/pcbg/ - PC Building General - non-shit edition

If you want help:
>Assemble your parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>State the budget for your build (and country if not the USA)
>List games/software you use often, as well as your monitor resolution + refresh rate
>Clarify your goal for build improvements: lower price or improved specs?
How to assemble a PC, select components & more (kind of outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Build_a_PC

CPUs:
No i5 unless discounted
>G4560/G4600 - Budget builds (R5 1400 - Cheapest quad core you can get (Ryzen 3 soon)
>R5 1500x - Good but up to 1600 if you can
>R5 1600 - Best value for higher fps gaming / mixed usage; 1600x if you want higher stock clocks
>i7 7700k - Only for 144hz
>R7/Used Xeon/Threadripper - Compute/Multitask/VM/mixed use; Not for just gaming

GPUs:
Coin miners have driven price up and stock down, waiting to buy a GPU might be wiser
>Integrated CPU Graphics - Desktop stuff and very light games
>GTX 1050(Ti) - Lower end budget cards, drop settings on newer games, RX560 beaten by both
>RX570 - 1080p@60~hz maxed, running most maxed older games at 100~Hz
>RX580 and GTX1060 6GB - 1080p@80hz maxed, 1440p@60hz at lower settings; RX580 better in newer games
>GTX 1070 - 1080p@130hz /1440p@60hz at high
>GTX 1080 - 1080p@144hz / 1440p@60hz maxed, 4k@60hz in a few games; Probably the highest end card you need for 1080p/1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 1440p@144hz and 4k@60hz maxed/high in many games

RAM:
>Check your Mobo QVL before buying any RAM
>Ryzen CPUs benefits a lot from high speed RAM

General:
ALWAYS LOOK AT PRODUCT REVIEWS!
Always consider an SSD. Try buying a large SSD for what you'd pay for your SSD+HDD combined, and add a HDD later
NVMe SSDs aren't for a faster OS boot, they're for productivity/scratch disk/VMs. NVMe and M.2 are not the same thing, M.2 is a form factor.
The Ryzen lineup comes with surprisingly good stock coolers. consider using them over any

Other urls found in this thread:

intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/memory-storage/optane-memory/optane-32gb-m-2-80mm.html
pcpartpicker.com/user/2799ae/saved/#view=r3GrHx
gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-970-vs-AMD-R9-380/2577vs3482
m.umart.com.au/goods.php?id=39211
linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIADGY5XV0650
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Is that on automatically?

Voids the warranty?

THREADRIPPER WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN

>Is that on automatically?
Yes
>Voids the warranty?
No.
It's normal

ok

almost all processors these days have a turbo boost. It will pick the single best performing core and temporarily boost that core's processing speed.
Even locked, non-overclockable processors do it. My laptop has a Core i5 7300HQ. The base clock is 2.5 Ghz, but it turbo boosts to 3.5 Ghz.

SIGGRAPH.

What can I do with one of those 4 screws that hold the cooler in place on a GPU being really damaged?

I mean, do they sell replacements for these? I had a rough time with em.

intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/memory-storage/optane-memory/optane-32gb-m-2-80mm.html

Is this an overpriced crap or just a actual useful?

overpriced crap at the moment.
It's only compatible with Intel SSDs at the moment and those are nowhere near best in class.

so i just got my r7 non x, o.c. to 3.8 gh this weekend on the stock wraith spire on 1.347 volts i think it was. something in that range. still got plenty of room to hit 4.0 as i can max it to 1.425 volts but im more than happy at 3.8. i just wanted to hit 3.5 at a good voltage and i would have been super happy but 3.8 on stock is super great and such a great deal.

Don't buy this, it doesn't work. It can't power four HDDs, maybe two, tops. Just a heads-up.

Its your PSU, not the cable.

what mobo user? also ram speeds

Yesterday I received a brand new 1050 Ti and I managed to mount it today after cleaning the case since it has been a while since last time.
Looks good so far, except that there's no VGA port and I cannot use my dual screen setup till I get a DP>VGA or DVI>VGA adapter so I'm stuck on the secondary screen that uses HDMI.
The temp is pretty good too by the way, the cooler is from Gigabyte, this is the mini version, I played CB2 on max settings for half a hour at 800p (small size screen) and the temp was steady around 56° with very silent fan at less than 50% speed.
Now I'm waiting for FFXIV to get delivered since I bought the physical release, I'll report back how it does with that once I install and test it, I hope it does well (it should).

It can't be the PSU. I used it with a 750W PSU and it didn't work, same as with a 300W. Maybe the SATA power connectors don't put out enough power for more than 2 HDDs.

>VGA
What year is it?

good mid tower case with good fans + airflow but still has a 5.25 inch bay?

lmao

First AMD gaymers get BTFO by eth-miners, now they're getting their bank accounts BTFO by retailers selling them useless garbage they don't need and they STILL aren't getting a graphics card.

it's the current year, my main screen is actually a 50" TV from 2010 with an HTPC that although it connects to the TV using DP, it has no HDMI nor DP out port, only VGA. I already tried connecting the DP cable directly to the GPU but it didn't work, it must be a custom version, it works only with the HTPC, so I'm using it as "proxy" between the TV and the GPU, once I get the VGA adapter.

I got a Phenom II 1055T and want to upgrade my old graphics card, a HD5750, got a 1440p monitor.
What's the highest I should go as I to buile a full new PC in 3 years or so ( no used cards).
Gtx 1050 TI or gtx 970?

Idle stats here.

I get 3.7 with the stock voltage on my 1600, have you tried lowering that voltage?

You will often bottleneck the 970, but it would still be an improvement over the 1050ti.

I just finished my build, but it wont accept my windows Key?

It's ideal for building a computer for someone computer illiterate, who needs lots of space (HDD), and you don't trust to manage multiple volumes (ie, no separate SSD for boot).
i3 or above, however.

maybe your firewall is blocking windows from pinging MS? otherwise call their support line, if your key is legit I mean.

Yea I guess but I can always pump some additional effects into it like SSAA.
Also I see right now a new gtx 970 for 180€ while a new 1050ti is just marginally cheaper.

find a nice 1080p monitor at Goodwill for like $45 user

How much should I spend on 120mm fans for an old bitfenix shinobi case?

Asus Prime b350 plus with corsair vengeance lpx 3000 timings are 15 15 17 17 35 i think cant exactly remember
can you get through cinebench on stock voltage like that? how about aida?
and well the lowest i went down was to 1.31 volts or somethin like that, idk though i guess ill go lower this weekend and let aida run for an hour, what will happen if i undervolt though will it give me the same crash as if i had overclocked to high?

sounds like too much for a 970. How much is a 1060 3gb selling for?
are you connected to the internet? Is your key legit?

15 17 17 35 cas 16

heres the exact build for reference, graphics card is a gtx 9600 till i can upgrade, also about that mobo, if your planning on building with it set the timings and qvl specs right off the bat before even installing windows, i didnt assuming they would default which gave me problems, but after setting ram speeds and frequency it runs like butter not a single crash

pcpartpicker.com/user/2799ae/saved/#view=r3GrHx

240€ for the 3gb 1060

I tried disabling my antivirus and firewall, same problem

>are you connected to the internet?
Yeah

>Is your key legit?
Key selling site, so probably some OEM key. When I had the same problem with the first key, they sent me a second

And I tried doing a system restore and it seemed to work better then, but for some reason I couldnt connect to my internet then, even through the command prompt

Do you mean to replace the TV? I don't think I can find any 50" screen for $45. I use it when I'm playing or watching anime, while the small secondary screen for other stuff like shitposting, checking stats, reading and whatever I cannot do on the main when it's busy.

Is there a diference between 2 and 4 sticks of ram with tha same capacity?(on a ryzen 5 system)

also is 16gigs of ram worth the price over 8?

M.2 NVMe or ssd? Which one is faster?
and which one has longer lifetime and warranty?

gross. If you decide you want a 1050ti, instead look for a used gtx 960, same performance. You should be able to find one for megadirtcheap... if Radeon owners who sold to miners didn't snatch them all up.
But yeah, I saw a used 960 in my area for $80USD. Used 960 would allow more budget for cpu upgrade. I think you need that more really.

I've only used Prime95 and and memtest for a couple hours each, but it's been stable playing games for hours as well so I figured it was solid. Don't you have to pay for aida?

NVME is another type of SSD.
What you refer to "SSD" is a SATA SSD
NVME was designed to eventually replace SATA/AHCI, which was designed with hard drives, not SSDs in mind. This severely limits their performance.

If you are reading or writing very large files often or in small timeframes, NVME is worth the investment. If you just want Windows and programs like games to load quickly, the difference is trivial.

NVME flash is the same flash you find in SATA drives. It doesn't have a longer warranty.

Read the OP, what are you using your PC for?

m. 2 nvme IS an ssd. What the fuck are you talking about? Did you mean vs Sata? Nvme is much faster, but a sata drive is a lot cheaper, and the difference for most users is imperceptible. Durability / Lifetime I have no idea about.

mostly gaming and a bit of video editing

Is it worth upgrading from a 2GB HD7850 to a 3GB R9 280X? I've found one on Ebay for £100 but 2GB VRAM is starting to feel really cramped so I feel like I should go for at least 4GB if I buy a new card.

Get 2×8gb 3200mhz ram to get the best performance

Wanting to speed up my few years old Toshiba laptop with an ssd and new ram. I know the ram is a simple swap.
Is the ssd as simple as cloning the drive and popping the new one in?
I've seen videos of other ssd replacements, but none for my specific model.

What is your budget? For a 150$ you can get GTX 1050ti

Assuming the SSD is SATA, yes.
Make sure to tune the OS to the SSD once finished.

that sounds like a lottery winning chip to me user, ill definitely try and lower my voltages this weekend, cooler temps would be nice, and nah you just use the free trial, download it and it will be a (from what i can see) fully functioning 30 day demo, it seems to be another winrar, extended demo type thing but ill be uninstalling it after 30 days

Isn't the 280X a hell of a lot more faster than the 1050Ti? Only problem is 3GB VRAM vs 4. My budget is anywhere below £200 but as low as possible is preferred. I've found a 4GB R9 380 at £179 and 970's at £200 as well.

>Make sure to tune the OS to the SSD once finished
Never heard of this, how's it done?

Get the gtx 970
gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-970-vs-AMD-R9-380/2577vs3482
If not get the r9 290x unless you want 4gb of vram

>that sounds like a lottery winning chip to me user
I figured I had won once I got it to 4.0ghz around 1.35 on the voltage. Ran too hot for the stock cooler, but nice to know it can. I'll definitely grab aida and make sure it's stable though.

It may happen automatically in Windows now. Pretty sure it's mostly the swap file shrinking.

Cool, thanks. I've only got around 270 gbs on the current hdd and plan to get the 500GB ssd from Adata so I'm not too worried about having space.

The issue isn't space, it's writes to the SSD shortening lifespan. Continually getting dinged in virtual memory theoretically takes a toll.

After a quick google search, apparently it's just a matter of checking an optimize for ssd box in disk management, but the os should recognize it as an ssd automatically.

ya all i could get at 1.35 was, 3.9 to boot, and then crash right as cinebench began to benchmark, congrats on the chip user. please, enjoy one of my most prized memes

>but the os should recognize it as an ssd automatically.
Yes, that's what I figured. I was just worried if perhaps directly cloning from a HDD, rather than installing, might bypass a check in Windows for what the storage medium was.

How does the future looks for the AM4 platform? Will amd ditch it in one year likes intel does?

I'm on a 2500k and I can't stand any more the stutters and sub 45 frame drops in a lot of games. I was thinking about upgrading but since I'm a poor fag I can only afford a 1600 at best with 16gb of fast ram and a decent mobo with lots of future expansion in mind.

But if in a few years I wanna give my computer a extra boost will I be stuck with the 1800x?

AM4 = EOL 2020

Alright guys i need advice.
I recently resat my CPU cooler and now I am paranoid about leaving fine lint on the cooler surface during the process of replacing the thermal paste. I used an alcohol swab to wipe it down and then let it dry before mounting it. Me being a dumbfuck forgot to check for lint on the surfaces.
My CPU temperatures are fine but I am paranoid. Should I remount my CPU cooler again? Or am I just being paranoid?

Seriously? Sounds to good to be true. So when amd releases a 6-8 core with better IPC and higher clocks will I be able to just upgrade the bios and buy it?

Is a 550W fine for a 1080ti/Ryzen 5 1700 build? Or should I be safe and go for 650W?

Also, does anyone know about SP SSDs? The shop I frequent just got some in for a decent price and I'm considering one as my boot drive
m.umart.com.au/goods.php?id=39211

Go for a 650w and make sure it's gold/Platinum certified and from a known company and NEVER BUY A CHEAP PSU

It's up to the vendor to provide that support in UEFI.
I'd go for 650W.
SP is big in Asia. Not exactly the best quality or performance.

Wasn't gonna cheap out on PSU; seasonic or Corsair, gold certified minimum.

Thanks man, if they're not the best quality I can grab a Samsung for $7 extra and they've got a good reputation afaik

If my MOBO has an 8-pin connector for CPU power, and my PSU has a 4+4 cable, can I glue the two halves together to make it easier to install?

OK, my PC has finally been bought after various troubles with sellers and banks and should be here tomorrow.

I've bought an i7 7700 and I've heard that Win7 doesn't run properly on it?
Or that you can't install updates?
I've got a win7 install disc, should I try to make a full win7 install USB?
Or do I HAVE TO use windows 10?

Install from your disk, there are guides to updates. You may need a PS/2 mouse/keyboard because you won't have USB drivers before updating 7.

Would recommend Seasonic Prime, 960 EVO (or Pro, if you have money to burn).

How does SilverStone hold up as a PSU? They seem decently priced for the 650W Gold+

fug, I hope I still got some

They're pretty cheap these days

>linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/

Meh to bad.

yeah but I just spent £2000 and I don't want to waste any more money on something I'll only use once

>hurr durr cheap psu explode xd
i want this meme to die. if you buy from a good brand then even 550w bronze is going to handle 1080ti/1700 build nicely, good power supplies are a nice thing to have, but he could cheap out and it wouldn't matter. oh and if your psu is too weak it fucking explode, it'll just shut down because they were designed to not kill you. as long as you don't buy chink no-names you should be fine. also ratings are a meme anyway.

>960 evo meme
250gb costs 128$. you can get literally DOUBLE the capacity for 10$ more and you wouldn't feel a difference. inb4 links to synthetic benchmarks.
>telling people to buy platinum power supplies
waste of money, kys

>telling people to buy platinum power supplies
Prime series also contains Gold SKUs.
>waste of money
A high-end PSU for a high-end machine is completely appropriate. Believing you should skimp there of all places is emblematic of poor judgement.
>you can get literally DOUBLE the capacity for 10$ more
Did you not notice his R7 and 1080ti? Very obvious it's not value he's seeking.

what's the key. let me test it

>Linus

I bought a 700W, semi modular PSU from Gigabyte. It's Bronze certified but also very cheap. 40 dollars when most PSUs I find in that price are sub 500W, non modular or non certified/80+ white. Even found a Gigabyte PSU that's 400W, non modular and 80+ white for the exact same price on newegg. What am I missing?

>Idiocy

he's reddit but he has good info

Linus is completely irrelevant to the link posted, which makes the critique even more off-base.

It's not Linus's behavior that is the problem with Linus, it's his utter lack of knowledge about computer science in general

>Turns out my fans don't have PWM but my motherboard is running PWM on them so they are running at fucked up speed hence heating up my PC
Remember to setup your case fans properly kids.

Can't you fix that in the BIOS settings?

>Turns out my fans don't have PWM

Does 7loader still work?
What's the most safe place to get it?

Yeah I just did.

At least I didn't not turn on XMP like my friend who bought high end DDR3 ram and didn't turn XMP on for a fucking year.

Does single and dual rank ram make a difference on ryzen cpus?

Yes

how much jew spyware shit does win 10 have that you cant disable in the setup?

What motherboards are good?

Asus ones

Does Windows 10 compact mode (where it compresses binaries) slow down overall performance on low/high end computres?

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIADGY5XV0650

Thoughts as basic non-gaming pc?
Previous pc was amd a4-4000 with 2gb ram and 256gb hdd

Find a replacement at a supply/hobby store.

Fastenal has pretty much ever screw ever made but it may cost you.

Are MSI ones alright?