What's the future of computing in general?

With the PC market declining. Young people using their phones to access the internet. Old people dying. The future is clear. Mobile, always ready computing devices as clients. Linux for demanding computing needs. The end of windows and mac os as "desktop" platforms is near. Mac sales stalled, PC sales down YoY. The whole market will divide between people who can only tap on icons and people who have profound understanding in origin legacy computing. As the technology spreads to the general public and hence needs to became simplified, covered, with minimal user input those people know nothing about it and have zero understanding how it works. When things broke they will just stop using them and ask for help. They can't fix anything, they don't know what anything means. They only use it by taping on things. That's why you have engineers and people who can't even turn off Bluetooth on their phones. AI will help them use technology by asking for what they need. In the future you will either be the smart ass or the sheep slave for big tech companies who harvest your data and control your choices. Closed ecosystems, with the user unable to even understand what's going on. A great tool for the ultimate control of the general society.

Other urls found in this thread:

un.org/en/sections/issues-depth/population/
un.org/esa/population/publications/migration/migration.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=A_GlGglbu1U
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Population_growth#Human_population_growth_rate
businessinsider.com/pc-market-shrinking-five-years-straight-good-news-for-dell-hp-2017-1
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

One thing that looks very certain is that Linux desktop keeps growing.

Linus desktop has grown over 12 months now and is probably goong to pass 3% mark this year for the first time.

Some people have estimated that 5% mark could be possible in 2018.

But after all this was just matter of time. Linux is alreaady everywhere else except in desktops. Servers, IoT, supercomputers, phones, cars... all run Linux and it looks that soon so will desktops.

I think you are pretty spot on. Desktops will be more and more a thing for geeks or powerusers. I know that some businesses started to go back to the terminal-server infrastructure with thin clients. Lots of businesses go with tablets and mobile solutions.
Like you said automation will play a big part in it. You don't need a keyboard and a big screen to type in contract details or bills if a computer is doing the work instead.

> minimal user input those people know nothing about it and have zero understanding how it works

See pic. It's really astonishing how tech illiterate the vast majority of people are. Most people learn this when they enter the workplace.

Secondly, the young people in Western country don't show so much interest in tech (anymore?) or don't want to put in the effort ("Why study linear algebra when I just want to make websites"), on the other hand, east and southeast asian students are showing a lot of interest in the field in comparison.

So I think you are pretty right when you say that in the future there will be a lot more consumers and less people understanding the tech. We will probably see more comfort over everything else (see the development with Amazon, Alexa, Google, etc.) What matters less is effort, understanding, crafting or repairing(!) things but feeling good, happy and exciting

>What are businesses

Well user, they're places people with jobs go to do work. Those businesses run on various versions of windows, and will until people stop working as a whole.

Is that cat in the middle wearing dentures?

Literally nothing will change. You'll have your mobile devices ( phones, tablets etc ) and you will have your laptops and desktops. People like their phones but they also like big screens and keyboards.

>hen things broke they will just stop using them and ask for help. They can't fix anything, they don't know what anything means.

How about we work on technology that doesn't just randomly break? The quality of software is abysmal now but it doesn't have to be.

Desktops aren't going anywhere any time soon. PC gaymers make up a good portion of the market given that gaming laptops are too expensive and difficult to cool.

>How about we work on technology that doesn't just randomly break? The quality of software is abysmal now but it doesn't have to be.

Nice joke. Planned obsolescence and cheap manufacturing keeps companies rich.

Works for me. Police state will make sure miniroties pay for my retirement.

Nothing stops the client from being a Windows pc or tablet that rdp to a windows server

PCs are still required for gaming, and always will be; Steam is only getting bigger. Gaming on mobile is still not at the point where it's enjoyable, unless you're playing turn based jRPGs, card games, or stupid shit like angry birds.

I can totally see mobile taking over for general purpose though. For people checking emails, posting on their shitty social media websites, watching videos on Youtube, etc. none of that shit actually requires a lot of power and a mobile device is good enough for them. If/when VR actually becomes affordable to the middle class, PCs might start to regain lost ground, but until then it will be a constant and steady decline.

>People like their phones but they also like big screens and keyboards
The obvious next step is to make a phone that is capable to be used with a big monitor and a keyboard and could be easily swithed back to be just a phone.
Microsoft is working hard on that idea. Even Canonical tried their shot at it but failed due to lack of resources and ability to compete with big guys.
Damn, even Nintendo is kinda trying to do that - look at Nintendo Switch.

Ubuntu had this idea years ago, but they never capitalized on it. I can totally see in the future, people would have a little phone dock on the desk and use pop their phone into it when they get home and use a monitor, mouse, and keyboard.

programmers will be like tradesmen. There are a lot of jobs but no one qualified to take them.

You're a clueless idiot.

> MaruOS

Never heard of, must be really popular.

>big screens and keyboards.
young people don't use keyboards and big computers at all - do not use at all -

Why has no one tried yet to build a low power platform that can under load switch to a better processor and higher clock speeds, aside from the mobile market.

As in a PC with both a Pentium dual core and a and 8 thread i7, as well as external GPU.

The platform will utilize the Pentium and the on board GPU for menial normal tasks, and will seamlessly switch to the i7 and the external GPU for demanding shit like transcoding, compiling, gaming, etc, only to switch back when the load is over.

Genuine question.

This is what speedstep/c-states are for, dingus. My 6700k draws about 15 watts at idle.

Given the increasing processing power that smartphones have, we might see smartphone docks replace laptops/desktops for people who want a keyboard and larger monitor on occasion but don't need the additional processing power that a laptop or desktop would provide. Desktop sales will still likely see a slight increase in the near future as using consoles for gaymen is becoming less appealing since they've taken on all the negatives of computers that they didn't previously have (complexity, mid life upgrades, actually needing to install games, etc.), most games no longer have local multiplayer support, and companies like Valve have been pushing things like their Big Picture mode (pretty sure that's what it's called) with a UI designed for use on a TV and the Steam Link for game streaming from your PC to your TV. The only thing that can save consoles at this point is if a company manages to make a cloud based gaming platform that isn't shit as that will return them to their less complex roots, although consoles mights still die due to smartphone docks in such a situation.

Because that doesn't make sense for anything that doesn't require a relatively small battery. Any die space that could be used for the second processor would be better spent on more cores for the main processor or excluded entirely to lower prices/increase yields .

>Linux for demanding computing needs.
lol

latency

Mobile is definitely the future. People will still use laptops/tablets but not desktops. Those will be for professionals and gamers. I also think AI is going to become huge in 5-10 years time.

This has been said for the last decade

PC = Mac = Linux

>le mobeel is da fucher maymay

Desktop has never stopped growing. iToddler brainlets that were never able to figure out two mouse buttons obviously dropped their computer and do everything on their iToy, but everyone else got a desktop and a phone to SUPPLEMENT their desktop. At the end of they day, if you want to do anything resembling real work, you're doing it on a PC.

and it's true? Most people use either mobile or a laptop. Normies don't buy desktops. Unless you were talking about AI, this time is different with Google, Apple, Microsoft, and Facebook farming everything you do and investing heavily into it.

Look at it relative to the population growth you imbecile. Absolute numbers are nothing. Desktop numbers are dropping as a % of the population. It's only growing in absolute numbers due to population increases.

ultralight convertible notebooks

Most population growth is occurring in Africa and Asia. You think some street shitters and niggers are gonna be building a desktop PC?

>let me make up these facts to help prove my point and win an internet argument!

Don't bother reasoning with imbeciles, user.
Let them have their ''''statistics'''', it won't make any difference.

Wasn't some company working on a smartphone that unfolded into a tablet? I wonder how well one of those + an optional detachable keyboard would do.

un.org/en/sections/issues-depth/population/

>More than half of global population growth between now and 2050 is expected to occur in Africa.
>Asia is projected to be the second largest contributor to future global population growth, adding 0.9 billion people between 2015 and 2050
>In sharp contrast, the populations of 48 countries or areas in the world are expected to decrease between 2015 and 2050. Several countries are expected to see their populations decline by more than 15 per cent by 2050, including Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Hungary, Japan, Latvia, Lithuania, Republic of Moldova, Romania, Serbia, and Ukraine. Fertility in all European countries is now below the level required for full replacement of the population in the long run (around 2.1 children per woman), and in the majority of cases, fertility has been below the replacement level for several decades.

Retard. But it's okay, don't believe me. Just wait when your country is flooded with these street shitters because it's the "humane" thing to do.

un.org/esa/population/publications/migration/migration.htm

Not my point. My point was that you can't prove these new desktop computers are being bought in the first world.

>What's the future of computing in general?
Microsoft.

youtube.com/watch?v=A_GlGglbu1U

Your point was I made up facts, which I didn't. I then used those facts to make an educated guess, which is that poor as shit people can't afford fucking desktop computers. Your argument is:

>can't prove it, haha! :^)

>using predicted population growth from 2015-2050 for comparing the amount of desktop PCs from 2005-2015 to population growth
Are you retarded?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Population_growth#Human_population_growth_rate

>The annual increase in the number of living humans peaked at 88.0 million in 1989, then slowly declined to 73.9 million in 2003, after which it rose again to 75.2 million in 2006. In 2009, the human population increased by 74.6 million.[12] Generally, developed nations have seen a decline in their growth rates in recent decades, though annual growth rates remain above 2% in poverty-stricken countries of the Middle East and Sub-Saharan Africa, and also in South Asia, Southeast Asia, and Latin America.

They're also responsible for most population growth in the past few decades.

Triggering Sup Forums will never not be fun.

MY ESCAPISM TECHNIQUE IS DYING REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE FUCKIN NORMIES

What does this have to do with Sup Forums? Which of the sources I presented are racist?

It's just a straw man for retards

>Desktop has never stopped growing.
businessinsider.com/pc-market-shrinking-five-years-straight-good-news-for-dell-hp-2017-1
You were saying?

>260 million desktops sold per year means the installed base is shrinking

Mentally defective.