What's so special about Linux ?

I'm a Windows user, never used Linux before. I've decided to test out Linux in a VM, downloaded Xubuntu, installed and now I have it fully functional and I'm a bit confused about it.

Many guys here pretty much worship Linux so do tell me, what's so special about it ? What should I do with it ? I've got a fresh install in a VM and know almost nothing about it. Convince me that it's better than Windows.

Other urls found in this thread:

privacytoolsio.github.io/privacytools.io/#win10
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

the reason i use loonix on some of my pc's is because it's free (as in no $) and goes faster to install than windows 7.
and when you use a pc only for watching animuh and some mild shitposting (because of ancient hardware) it gets the job done.

I like Unix, free software (no $$$) and be part of something bigger.

I use loonix to feel haxor l33t

OP
Good enough for simple stuff. I understand this. Although if you want to do more than simple stuff then you can always pirate windows and you're good to go. I actually have pirated windows 10.

.. but for some unknown reason I have this feeling that these code nerds don't love Linux just because it is free, right ? I already know about e.g. Kali linux but AFAIK that's just a collection of programs.

There's no point to it running on top of your proprietary crapware

Package management, a proper console, and distros that usually have compilers installed by default make for a much better programming environment

Can somebody give me a valid argument why I should use Linux ? As far as cash goes, I can pirate windows, debloat and clean it and also do stuff with it. Linux doesn't seem to be bloated but there's not much I can think of doing with that OS except browsing shady websites like this one.

Programming ? Good enough for everybody that wants to do that, but what if I don't do anything like that ? Is Linux better than other OS's for something else ?

security

bump

A lot of guys laugh when they hear that somebody is using windows. HELLO TO ALL OF YOU! CONVINCE ME WHY U DO DIS.

You referenced code nerds so I thought you were asking why code nerds like it so much

For a normal user, you don't have to worry about Linux outgrowing your current hardware. This is anecdotal, but every windows installation that I've ever had seems to slow down quite a bit after being installed for a while. Package management also makes installation of any program much easier, where you'd usually have to search Google for an installation executable, going through some series of prompts, etc, you can just type in a single command. You don't have to worry about windows spying on you. You'll never have to wait around for five minutes on boot up watching your computer install some update that you don't care about. I'm sure I can think of a lot more but I find it to be a much better user experience than windows, only downside is no gaems

I have read that it is *almost* immune to malware but it is not unhackable. Is it truly better when it comes to security rather than debloated, properly secured windows 10 ? (by properly secured I mean much much more stuff than just an AV)

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.
There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

privacytoolsio.github.io/privacytools.io/#win10

So, Linux is good for its tenuity, security from the first boot and good speed. Also good for programmers of all sorts. I get it but what about a regular shitty user who plays games, browses the internet, etc. ? Or should people like me buy a second computer, preferably cheap since Linux is light and use it for browsing only and play games on Windows ?

>Convince me that it's better than Windows.
Convinced your mom yesterday, ask her.
Stop shitposting, nigger faggot.

I have installed Xubuntu from its site, downloaded via torrent (from its site). But thanks for clearing this info up.

When you are talking about security it's good to actually define what you are trying to secure your computer against. What's your threat model?

If you're worried about run of the mill criminal hackers and their malware campaigns, Linux is generally more secure because those guys normally target Windows (since it has the most market share).

If you're worried about targeted attacks by an unskilled adversary, then I would generally say Linux is still more "unhackable" but it depends on a lot of factors like your distro, what version, what software you're running, firewall config, etc.

If you need to worry about nation state advanced persistent threats, you're pretty boned no matter what OS you pick. You need to go above and beyond just worrying about Linux vs Windows.

Unable to tell a single argument ?

proprietary software isn't secure unless is executed in a sandboxed environment without a network connection, the gnu operating system gives you plenty of tools to secure your information and network with different degrees of reliability that depends your willingness to learn about them.

Thanks for this info.

I know that the only 100% secure solution against government, etc. is to physically disconnect computer from the internet, I'm mostly worried about classic run-off-the-mill script kiddies, common exploits, malware, etc.

So does it make sense to buy a cheap laptop with Linux as my secondary computer for browsing the internet ?

I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.
There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!

Windows is definitely better for some things, as you'll usually have better support for any sort of commercial software and certain kinds of hardware. Also games. But for the normal person who essentially lives in their web browser I don't see why Linux wouldn't satisfy their needs. I have a windows pc for gaming and other windows things, and a shitty old laptop which I run Linux on, I usually use the laptop for general use and programming and I really enjoy it.

It's an operating system that has numerous advantages and disadvantages, here they are:

Pros:
> faster linux kernel duo to no ancient backwards compat that goes back decades
> much faster plug n play than windows, devices work instantly or they don't.
> much more efficient with RAM thanks to code sharing and generally superior programs written by non-pajeets (code sharing is like DLLs in windows but instead of mapping the entire DLL to each process that requires to use it, it shares one memory space for all processes)
>much less bloatware running (no telemetry eating your CPU, no more AV's required)
> near limitless options for tweaking, more power by having the ability to compile the kernel with whatever flags you want.
> easy software management using package managers, rarely you will have to go onto websites manually downloading software and installing them one by one, with a single line and a few minutes of your time you can hours work, instead of installing skype, discord, steam, hexchat, thunderbird, atom, one by one, you can just write this on Ubuntu:

sudo apt-get install -y skype discord steam hexchat thunderbird atom

likewise, for removal just replace install with purge

> software that does not spy on you, many options here by either picking certain software that help to protect your privacy from tails to whonix to qubes.
> no OS rot, you can have a linux install going on for years with minimal maintenance, ext4 which is the main file system used by most distros has fragmentation that is to be defragged once every year or so, instead of every 2 weeks like windows.
> much less times where reboot is required, you can literally recompile and hotswap your fucking kernel without a reboot, whilst on windows you require 2 restarts for an update or even more.

If you are already running linux in a VM then you can just do the same for Windows on your current comp. If you have the money to spend on a second computer just use it to purchase a graphics card for GPU passthrough and maybe a better CPU. Get that uberdank linux sexurity and package manglement with the memetic Windows gaymen.

Cons:
> less hardware support as many manufacturers aim for windows, you have to be a bit more picky and research ahead on the software.
> linux world is constantly changing and expanding, and with change you have instability. BTRFS, wayland, linux containers, and so on are ideas that will further place linux ahead of windows
> some community members can be quite cancerous, but for the most part the community is nice.

> wayland
Has never been alive and never will be.

A very good description! So I'll try to learn how to do stuff with it in my VM and then I'll probably buy the cheapest laptop I can find and continue entertaining myself in there. Alright, Linux is good enough, I understand now :D

>Although, if somebody here wants to laugh and mock people for using Windows then don't. It has its advantages.

If script kiddies are your primary concern, then yeah I would say Linux with a widely used distro and secure defaults would be your best bet. You'll need to also make sure you follow secure best practices while browsing online (like using adblockers, NoScript, etc) to be even safer as well as configuring your firewall. Remember, security is a process and it's not just a bunch of magic settings, so you'll need to be mindful about new patches/updates to your system.

it has to be, and it will be.

It's not a complete shitfest botnet to use and it doesn't support shitfest botnet companies. If all you're doing it media consumption, web browsing, and basic office work you have no reason to be using Windows because there is nothing it is offering that GNU/Linux can't provide. The only reason to use Windows is because you need or really want software that doesn't exist or doesn't compete with software on GNU/Linux. Examples include bideogaymes, CAD, Photoshop, specific single purpose software like in a hospital.

I can't stand the windows update process and lack of meaningful error information and the ability to fix problems yourself. On linux 95% of the software I use I get from my distro's repository. The other 5% I can normally write a script to manually update. I've never ended up with "potentially unwanted software" in linux. It's not uncommon for windows installers to add unrelated background processes or browser add-ons.

Helping others with problems is easier in linux. Linux command line tools follow a similar syntax. When working with other people to fix their problems I can send them instructions to run from the command line. This tends to minimize the other user getting in my way during the process.

>full control of software and os updates, doesn't constantly try to restart while im in the middle of doing something
>fresh install takes less time, no reg keys, online activation, searching for drivers off a slowass vendor webpage
>doesn't stealthily change system settings back to defaults without my consent
>runs the shit i use just as well as any other os would

>$current_year Sup Forums
>shady

are you stupid?

it's the default since fedora 25

RedHat is gonna stuff it down your throat if you like it or not.

have you ever heard of sarcasm ?