/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice:
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in >Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread -

Idol trash approves of OP.
What's your setup like, user?

How do I mod my headphones to have more technical resolution?

I, like you, have audio gear with only .2 dB of deviation, which is inaudible to the human ear.

Brilliant Pebbles

>technical ability in gear doesn't exist
Reminder that you can make 50 cent earbuds sound like HD800s with EQ.

What is the second best headphone behind the HD600?

You EQ it into some cheap earbuds.

Nth for all headphones are exactly the same once EQd

All headphones are the same.

Pay anything more than $5 for headphones and you're just paying for EQ settings.

Hi i am from /csg/

ALL YOUR STUFF IS OVERPRICED (for what it does)

IF YOU CAN'T MEASURE IT IN SI UNITS IT'S NOT REAL

>Zetsuboushita!
Whatever has more technical ability.
If you ignore technical ability.

That's nice. Retard.

Oh, you moved from resolution to ability now. What is technical ability? Is it frequency response, distortion? Impulse response? What should I look for when looking for a headphone with good technical abilities?

enjoy ur ear cancer lmao

>look at these people with actual jobs--I mean these retards with good headphones!
>my Skullcandies sound just as good when EQ'd!
/hpg/ - Headphone General

It's a trial. Technical Ability is just measuring your level of faith.
The faithful will find sound nirvana. The non-believers are just pitiful.
But Technical Ability is merciful. They will all be forgiven and welcome to the true path, once they finally see the light of Technical Ability.

It's like athletic ability, it's how good the headphone can perform.

Whoa dude you're so clever and taunting! Stop bullying me!! >__<

If you don't use Skullcandies or cheaper models, you are a hypocrite and nothing you say holds weight.

Oh fuck, was it resolution? I must have changed it at some point, my bad.
It's not like I'm full of shit.

Skullcandies are great sound quality, just shitty build quality.
Wish people would stop shitting on them when they like Hifiman.

For real? I've tried at least one model, no idea what it was called but it sounded pretty bad. I thought they were awful all around.

That's fair. So like in an anthlete I can measure his strength, speed or stamina, what do I measure in headphones to find out its abilities?

I'm just asking you to explain it to me, so I can better choose my next headphones when the ones I have inevitably break, or when I become really rich. I tried looking around for "technical ability" on the internet, but nobody talks about it. No reviewers, not even head-fi or other forums. I'm sure you can explain, or at least link me somewhere to someone who knows.

>everything that matters is measured FR
>"so why do you EQ your headphones?"
>I preffer paying more for the same results

no i just enjoy real hifi like ribbon tweeters horns and digital crossovers and monster subs

iems rock for on the go

hifi is true endgame

cans suck - the hardware and amps are ridiculous for the price - sorry you guys cant make in real noise in your basements ans cuck sheds

What headphones do you own?

Technical ability doesn't exist and can't be measured, which is why you should use 50 cent Chinese earbuds. You use those, right?

These. Sounds better than Sennheiser Orpheus after I tweak their FR with EQ.

Well no, I guess I fell for the nonexistent technical ability meme. Thanks for enlightening me, but why were you pretending technical ability exists a couple posts back?

What's the point of using open headphones if soundstage can't be measured?

Guess I was brainwashed by those pesky audiophools, haha :) Let's enjoy our disposable Chinese earbuds together, my enlightened objectivist friend.

Attaboy!

So, SMSL SD793-II.
Good idea for Sennheiser HD650/xx?

Fuck you

Just joined the drop for the 6XX hnnnng

>paying $200 for EQ settings

Topping D7
Shchiit Jot
Or Audio-DG NFB-11

Which one?

Sennheiser always puts extra technical abilities in their headphones, it's worth it.

You're right, I should.have gotten $10 shitphones from Wal-Mart and eq'd them tomsound like HD800s

>still shitposting when he doesn't actually use $5 headphones
??? get a life lol?

Depends on your load.
Chances are, you'd be fine with a DAC-X6 or Fulla 2.

HD580

All shitposting aside congrats, $200 for the HD650 is worth af

I would say beats since Dr dre invented the headphone

Thanks mate, just have to wait a while but I'm sure it will be worth the wait. Now I have to start looking into amps and dac.

So what's everyone listening to and with what tonight?

Mexico v Jamaica, with speakers

The sad thing is that there are legitimate technical aspects to a headphone that influence the sound beyond just a frequency response graph, that's also why they're often measured. You, or whoever the original bullshitter was, could've admitted that he was actually talking out of his ass instead of going "Well if you don't believe in my made up words that means you must think the only difference between chinkshit and expensive headphones is an EQ setup!!!" like a retard.

What is the best app for music on Android OS?

Right, I guess someone who doesn't know what the Scoville scale is also can't tell if one food is spicier than another.

I asked you equally worthless questions because there's no point talking to an autistic idiot like you.

While I'm honestly not sure if detail retrieval can be empirically measured, it's obviously audible to anyone with ears. People who care about sound and delusional audiophiles are not necessarily the same, you retard. Grow up.

Yeah but what's technical resolution?

>using layman terms for something that can be perceived by most people is wrong
nah ur a child i hope someday u get humbled by ppl better and smarter than u

I'm not disagreeing with you. You assumed that because I don't believe in "technical resolution/ability", I must obviously be on the other side of the fence.

You can obviously tell which food is spicier than another. But what you did was taste it, and said one of them tastes better because it measures higher on the Richter scale. Then your ego couldn't take someone calling you out on your bullshit so you decided to double down. You could've just shrugged, not reply and move on, nobody would've been able to tell. Or said "I don't know the technicalities, but headphones aren't just frequency response graphs". Anything. Instead you keep embarrassing yourself.

How can you tell this pepper is spicier than that lettuce without measuring its Scoville heat unit?

I think things such as instrument separation, timbre, detail retrieval etc. are easily noticed by having decent ears, like you'd notice if one food is spicier than another. I refer to that set of a headphone's ability to reproduce sounds "technical ability" because I think it's an apt term.

I even wrote a paragraph explaining myself. Yet you continued this entire shit flinging contest because you don't like my choice of terms and think it equates me to a Head-Fi audiophile.

Your needlessly antagonistic agenda was clear from the start, and I was right not to treat you as a rational and civil adult.

>Fake Beats
what the fuck
is this the true meaning of niggerbass?

Yamaha Tanglewood

What units do you measure technical ability in?

>hey i can hear more detail in this more expensive headphone
>DID HE JUST SAY DETAIL?
>!!! AUDIOPHILE ALERT !!! SIC EM BOIZ
/hpg/

See, you could've said those two sentences, word for word, the first time someone asked what "technical resolution" is. You don't need to be an audio engineer and know the exact technical terms, but you can't also make up your own words and assume everyone knows what you mean by them.
You're a funny guy, though, and if I owned a fedora, I'd give you a tip and an upvote for that crap.

In chinese earbuds. You take the headphone's technical abilities, divide it with a gas station earbud and you have your TA unit.

>All these plebs listening to schizophonic sources
Disgusting.

>not listening to live performances in your own home
Never gonna be HiFi m8

If you don't have the exact same preferences and setup as me you're a idiot

If you don't automatically fully comprehend what I mean by my made up terms, you're literally a subhuman imbecile that stands for everything I disagree with

>audiophile
Audiophool

>See, you could've said those two sentences
Except this is Sup Forums, not an academic or civilized setting, and I don't assume both parties are rational or fair. You're a faggot but you're at least reasonable, and I have no reason to expect this out of anyone.

I could have said this and more just to have 3 people ask me "How do you know it exists if it can't be measured? Do you use magic rocks too?" or do what I did, which was funnier and less of an investment. I think it was a logical choice.

Also how the fuck is "technical ability" not easy to understand? You act like I called it "multidynamic soundscaping" or something for fuck's sake.

As for "resolution" I just called it that because I was bored and felt like using a different word.

I prefer supra-aural.

>multidynamic soundscaping
Vendors should start using this term in their advertisements

>Supra-aural
What's that again?

You can't have multidynamic soundscaping without multibit DACs because each bit provides a single dynamic soundscape.

over the ear.

Different wording for "full sized" or "over ear".

When you say "multidynamic soundscaping" I would simply not know what the fuck you're talking about. When you say "technical ability", I get an idea what it could be, but I don't know if you share that idea. It's not a term commonly used in the community, I'm not a native English speaker, so I prefer to be cautious rather than assume shit.
Full disclaimer, I wasn't even one of the first few people asking, I got on this ride when the headphones = chinkshit + EQ started and nobody could explain what technical resolution/ability is.

actually full sized is circum-aural, supra-aural is on-ear.

circumaural = on ear
supra-aural = around ear

Technical ability is clearly measured by similarity to the HD600.

That's circum-aural, around the ear.

Are they more comfortable for you? I have on-ears, I'm happy with them, but I couldn't have them on my head for 8 hours.

oops I mean
supra-aural = on ear
circumaural = around ear

Fuck, let's use over ear and on ear.
They're less confusing

The better the technician is at bringing the sound closer to the HD600, the higher the technician's ability is.

You probably meant
>the higher his technical ability is

deltadynamic soundscaping > multidynamic soundscaping

BEYERdynamic soundscaping >>>>>>>>> all

Just got mine in the mail just now. Build quality is good and the removable cable is a bonus. Super comfy and the sound is pretty good.

Coming from the ATHAD500x's the ATHAD500x are more open and the bass is more vibrant but all in all these are worth while

These are some good trustyfucks.

Hey /hpg/, I need some advice. I've owned the DT880s for some time and I'm not quite happy with the sound. Can anyone recommend me headphones that sound more orange? Preferably with a more matte bass, too. I love the cascading on the 880 but I'd like to try something with a bit more curve now.

I'd suggest the HD600. They sound very orange, almost to the point of being brown and the cascading and curve is beautiful. It also trickles wonderfully. However, the bass is still somewhat glossy, somewhat of a sanded porcelain feel.

>orange
>matte bass
>cascading
>having more/less curve
Describe these. Don't assume we know wtf you're talking about.
Been lurking here for a while, but it's the first time I see these terms.

>removable cable
>but permanent earpads
why Philips why?

so retarded. I would have gotten a pair just for kicks otherwise

That's my biggest problem with them. Bass should be visceral so I want it to be at least the third shade of midnight blue, but it only extends to jade and makes it sound less hyperdynamic.

Pads are removable. They're clipped on, but you won't be able to fit any pads without the clip, which are glued onto the pads.

Is any headphone technically better than the HD800? The trebles make my ears bleed but there is so much detail I wanna puke.

>this fucking post

Not being lurking enough, that is "ironic" shitposting.

I personally prefer bass with adaptive sharpening, but they're so rare nowadays that you may as well settle for static softened bass.

I give up

Your loss. If you can't understand these simplistic terms, then you may as well leave this general. Gee, it sure is summer, huh?