Getting ethernet to an upstairs bedroom

I want to run an ethernet cable to an upstairs bedroom (can't drill or modify the house, don't own it). Wifi is unrealistic, I'm not even going to bother with it unless I absolutely have to. Would snaking a flat ethernet cable out of a window and up about 12 feet into another window long-term pose alny real security/safety risks? The windows would both close pretty much all the way with the cable resting on them, or I would insulate it.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/PACK-Broadband-Ethernet-Generation-Supplies/dp/B01AYMDXMU/ref=pd_sbs_147_4?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01AYMGPIO&pd_rd_r=0F7EYWDJ9TQZQGSDTFYY&pd_rd_w=VRuOJ&pd_rd_wg=hN3mQ&refRID=0F7EYWDJ9TQZQGSDTFYY&th=1
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power-line_communication
yande.re/post/show/312983
pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=48847172
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Wow, that sounds really stupid. Why is WiFi unrealistic?

Build a Yagi antennae.

Too much hassle and I already have a 50 foot ethernet cable so it would be free, buying a router and a wifi card wouldn't.

powerline
or do what you're doing but warp the exposed length with tape

Powerline ethernet is the way to go. Plug one in downstairs by hub and the other upstairs where you want it. I use the Netgear one and its great

You do realize you can pass wires from room to room in most homes using the walls right? And you don't even have to drill.

Literally the way the plugs are installed in your home.

Get a powerline ethernet from amazon. It runs power through your existing electrical outlets. Theyre cheap on amazon.

Yeah I'm renting too, had the same issue getting a ethernet cable downstairs to one room where the wire in the wall somehow got clipped and wasn't working anymore.

If you don't have a master closet and ethernet jacks in every room, I'd feel fine just rolling the ethernet cable out of the window. If you are just leaving the window cracked a bit for the wire to go through, maybe hack something together to cover the space above the wire so you don't have bugs flying in

It's more of an issue of it looking messy I think

don't bother with wifi and personally i think powerlines are memes

/thread

I've already done this in my last two houses (rented) using a really long ethernet cable, so I know where you're coming from. Wi-fi is unreliable, slow and insecure (just like my ex, ARF!) and only any good for phones and tablets. Can't beat a good old wired connection eh user? Anyway, you don't need to drill if your cable is long enough, just run it across the skirting board or just under the carpet at the wall edges, so long as you're not completely useless it's easy enough to do.

If the house is already wired for cable tv you can buy a pair of MOCA adapters and use them to form a direct ethernet link.

That would be pretty difficult for me, even though there are plates on the wall for phone and cable in the room below. There's just no easy way to snake the ethernet cable through, it would basically just be shoving it up into a small cavity filled with insulation and other wires hoping that it comes out somewhere where I'll be able to grab it and use it.
I'll just put it in a couple of layers of electrical tape, I don't care if it just looks ugly since it would be on the back wall of the house anyway.

I personally wouldn't try to route a cable outdoors through windows as it may pose a security risk or cause issues with the insulation. Do what said. I too run a flat Ethernet cable along the skirting boards and then under the bottom corner of a door (the side with the hinges). Use painters tape to secure the ethernet cable to the skirting/wall if needed.

who dat? (btw I don't care what you wrote)

>2017
>not having a wifi router already
what fucking year do you live in

>shoving it up into a small cavity filled with insulation and other wires hoping that it comes out somewhere where I'll be able to grab it and use it.
>doesn't know about fish tape

Holy shit user thank you
Not OP, but this would have benefited me for years to know this existed

educated man spotted

If you can run them through the windows, that would be your best bet. Know a guy living in the north of Norway doing this (i.e the cable can withstand "extreme" weather conditions). Powerline is somewhat hit and miss, it doesn't work well in all houses.

loli fangs

>Would snaking a flat ethernet cable out of a window and up about 12 feet into another window long-term pose alny real security/safety risks?

I did this for 5 years back in the early 2000s when I lived with my parents. No issues. Upgrade to an outdoor cable when you can.

Not OP but OMG I had no idea!

Would getting an outdoor cable and burying it around the edges of a house around to the router through a window work?
I'm mainly worried about the cable slowly working its way to the surface then getting shredded by the lawn mower

Wireless to Ethernet adapter.

I have a coax input to my room and I know it worked in the past. I don't believe it was disconnected but I'm not positive. I don't watch TV so I don't have a box in the room either. I believe the coax comes directly from the splitter in the basement assuming it's still connected down there. Can I still use a MOCA adapter or do I need something else?

I mean to answer your question it should be fine at least for a while.

I'd use some command hooks to route it around the house. They're removable and sturdy. Read the instructions to remove them though.

>I'd use some command hooks to route it around the house
I wanted to do something that would make the wire hidden because my wife would never let me just hang wire like that

Yeah just bury it then. You might be able to bury a PVC pipe and seal the ends? But that's kind of beyond what I know on the subject.

Does your modem have coax screwed onto the back of it? Yes.

I bet you're kicking yourself right now over days wasted.
t.learned the hard way myself

Coax is paintable. Use proper cable clips to make the installation look professional.

>command hooks
duelingbanjos.wav

>Reading about MOCA adapters
>over $100 for just 2
>Keep looking
>see this

amazon.com/PACK-Broadband-Ethernet-Generation-Supplies/dp/B01AYMDXMU/ref=pd_sbs_147_4?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01AYMGPIO&pd_rd_r=0F7EYWDJ9TQZQGSDTFYY&pd_rd_w=VRuOJ&pd_rd_wg=hN3mQ&refRID=0F7EYWDJ9TQZQGSDTFYY&th=1

>Same concept using different standard for $9 for 2
Reviews look fine and I know I don't use this houses coax for anything, so is this actually a way to get ethernet over coax for $9 or is it too good to be true?

>Ajax

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power-line_communication

Find the shortest route along your wall. Slap some tape on. Start laying down the Ethernet cable. Attach hooks regularly, making sure there's a tiny bit of slack at each interval (not enough to bend the cable or have it not stick to the wall). Paint over. Remove tape. Now you have Ethernet in your room.

Pic related, your wife won't mind.

Wow 4chins rotated my picture. This is new.

A lot of phones don't actually rotate pictures they take to match the camera orientation. They just save a bit of processing power and write something in the EXIF that says "btw, rotate this 90 degrees to the left, k?"

Then it shows up wrong on Sup Forums because Sup Forums strips EXIF data to make it harder to dox people. Except on /p/, where it's sometimes useful or needed.

Sauce
yande.re/post/show/312983
pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=48847172

Couple of suggestions:
Run the cable through A/C ducts if you have them. Run the cable outside, like you said; that is how I'm connected to my router. Consider investing in powerline ethernet adapters.

>I did this for 5 years back in the early 2000s when I lived with my parents. No issues.
Same. Worked brilliantly.

>this is new
no you're new

>powerline ethernet
I hope you faggots are joking. Even wifi would be better.