Question for Europeans: do you live in your ancestral town/city...

Question for Europeans: do you live in your ancestral town/city? Do you have lot of people that you know to be distant cousins living in the same city/town? Do you have a cemetery in the area with all of your ancestors?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CNE_1XvJo6g
geni.com/path/Charlemagne is related to Ivan-IV-the-Terrible?from=6000000002457013227&to=361294506280011622
geni.com/people/Froyla-Ferrández/6000000006281386116
geni.com/people/Childéric-I-King-of-the-Franks/6000000005913253971
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Before I opened the thread I knew this was the kind of question only an American would ask lmao

leaf this thread

1. Wat?
2. Yes
3. Wat? One of my ancestors was Harold Bluetooth, last viking king of Denmark. And he was descended from Charlemagne...so no.
I also doubt that your ancestors rose from the apes on the american continent.

When did Belgium annex Limburg?

As for your question, no. My grandparents are all from different parts of the country and I live nowhere near the towns where they are born.

Medieval kings often clamed they were descendents of Charlemagne and usually those claims are pure bullshit.

Well basically all europeans are descended from Charlemagne regardless of being able to trace the lineage. But sure, you are probably right about that.

>Harold Bluetooth

Is this a guess or do you know for sure?

>do you live in your ancestral town/city?
I think so, yeah
>Do you have lot of people that you know to be distant cousins living in the same city/town?
Yes
>Do you have a cemetery in the area with all of your ancestors?
Til the XIXth century yes.

Yes, most of my family on my father's side comes from where I live, it's a kind of mess on my mother's side tho
Yes, not town wise but department wise
Yeah in my hometown, with most of my father's side ancestors.

>basically all europeans are descended from Charlemagn
Literally what?

It's pretty certain (of course there is the risk of infidelity).
One of my pretty recent ancestors was a noblewoman, and one line of her family was descended from Harold.

>all europeans are descended from Charlemagne

Your questions means that in US the answers are no, no, no.
That's make me sad for you.
What kind of shitty civilisation are you.

youtube.com/watch?v=CNE_1XvJo6g

It's the curse of living in a non-homogenous country.
I live in Portugal and i don't know where my ancestors where from. They could be from north africa, levante, central europe, germany...

I think i might have "merchant" blood in me. I basically look like the merchant meme in Sup Forums... However, i don't know about any jewish history in my family

>meme tv show
>scientific fact

Sure, but on the end he cites a researcher. Not that i have looked up the reference, but it's not unreasonable.

All people with european ancestors are supposedly descendants of Charlemagne through statistical probability. Not sure how much I believe it

I can go to cities where my ancestors were from though

- yes
- yes
- yes

Italians don't have long term cemeteries though do they? I thought there were just communal crypts

I'm just saying there is no possible way for this to be true, especially for South and Eastern europe. Charlemagne was only like 1300y ago after all.

well considering there is fuckton of europeans now and wasnt so much back then any random peasant is related to everyone in europe

If you use 30 years between each generation, you'd have to go back about 40 generations to get from yourself to Charlemagne. 2^40 is about 1.1 trillion ancestors that you would have in Europe in the year 800, which is impossible due to the fact that there has never been over a trillion people in Europe. For this you need to take pedigree collapse into account, where you're related to an ancestor through more than one path. Statistically, it's very likely that everyone of European ancestry is a descendant of Charlemagne

But that's 43 generations(if a generation is 30 years) that's a shitload of people. Even though many people marry within the same family line several times it's still a huge probability.

Thank you for quantifying my term "shitload" friendly american.

>Question for Europeans: do you live in your ancestral town/city?
Close to it, around 40 kms.

>Do you have lot of people that you know to be distant cousins living in the same city/town?
Well, my ancestors were from small hamlets so only my grandparents and my uncle (with his wife and son) live there. Almost all of them live in the same province.

>Do you have a cemetery in the area with all of your ancestors?
We reuse the niches so I presume what is left is still there. But yeah, at least my direct ancestors I presume.

It's just that you have to make into consideration how close people lived with each other. Europe was not one big melting pot.
Franks were mostly mating with neighbour countries. While many eastern europeans and south europeans lived more isolated from them and mated between themselves for the most time. Even if it is true for the western europe I see hard time seing it being applied to the rest of the europe.

All of the european royalty are his descendants, and if you go far back enough, most people are related to the royalty in their respective countries

Both my parents are from London but they moved to the town I live in when they were kids.

Most of my relatives live in Germany.

-More or less. I live in Barcelona. Some of my ancestors lived here, others were from towns more or less close.
For all of them Barcelona was, probably, their capital city, tho.
-I have some.
-I have them scattered. A branch of my family has a mausoleum. The others are, mainly, in two different cementeries.

I still have to research quite a lot. I don't know much about my family before the 1850s~

Well, I mean even in Russia, it's been a while since Russian tsars germanised and most of the peasants were still living in vilages mating with other vilagers. By that time and after that I'm sure there is a big chance that not all of them had a chance to mate with a western european.

But taking into account all of the illegitimate children had by nobles and all of that, it seems likely. All you need is to have one connection to European nobility and you're connected to them all.

Look at Ivan the terrible. You can trace his connection to Charlemagne via Wikipedia by just clicking on the correct parent. He's connected through the Byzantine Empire, Greece, Italy, and France.

yes, yes and yes

well, that's about 5000 miles away, so no, I don't.

My ancestors were from the north, I probably have some saami genes, I live in Trondheim, I honestly don't know much further back than my great grandparents though.

Where are you from?

Only autists care about their ancestors. People in America care about their current friends and family unlike Eurofags who weep about their past accomplishments without trying to better themselves in the future

link pls

geni.com/path/Charlemagne is related to Ivan-IV-the-Terrible?from=6000000002457013227&to=361294506280011622

To calculate a relationship to Charlemagne, you need to use this link and copy and paste the name and ID number of the person you want to connect into the link above

Charlemagne+is+related+to+NAME?from=6000000002457013227&to=ID#

Even though there is a big chance that many Europeans are, I just doubt that everyone is, considering cultural isolation.

>I'm not just white
>I'm 25 % German, 1/32 Irish, 1/1435632738 Russian ...

ty

>Swede claims to be a descendant from Karel de Grote
>African Americans claim he wad black
I see a connection

Is Geni good for building my family tree and finding people (distant cousins and such) and ancestors?

All humans are descendants from Adam and Eve and if you disagree you are an euphoric gentleman.

I have doubts too. I'd rather see the paper trail. It's just an interesting theory.

I'd say ancestry.com is better, but Geni has more well-defined trees for European nobility.

Galicia

Coruña, Orense ou Vigo?

>mfw some guy reached the year 627

geni.com/people/Froyla-Ferrández/6000000006281386116

When all your ancestors came from the same village you live in you are probably inbred.

Check mate atheists

One of Charlemagne's furthest back non-legendary ancestors was from the 400s: geni.com/people/Childéric-I-King-of-the-Franks/6000000005913253971

wow...

¿Como narices debo introducir bien los dos apellidos?

Why do you want to know that?

>Kosovo
>No Abkhazia, South Osseta, ect
Shit map, kill yourself OP

>ancestral town/city
>town/city

Nigga my "ancestors" were farmers that lived in places that could barely be called a village.

Thank Based God that my grandparents from both sides of the family moved into cities in the aftermath of WWII.

>Europe was not one big melting pot.

It was during wars

1. yes
2. no
3. yes

Mother is from Moscow Oblast
Father is from Kursk
so I guess no

I moved away for studying, but our home is where most of our ancestors lived 300 years ago. There are lots of poeple in the surrounding villages that are related. Or not really surrounding, not a single one from the villages south of the small river, but a a lot from north of it.
We only rent graves for 30 years here. We had a really nice plot in our town directly on the main path to the church, but it got too expenisive. It was intended for 8 graves, so one death every 4 years. But since only a few survived the war, we currently need only 3 graves, so we got a smaller plot. We keep all the old gravestones, though. My mothers side wasn't that important, so they never had a continously used plot.

I Oblasted your mum last nite mate

you cheeky cunt m8

>do you live in your ancestral town/city?
No, but most of my ancestors are from the southeast, were i also live. Many "båtsmän" from the navy.

No

Do you have a cemetery in the area with all of your ancestors?
Many are buried in Blekinge, Bräckne-Hoby and Nättraby.

No. My ancestral towns are in Lapland and in Karelia but I live in the capital. Almost none of my relatives lived or live in the capital.

My ancestral city isnt in turkey

not really but I would say it's fairly common in others parts of this country (and I even know people locally it could apply to.)

bump

>no
>no
>no
My family is 100% Finnish but we've moved around like any normal family
weird question 2bh

In my village, I brother, 2 sisters, 5 cousins, each with 3 children. 1 cousin once removed... in the next village, 2 aunts; the next town, grandparent, and uncle ( 4 kids )

2 Villages over in other direction Aunt, and uncle.

No graves locally, always cremated... but in local town, plenty of family from 1800's before.

Are you sámi then?

oldest cemeteries are from Napoleonic times, if you have interest in the matter check out Staglieno cemetery in Genoa.
Also Milan, Venice and Bologna have cool old ones.