Did it deserve to die?

Did it deserve to die?

>designed for Ubuntu Phone and Ubuntu Tablet that never came to be
>killed the Ubuntu Netbook Remix but failed to live up to its promises

Yes, it deserved to die.

its a shame that unity is considered a failure due to the failings of a completely different project

Yes, if only because it caused confusion when it was brought up in conversation and I would always have to guess if people were talking about Linux or the game engine.

>completely different
That was the goal of Unity, to unify tablet and phone UI with netbook and desktop UI.

It was horribly ill-designed and didn't scale up to modern resolutions when using multimonitor designs.

can we agre that Gnome is going the same road?

dearly.

Yes
Start using wm!

Yes.

That "What is Unity?" so-called "description" alone is grounds for executing everyone involved. Buzzword salad should always be punished by slow hanging.

The only thing Unity ever accomplished was putting a thin veneer of shit frosting over an adware platform. It was a bigger mistake than anime.

yes
>take gnome 3 but make it different
>even though you introduce new and useful features, it's still at it's core gnome 3
>instead of merge features into gnome 3 like an open source community should, repackage it and say "it's mine!"
>when wayland popularity gets off the ground do the exact same fucking thing but worse with mir
>try to kill the decent unity desktop for tablet and phone bullshit
wew lad mir gets on my fucking nerves.

I liked it, especially the HUD

yes

Not a chance.

dweeb

if only
I feel like GNOME3 tried to sabotage the GNU/Linux desktop on purpose

I liked it fine, blame gnome3 for sharting all over the desktop.

No, it's far better than GNOME and KDE. I moved to Windows when the news that it was going to be replaced came out. Enjoy your shitty DEs and the Red Hat (systemd, freedesktop, pulseaudio, gnome) dominance.

>attempt to make adware seem tolerable on a supposed FOSS OS

good riddance

/thread

No. It was great on laptops.

I hope they'll add the global menu and window decoration to panel merging to Gnome. Vanilla Gnome is hot garbage.

>window decoration to panel merging
Yeah, merging the panel, menu bar and window decorations for maximized windows was great. It saved a lot of space on smaller screens. It's not going to happen with Gnome tho. Gotta have muh client side decorations and giant window borders and padding.

Unity was what Gnome 3 should have been.

yes but not because of features or how it looked/felt.
they tried taking away something that was perfectly functional and replacing it with what was basically an early alpha piece of trash in addition to trying to commercialize it (amazon search anyone?)
it was a desperate attempt to pull away from the open source community in addition to what most users felt was a massive change to their OS. they had to learn a new workflow, they had to learn new commands and shortcuts and where everything is.
people don't like rapid change. why do you think windows 8 got absolutely slammed for their fisher-price inspired "start screen" and then they quietly brought back a regular start menu again while trying not to draw attention to the fact that they fell flat on their face.

not to mention that most linux users are power users so replacing a functional desktop with some candy-coated simplistic piece of non-customizable trash is how you alienate your userbase.

> Gnome
never ever, see It's more probable that with KDE you could go in that direction (see the Active Window Control widget)

Unity needed to die. It was bloated and tried to be pretty. there was nothing wrong with GNOME.

I hope KDE makes their global menu work with non-Qt programs soon.

>Year 2017
>Not using Etoile

Please

as if normies will ever install anything else than a full desktop environment

duke nukem of desktops

Nah. Still better than GNOME.

looks like a shitty XFCE customization

Yes. Do you have a real question?

You cant stop cancer from killing you

oh wow it's a picture of irrelevantBenchMark2017
I used KDE, Unity 7.4 and GNOME 3.22 and performance on every program is pretty much the same
gaming only shows a difference of 1~3 FPS between titles
ppl who complain about unity are just dumb