Hidden, unremovable addons in firefox?

Why are there hidden addons in firefox that I can't remove? The only show themselves if I leave the addons page open for a while after an update. If I close the page or reopen it later, the addons don't show themselves.

Note that this is on a freshly installed ubuntu system with no third party software (bar the addons shown in the pic, which were downloaded and installed directly from mozilla's official addon repository)

Why is mozilla hiding these addons, and why can I not disable them? Also, the fuck is "Follow-on search telemetry"?

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox/Shield
github.com/mozilla/followonsearch/blob/master/docs/METRICS.md
mozilla.org/en-US/privacy/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Here's the pic when I reload the tab or reopen it later. Is mozilla a freedom-disrespecting botnet now?

You could have googled this

Humor me. I didn't find anything when I searched. What keywords?

>mfw all these extensions are now considered "legacy" and won't work or even be installable in Firefox 57

wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox/Shield
github.com/mozilla/followonsearch/blob/master/docs/METRICS.md

These are system addons for rapidly pushing protections against attacks, managing user studies, and collecting telemetry. You can view all the addons in the about:debugging#addons page

You can disable them in about:config

Thanks for helping out. I removed the follow-on search spyware addon from "extensions.systemAddonSet", but is there a way to verify that it is no longer being loaded?

Only if they do not update to the new format, which is very unlikely.
"I made one of the most used extensions and have been maintaining it for years. Oh what's that, Firefox is changing the extension system? Oh well I guess I can't do anything now lmao"

>Oh well I guess I can't do anything now lmao
that's literally the case for some addons because the webextensions API doesn't support doing the things those addons do. Classic Theme Restorer is a prominent example.

>he installed (((ubuntu))) and communistfox
it's almost as bad as Mint

>(((managing user studies)))
>(((telemetry)))

(((go))) (((back))) (((to))) (((Sup Forums)))

this is really bad

he may be leaking from pol but that doesn't invalidate what he's saying

>leftist get trigger by ((()))
>ignore argument
>attempts to change the subject to avoid people realizing firefox is 100x worse botnet than chrome

>worse
proof?

In Nim it's just
import strutils, sequtils

for w in stdin.readLine.splitWhitespace.map(proc(x: string): string = "(((" & $x & ")))"):
stdout.write(w & " ")

echo()

>implying only leftists can't stand Sup Forums alt-right cucks

>ignore argument
what argument? you literally just used as much buzzwords as possible and echoed a few words

>firefox is 100x worse botnet than chrome
This is just funny. Both browsers use telemetry and both are guilty of collecting data from users, yes.
One of them uses the data to power one of the biggest companies in the world, sell it to their own advertiser clients and uses it to improve their fucking AI tracking technologies.
The other is just a small, non-profit, literally irrelevant internet company which is working on a browser and an email client.
Hmm, I guess I can't decide whom to trust my data with.

Regular users do not give a shit, they would give everything to Google just for the sake of convenience.
If you are autistic enough to care you can easily avoid most of that shit through config files and extensions on both browsers.
If you are even more autistic you'd just use something like IceCat to completely detach from that shit.
I don't get what your argument even is to be honest

Your wall of text is insulting to life itself. Next time think twice before writing

>lmao nice ignoring of my argument, leftist
>respond to the argument
>lmao i don't have patience to read

Please go back to your (((echo chamber))), you won't have to deal with opposing opinions on there.

1. they are preinstalled addons. they are usually in the main installation folder of FF, in this case somewhere in /usr
2. stop with the reddit spacing.

>m-muh small company that loves to make free software xD
>argument
pathetic

I am not saying that Mozilla is an innocent child that would never do anything wrong
It's just that they just can't have as much power as Google, while you claim that Firefox is somehow 100 times worse.

>while you claim that Firefox is somehow 100 times worse.
because they lie to people and make it harder to remove telemetry and other shit
If you don't know how to use about:config it's safer and better to use chrome with all kinds of telemetry and anti-malware ''report'' (which is telemetry too) enable than firefox

I am that neonazi racist kkk user that triggers leftypol and should go back to Sup Forums

Still I'll recommend a few things if you plan to use firefox
toolkit.telemetry.archive.enabled to false
toolkit.telemetry.enabled to false
toolkit.telemetry.unified to false
datareporting.healthreport.uploadEnabled to false
datareporting.policy.dataSubmissionEnabled to false
browser.send_pings - false
browser.send_pings.require_same_host - to true
toolkit.telemetry.server - delete the string
network.prefetch-next - to true
webgl.disabled - to true
browser.safebrowsing.downloads.enabled - to false
browser.safebrowsing.downloads.remote.enabled - to false
browser.safebrowsing.enabled - to false
browser.safebrowsing.maleware.enabled - to false

IMPORTANT: toolkit.telemetry configs should set to false manually even if you never allowed telemetry. It writes to your disk(firefox folder) telemetry files even if you previously set toolkit.telemetry.enabled to false

>because they lie to people
No they don't. That's fucking illegal.
They openly state that they do collect information and even what they use it for. Just like everyone else.
mozilla.org/en-US/privacy/

>make it harder to remove telemetry and other shit
Even if it's completely impossible to remove telemetry, if you are actually autistic enough to care, as I said, you would use something like IceCat which is built with those things excluded. It's not like you don't have a choice.

don't use ubuntu faget

>SHIELD
do you live in the Marvel universe or something user

That webm. Saved.

not a real girl (male) it's a trap2
we meta nao

I know.

1. About:config
2. plugin.scan.plid.all set to false

LULZ IT'S A MANG xDDDDDDD

holy shirt and why is there no outrage ala windows 10 telemetry? there are add ons literally hiding themselves, doing telemetry and where is the outrage firefox users? everything is fine so long as you agree hey?