blame someone else for that bug that fucked everything up.

>writing documents, meeting with other teams, making sure everyone is on the same page.
so like literally every job on the fucking planet?

>mcdonalds
>audit food
>meet with other employees
>make sure everyone knows what the hell they're doing

>Is programming a stressful career Sup Forums?

Not when you do scrum.

career advice is not technology discussion

Stress has little to do with the number of hours you work.

Working long hours will make you tired.
But when nobody is nagging and you don't have deadlines or other stuff to worry about it's not stressful.

Can't finish on time? - just carry it over to the next sprint.
Can't do it at all? - let someone else try or move that crap to "won't fix" and pick something else to work on.

>get off my board wagecucks REEEEEEEEEEEE

Just curious, what is your actual yearly income? I'm at 100k salary now which is nice (except when you get hit wit dem taxes) but I imagine you don't put in 40/hrs a week. I mean, neither do I, realistically, probably 15-20 of actual programming-hours but I have to at least pretend to be working for 40hrs a week. And I don't mind it because my job is pretty chill to be honest.

>study
>display primitive awareness and problem solving ability
any class that needs more than this is either not worth taking or poorly organized

Yes, it's simple, but not easy. I don't know how you don't find it stressful to have 3 major projects due in a few weeks and your team is full of lazy slackers. Lucky you.

Every job has its stressors and diffculties.

I'm studying to be a teacher, all round its a stressful job from working with children, looking out for students so hey don't fall with parents and working with parents who can get real aggressive.

They'll probably feel that way after they have to carry 99% of the girls that take the class and then they get no play for it.

Not for me but I'm not retarded.
A lot of the idiots in my classes seem to run around with their hair on fire all the time.
It baffles me as to how some people are totally unable to grasp abstract concepts. I know it's not something everyone can do but I can't imagine not being able to do it.

Working as a programmer has been much less stressful than college for me.

For one, you usually have one manager who understands that if your load on one project is high, that you can't work on another (or, more often, you only have one project); this is not true in college where one professor doesn't care that you have projects for three other classes.

Also, you're not as tempted to procrastinate because you have to show up for 8 hours a day anyways so you might as well get the work done.

Also, you have many people working on different parts of the project as a team - you're not trying to do the same thing has 50-100 people at the same time who are all competing with each other. If something you're working on fucks up unexpectedly and you have to concentrate on fixing it, the others pick up the slack, and you can ask for help or even give it to someone more experienced and actually learn from it rather than being judged.

I've been afraid of getting laid off, but if you put in a steady effort, keep off of the Internet, and try to be strong at things where others are weak they'll see you as reliable and necessary.

samefag here:

It also became way less stressful working in software when I realized that stress doesn't help you program. Clenching your muscles and gritting your teeth and breathing hard and thinking that the worst will happen won't help you get the project done, so you give yourself permission not to do all those things.

if you're working with a team full of retards, yes, a lot

By doing the work in a timely manner? Most school projects take a few days at the most for the given level. The reason it should take longer is if you slack off and don't study and then you try to learn and implement everything at the last moment