ITT: Technology that works so well you are barely aware of it

ITT: Technology that works so well you are barely aware of it

The mind controlling nanomachines in the air we breathe

Full-disk encryption

Cooking

>Allows humanity to outsource our digestion from our guts, allowing us to have weaker guts.
>More energy to devote to making and using brains.

It just works.

What are you talking about, I can't find any information about this on Goygle

Who are the patriots?

28-3 upset

TCP

Haha, you make me laugh child, now watch this

Damn. It's so beautiful. I don't even need one but I want one.

I'm agree on this.

I think I will add traffic lights (if they count). They're synced and shit with other streets and (at least me) we're never aware of it.

Motherboards are the ones you need to look out for, especially gigabyte and asrock.
>t. Personal experience with gigabyte motherboard right now, my onboard network controller is soightly borked, its only giving me speeds of 3mbps

It wouldn't be life as we know it if it wasn't for this little nig.

>visit mum
>she tells me she upgraded her internet
>2~MB/s down, not bad for bumfuck leafistan
>upload a .png somewhere
>upload is capped to 50KB/s during daytime
>TCP absolutely shits itself during the upload and drops ACK packets like mad, outright killing download

Was ist ein Dingsbums?

La li lu lai lou lee?

Traffic sometimes sucks ass because of these, but overall, keeping light rotations consistent on a large scale - a daily basis - is impressive to me.

In my case there is some weird USB issue. Peripherals lag randomly, and my external HD got corruped. Thought about updating the firmware but the download is broken. (AB350M D3H)

Never fails me
What do you mean the download is broken?

Damn, I need to check this on my AB350M Gaming 3. I was ripping a bluray to my NAS today and it was only going at 2.8Mbps. I just chaulked it up to the $10 used slim drive I bought on eBay being shit.

I was planning on getting an r5 1600 soon, and I normally get gigabyte mobos since I've had thr best luck in longevity with them; would it be a good idea to get another brand currently?

Probably, maybe its just luck-o-the-draw. Realtek has always been shit on for being poor quality, so maybe its my fault, but is having actual issue

The download fails from the gigabye page
I have heard of issues with other brands as well, it seems it just takes time for the manufacturers to learn the quirks of the new architecture.

But nvm, this is a thread about shit that works, not the other way.

intel btfo............................. am i doing it right. are the jew who run the blue team running for the hills in fear? it's all falling apart for them with their 100 megabits network connections. can i joins you guyses hate club. i think the tabs on PCIe cards are just there for no reason and shop at chinkegg.

benis

Whatever hardware is simulating our universe. It works so well, most people don't even realize we're not real.

spooky

I just tested my NAS with "LAN Speed Test". 30Mbps write, so I guess it is just a shitty optical drive. The NAS is 1TB 5400rpm laptop drive in a USB3.0 enclosure and I'm using power line adapters that currently do around 100-150Mbps. Windows shows the network connection as being 100Mbps.

I haven't had any other issues with the mobo other than it not wanting to do 3200MHz with Hynix based RAM.

Bro. You're being capped by a 100Mbps switch somewhere in the line. Make sure you're running gigabit through to your NAS and your computer.

HHHNNNGGGGG

>tfw you're the only real human

SIM cards
I don't know how those fucking chips work but they sure do fucking something

Breaker boxes

Optical drives (not the discs, that varies too much)

Anal probes

Ultrasonic imaging

X-rays and X-ray imaging

The broadcast system SECAM for what it's worth

CRTs, fuckin holy shit

/thread
fuckers last a lifetime too.

I know I'm being capped. I have "1000Mbps" powerline adapters but they only run at 100-150Mbps. They're probably on different phases at the breaker; I haven't checked. I don't even need 100Mbps though. My internet is only 20/2 and my NAS drive can't do anything close to 100Mbps.

>powerline adapters

them shits never work. run ethernet like a real man.

They work perfectly fine for me under the circumstances. The reduced speed is a well known problem when running each adapter on a different AC phase.

I'm just saying, sure, you have a slow-ish connection that you're okay with NOW. But five years from now you're going to need something faster, and your infrastructure is going to be fucked up. Do things right the first time, faget.

nice 1 m8

La-li-lu-le-lo, scrub

you have to stop lying on the internet it hurts people

I cannot for the life of me wrap my head around the speed at which we transfer data in this day and age.

I mean sure, the speed of light is fucking fast, but could you imagine travelling at that speed around the globe?

And then there's the data centres, and the relays that all that data has to go through. Within hundredths of a second, an inconceivable amount of data passes through them, and it happens literally within fractions of a blink of an eye.

It just fucks with me so much. I dunno, maybe I'm just a brainlet, but the shear scale of data whizzing around our heads boggles my mind.

>it's almost as if you're dreaming, and the mechanism by which data is transferred is merely an abstraction to explain why we have access to all this

They are just forces we are using, forces we do not even properly understand. We are like children, no, cavemen, using fire but not understand from whence it came and what wrought it.

mine fucking suck and drop out all the time but getting 4x the speed compared to wifi is too good to give up

they used to. Why do you think Rockwell is destroying all all the PLC-5. Remove all the old tech and get in on that planned obsolescence cash.

WiFi is a pretty insane thing when you think about it

Like you don't even do anything your just kind of get internet to your wireless device at really fast speeds

Like how does that shit even work what the fuck is going on

Also how does audio even travel down some tiny ass wire and recreate audio (almost?)instantly just by plugging it into a hole like ???? It's just a wire

>tfw i fried my laptops ethernet port when i tried to stupidly connect it to a VFD
>tfw the ethernet card is still recognized
>the port is busted

Is there redemption?

>Radars
>Power lines (Western world)
>Phone reception towers
>Surgical equipment
>Lights
>Radios
>Electric clocks
Can't think of many more

Fucking magnets how do they work

This? WTF is this?

disposable diapers

0/10

IT JUST WERKS.

it's amazing how well the bicycle will balance itself when you have training wheels on it

agreed. just bought a nice long 20m ethernet cable after using wifi adapter in my desktop for years. you don't realise how dodgy and error prone wifi connections are until you just give up and switch to wired. no issues now, flawless connection and speed/consistency, no lag in games, etc.

fuck wifi.

how come nobody mentioned indoor plumbing/toilets? or natural gas being piped to their house

>billions of dollars of equipment
>an uncountable number of local servers all over the globe to function as a CDN
>billions of dollars worth of bandwidth
>tens of thousands of people at work
>literal geniuses laboring over problems i'm not even aware of
>just so that i can search "interracial bbc gang bang but with the white girl who kinda looks mexican" and actually get the video i'm looking for
>all for (((free)))

Sup Forums is all Pajeets.

Could soylent trigger the next step in the evolution of white men?

>Soylent
why are people so fucking stupid

I'd be fine with this if it were totally tasteless, cheaper, and gives at least half my daily recommended value of vitamins and minerals.

>crazy tranny falls for fads
>news at 11
only morons eat that shit.

>gives at least half my daily recommended value of vitamins and minerals.
the point is that you have some number of servings and that's enough for your daily needs. unless you're saying they omit something?

>Narcissa
Even in an age where parents give their kids dumb names, why do trans people always seem to pick the worst ones for themselves

To be fair it would be awesome if somebody came up with a legitimate solution to daily dietary intake that was more optimal than real food without costing an arm and a leg. I don't hate cooking or anything but shopping, dishes and the time investment in all of the processes involved in food consumption do have some hefty fucking gravitas in life, plus shitting is the worst thing ever.

the diy soylent site has a lot of options that are better than the official both in taste and nutritional content, and cheaper too

still shit tho, but it come out smooth and fast

rip cosmo

Food is so easy to do correctly if you can put in a little time and a little willpower
Soylent is so lazy it hurts

i don't care for soylent but some of the criticism of it is at best nebulous and at worst stupid.

>more optimal than real food
what is optimal? define your criteria. if you're going to be vague just say "better than real food" so idiots won't read your post and mistake you for someone making a point.

>without costing an arm and a leg
soylent is pretty middle of the pack. a day's supply (2000 calories) of soylent comes out to ~$8. that's okay. it's not a great value, but it's not a shit value. most people in the US spend more than that on food per day and could pare down their food budget if they wanted to, and this is a braindead way to accomplish that without resorting to ramen for every meal and becoming deficient in something.

the main problem with soylent is that it's a food for people who hate the entire social dimension of food (and perhaps all aspects of food). going for soylent means no more grocery shopping, no more substantive variety of meals, basically flattened social interactions with others (no more "breaking bread" with people), etc...

if you hate food, then fine. but i've only found soylent to be a good way to make sure i'm subsisting when i'm too depressed to cook, clean dishes, go outside, or order delivery. it's quintessentially food for people who experience no joy in food. which itself is probably a bigger red flag, honestly.

You must agree with this ma dudes

>Soylent
>only morons eat that shit.
XD
I lel'd

Spotted the moron in denial

How the fuck does this hardware simulate genuine randomness?

>genuine

It's simulating you as well, so it simply simulates you to think things are genuinely random.

Nah it has calls to the RNG all the time. This RNG must be really good if we can't tell it is pseudo random.

The computer simulating this universe isn't restricted by the simulation's restrictions, it's entirely possible the real universe the computer is located in allows computers to easily generate true randomness.

Distributive property shows why this kind of argument in false.

If both you and the system in which you are observing are simulated:

simulated(you, genuinely random system)

Then your argument sounds like this:

Then how am I (simulated) observing this genuinely random system (simulated)?

...which is more clearly false.

your description resonates with me, and I feel you on the subsisting during depression bit. however Soylent does not have to replace social eating. I do love delicious food, however I don't see that in a positive light. when I started drinking Soylent I experienced a real compulsive food craving for the first time, and I was disturbed by how similar it felt to cravings for certain addictive drugs that I've had experience with, so much so that I am now determined to kick what I now view as an addiction to the extremely rich food we in developed countries consume constantly.

Soylent is kind of like the asceticism of food for me.

Sounds like just the magnetics fried. You might be able to replace them if you're good with soldering.

You can't say it's not accurate.

A big fuckin' polynomial.

The universe is actually impossible to simulate, because of the definition of "universe" and that it breaks down recursively in logic.
Define the universe as "everything"
It is impossible to simulate the universe, because in order to do so, this simulation would need to simulate itself (as the simulation is a subset of the universe) and then the simulation within the simulation must simulate itself, and so on.
i.e. it requires infinite computational power to simulate the universe, with this definition of universe, therefore unless we have an infinite computer we can't simulate the universe (our assumption leads to something impossible, therefore the assumption is wrong).
That doesn't preclude the notion that our "observerable universe" (a subset of the total universe) might be a simulation of something greater. Or to think about it in a more technical manner, everything we experience might be within a chroot jail which is simulated.
But we have to understand that the definition of "universe" already includes this greater dimension. Or in other words, we can't simulate the thing which is the actual root.

Maybe the people who wrote our simulation didn't want us to have computers that could do full random so that we wouldn't bog down their machines running our own simulated universes.

your argument is a refutation of the definition of "universe", not a refutation that the universe is a simulation

sure, soylent in some moderation is reasonable (i've had it for breakfast because it's neutral, i don't have a ton of time in the morning, and i want to mix in protein as well, so it kind of kills all these birds with one stone), but i could never go fully soylent the way most soylent advocates seem to suggest. i probably consume it at about 5% the rate they expect (given that the smallest available subscription has led me to accumulating a fuckton of it in the span of like 6 months).

soylent is good if there's no dimension of the food that actually matters to you. for some meals (like breakfast), that might be the case. in some circumstances (like depression), that might be the case. these are all reasonable one-off cases for using soylent, but they're also indicative of other problems. i should really wake up earlier. i really benefit from antidepressants and checking in with a psychiatrist every once in a while to course correct. maybe that's why i have all this soylent — because i haven't had occasion to use any of it.

So the universe isn't everything? Then it really isn't a universe.
So we mustn't use a term for "universe" at all, but be clear to exactly what we are talking about.
The universe as a definition of "everything" is reasonable. The alternative conclusion is the unvierse doesn't exist. But yes, in principle the definition could be faulty.
However, you can't tell if the definition of the universe is faulty, or if the assumption "the universe is simulatable" is faulty. Either one may be faulty, if the conclusion is invalid (that simulating the universe requires infinite computational power). You can't know certainly which.
I would suggest that by occam's razor, it seem more reasonable that simulating the universe is impossible, than that the universe itself is impossible

You know, roundabouts make it suck less ass

we have a pretty decent understanding of the forces involved in data transfer. It's mostly 100+ year old science after all.

>all these brainlets being dumbfounded by data transfers
Holy shit are you all literally 16?

I should add that there is one other assumption made.
"The universe is logical"
This may be a flawed assumption. Many religious people claim this assumption is invalid when nonreligious people use the argument against the impossibility of omnipotence (can god create a rock that he can't lift?).
However, again by occam's razor, I don't think it is reasonable to abandon the fact that the universe relies on logic.

you defined 'universe' to be a thing which cannot be simulated and then declared that our reality is equal to your thing therefore reality cannot be simulated

good job refuting your own definition of a word