Opensolaris

Is it bad, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/01/oracle-sort-of-confirms-demise-of-solaris-12-effort/
phoronix.com/forums/forum/software/oracle-solaris/35653-linux-hacker-compares-solaris-kernel-code
yarchive.com/comp/evolution.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It is old, might want illumos

needs more toolbars.

But those are panels

OpenSolaris has been discontinued since 2011 or something.
You should use OpenIndiana if you want to use open source Solaris on desktop.

It's ancient. Go get OpenIndiana which is still somewhat developed.

>Using a completely irrelevant OS just so you can be a maximum hipster.

Is OpenIndiana usable as an everyday OS?

More like OpenCringe.
>pic related

a miserable ending to a once mighty OS
arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/01/oracle-sort-of-confirms-demise-of-solaris-12-effort/

might end up a hobbyist OS like BeOS/Haiku or ReactOS. It's really sad to see some good OSes perish that way. OS/2 also comes to mind.

* it seems everything oracle touches goes bad. staroffice/openoffice, solaris. they still have java (haha)

pic related

Probably not, but try it anyway.

it was very soundly designed
phoronix.com/forums/forum/software/oracle-solaris/35653-linux-hacker-compares-solaris-kernel-code

perhaps not as maniacally as openbsd, but it seemed well thought out. linux seems like a hack job by comparison.

the critical mistake was not turning it into an x86 OS with driver support. if that had been done in time, it might have had a chance, rather than the freeware linux. sun was trying to be apple by selling hardware with the sparc version of solaris. how could they compete with freeware linux + ubiquitous and cheap x86/amd64?

Java was protected by GPL so oracle can't just decide to go proprietary because they feel like it and java being very relevant as a programming language also makes it impossible to kill.

More than enough panel already.
>Zero toolbars.

>it was very soundly designed
This might interest you: yarchive.com/comp/evolution.html

Let's just say that if design was all that important, Solaris would be the most used operating system instead of Linux.

>tfw you have to live in a world where a shitty database buys the best company in the business sun microsystems
There is no god. He would not allow this.

I only read the first post, but it seems to want you to believe that hack job (a "feature" he calls it) is the best ("fittest") way for an operating system to thrive. I don't believe that for a second. People wanted freebies, and that's what linux gave them. If it were as easy to use and has as much hardware driver support as windows or was as stylish as mac OS, both would have perished long ago, and not due to either hack job or poor design. it decimated the unixes because they lacked anything really redeeming that could beat freeware.
I still think good design makes for easier scaling. Linux (and windows too) start to suffer from "too big to manage" symptoms.

>I only read the first post
You didn't read something, then you poorly guessed what it was about, and now you're trying to advocate your autism here.
No.

>Latest version 2009
Why are you even asking?

>what is illumos

In fact their current version is actually called Hipster.

I get more mileage out of Solaris 10, honestly,

I remember when openSolaris first came out and I looked at the source code for it. Goddamn was the some beautiful C.

Java was protected by the fact that it was a widely adopted product. It being GPL had nothing to do with anything.