/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

supermicro.com/products/accessories/addon/aoc-sas2lp-mv8.cfm
lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-mirrors/2017-July/000684.html
ring.cx/en
blog.savoirfairelinux.com/en-ca/2017/rings-stable-version-released/
youtu.be/BV68DJ2SLyc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

So this is my first time working with a ground up linux system. I have almost everything the way I like it, but there are two basic things that are annoying me, and they both involve mounting and unmounting media and partitions.

Basically, I want to have hot plugging enabled.

As in, I plug in a USB drive, it automatically mounts and is listed in my file manager.

I hate having to open terminal and do
>sudo mount /dev/sdxy /media
to make it show up and then unmount it after.

I've heard about automount daemons but I can't find any. Is there a simple way to do this?

The second problem is much easier, and that is giving myself permission to mount and unmount the windows partition. Right now I have my fstab edited to where the windows partition is always mounted, but I have no permission to unmount it. Is there an easier way for this?

Thanks.

First for:
musl c
Busybox
LLVM
Clang

udisks2
udevil
udev rules

There are SO many ways to do this,you havent even attempted to try and do it your self

>permission
Use sudo,your altering the core system,you need permission rights

Why are you still using Windows?

Occasional Dota games. I plan on quitting though and moving primarily to Linux.

Thanks.

You do know DOTA has been nativly supported via steam for YEARS,right?

GNU/Linux*

No, Richard, it's 'Linux', not 'GNU/Linux'. The most important contributions that the FSF made to Linux were the creation of the GPL and the GCC compiler. Those are fine and inspired products. GCC is a monumental achievement and has earned you, RMS, and the Free Software Foundation countless kudos and much appreciation.

Following are some reasons for you to mull over, including some already answered in your FAQ.

One guy, Linus Torvalds, used GCC to make his operating system (yes, Linux is an OS -- more on this later). He named it 'Linux' with a little help from his friends. Why doesn't he call it GNU/Linux? Because he wrote it, with more help from his friends, not you. You named your stuff, I named my stuff -- including the software I wrote using GCC -- and Linus named his stuff. The proper name is Linux because Linus Torvalds says so. Linus has spoken. Accept his authority. To do otherwise is to become a nag. You don't want to be known as a nag, do you?

(An operating system) != (a distribution). Linux is an operating system. By my definition, an operating system is that software which provides and limits access to hardware resources on a computer. That definition applies whereever you see Linux in use. However, Linux is usually distributed with a collection of utilities and applications to make it easily configurable as a desktop system, a server, a development box, or a graphics workstation, or whatever the user needs. In such a configuration, we have a Linux (based) distribution. Therein lies your strongest argument for the unwieldy title 'GNU/Linux' (when said bundled software is largely from the FSF). Go bug the distribution makers on that one. Take your beef to Red Hat, Mandrake, and Slackware. At least there you have an argument. Linux alone is an operating system that can be used in various applications without any GNU software whatsoever. Embedded applications come to mind as an obvious example.

Next, even if we limit the GNU/Linux title to the GNU-based Linux distributions, we run into another obvious problem. XFree86 may well be more important to a particular Linux installation than the sum of all the GNU contributions. More properly, shouldn't the distribution be called XFree86/Linux? Or, at a minimum, XFree86/GNU/Linux? Of course, it would be rather arbitrary to draw the line there when many other fine contributions go unlisted. Yes, I know you've heard this one before. Get used to it. You'll keep hearing it until you can cleanly counter it.

You seem to like the lines-of-code metric. There are many lines of GNU code in a typical Linux distribution. You seem to suggest that (more LOC) == (more important). However, I submit to you that raw LOC numbers do not directly correlate with importance. I would suggest that clock cycles spent on code is a better metric. For example, if my system spends 90% of its time executing XFree86 code, XFree86 is probably the single most important collection of code on my system. Even if I loaded ten times as many lines of useless bloatware on my system and I never excuted that bloatware, it certainly isn't more important code than XFree86. Obviously, this metric isn't perfect either, but LOC really, really sucks. Please refrain from using it ever again in supporting any argument.

Last, I'd like to point out that we Linux and GNU users shouldn't be fighting among ourselves over naming other people's software. But what the heck, I'm in a bad mood now. I think I'm feeling sufficiently obnoxious to make the point that GCC is so very famous and, yes, so very useful only because Linux was developed. In a show of proper respect and gratitude, shouldn't you and everyone refer to GCC as 'the Linux compiler'? Or at least, 'Linux GCC'? Seriously, where would your masterpiece be without Linux? Languishing with the HURD?

What's wrong with raid10?

It's trash

>Sadly, a kernel by itself gets you nowhere. To >get a working system you
>need a shell, compilers, a library etc. These >are separate parts and may
>be under a stricter (or even looser) copyright. >Most of the tools used
>with linux are GNU software and are under the >GNU copyleft. These tools
>aren't in the distribution - ask me (or GNU) >for more info.

Why though? Serious question.

A lightweight image viewer that supports color management?

Hi guys,
I have a noob question. I was reinstalling arch with win7 like I've done before exactly the same way but now when i run os-prober instead of it recognizing the windows partitions it says 'Failed to connect to lvmetad. Falling back to device scanning.'

The thing confusing me is that im only using one hard drive so idk why it thinks its anything lvm, I read i could just ignore it and instal grub with and do the mkconfig and it will work anyway but it hasn't.
Any ideas?

I've got this installed on a server running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and although I've got 6 HDDs connected to it, only one seems to be detected. Why would this be? There aren't Ubuntu drivers on the download page but that shouldn't matter since Ubuntu is showing it, right?

supermicro.com/products/accessories/addon/aoc-sas2lp-mv8.cfm

Imagemagick?

This is gold
lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-mirrors/2017-July/000684.html

Hello. I was trying to find any documentation or tutorials or a guide to write a kde plasma 5 window decoration(window border and a title bar). I have been googling futilely for a couple of days now. Does anybody know where do I start?
Wasn't KDE one of the few major projects? It has to have documentation on this somewhere.

Indeed.

Now that Arch is dead, which distro are we switching to?

>lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-mirrors/2017-July/000684.html
Can you tl;dr that for me senpai? Guy's writing style is too gay for me to read.

Power to the Arch Wymyn!

>too gay
Your writing style is offenisive.
There is literally nothing wrong with liking dick. Stop acting like it is.

>Portugal
Lol.
I like how that one guy called banning a mirror because of a joke name unprofessional. Very irony.

It was satire. Some arch dev removed his mirror (loli.forsale) from the official list of mirrors and he wrote a long satirical reply which boiled down to:
>muh free speech
>muh abstract sensitive offended person that probably wouldn't even happen
>I do important work on a proto-isp and the center for lost lolis in my spare time, I am allowed to joke about these things!

Disconnect yourselves from the internet, idiots.

It wasn't satire. You don't know what satire is.

He tried to be witty and ironically point out all of the "good things" he does for the community (like hosting a mirror at his work) to defend his cringe-worthy sense of humour. He also complained about how they just removed it before even contacting him and trying to sort out out.

I agree with this. Many people are starting to take the GNU/Linux meme seriously. Seeming as one of the most widely used peices of software in Linux systems is bash, why don't we call it Brian Fox/GNU/Linux and so on, for other major peices of software.

fuck off retard

I agree with this. Many people are starting to take the Android meme seriously. It's just Linux.

>It wasn't satire. You don't know what satire is.
Yeah I do. I just wrote that first bit before I reread the mail and forgot to delete it after writing the rest.
So there.

>Seeming as one of the most widely used peices of software in Linux systems is bash
You mean the GNU Bourne Again SHell maintained by Chet Ramey?

Thats basically the result when people think Linux is the complete system with some GNU tools installed. At this point of view I can understand that it sounds retarded to add a random contribution into the system name, but the thing is, GNU is not a set of programs installed in "Linux"; GNU is an operating system, combined with the kernel Linux. These two parts make the core of the system.
>why don't we call it Brian Fox/GNU/Linux
bash is already part of the GNU system. The GNU project sat down to make an operating system, made a list of what is needed wrote the core programs, shell, libraries and compilers. Bash is one of these programs.

>He named it 'Linux'
no he didn't

he named it "freax", a portmanteau of "free", "freak", and "x" (uniX)

some random fucktard who maintained the ftp where linux was uploaded renamed it to "linux"

r.i.p.

I don't know how much overlap there is between tiling WM fags and vidya fags, but does anyone use something like i3 and also play vidya through Steam or whatever?
Basically do games work okay in a twm

what's the difference between debian server with the packages you need for a desktop OS and arch linux? package manager and nothing else?

Sorry sir, it's Java/Google/Linux

there's also different point of view about security, release circle, etc.

Reminder that GNU Ring exists. ring.cx/en
It just left beta. blog.savoirfairelinux.com/en-ca/2017/rings-stable-version-released/

>Arch linux will now be forever shitposted as an SJW distro
Well, it gets rid of the archfags on Sup Forums so something good came from this.

That's where you are wrong. I tend to believe that arch shitposters are actually people that do not use archlinux themselves and just go around saying shit about it to annoy arch users that end responding and from there, start a distro circlejerking.

Well, Sup Forums is upset right now about the mirror getting removed so shitposting will definitely go up and will result in a portion of the arch linux base on Sup Forums to a different distro.

I have a male dog and a female dog and they won't stop humping each other. Keeping this in mind what's the best way to install Linux on ZFS?

Honestly, the removal of the mirror just because the name offended someone is is bullshit. I'd understand if the mirror server was involved in something fishy, or of the maintainer was a lazy asshole, but that's not the case here.

Are you retarded? Dude's a fucking pedophile and belongs in a noose.

proof of that?

Games work fine on awesomewm, I haven't tried i3 , but I can't think of any reason for they not to, well, not other than some package missing.

WMs like i3 that are tilling might have the windows a little funky because it automatically sets them. But other than that, everything works.

I want to use linux that is ready to use instantly like ubuntu but I like pacman and arch logo, what do?

Got it working, it was a faulty SATA connector.

manjaro / antergos

-install pacapt
-alias screendetch to
screenfetch -A Arch\ Linux

KDE has that session restore thing. How does it work? How do I make my program work with it? How would I go about making my session restore thing that works with KDE session restore thing? I wanted to look it up, but only simple questions come up (90% of them being a variation of "how do I save a KDE session").

how hard is it to install manjaro

>Download program
>It is archived
>Extract it
>Now i have folder with its files and one file for running program
How do you run apps like this?
Do you cd its folder and then ./AppName
Is there better way? This way i need to have terminal opened all the time

/fglt/, how do I change color in w3m's config page? I can't erase colors's names, it's just constant.

either add the folder to your $PATH or create a launch script

owning a domain called "loli.forsale" doesn't make you a pedophile
also, there's literally nothing wrong with being a pedophile, nor is it illegal to be one

These threads are getting slower and slower. ;_;

Your window manager doesn't affect the content inside in any way.
Stop being idiots and actually think for a second.

You are an idiot.
You don't even use a Linux distribution.
You have no actual knowledge about it.
You are retarded enough to be affected by other people using something you don't like. That's a sign of autism.

You're an idiot because you lack the insight to see this through.
The only reason he made that was to be edgy. People like that are the most obnoxious idiots out there. It's not about the alleged joke, it's the fact that they're so retarded that they think being edgy will make them interesting. Just like he accuses those "SJWs" that they go out of their way to be offended, he does the same by being edgy for the sake of being edgy. It's like someone would make "that's what she said" all day long and then complained why no one would want to hang around them.

Any sane person maintaining something (for example the mirror list) would just ignore bullshit like this, remove it and stop enabling cringe-worthy edgelords and that's exactly what happened.

Did you press enter?

Hi Florian

GNU/Linux*

Which I/O scheduler would you recommend for root on SSD? Am I good to go with BFQ?

I've got an E7440 currently with Windows installed. What are some recommendations regarding distros to run instead?

any modern distro with XFCE, LXDE or MATE.

literally anything. my E6400 runs kde gentoo with no hiccups.

Debian.

Debian 9.0 KDE

Make a minimal/net install of your favourtie distro and test some ligthweight DE like LXDE or XFCE, or some standalone window manager

How do you guys check your HDDs file systems for errors? I've been looking at SMART but that doesn't really tell me if the FS itself has errors.

I'm using ext4 and want to see if I have any bad sectors etc. I've been told that I cannot run this from the drive I boot from so is there a way to schedule it so the file system check runs on the next boot?

you want e2fsck

read the manpage which parameter to use so it checks for bad sectors.

Note: to check your root fs, you need to be in maintenance mode with root being ro or in a live system.

yet I forget there is a separate utility called "badblocks". Try that too.

Sup elitists.
youtu.be/BV68DJ2SLyc

How do you view your logs? Do you just view them in a pager? Do you use a interface? Do you use logviewers?

less or fgrep

>61559509
>muh community
Elitism is what Linux needs to fend off infiltration by cancerous influences.
The lowest common denominator can go fester elsewhere.

I print them out and then my mom reads them to me.

Anyone else prefer to use command line for everything whenever possible? It's just more comfortable and everything gets done faster.

nah, it's just you

Command line is dark and creepy.

how do I change Ranger's keybindings? It wont register fn+backspace as delete

I'm trying to pair my bluetooth headphones to my PC, but it can't see the headphones for some reason.

This is the service status:
~$ sudo service bluetooth status
● bluetooth.service - Bluetooth service
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/bluetooth.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: active (running) since Tue 2017-07-25 17:26:28 UYT; 6s ago
Docs: man:bluetoothd(8)
Main PID: 3554 (bluetoothd)
CGroup: /system.slice/bluetooth.service
└─3554 /usr/lib/bluetooth/bluetoothd

Jul 25 17:26:28 gengar bluetoothd[3554]: gatt-time-server: Input/output error (5)
Jul 25 17:26:28 gengar bluetoothd[3554]: Not enough free handles to register service
Jul 25 17:26:28 gengar bluetoothd[3554]: Not enough free handles to register service
Jul 25 17:26:28 gengar bluetoothd[3554]: Sap driver initialization failed.
Jul 25 17:26:28 gengar bluetoothd[3554]: sap-server: Operation not permitted (1)
Jul 25 17:26:28 gengar bluetoothd[3554]: Endpoint registered: sender=:1.37 path=/MediaEndpoint/A2DPSource
Jul 25 17:26:28 gengar bluetoothd[3554]: Endpoint registered: sender=:1.37 path=/MediaEndpoint/A2DPSink
Jul 25 17:26:28 gengar bluetoothd[3554]: Endpoint registered: sender=:1.59 path=/MediaEndpoint/A2DPSource
Jul 25 17:26:28 gengar bluetoothd[3554]: Endpoint registered: sender=:1.59 path=/MediaEndpoint/A2DPSink
Jul 25 17:26:28 gengar bluetoothd[3554]: RFCOMM server failed for Headset Voice gateway: rfcomm_bind: Address already in use (98)

I'm running Ubuntu GNOME 16.04, if it matters.

nevermind

I just can't get i3 to work on Fedora's minimal install.
>install lightdm
>install i3
>systemctl enable lightdm.service
>restart
>see a good old CLI login

I tried the exact same thing in Debian's minimal and it worked flawlessly. What am I doing wrong?

Hi guys. Some user would mind to explain to me why lxc-net deamon messes up my network? I though my network was managed by the networking service and lxc-net was for the containers and the veth only.

>fedora

map XY console delete

idk why you can't get i3 to work when light dm is clearly not working but here is the wiki article
>LightDM does not appear

>It may happen that your system boots so fast that LightDM service is started before your graphics drivers are properly loaded. If this is your case, you will want to add the following config to your lightdm.conf file:

> [LightDM]
> logind-check-graphical=true

>This setting will tell LightDM to wait until graphics devices are ready before spawning greeters/autostarting sessions on them.

See sticky related jpg on upper left catalog
what I thought I hid the sticky
hide sticky related jpg
spend 23 minutes looking for /fglt/

GNU/Linux is seriously underrated as a remote desktop host OS.
>have an old Debian desktop currently pulling fileserver duty that still has a GPU in it, but no attached monitors
>get x2go working complete with pulseaudio forwarding
>get VirtualGL working with my GPU for most OpenGL things working as expected
>achieve the platonic ideal of a workstation class X11 desktop with no hardware compatibility issues, and a resumable session like MS RDP
>only thing that doesn't work via x2go+VirtualGL is gaemz but I mostly do my gaming on Nintendo or Android platforms anyway
>now I can have a fullscreen x2go session of my home PC with a monitor of my work desktop dedicated to it, all tunneled over SSH, with clipboard integration, etc.
On a related note, Fluxbox is incredibly comfy.

One png crush to fix the false positive on the spam filter, and here's the screenshot.

my ANUS laptop feels VERY unresponsive.
running Ubuntu on a Celeron N3050.
is it normal for it to freeze this much and be this sluggish? is the laptop just shit or could it be an ubuntu problem or hard disk damage?

>distros that aren't fedora

bump