Do people dislike java because it's popular among pajeets or is it a genuinely bad language?

Do people dislike java because it's popular among pajeets or is it a genuinely bad language?

Other urls found in this thread:

quora.com/What-are-the-most-ridiculous-Java-class-names-from-real-code
steve-yegge.blogspot.com/2006/03/execution-in-kingdom-of-nouns.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>or
hahaha

People generally don't like its verbosity but is considered to be an adequate general purpose language. NEETs don't like it because it's considered the language for people who work. But yes, pajeets contribute to the hate of the language ten fold.

(cont.) If you search for Java related topics on Google, street shitter web sites have all but overtaken the search engine space with them giving out very bad advice and they're usually written in broken English. There are also pajeets shitting up sites the Quora giving boilerplate or nonsense answer on topics relating to Java. It's incredibly annoying and further fuels hatred toward the language even though it has nothing to do with the language itself.

Unforunately, Java is fucking trash. Learn a language with some functional features, maybe something not JVM-bound, learn something that isn't antiquated.

>java has a garbage collector
/thread

Like?
I know Java, MATLAB, C++ and Python

People either hate it because they tried it at some point in the last 10 years and are ignoring the fact that it keeps getting better, used it for work on shit legacy projects (soap xmlfiesta, browser applets ..) or still can't into design patterns and oop.
Also newfags usually learn node and shit on java so that they can fit in.

But java is actually pretty good, you just have to not use decade old apis and chose comfy tools and frameworks.

Java isn't even that great for the kind of thing it's going for. C# is a superior Java to Java.

also trips proves i'm right

why is it that almost every program written in java I've used always lags and crashes frequently?

Fuckin pajeet gas station has me fix their shit computers programmed by pajeets (I'm white as fuck) and I get 35bux an HR to format their shitty Isis loving USB sticks

If ur gonna compare Java 2 Java then taking a dump is better fucking C is better

The former, but it has a fair number of downsides. It's good for some things, terrible for others.
Overall has a place beyond just being there because it's an older one that pioneered "Compile once run everywhere", but it's weighted too heavily in the professional world.

I personally dislike java because it takes the OOP paradigm to a ridiculous extreme, and I find that the people who like it are the kind who will apply patterns and principles without any thought as to their purpose or the sheer amount of boilerplate they are creating.
That said, it's not a broken language, it can be made to work.

Mfw I can hack but I'm a diesel mechanic and ppl flip their shit cuz I make more money than my junk cs degree dictates I should.... moral is work hard and get paid hard faggots fuck h1b's

This, it's only bad if you take it to AbstractPajeetWebFrameworkNiggerPlantation.Factory.View sort of extremes

Have you written an android program before? It's almost that bad in the android API.

Java is gross.

You got to run that ancient beige installer for the JRE that proudly displays its old man selling point of "Java is installed in billions of hardware and devices" as meant to really WOW you into thinking Java is the best thing ever.

What's more, is that I immediately associate Java with two poorly coded programs, the only times I've honestly used Java. 1.) an old feature-rich Bittorrent client called Azureus, it is an amazing bittorrent client that pioneered automatic RSS feed torrent downloading, but the fucking thing ate up 512MB of ram back when I only had 1GB of ram and that was considered a lot. 2.) Minecraft alpha, which I only honestly played for a short time, but remember how poor the performance was with the game despite looking so primitive.

Java has just left a bad taste in my mouth. I realize I'm being superficial about it, but I really don't want to get near Java with a 10 foot pole.

Yeah I had to at uni. The gods bless us with quad core mobile processors, and this is what we do with it..

I still have nightmares of doing SOAP shit in java.... never again

You don't work in IT, do you?

just use spring-ws literally does everything for you

It was legacy shit

>use Java for project
>end up spending 95% of your time fucking around with XML files

whoever thought XML for software configuration was a good idea should die a very slow painful death.

>want to do any math with a type that's not an integer
>can't
>have to convert everything to int first every time
well
fuck this language

Did you just open an IDE and started randomly typing stuff then closed it because it didn't compile ?

No, I didn't

Java has four letters and starts with a J. You know what else is the same?

Jews.

It's not a bad language. The fact that it's the most sought after language by IT companies says a lot.

I've been using Java professionally for 2 years and I like the clean design you can do with it and how it's much easier to do than with python, javascript or c/c++.

I don't like how companies push Java on EVERYTHING they do. Sometimes it's good to just script & chill and it's very hard to convince them that some small internal tool would benefit more from scripting languages.

If you just want to make your grandma a blog site for her to post about her cookies, just use Wordpress or whatever makes your work easiest to do.

Well then I don't know what the hell you're talking about.
Post some code to clarify.

Glorious OOP master race
quora.com/What-are-the-most-ridiculous-Java-class-names-from-real-code

public static void main(String[] args) {

boolean f = true;
int x = 1;
x += f; // does not work you fucking idiot, what's so hard to understand there

}

Why do you try to add a boolean an integer, you fucking retard?

why do I keep replying to these bait threads

fuck off

user has a point though. Why add a bool to an int? Just use an int or cast the bool.

did you read my posts
that's my problem
why would I need to cast a BOOLEAN to an INT
a BOOLEAN IS AN INT

either I cast that shit to an int or I have to have every function that return a bool twice, one for returning a bool when I need it and one for returning an int when I need it
that's stupid as fucking hell

and no don't worry, booleans are not the only type in Java you can't do math with, just look it up

if you have never written a proper line of code in your life, or tried to with java, then stop baiting here
and with proper I don't mean your tea timer app or fizzbuzz or some shit

there are many cases where it's just really fucking handy, don't tell me otherwise
that I have to cast everything before doing so is just dumb and shows that the language is dumb

I don't know how to tell you this without you taking offense, but boolean is not an int. Please don't take this personally.

you're a moron. A boolean is a range that goes from yes to no. You don't add apples and integers. You don't add high concept abstract art and integers. You don't add booleans and integers. You add integers and integers.

Matter of fact, you don't even add booleans and booleans. Operations you can do with booleans include logical AND, logical OR, etc. Closest thing to adding would be an OR, which, while close, is still not addition, the same way just because you can write "ab" + "cd" and get a string "abcd", it doesn't mean you're adding strings, it means you're concatenating them, but saying you're adding them is just nicer and makes sense.

If you're actually asking this, you're either baiting or you don't know what a type is, which is one of the most basic concepts in programming, and therefore no matter how much java sucks you have no business saying so.

>InternalFrameInternalFrameTitlePaneInternalFrameTitlePaneMaximizeButtonWindowNotFocusedState
wtf

>a BOOLEAN IS AN INT

even if this was true, the fact you want to implement this kind of logic means your code structure is highly flawed and needs reworking.

explain to me the structure of a boolean without it being an int

go

>boolean: The boolean data type has only two possible values: true and false. Use this data type for simple flags that track true/false conditions. This data type represents one bit of information, but its "size" isn't something that's precisely defined.

that's not the structure, that's the documentation

The documentation states that boolean is not an int. Structure won't help you here.

I see you are stubborn.
If and when you get to work in the field you will see how design choices like adding a boolean to an int will come back to bite your ass tenfold. That is if you miraculously get by code review.

yeah you are right, Java magically invented the register that saves booleans instead of bits
suppose I was wrong

Java language definition is not dictated by hardware that will run the implementation.

Then fucking give up on high level languages if they constrain you so much and just manipulate the hard disk directly with a magnetized needle.

just no

if you have for example a dumb hash function and you take an int value depending on a bool value you can either
int*bool or if bool then add int
there is literally no difference and nothing will bite my ass ever, except that one is not possible in java

and you can't say if int then ..., you always have to make a comparison like if int > 0

that's just a dumb restriction that saves you from nothing except writing good code

bet you faggots even use scala

>and nothing will bite my ass ever

In what professional setting have you worked where this kind of programming was considered acceptable?

or another good thing is
I have a counter of some sort
if it's > 0 I return true
this means in Java I have to make an extra bool
check if the int is > 0 and return true
I can't just return the int as bool which is true or false solely depending on the int

I would probably end up smashing my monitor if I would review your code.

your counterpoints are just particular examples you find clever. they say nothing about a language's suitability for expressing ideas. you think this is a deficit of the language, when it's really just a deficit in your ability to try anything new. if you don't like java, fine, don't use it, go perform some boolean arithmetic all the live long day, but you're not qualified to critique the language because the only thing you can come up with is "you can do this in C, but you can't in Java!" which is an argument you can use to compare any two languages, shit or not.

and I would vomit all over your spaghetticode casting here and there
that's because I named this particular problem I have with Java and you kept replying and made it the topic of our posts

and you pretended that you don't understand what I mean after my first post eventhough it should have been clear as day even after my very first post
you wanted the discussion about it, not me

K, give us a link to some of your code so we know you're not the one writing spaghetti code.

You can do

return value > 0;

If you're doing

return value;

then congratulations, you already have a room for error, as it will return true for negative numbers. Even if right now the value is unsigned, nothing stops the future maintainer from switching the value to signed and missing this function, introducing a nasty regression.

learn lisp

>Although the Java Virtual Machine defines a boolean type, it only provides very limited support for it. There are no Java Virtual Machine instructions solely dedicated to operations on boolean values. Instead, expressions in the Java programming language that operate on boolean values are compiled to use values of the Java Virtual Machine int data type.

fuck off, this is not php

That's not hardware, and as you can clearly see the definition of what boolean type is not even dictated by the specifics of the VM.

Holy shit dude your code sounds insane.

He is become pajeet even if he likes to admit it or not.

>HURRR why isnt static typed language behaving like dynamic typed ??? omg guise java suxxxx

This. Somehow people always think you can't open a file into a string in one line, because they don't use nio.
Also, nice numbers.

also, those trips of truth

It amazes me how these literal morons don't seem to understand how processors work in depth

>c has no boolean and treats integers as boolean
>EVERY LANGUAGE SHOULD BE LIKE THAT
Fuck off
I like C, I think it's the greatest programming language ever made, but attacking Java just because it's doing the actually sensible thing of having a separate type for true/false values is plain stupid
Do you also attack Lisp and Haskell because they don't use curly braces and because they are functional?

In fact I believe Java would be much better if it wasn't so much inspired by C (eg why are semicolons necessary? why parentheses are needed around if/while conditions?, etc)

Just use the ternary operator if you have to
>but it's verbose
Yeah, Java is verbose but this verbosity and the fact that Java is a really simple language with very few keywords (unlike say C++) is an advantage when you are working on a good IDE with refactoring, javadoc integration, autocompletion, type inference etc.

Go straight to Assembly.
You do not pass Go.
You do not collect $100.

BTA go
go:
LDAA #$100

wrong, faggot.

I think Java is a pretty good object oriented language. If I had to fault it, I'd say:
- System.out.println("it's too verbose");
- Some of the newer features seem a bit shoehorned in
- Not really "fun" to program in

Bad desing probably, I have had the same experience but they all were shitty independent projects

7/10 this is probably legitimately the state of Sup Forums right now

confirmation bias. you're most likely using java software every day when browsing the web without realizing it

I think he was implying that wouldn't understand the Go language and that no-one would hire him
t. him

>public static void main(String[] args) {
>
> boolean f = true;
> int x = 1;
> x += f; // does not work you fucking idiot, what's so hard to understand there
>
>}

public static void main(String[] args) {
boolean f = true;
int x = 1;
if (f) {
x += 1;
}
}

This should work.

x += f ? 1 : 0;

steve-yegge.blogspot.com/2006/03/execution-in-kingdom-of-nouns.html

>Mfw I can hack
is it 2003

The pajeets are just used as an insult, hoping to persuade people to stop using Java. The pajeets are only there /because/ it's popular. Those guys couldn't care less what they are hammering on their keyboards as long as it keeps them fed.

It's not a great language, but no language is. It can be ridiculously verbose and it forces OOP, which I don't see as a problem, but the concept turns out to be difficult to grasp for lots of people, but as egos work, they'll start blaming the concept, not themselves.

Java is not garbage at all, is just TOO verbose compared with the most recent programming languages of today.

I've seen some crazy misinformed shit said on this board, but this is the most retarded thing I've read in a long time.

hey I still have azureus on my pentium 4 clunker for torrenting because I couldn't get a 64 bit version of protowall its great.

We should be happy about this. Pajeets giving terrible, terrible advice to other pajeets will ensure the existance of our white programming future.

If Pajeets actually produced competetive code at a fraction of the pay (as the bean counters believe), we'd be fucked.
So, to all Pajeets who are preventing the other Pajeets from becoming proficient — cheers!

It's a tradeoff. C# is miles better than Java as a language, but the java ecosystem and build tools are way better the .net realm (though VS is pretty great)