When svchost.exe uses 100% of your disk I/O...

>When svchost.exe uses 100% of your disk I/O, making your computer completely unresponsive so you have to taskkill /f it AGAIN.
After spending the past few years almost exclusively on GNU/Linux I wonder how the fuck do winfags deal with this constant stream of bullshit. Are they masochists?

Most of them are too retarded to understand what an OS -is- let alone switch to Linux. Even most MSP employees are completely incapable of using a Linux or unix shell.

No we just don't use potato computers. Windows is generally run either on higher end PCs or PCs with decent processors.

Post in another thread said it best. People just hate change and will conform to an arbitrary standard to make their lives easier.

Works on my machine. Try actually disabling services you don't need rather than just let everything run by default.

delete svchost.exe you think you don't need it anyways.

most of the computers sold are throw away windows laptops

It's Windows Update doing its thing. It's 2017, buy SSD and you won't have this problem

this

I've been playing windows for 2 years without the svchost botnet

If you are using windows 7 then it is your fault.
I had same problem in windows 7 while windows 10 LTSB is silent as hill.

WU in windows 7 is fucked up. You need to manually instal some updates and then it starts working propertly.

I have an i7 920 (which is old but still very capable) and a fast HDD. I never get this kind of slowdown on Linux even when I'm swapping like a bitch. Yet windows crawls to an halt every time.

see >disabling windows update
I'd rather dban my disk right away instead of waiting for the latest wave of ransomware.

>it just werks

I use I5 540 and windows 10 is fast and works for me.

Windows 7 runs shitty now in all PCs that I installed.

>>it just werks
Install non SP1 win7 and int won't

Good for you, Pajeet.

Heavy windows users are generally either gaymers or video editors who take advantage of DX. It's understandable that your PC runs okay on Linux because Linux in genenal accels at lighter tasks like coding and gaming.

You're an idiot if you dont know how to change IO priority. And you're poor if you dont have a SSD raid which makes points like this moot - pic related.

>After spending the past few years almost exclusively on GNU/Linux I wonder how the fuck do winfags deal with this constant stream of bullshit.
By knowing how to change IO priorities for processes?

Coding and web browsing*

Wew I really need some coffee.

Linux doesn't need to do that though. I can be rebuilding the entire system from source and the other I/O doesn't even hiccup. Windows is awful at handling lots of processes or I/O.

>it just werks
>linux is complicated

>It's understandable that your PC runs okay on Linux because Linux in genenal accels at lighter tasks like coding and gaming.
I do a lot of video encoding and I run heavily parallel code plus a bunch of VMs constantly on Linux. I wouldn't even trust windows to stay stable while I watch a youtube video while I encode some music.

40GB chinkpad with root ZFS here.

CoW was the best thing that could possibly happen for HDDs and I cannot live in a world with write amplification anymore.

scvhost is just the execution wrapper for a Windows service. Did you even bother to run process explorer and figure out what was working so hard? Of course not, because you're a Sup Forums memelet that only uses technology and doesn't bother to learn how it works.

Disgusting.

I actually did, it's windows update. See

Are you OP? If you aren't then how the fuck would you know that his problem and yours are the same?

Yes I am OP and I know because that's what I found out after trying to understand why svchost was choking my HDD to death. But it doesn't matter which service's fault it is, this shouldn't happen on a modern OS yet here we are. The fact that it' actually windows update's fault, a critical system component, is just the cherry on top.

>root ZFS
Sounds like you're running a BSD. Why not upgrade that drive so you can store more ports. It'll almost be like using Gentoo and Debian simultaneously.

> I can be rebuilding the entire system from source and the other I/O doesn't even hiccup.
You aren't doing enough disk i/o then. Any OS will suffer from this issue.

Windows has CoW

(It's actually linux)
Just install zfs-initramfs, rebuild initram, rsync root, set to mount /, rm your fstab, add some grub params, and reboot.
With differential snapshot send and recv it's surprisingly flexible for backups to a tiny USB pool.
Root install took up 4GB with lz4 compression checked.

It's just a gutted NTFS with checksums.
The random I/O hitrate can't hold a candle to ARC and L2ARC hitrates.
And it doesn't do atomic 5 second transactions.

The following features are unavailable on ReFS at this time:
Functionality ReFS NTFS
File system compression No Yes
File system encryption No Yes
Data Deduplication No Yes
Transactions No Yes
Hard links No Yes
Object IDs No Yes
Short names No Yes
Extended attributes No Yes
Disk quotas No Yes
Bootable No Yes
Supported on removable media No Yes
NTFS storage tiers No Yes

Overall: Meh, just port ZFS to Windows if you guys want to have good storage.

>hmm maybe we could give each service its own executable
>nah lets wrap everything up into svchost.exe
>oh and lets put several services in one wrapper so that you still can't always tell which service is suddenly using tons of resources

not my fault that windows has a pants-on-head retarded architecture.

svchost now has multiple instances running at any given time.

>i installed god knows what pile of shit and now my computer runs like shit or I use a 2004 turd
user, if youre retarded and need help /sqt/ is waiting for you.

They do not know any better. They think the Windows experience is an accurate representation of how their computer should function. It and its quirks are what they grew up with.

MEANWHILE ON LINUX
>

Performance reasons. In Windows 10 each service has its own svchost now.

Superfetch rapes just about anything. The search indecent is also notoriously bad.

At this point, why wouldn't you just use Linux? Your main complaint is generally "wahhh I have to configure things", so haven't you come full circle?

The Windows indexing service doesn't run while you're using the computer. As with a lot of Windows Services.

>Samsung pro ssd
>Task Manager
>Disk 40MB/s
>Disk usage 100%

>What didn't happen the post

I've never had issues with any version of windows. Even windows 8/8.1 or 10. Literally zero issues.

Do 3D modeling, 3D animation, lots of different forms of work.

I also used to play games of all types.

Bot once did windows crash, give me errors or anything.

More often than not mac users would whine about this failing or this not working. I just laughed.

I tried linux for a few weeks. Constantly had weird errors I had to fix, crashing and unstable. No excusing the lack of any software or anything remotely useful on it. But I looked cause my job had some neckbeard try and sell us on the idea.

He was fired and we stayed with windows.

Literally retards have issues with windows. You clearly are one OP.

Congrats

upvoted!

>I wonder how the fuck do winfags deal with this constant stream of bullshit. Are they masochists?
Dunno what ya talkin' bout, sounds like you're retard ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I do use a potato yet I don't know what y'all are talkin' bout tho :^)