BSD is not meant for desktop daily user, right?

BSD is not meant for desktop daily user, right?
Wrong
trueos.org/handbook/trueos.html

Other urls found in this thread:

dragonflybsd.org/~labthug/handbook/linuxemu.html
slideshare.net/iXsystems/jordan-hubbard-free-bsd-the-next-10-years
youtube.com/watch?v=Mri66Uz6-8Y
freebsd.org/doc/handbook/linuxemu.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

That shitty DE is the main reason why I'll never use it. Plus it's based on the previous release of FreeBSD

>Lumina
>Bad
You have 50 seconds to tell me your DE or your comment will be treated as spam
I bet 400 dollars you are a KDE kike shill

looks cool desu

Doubt there's any reason to use it over Ubuntu 14.04.

Or is there?

Only mentally challenged people will call Lumina tolerable

whats wrong with KDE

how does the program?
is it compatible with linuc package?

>still no ASLR
freebsd developers were a mistake

That website's a hot mess of nothingburger. If you already know what BSD is, there is no information that you haven't already known for years. If you don't know what BSD is, nothing on the website explains it in language that doesn't devolve into geek buzzwords by the second sentence.

Front page needs one short description that says something like "This used to be called PC-BSD, we just gave it a new name."

Only way to install is by DVD.

there is no liveDVD option to test & determine compatibility. You must begin an install and during the install process you are given the option to check if your hardware will work or not.

Fucking retarded.

No option to install from USB, no option for a liveUSB or a persistent liveUSB for testing and gathering data. You have to set up a system for install, burn a DVD and start an install, then sit at your desk with pencil & paper and try to write down everything slamming across your screen at light speed while the install is taking place.

Fucking retarded.

>no support for my year-old gpu, wayland never, etc
Nty

>Ubuntu 14.04
>Amazon version
>He hasn't upgraded to Ubuntu 16

>there is no liveDVD option to test & determine compatibility
dd bs=4M if=/path/to/archlinux.iso of=/dev/sdx status=progress && sync

Video card support, for instance, is hardly ever claimed in any BSD documentation, while Linux documentation talks about it a lot. That seems weird, until you realize that in the BSD worldview, the OS isn't supporting any of those video cards; X is, which is a separate package. So you can use any video card under BSD that you can under Linux, since neither the BSD kernel nor the Linux kernel is supporting the video card. Now, that's not strictly true, particularly in some of the more esoteric reaches of 3D and DRI, which require more direct hardware ties and more grubbing in the kernel itself. Of course, I don't follow that, so I don't even know what the current state of the world is in FreeBSD, to say nothing of Linux. Maybe BSD doesn't have support on a par with Linux on that. Maybe it does. I dunno, and it'll probably change between the time I write this and the time you read it.

But most hardware is simple. Most common IDE and SCSI mass storage controllers work just fine. Even most RAID controllers are supported to some extent. Most network cards, wired and wireless, most sound cards, some crypto-assist cards...

But it is simple. You don't care what hardware the OS supports, as long as it supports what you have. Read the hardware support lists and/or just try booting it up. You might be surprised.

>try to run it in VirtualBox and QEMU and it won't even boot on either of them

This is absolutely unacceptable. I don't even have to look at the source to know it's useless spaghetti code held together by boogers and glue. I tried both available 64 bit Intel images. TrueOS is a joke. Neck yourself, hippie.

Not him but Lumina looks like shit
Arch + Budgie user

>when freebsd exists
for what purpose? everyone who's savvy enough to know about the BSD family won't be using a dumbed down version of it

Literally the only time I hear about ASLR on any OS is when there's a news article saying how easily it was defeated, I never understood the point of it at all.

I don't think it can be bypassed if you have a position-independent executable + full RELRO (without an information leak or fork() bruteforcing, that is)

I don't know if they still do this but when they were PC-BSD their ISO had both installers on it, you could have a desktop system from packages right from the installer or install FreeBSD stock standard if you wanted that too. A nice disc to have around either way.

I can't take anyone seriously when they complain about lack of GPU support when there are only 2 major manufacturers out there, 1 has notoriously bad driver support and the other has notoriously good support. Nvidia has pushed out drivers for FreeBSD forever now just like they do for every other major platform, just like a hardware vendor should, you make the hardware, you write the drivers and port the utils. Meanwhile at AMD they struggled to handle Windows alone for many years. I'm not even gonna consider Intel in this space yet.

lumina (pic related)

I feel like all gimmicky security measures like these are just a stopgap, which is fine since people know that going in, nobody expects it to be the crux of their safety, but maybe it will delay or annoy malicious agents, the problem with ASLR specifically is that instead of days it seems like it only ever wastes at most like an hour or 2 before someone inevitably breaks it. You see this stuff often with things like video game console operating systems, some of which use FreeBSD components. In less constricted environments I feel like you're already fucked if someone has arbitrary code execution anyway, or even just shell access.

That all being said I can't see any reason not to roll an implementation in but I'd have a hard time myself being motivated to do it knowing that eventually someone is going to break your system easily and your name is gonna be attached to that.

People whine because Nvidia isn't pro-FOSS, while AMD and Intel are a bit more pro-FOSS but have much worse driver support. In reality the biggest use of BSD (and GNU/Linux) is commercial applications like embedded devices and servers so it makes sense for Nvidia to focus on commercial support when making drivers. People get upset when companies don't take the idea of Unix or Unix-like desktops seriously enough. There isn't any money in the idea of the FOSS Unix desktop, if you want to develop for BSD you're going to have to acknowledge that it's primarily kept afloat by proprietary corporations.

Poor mans Linux tbqh

I agree they're not perfect but they're still valuable since you can't just audit all code that is running on your system
>instead of days it seems like it only ever wastes at most like an hour or 2 before someone inevitably breaks it
with fork() bruteforcing, sure
I don't think it's feasible to break it on a 64bit system otherwise
>I can't see any reason not to roll an implementation in
the hardenedbsd team already did that
the patches were stuck in review for a long time and the team kinda just gave up on getting them merged in I think

>acknowledge that it's primarily kept afloat by proprietary corporations.
This goes for legitimately everything, even the FSF. I don't know why people are so afraid of capitalism when it gets results. We have 1 commercial consumer focused Unix system left because the rest all went bankrupt or stopped caring about consumers, at the end of the day someone needs to pay developer's salary.

BSDfag here and TrueOS is fucking trash.

post screen with timestamp or false-flag

macOS is 2% BSD and 98% bloatware.
Everyone knows it
Not that this isn't good, it's actually more stable than mint, ubuntu and windows, but still mac today is a piece of bloatware garbage

GhsotBSD is the best

why the fuck would i take a picture of my screen

BSD has been cia funded for years, why would you used this trash?

you are not using BSD
you are false-flag

wow and linux has been NSA funded for years

the competition between three letter agencies

>download.jpg
you tried

Can programs made for mac work for BSD?

fine then

>old freebsd with a bunch of bloat on top of it
I'd rather use NetBSD.

I use MATE

do you mean like stuff that comes with OSX or what

if so, then no, and its for reasons completely unrelated to them using BSD (proprietary APIs like cocoa and all)

>X Window System support is available for most graphics cards, using the X.Org server. As with other free operating systems it is highly recommended that Nvidia cards are avoided since this vendor continues to show tremendous resistance towards releasing information that would allow X.Org to support their hardware properly.

why you niggas care so much? trueos is not bad by anymeans

>Not using OpenBSD
LMAOing @ ur life

What's the point of netbsd and dragonflybsd? Whats special about it?

it's a shame lumina is so trash because we could use more Qt based desktop environments that are portable

>OpenBSD
>inferior to TrueOS
citation needed

>netbsd
embedded stuff or something
>dragonflybsd
has a microkernel

bad news: FreeBSD will include systemd features in the next 5 years
good news: TrueOS, TempleOS and Gentoo are systemd free for the next 30 years

>has a microkernel
does it? if anything that's minix

minix today is pretty much netbsd with a microkernel

>DragonFly's kernel is a hybrid, containing features of both monolithic and microkernels, such as the message passing capability of microkernels enabling larger portions of the OS to benefit from protected memory, as well as retaining the speed of monolithic kernels for certain critical tasks.
I thought it did

CAN I USE LINUX SOFTWARE IN BSD?
CAN I PLAY LINUX GAYMES IN BSD?
if not then BSD is for .. who uses BSD anyways?

Also, do BSD has wm like i3wm?
If not then it's not for power user like me.

Captcha: natural stop
Yep, even captcha agrees.

is GhostBSD better than OpenBSD for desktop/small server?

Dragonflybsd is said to have excellent linux binary support.

>Also, do BSD has wm like i3wm?
yes

even better, it has cwm

you most likely use bsd licenced software without even knowing you mongoloid

i3 is BSD

>installing linux on bsd
kek

I bet it's waste of time. Like: try to install some linux sw, and then start googling and fixing everything, realising that this is what rest of your life will be; trying to run LINUX sw on BSD!
You're memeing, aren't you?

What cwm have what i3wm doesn't?

P.s. don't get me wrong, I would gladly switch to BSD (away from fucking systemd and poeterring!), But only if I can use same sw and won't have issues with drivers (Nvidia, i.e.).

>What cwm have what i3wm doesn't?
minimalism AND floating windows! uses almost no ram

>using njewdia card on pure secure BSD system
found the autist

No one is talking about license.
Who's mongoloid now, huh???

I had no choice but either, pick nvidia or no vidya!
Because of cryptofucks

OpenBSD used to have binary compatability with linux software before they removed it, I haven't heard any complaints about DragonflyBSD.
dragonflybsd.org/~labthug/handbook/linuxemu.html

frankly compatibility layers are a waste of time and pretty much just band-aid solutions

encourage free, portable software instead

Tfw lumina is my waifu DE

Also, secure operating system is meme.
No one cares to hack BSD users, because less people use BSD than Linux, now that's a joke!
Linux is at least relative in servers, embedded systems and supercomputers.
What does BSD have..?

what point is there to using that over linux?

>installing nvdia or amd in a bsd
>not using a pure bsd for shitposting and managing servers
You are a mistake

>Red hat is at least relative in servers, embedded systems and supercomputers.
what did the liberal jew mean by this?

Are we still in the thread "BSD as desktop OS"?

And due to Red Hat Linux is better supported. Red Hat still sucks, but it's not all black and white.

>better supported

Lol no

So according to you BSD has better support than BSD?
Despite that it has less users and less relevant in real world than Linux?

update kernel pls

I meant *than Linux

your grammar is so awful that i read every post you make with some russian accent

is this -RELEASE?

>FreeBSD will include systemd features in the next 5 years
No it won't, ever.

by support you mean 0 day bloatware added to kernel by red hat pajeets?

Windows has more users than Linux.

The key is the BSD kernel code is still readable and small enough to be auditable. Linux kernel is trash in comparison.

slideshare.net/iXsystems/jordan-hubbard-free-bsd-the-next-10-years

Yes. They are creating systemd-like features
eventually it will be a systemd but under the bsd brand

There are no secure OS.

jordan hubbard is literally an apple shill

Original post by german globalist anti-white hipster systemd creator

Here's a video of Jordan Hubbard's talk on the next 10 years of FreeBSD that I posted about earlier. The interesting bits about init systems (and where he indicates the necessity of having something like systemd in place) starts around 27:23.

youtube.com/watch?v=Mri66Uz6-8Y

So what is the reason y'all are installing BSD? Is it only to flaunt your tech dicks on the internet?

>For instance, Poettering has advocated speeding up Linux development at the expense of breaking compatibility withPOSIXand otherUnix-likeoperating systemssuch as theBSDs.
Good luck with that

which is exactly like what the globalist jew behind freebsd wants

freebsd.org/doc/handbook/linuxemu.html
FreeBSD has a compatability layer for Linux binaries similar to the Plan9 emu and the Windows subsytem for Linux.

i3wm has "minimalism" (means nothing) AND floating windows soooooooooo you're retarded

That would break compatibility completely, resulting in complete lack of software for BSD.

Well but people are advocating for systemd
>oh it's not a big deal xD
they will advocate for the integration too, even if it means FreeBSD becoming Windows 10/Wine garbage

German cuck's own words
>Not having to care about portability has two big advantages: we can make maximum use of what the modern Linux kernel offers these days without headaches -- Linux is one of the most powerful kernels in existence, but many of its features have not been used by the previous solutions. And secondly, it greatly simplifies our code and makes it shorter: since we never need to abstract OS interfaces the amount of glue code is minimal, and hence what we gain is a smaller chance to create bugs, a smaller chance of confusing the reader of the code (hence better maintainability) and a smaller footprint

>better maintainability
HEHEHE

That picture's from 2002. Remember Linux in 2002? It was clunky as fuck.

I've found Fedora, Debian, and even Mint to be much better Unix systems now than fucking apple shits. You can at least do what you want in Linux.

give me that wallpaper

FreeBSD is great but please don't shill TrueOS. It is hot garbage, if you really are so shit that you need a preinstalled DE on FreeBSD then use GhostBSD
It's bad. But it has some features for zfs i like
A little
There is a live disk and there is a usb image but TrueOS is still bad.

I will never forget the first time I went to a friends house and used a PPC mac, I was legitimately fucking stunned at how fast it was compared to whatever bullshit Windows 2K system I had at home. A fond memory.

>It is hot garbage
because?

>no responses
POTTERY

Because some people prefer the BSD license to GPL. Also BSD is a complete OS+kernel, while GNU/Linux has the kernel and OS developed by two completely different groups.