What's with the linux circlejerk here? Windows seems perfectly fine to me

What's with the linux circlejerk here? Windows seems perfectly fine to me.

Other urls found in this thread:

support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2700567/windows-update-freezes-when-you-install-updates-in-windows-8--windows
docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/configuration/windows-diagnostic-data
docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/configuration/basic-level-windows-diagnostic-events-and-fields
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

are you on dial-up? updates are pretty quick for me

Better question:

What's with all the Windows shill threads that all popped up at once?

Did r/windows10 stage an invasion and no one spoke up?

hmmmmm

it's largely better than windows
the only thing it's really lacking in 2017 is third-party software support and better hybrid graphics management

I don't see what's gained by moving to Linux. I use Adobe software, which isn't on Linux, and play plenty of video games that aren't available on Linux.

then it's not for you

Who is it for?

sysadmins / programmers / computer security people

What do programmers gain by switching to Linux?

A functional programming environment that isn't controlled by Apple, mostly

TIL windows is controlled by apple

What makes the Linux programming environment more functional than Windows?

Have you ever tried running tools like Composer or Drush on windows?

It's slow as hell compared to Linux (or even Mac).

No, I'm a Java programmer

>>>/reddit/
Windows is laughable at best when it comes to delivering a programmers entire set of tools. Mac and Linux are about equal in my view, but Linux isn't cucked to Apple, so I use Linux.

>Windows is laughable at best when it comes to delivering a programmers entire set of tools
How so?

>Awesome free and open source software and tools

>Customizability and freedom to use it anyway you like
More productivity

>Not being controlled by Jews from Apple and Microsoft

>Stable OS with less shitty bloat and bugs

>Stable OS with less shitty bloat and bugs
Any Linux distribution with systemd (i.e. practically all of them) fits this description

Windows Update shitting itself for anywhere between two to infinity hours is a known issue, actually.

source?

Here's a few things.

1. Not unix-like. Honestly, fuck CMD and fuck PowerShell.

2. Outside Visual Studio, it's all dogshit. Even Notepad++ was revealed by wikileaks to leak plaintext to telemetry.

3. Java is a nightmare.

4. There's a reason so few in Silicon Valley use Windows for work.

>>>Fagbook

>Even Notepad++ was revealed by wikileaks to leak plaintext to telemetry.
oh shit, really?

why is java a nightmare?

what does facebook have to do with windows?

Microsoft:
support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2700567/windows-update-freezes-when-you-install-updates-in-windows-8--windows

This is common knowledge among sysadmins. I'm not sure what other sources to link.

poo in loo

Found the poo. Back to the loo

I would rather say that Sup Forums has nothing to do with Windows. Windows is being mentioned on Sup Forums merely because gaymers are not allowed to discuss gayming hardware on their board.

>windows users training to be mental gymnastics everyday by having to justify using an OS that is constantly sending data about them to Microsoft and the NSA, that strong arms you into stopping whatever you're doing to update (which are absurdly large in size), that doesn't have a tabbed file explorer in 2017, that has a comical filesystem, and has more security vulnerabilities than Cheeto crumbs in your typical Windows user's keyboard

If you have to ask (You) wont get it

sirs, how can you say I do not use the toilet properly merely because I program in a superior language to that of yours? I find this very unfair, sirs

That's win8, not win10

>constantly sending data about them to Microsoft and the NSA
I don't think Windows sends data to the NSA, and anything it sends to Microsoft is just boring telemetry that doesn't reveal much about the actual user

>What's with the Linux circlejerk here
Nothing. Here's nothing to watch. Go along. You saw nothing.

In reality, Windows sends telemetry to thousands of different webhosts that are under contract by Microsoft but not directly Microsoft. There's no telling where your data goes, and the majority of it is metadata which actually can say a lot.

What kind of metadata is it sending?

I don't recall anyone mentioning Windows 10 in this particular reply chain.

linux is fucking shit

Mostly communication metadata, and error reports. I wouldn't be surprised if Win10 came with a keylogger, but I haven't seen proof of that. The things sent to these hosts are a few things that "help" microsoft, and a few blatant spyware features as a little side-dish.

Unix was designed as a research OS for programming r&d. Mac is directly based off Unix, and Linux is indirectly.
Windows is a 32 bit extension of a single user OS that had to have time sharing hacked in and was designed for computers without hard disks.

Can you be a bit more specific about "communication metadata" and "a few things that 'help' microsoft"?

aka being inside the box

Even void and Gentoo (non sysd) are quite stable

What are you doing on this board then?

A few things that help Microsoft means what they tell you it means. No bullshit there.

Other shit is completely useless, such as the number of files you've opened.

Communications metadata refers to what hosts you send data to, the size of the payload, the format, but not the communications itself. Only a few countries (the UK being one of them) actually sniff every byte that flows in and out of the country. America is too big for that.

One of the proven telemetry aggregators of Microsoft is MarkMonitor. You can easily find them with a simple google search, and a reverse who.is search makes bare their connection to Microsoft.

Don't worry, it's fixed now :)

Basically anything Microsoft wants.

These things are collected on all Windows 10 machines:
- times you're on your computer
- all the IP addresses your computer uses
- what apps you have installed on your computer
- information about apps that crash, including core dumps, possibly including private information

These things are collected if you let Windows use the default privacy settings:
- an absolute fuckload of "diagnostic event data" of some sort
- a list of all hardware connected to your computer
- a list of all nearby WLAN networks (read: your physical location)
- when you launch each app and for how long you use it
- which UI elements you click or hover on, in some cases
- text you type into various search boxes
- stroke data for their retarded gesture writing system
- voice clips, in case you feel like using voice input for some reason
- possibly (?) random files off your disk if you use Defender's MAPS thing

Sources:
docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/configuration/windows-diagnostic-data
docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/configuration/basic-level-windows-diagnostic-events-and-fields

Basically, it doesn't collect too much. For now, anyway.

Trolling you

What's the problem with the 10 start menu?
It's pretty comfy, and the click on letters to show the corresponding apps is pretty comfy,

It's fundamentally wrong that most microsoft products are not software compatible to other OS'
MAC at least has stuff in common with every other unix like system. Microsoft is the odd ball so it's all proprietary stuff to shove more money into bill gates wallet when computers should be used to help people, not help fill bills over stuffed wallet.

I been using windows for years and it's ridiculous that the government gave them contracts and built a lot of their infrastructure for PC's and the internet around windows.
The user experience on windows is moving away from personal or utility use it's a consumer product for entertainment that's trying to milk you, I don't want my desktop stealing electricity, processing power, data bandwith, and my time reading it... to send me news updates or advertisements unless I run a program for it to do it specifically. It's an ugly direction it's going.

tahp bayt

>paying for advertisements

Yu have advanced filesystem which can alert you by phone when a single file on your system becomes corrupt and provide self healing data with redundancy.
Have you no idea what a life without dataloss must feel like?

You must be confusing Linux for FreeBSD.

zfs is ported to linux.

Barely.

>What's with the linux circlejerk here? Windows seems perfectly fine to me.
Windows doesn't cut it for me.

>I don't see what's gained by moving to Linux.
> I use Adobe software, which isn't on Linux, and play plenty of video games that aren't available on Linux.
Then don't. But stop claiming that Windows is something I should use.

>3rd party
Everything is "3rd party" in it.

0.7.0 rc4

>muh jails and zfs
While both are nice, that's pretty much all FreeBSD has going for itself.

Use FreeBSD on your file server, and Linux on everything else.

Fuck Linux. Fuck the many development forks...fuck the terminal...fuck .rpm .deb .tar .pup .bin and all the rest...fuck a thousand distro up to and including Hanna Montana Linux (yes it's fucking real)...fuck not just being able to download any Linux program for any Linux distro and click the Fucker and run it (and no that shit about Linux isn't one distro will not fucking fly ever)

Just fuck the whole convoluted and confusing mess...sorry but if even half this shit was fixed I'd get onboard in a heartbeat...but I've got shit to do and bullshitting with an operating system to get shit to do what I want is just something I have time for...sorry but fuck it.

And yes I used Linux a lot back in the day...ubuntu, mint, Mandriva (it has been awhile), fedora and even fucking puppy...and it's just the same shit over and over again.

Look normal people have shit to do other than tech...wife kids 40 to 60 hour a week jobs hobbies...Linux is just too much. Its not one os...and because it's not is why this shit will never get fixed.

We need one OS not 1000...we need standardization for every day desktop usage.

Hence regardless of what Linux offers (and it does offer a lot let's be honest) only servers and hobbyists will ever manage to utilize it.

Everyone else uses Windows...or Mac if they like the taste of dick.

Sorry but botnet or not the normal world has no choice in OS. Android/chrome is the closest we'll ever come to a Linux OS.

Sorry but that's just the way it is.

Fell free to tell me how full of shit I am and year of Linux desktop...blah blah blah...been hearing that shit for a decade and fuck all has changed.

>40 to 60 hour a week jobs hobbies...Linux is just too much. Its not one os...and because it's not is why this shit will never get fixed.
I use Linux at work mate.

Depends on your industry. I did 2 years of comp sci before switching to a creative industry. I'd never use anything but Linux for programming tasks, and never use anything but Windows for the creative software and ease of workflows.

Ideally, I'd prefer my software to run on Linux but it just doesn't because it's probably a pain in the ass to support it.

Either way, I am a Microsoft Man now. Browsing this in Edge and listening to Groove music, my transformation into a beast is complete.

I'm glad maintaining a server has provided you with a stable income...I weld metal for a major auto manufacturer and don't have a lot of time to fuck with shit...

Or maybe you program...it doesn't matter really. Either way congrats but most of us don't touch Linux.

>I'm glad maintaining a server has provided you with a stable income..
I don't maintain a server, I am a software developer.

>I weld metal
So in other words, you're the actual hobbyist here since you only use computers for fun and games, whereas I and many other use it as a crucial part of our livelihoods.

>Either way congrats but most of us don't touch Linux.
This is a niche forum and we discuss topics that are relevant to us. "Most of us" is not a valid argument for anything.

Actually...not really...I used to be a network admin but welding pays more.

Also I said programmer as a second guess so I was right.

Either way glad you make a no doubt fine living but I'm no hobbyist. Not anymore family and all that...no time.

My argument is simply for why most people who aren't professional or hobbyists do not use Linux...time and effort.

Take it or leave it but I'm out for now. Enjoy software development...

I agree with you but you sound like a retard saying "sorry" 50 times. Why are you even apologizing and what for? Also no one cares if "that's the way it is"

Wow nice argument there fagtron.

Hey man, leafs are people just like you and me. Don't be rude.

Actually no it not very niche here...with you gpu threads...smartphone generals...gamer threads...speccy threads....fucking jewelry threads...

Sup Forums is not some dark corner of the web anymore. You're not niche and this place is filled with normies...hence my argument (which I never made one instead simply telling you why...it's an answer not meant to persuade) is completely valid.

>I used to be a network admin but welding pays more.
You're still not using computers professionally, even if you did in the past.

>Also I said programmer as a second guess so I was right.
And your point is... what, exactly? Are you surprised you found someone working in a computer-related profession on Sup Forums or something?

>Either way glad you make a no doubt fine living but I'm no hobbyist. Not anymore family and all that...no time.
If you don't use computers at work (aka not professionally), you pretty much are a hobbyist. That's the definition of being a hobbyist. If you don't spend much time using a computer at all, I'd agree, you are neither.

>My argument is simply for why most people who aren't professional or hobbyists do not use Linux...time and effort.
Your argument is misplaced. This is Sup Forums, where hobbyists, professionals and enthusiasts come to discuss and shitpost. Why do you think your argument about neither of those three group holds any merit here at all? It's completely misplaced, I don't go to welding forums and complain about how welding is a complete waste of time now that 3D printing exist.

t. shilling Pajeet

>Actually no it not very niche here...with you gpu threads...smartphone generals...gamer threads...speccy threads....fucking jewelry threads...
That is niche compared to the general population. It's not like Chad Thundercock and Jenna goes to a cocktail bar to catch some drinks and discuss AMD Ryzen.

>You're not niche and this place is filled with normies..
See above, and see

>updates take 4-5 hours
kek

Because GNU/Linux is free as in FREEdom. And I want to be free.
These corporate fuckers with their goverment ties want to control us as much as they can so we would be obidient consumers who thank Big Brother for convinience that it's bringing in our lives.

>Fuck the many development forks
Why is this a problem? If you don't know what to pick then use ubuntu or something
>fuck the terminal
Why do you feel it's more confusing than windows which loves hiding stuff under a ton of menus?
>rpm .deb .tar .pup .bin
What's wrong with there being filetypes? Are you going to hate on .msi .exe .zip as well?
>fuck not just being able to download any Linux program for any Linux distro and click the Fucker and run it (
.deb which you listed is pretty much that
>Look normal people have shit to do other than tech
Why do you have to spend time with linux? On my system ubuntu justwerks better out of the box than linux does, I don't NEED to tweak anything if I just want to use it like a normal person
>We need one OS not 1000...we need standardization for every day desktop usage.
Isn't ubuntu standard enough for you?

The rest of the stuff you listed aren't even arguments

linux penguin is really cute >.

>implying windows updates taking hours have anything to do with the connection and not a retarded update system
pajeet pls

it's funny how everyone says that he is using linux and when there's a specs thread 90% of people have windows 7/8.1/10

Ads on the start menu

Windows only supports like two different filesystems or so. None of them feature COW or self-healing.

Get out

What is
>a specs thread
?

I don't see too many Windows users in the screenfetch threads, must mean that Sup Forums is 100% GNU/Linux!

If with beast you mean sheep then yes, I guess.

>I don't see too many Windows users in the screenfetch threads
that's because people don't use screenfetch on windows
there are a few threads about posting your PC specifications per week and it's always the same thing

You mean speccy threads? Gee, I wonder why those have no Linux posters. Maybe if they were called speccy/lshw threads instead.

How much do you think Micro$oft pays Adobe to not make a linux version of their software? Adobe software is on the top 5 list of arguments against using linux

getting windows to download updates is a pain but i honestly think windows is 10 times easier than linux.

once you get linux running, its the best general OS however, its bad for gaymen, image editing and video editing. the only work you can do on linux is basic computer shit and coding.

i think the way forward for power users who can't deal with botnet 10 is running windows and linux together via virtualisation.

not sure about this conspiracy theory but if Adobe products would be fully usable on Linux - I will switch full-time in no time!

>but i honestly think windows is 10 times easier than linux.
That's funny, I have the exact opposite experience. Everytime I want to do something in Windows, it keeps finding ways to make my life difficult. Every new version of Windows keep hiding more and more settings under new dialogues and "Advanced" settings.

You aren't going to like linux if you are a nigger cattle who gets coerced into using spyware by adobe so easily

> Everyone who is not a developer is a hobbyist
You are a fuckin idiot.

There is no way one does not use a computer at work. That does not make anyone a hobbyist you tool. People like you are why developers need gui designers, you have just no fuckin idea what normal people need in a computer.

>> Everyone who is not a developer is a hobbyist
That's not at all what I said, you flaming retard. I said everyone who is not a professional, is a hobbyist.

The rest of your post is basically arguing a straw man argument I never wrote so it's irrelevant.

>I said everyone who is not a professional, is a hobbyist.
Everyone who works is a professional in his trade and in 99% of jobs he will use a computer productively. So what is even the point of your bullshit post?

>image editing

gahnoo/loonix is generally fine for photography with there being at least two decent lightroom alternatives and gimp being a decent replacement for photoshop elements, and for a lot of hobby/non-photography use gimp with addons is an alternative to photoshop if not a direct replacement, the area it's lacking is 'professional' image editing which has always been the osx and more recently windows domain - it's not like video editing where there just isn't an alternative

I don't think anyone ever seriously suggests completely shifting your entire professional workflow to gnu/linux especially if that is a workflow in which gnu/linux is historically lacking

that was my experience, when I had to seriously start googling for things as well as looking up on msdn/stackoverflow/etc only for the answer to usually be "not a bug, feature" or "can't fix/won't fix", or more commonly, "this $59.99 program that won't receive support ever might fix your problem" I decided the switch to gnu/linux wasn't any more effort than sticking to windows, and it was better for my needs to boot

>Everyone who works is a professional in his trade and in 99% of jobs he will use a computer productively
Are you illiterate, or just pretending to be? HE'S A FUCKING WELDER, for fuck's sake.

>So what is even the point of your bullshit post?
The point of my "bullshit" post is that if you come here to this board, where we discuss computers and many of us are professionals or at least studying to become professionals, and you argue that Linux sucks because Joe the Plumber and Frank the Welder doesn't have time to unlearn Windows and learn Linux instead, you're not making a valid point.

>Are you illiterate, or just pretending to be? HE'S A FUCKING WELDER, for fuck's sake.
Yes, he is, you obviously have no fuckin idea how crafting jobs look nowadays.

In first world countries that involves taking or even making security audits, making appointments, organizing or taking part meetings for gathering information about the production process. Even a welder does not only weld all day like a stupid monkey in a productive environment. Your view of people working is completely arrogant and close minded.

Settings > Personalization > Start > Occasionally show suggestions in Start

Is that better?

>hybrid graphics management
PRIME allows per-application granularity of switching. What more do you want?