I fell for the Computer Science meme and after graduating I can't get any job offers...

I fell for the Computer Science meme and after graduating I can't get any job offers. Been sending out applications to places all over, started focusing a bit on NYC more lately but still only have gotten one interview so far. Can I expect to get an entry level job anywhere with this experience that isn't McDonald's? I've also tried some of those remote contracting sites before but I only ended up getting people asking me to work for free. The interview I got kept asking about dumb JS frameworks like Angular, should I start learning those to put on here?

Other urls found in this thread:

gayle.com/career-advice/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

My first impression was that something on your CV was off. You wrote a trading system for a MMORPG but put on your CV that you used the gmail API? Also why are there no names for the volunteer positions?

You CV seems good for entry level, maybe you're just unlucky.

I don't name them because they're my little pony fan games

the formatting of your resume (CV for bongs) is shit.

Half of the page is dedicated to volunteer work. You could use better descriptions for what you did too.

Your CV is shit. No one cares about what you did. They might care about what you achieved. Structure your points as:

SITUATION

TASK

ACTION

RESULT

e.g. 'when I began working at x the problem was y. I used my experience with z to create plan p. When implemented the outcome was v.'

Go to your uni's career skills seminars and shit you dumb nigger you paid for this stuff with your tuition fees.

the formatting is made specifically by the advice of some other people who were critiqueing my previous resume, so I guess there's really just no way to format these things that everyone will agree on

just use your favorite LaTeX template.

I personally throw away (read: delete) any resumes sent to me in a .docx format

When I started working on those modules in the internship they didn't exist. I accomplished making them exist. I'm not sure what would be different here.

If Joseph here can get a good job so can you

You dumb faggot you're marketing your services in your CV, not autistically recounting details for your personal diary. Get some basic CV writing skills from a local community college or a charity or some shit, you have completely the wrong mindset and right now you'll never get a damn job.

Looks like you have decent experience.

Make your resume look good, it's appearance is a pile of fucking dogshit.

This is completely baffling because I specifically posted it in resume critique threads elsewhere and its current appearance is the result of following that advice and the people there saying it looked good now. All I can take from this is that it's impossible to make a resume look good to everyone because it'll always look good to some and bad to others.

>Computer Science

Go back and try again this time with Computer Engineering

You got career advice from a Sup Forums board full of unemployed or collegefags? Have a think about the worthwhileness of that sentiment, genius. Stay poor or get some actual fucking career skills from a reputable centre nearby.

you must have taken advice from a NEET in your previous thread

No it's quite literally fucking dogshit.

Do not take the advice of absolute fucking retards, live your own life and make it how you want it to look.

The majority of people in this world are absolutely fucking retarded and if you don't stand out you will never get anywhere.

Don't be a sheep faggot.

> He knows 8 programming languages

hahaha sure.

As a person who participates in the company recruitment process, I would bin this CV pretty much without reading it. Complete rubbish.

>he only knows one
wew lad

Same user.

I actually submitted my resume on Monster and/or Indeed for a critique.

My resume looks fantastic and I can get interviews easily.

These fucking morons tell me about how shit it looks and how the formatting is off.

Point is, everyone is absolutely fucking retarded and the sooner you realize it the better.

Your CV and covering letters have to be tailored to the job you apply for dumbfuck. So asking people on fucking Sup Forums what they think of your CV is weapons grade dumbfuck retarded.

lol you realise that they will probably ask you more about what it was in an interview, at which point you will have to somehow NOT mention what it actually was...

He doesn't have a good job though. He got those two good internships, but was probably way to autistic to work as a team in a graduate role and I think he's still doing freelance stuff last time I checked.

Also that fucking Fluttershy recolour, jesus.

Linux pone a qt though

You will never find a job in today's market in any field by mass sending resumes everywhere. Job postings are ALWAYS dummy posts intended for a candidate who was ALREADY selected. Posting the job somewhere was required by company policy or whatever, so HR posted it.

The only way to get a job right now is to network. Nobody really cares about what you did, what your education and GPA were, and what problems you solved in the past. People care about who you know and how you know them. "Oh you worked with X at your internship! How did that go? Yeah X says good things about you! You're hired." That is the *only* way to get a job right now.

I agree with the others that your resume is ugly as shit. Did your college not have a career fair or a career center or something to help you?

You were mislead somewhere along the line if you finished your CS degree without getting a job offer ahead of time, but being unemployed outside of school is literally the worst thing you can do in regards to getting interviews.

My advice is as follows:
Make your resume less ugly.
Work on your writing skills to reach out to companies individually.
Go for startups, they have lower standards.

Honestly, go work a helpdesk job until you get hired on as a programmer. The worst thing in the world is having employment gaps. Keep on building up your git hub while you work the help desk and try applying for programming jobs once you hit around the six month mark.

here

Also look on meetup or eventbrite for startup/tech events to try to schmooze your way into some jobs. If you don't drink, learn to drink.

How the fuck is it "ugly"? That's fucking retarded. It's a formatted list of experience and skills. Black and white organized into sections with headings and bullet points. If that's ugly then literally every other black paragraph on a white background ever written is also ugly.

knowing people > resume's desu.

also linkedin if you want to get retarded emails from nobodies who want to waste 30 minutes of your life telling you how cool the companies he represents are.

>I think he's still doing freelance stuff last time I checked.

He's doing his PhD

because it looks like some poorly typeset piece of shit.

Probably word's fault more than anything else.

I don't think your CV or being CS graduate is the problem here.

I can't say what exactly seems wrong.

If I had to give my opinion I would tell you simply to scrap volunteer work, it seems as if you are trying to bloat your CV with superfluous stuff.

Try shortening it, here is what I use for resume

Also engineer and CS is no meme, you can get work anywhere by being a mere code monkey.

In the trash it goes. The design of that CV is pointless and distracting to look at

I'd kill for a code monkey position but I've sent out at least a hundred applications since May and only got one interview, which seemed to go well but I didn't hear back from. But I think that might've been because they looked at my portfolio page which I just realized a few days ago one of the projects on still had some unprofessional comments in it from when I wrote it in high school.

It's hard to explain but your resume is a bit visually off-putting. Too many nested bullets, maybe? Consider This resume doesn't look fantastic, but at least it doesn't have hollow and different shaped bullets. Also these is more visual separation between the times and the titles of your positions.

What design? Its literally the perfect CV, no bullshitting and sober.

wtf is that. get rid of that now you french imbecile. less is better.

Thanks for reminding me how shit so many people are at marketing themselves Sup Forums. It's been ages since I reviewed CVs in my former role and it was a great laugh, probably the most fun I had on the job.

OP if you want your resume to not look ugly, just google image search "minimalist resume" and copy one of the first ten images.

I'm not the other user. I have worked help desks and the same thing happens to me every time. After around 11 months I'm one of the few remaining from the batch I was hired in because everybody else has been fired and I have build up enough time there to know how they do things there and can get things done quickly and and get top technical and resolution metrics, and top QA metrics, but I can only maintain around 93% customer satisfaction metrics and they find that unacceptable and fire me because they all have minimum customer satisfaction metric is 97%. The last help desk interview I was at the interviewer hinted something about how it's a small city and reputation gets around. I can't get another help desk job and I cant seem to get a programming job either. I'm out of options and have a huge gap.

while I was working at my internship they showed me this resume someone actually sent in, I can't believe this is what I'm competing with. I had a return offer there but I couldn't take it because I had to move.

all my friends steal my resume template i wrote in LaTeX.

kind of annoys me since it's licensed under the CC-4.0 by SA and they never post the source/resume.

Imagine if you went your entire life up until this year without solving any problems.

Where you live user? Your city might just be too small for a good IT career. Honestly I would suggest going to a big tech city. Try Seattle, Austin, Houston, or something. Going to New York or San Francisco will be murder in terms of pricing for new residents.

Unfortunately I had to throw a load of the really good ones I kept in my desk drawer when I got a new job. But one guy actually wrote in that he was qualified for a role because he was "good at explaining things to his less intelligent friends", and I'm nearly quoting verbatim.

You should take their fucking asses to court for license violations!

pretty much this. it just sucks though because they'll offer you a YUGE looking number like $85k and then you realize that's like poverty there.

t. cuck considering working for some shitty place in Boston.

I should

sending out resumes counts as distribution right?

I've considered it but now I have such a huge gap and also when browsing postings I see the same stuff like need superb excellent fanatical customer satisfaction and I get discouraged that it'll be the same thing only worse because I would have moved for that.
Another aspect of this that I also got discouraged about is that in a average month 900 surveys are sent out but, only 40 fill them out very positive and comment that they love me, and only 3 fill them out negative with comments that the hate me, and some how that is a unacceptably low customer satisfaction. And because otherwise I'm very good, all those hundreds of people that verbally said they love me and thought I was their hero that saved their day but they didn't fill out and return the survey suffer because the new batches they hire are rarely do as good of job, well actually they do a very good job focusing on gaming the metrics.

When I asked for 78k in Boston the tone of the interview changed dramatically.

You must have a very tech savvy HR department.

LOL! That resume looks familiar. I work in HR for our company, and not only did I immediately bin it, but I also emailed it around to let other employers know not to hire this guy either.

Listen to me you autistic mother fucker, get your ass to Seattle(even though it is expensive but an average IT job will pay you enough to live there okay unlike the bay), Orlando, research triangle park, Houston, or Minneapolis. Then you apply like a mother fucker. Hell I know seattle has tons of places hiring for help desk on the east side. Go look up kforce and get into contact with them. Just say something like oh I had to take care of a sick loved one or i tried my hand at freelance IT work. They don't give a shit once you pass their screening process. They should hook you up with a helpdesk job or even a entry level programmer job. If you don't like the job after a few months find another one. Tons of people are fucking hiring here.

Jesus stop being a fucking autist

CV looks off but I can't put my finger on it. Remove some of the fat to make it easier to read, maybe put a line in between sections? The other stuff should come out in interviews.

Expand your search. Sure, NYC sounds great, but everyone is trying to go there. Look for jobs in less conventional places. IIRC Omaha is a banking hub. There are successful regional companies that need good folks. Hell, walmart's having a hard time recruiting for their security team so they held an infosec conference to get the word out.

>pretending you know like fourteen different programming languages

I remember being 15 once.

we specifically ask for .pdf

if applicants are too stupid to read directions or convert a document to a .pdf, then we don't want them working here.

I would flip your resume upside down, basically. Put your skills at the very top, then work experience, then volunteer experience, then finally education.

You're not structuring your CV/Resume for random neckbeards on some advice forum. So who cares what other people in another forum have told you. Just because you say there's not a resume that pleases everyone (No shit), doesn't mean there isn't one that will please the majority of HIRING MANAGERS (Your target audience).

A resume detailing accomplishments with NUMERICAL METRICS, always helps instead of "Look at the buzzwords I know."

If you really know everything you say you do in your resume getting a job should be trivial. I'm a full stack developer with no formal education and only experience. I trip over jobs and constantly have recruiters on my jock

No objective, no real examples of what he did with the skills he listed and most of all no real work experience. Two month internship means absolutely shit.

I would have just said I was a retail associate at sports authority. Any job looks good because it shows you have soft skills like coming on time early or working with people.

"PLEASE GIVE ME ADVICE, BUT I HAVE AN EXCUSE FOR EVERYTHING" - The Thread!

your resume looks like shit. you look like you banged it out in 10 minutes. i'm in a position to hire, and if it came across me, i'd spend 5 seconds trying to read it, and then give up and delete it. go to hacker news and search for good resume templates. within 5 seconds of reading it, i should be able to identify where you've worked for how long, and what you're skilled in.

>claims comp sci meme
>shit resume
>only one interview
Plain and simple fact is that you haven't earned it yet. That is the problem with people now a days, myself included at one time. Thinking everything is going to be handed to you without having to work for it. Until one day you choose to change your life by sheer will, hard work, and determination. Or you don't...

>be me
>1000+ job applications
>3 months of my life after graduation
>30+ interviews
>resume building became my job
>job searching became my job
>interviewing became my job
>get 2 decent offers at top 5 companies

This is your first step. How bad do you want a job in this field?

Lets look at your shit resume:

>Education
No one gives a shit about your GPA. Just be prepared to prove it with a transcript.

>Work Experience
Dates, short description, and technology stack. Keep. It. Simple. Stupid.

>Volunteer Experience
It is illegal to "Volunteer" for work of this type in the USA. So, looks like you have some internship experience on your hands there.

>Technical Skills
List these in your technology stack for work/internship experience. Relate them to actual concrete experience. No one cares what you know, only how and what you applied it to.

Finally, the first person to see your resume will be the following:

>non-technical, won't even have a background in engineering
>won't even understand languages beyond their names
>average time they spend looking at your resume
>10-30 seconds

Good luck.

This is ridiculous, I've spent hours on this fucking thing following specific advice from people. Obviously it'll just never be good enough.

>PostreSQL
nigga I noticed that typo 3 seconds into reading your CV. you need to do better

Include the results or value to the organization of your work

OP
Don't be afraid to explain what it is if the interviewer asks.

I spent several years working for a RuneScape botting site.
When the interviewer asked me to clarify what exactly I did, I had to explain what RuneScape was and then I briefly explained what "bots" were in relation to the game, then I explained my role.

Both of the people who were interviewing me were fascinated. The senior dev, who was one of the people interviewing me, used to play Everquest, so he knew what MMO bots were.

you're kidding, right? Your secondary bullet points don't even line up

idk it took me like 6+ hours of random fuckery and smoke testing in order to get my resume to an ok state.

but my resume also looks super slick bro even though the content is mediocre.

that's what happens when plebs use wysiwyg editors with shitty typesetting and layout engines like M$ Werd

Your resume is ugly and not modern for a job in "computer science".
Keep in mind that computer science is supposed to be the most modern science.
Try to make your resume like pic related, it's a template i took from google doc.

forget the pic like a retard

>"Bachelor's in Computer Science"
Replace this with "Bachelor of Science, Computer Science"
Most companies use automated resume scanners looking for keywords. Not only with the latter match their search criteria, it's also more correct.

Do the same for your Associates.

Add more detail to your education section.
Add a label for your GPA; add accomplishments and relevant coursework.

>I've spent hours on this fucking thing following specific advice from people
well, it doesn't show, because of shit like seriously, go to hacker news and do what i said. add a little color, and pick an aesthetically pleasing sans serif font. also, do what says. no one gives a shit about where you went to school, or that you got an associate's degree first. just say School name - B.S/B.A. Computer Science

>runescape
man everyone's played runescape and that's pretty normal

But its my little pony. My main concern would be handling my shit if it came up and not looking like a sperg

Although I guess if you can pull it off, you would get bonus points for confidence

no he should replace it with
Bachelor's of Computer "Science"

>PostreSQL
Majority of people on hiring polled said they automatically reject CVs with spelling and grammatical errors.

Also,
>saved a company a bunch of money and time
sounds stupid and childish.

here.

I'll post my resume as an example after I edit and anonymize it a bit. I have two versions, currently. One that focuses on my experience from the perspective of an automotive environment (which is where I have past experience), and another version that's more generalized and speaks more about my soft skills learned from those positions, that would be applicable anywhere.

(I'm still in university for CS, and don't have any professionally notable experience in programming yet, unfortunately. Just some minor toying around with C from last semester, and basic experience with LSL in SecondLife.)

You could say you just did it for the experience opportunity, and skirt around actually being a fan of the series.

This, though. Holy shit. I'm feeling really kind right now, user, and would offer to rewrite your resume to be less shitty, but I assume you don't want to share contact info with some asshole on Sup Forums.

>Work experience
>Volunteer experience

Nobody gives a shit whether you programmed for BoringCorp or for Doctors Without Borders. Move these into a single section called Experience, and yes, make sure you attach their names.

Also, the formatting. As other anons have said, this looks like garbage to be turned into a minimum-wage job at McDonald's. Look at the Deedy template on Github that fucking everyone uses in CS; if anything, it'll show that you're within the HN-consuming hipster segment of CS, which signals familiarity.

First it's "demonstrate how what you did was a benefit for the company you worked for and how specifically you contributed to their goals" and now it's "it's stupid and childish to point out that you saved time and work by automating something", which fucking one is it?

It seems really dry and boring, try to make it look like you actually have an interest in the field, show that you have done background research on the company you are applying to as well. Usually they really appreciate it if you can link your skills to what they need as well.

This is the automotive version.

I basically copied the layout and design from another user a few years ago. Not saying you should do the same, but... Basically you should do the same, once you find a design that you like.

Also, you might check out Gayle Laakmann McDowell's resume and interview advice.

gayle.com/career-advice/

Thanks. Just curious, you recommend Houston, would you also similarly recommend Dallas?

go to Ukraine

>"it's stupid and childish to point out that you saved time and work by automating something", which fucking one is it?

m8, the point that user was trying to make is that the wording is childish. But the action described is great. (Though it's also kind of arbitrary and meaningless, unless you can provide hard numbers to back it up. As you can see in my resume () I showed a "20%" improvement over company standards. I mentioned the percentage specifically because I think that has a bigger impact than just saying that I saved two minutes.)

Also, not saying my resume is perfect, but I think it's a good step up from yours. (And if anyone has critique on my resume, I'd love to hear it.)

>ohio university
nice mate, just graduated from there myself

this is pretty much what I did and I got two jobs and a few offers and still get bothered by recruiters.

i find knowing people and linkedin seem to be more important than your resume.

keep in mind following work experience i have similar formatted blocks of projects with links to source and a short description going into the second page. also i use a lot less words in my job descriptions and executive summary. I basically just fucked around with \lipsum* to generate some bs text to fill it up

w2c nerdy friends? (not neckbeards, tho) The commute really sucks, and I feel drains a lot of opportunities to be social.

Also, advice on getting experience at the school? Are any of the student clubs/organizations worth looking in to?

And congrats on graduating.

Honestly I would hire that guy immediately

>not neckbeards, tho
good luck with that. There's a robotics club i think, a mathematics club? game dev club, gaming club, and weeb club if you're into those, also specifically a League of Legends club and a Smash club. I think there's a card/boardgame shop in athens if you're into magic or yugioh or whatever.

As far as experience goes, I'm not too sure on that. You can sometimes work under a professor during the summer in a research position (which I never did). There's also a lot of internship/co-op opportunities if you use bobcat careerlink or go to the career fairs in the ARC/Stocker, normally one a semester.

And danke.
Where are you commuting from, btw? I commuted my last year, was about a 40 minute drive -- not too bad honestly, and now my job is located in Athens so I get to keep doing it.

Anyway. Here's the generalized version. Notice that I've slightly changed the wording here and there, cropped out some of the automotive shit, and added in volunteer experience to (hopefully) seem more appealing to other shit jobs I might apply to.

(This resume is probably still shit to be applying to anything with regards to programming stuff, but meh. Hopefully I'll find something to stuff under my belt in the next two or three years that would be relevant.)

Mmm. I suppose I'll have to peek at the robotics club, though I'm not terribly interested in hardware, specifically. But it's something, at least.

Bleh. I was hoping to do that this summer, but I've been struggling a lot the past two semesters, so... I just barely skimmed by with a 2.0 GPA thanks to my gen eds.

I was diagnosed with ADD and started Adderall the last Friday before finals, so it was a bit too late to make a difference! But the Adderall has definitely been helpful, and I think I'll do well going forward, especially since the majority of my classes now are CS related. (I carried a ~98 through Kelsey's Intro to C. Apparently one of the two top scores. The class was stupid easy, but apparently the rest of the class held 70s and below? Kelsey was also kind of a poor teacher, desu.)

Ahhh. wasn't going to say, but I'm in Lancaster, so it's just shy of an hour commute for me.

I had Kelsey for CS3000, funny prof but not really good.
Good luck in your next semesters, hopefully the adderall lets you keep your GPA up.

>was hoping to do that this summer

Oh, right. Meant to say, you have to have a 3.0 or above to take on student jobs and research positions. So yeah. FML.

I didn't know where to find the tutoring center last semester, but I'll be taking advantage of it for calc 1. Reagan's class was absolutely fucking brutal. It didn't help that he didn't lecture much, and just had us work on homework instead. So, I didn't learn shit in that class. I'm hoping I'll have a more relatable teacher this fall.

your resume looks like pure trash, learn to use TeX

Eh, he tried to be funny, but... He just kinda stumbled over himself most of the time, imo.

What are you working on now? What programming or IT jobs are even available in the Athens area? I know Imgur got its start there, but I don't know if they still have any facilities in the area? Beyond that, everything seems pretty bleak for CS/IT job prospects outside of central Columbus.

>computer science is supposed to be the most modern science
[citation needed]

Found a job in Big Data(specifically Python/Java/SQL/Apache Hadoop stuff), you could probably find the company if you did some googling -- they opened an office in Athens quite recently and hired recent graduates for the past year or so.
And yeah, there's not a lot in the area. I also had an interview in New Concord and one in Dayton, think they were both software dev positions, but didn't want to move so just accepted this one.

epique.

would hire immediately.

would you accept $120k/yr starting?

Look for a better looking template. If you have a pile of CV's, you throw everyrhing away whuch does not make a good first impression. Your's looks like you were too lazy to put the effort into styling it a bit.

Technical skills should go just under education. Because people care about your degree the most, what skills you have second, work experience third.