ITT:

ITT:
We have a civil debate on which is objectivly better
Windows, Gnu/Linux, and OS X
Rules:
No attacking other anons, or users of them, keep it civil

The better one is the one you can use easily with least frustration. There is no objectively better.

There is no objectively better. Use that what suits your needs best:

>Windows
if you don't care about privacy and freedom or if you want to support a walled garden platform owned by an evil corporation or if you want to support game publishers releasing exclusively on that platform

>GNU/Linux
if you care about privacy and freedom or if you're a programmer

>macOS
if you don't care about privacy and freedom or if you want to support a walled garden platform owned by an evil corporation or if you're a programmer

Windows for games
Linux for nogames.

>thinly veiled shill thread so you can copy and paste switch stories from 9to5mac forums

Fuck off.

>GNU/Linux
kys
its objectively the best though, only reasons to use windows are if you *REALLY* need to use some of the software written SPECIFICALLY for it

Not a shill thread, I use Linux and don't know what 9to5mac is

Use Mac at work and it's fine, although Finder is hot garbage. Mainly use Linux at home because I'm not about to drop the necessary coin on Apple shit, but still keep a W7 partition around for dual boot stuff. W10 is total shit and I will never use it for anything

Everything is trash except Linux. Fuck you OP for GNU/Linux.
OSX is for faggots nu-males and Windows is for gaymers

they all have their pros and cons
Windows
+gaymen
+commercial software support
+best drivers
-botnet
-non free (as in $)

Linux
+free
+customisable
-shit for drivers

OSX
+just werks
+good with other apple products
-botnet
-pain to get working proppely on non apple cumputers

>windows
Good for games and enterprise. not much else. Stable.
>linux
Good for servers, only really good for some on the desktop. Can be really unstable.
>macOS
Decent for servers, desktop, and most users. Has a decent selection of games, and is stable and secure.

>Windows
Good for work, enterprise, games.

>Gnu/Linux
Good for work, enterprise, software development

>OS X
Good for jerking off to at starcucks while sending kissy kissy messages to your boyfriend on facebook.

Thank for making this thread. We really need a true debate without any shitstorm happening.

Linux:
Great customization
Freedom from bullshit
$0
Better on Desktops, unless you have a Thinkpad

Windows:
Games, games, games
Telemetry
Most people are probably more familiar with it
Did I mention games?

OS X:
$$$$$$$$
Stable (read: Just Werkz)
Decent amount of software, and Homebrew/Macports makes it livable
Aluminum?

Windows
+Most games have it in mind
+Most software have it in mind
+Photoshop
+Pretty easy to use
-Botnet
-Non-free (In both ways)
Linux
+Good for programmers
+Full control
+Free as in freedom
-Drivers
-Less easy to use as Windows and OS X
-Less software and games
OS X
+Insanely easy to use
+Photoshop and video editting tools
+Normies use it
+Most businesses use it
-Less control than Windows and Linux
-Botnet
-Apple made
Note: I am probably biased towards Linux as that's my daily driver
You're welcome user.

>Windows
Complicated to get rid of botnet. Forces you to modify the installation disk to truely make sure your system is safe. Flawless software compatibility and support, even supports a Linux Subsystem allowing you to run just about any linux application with ease. Moderately customizable interface, but very difficult to work with. Fine for programming, supports all IDEs one might need for any language they want.

>Linux
Though not perfect, far less bloat than other platforms. Very high security distros available. The king of all font rendering and gui customization. Great environment for programming. Lacks good software compatibility with applications such as the Adobe Creative Cloud, Microsoft Office 2016, and a good 90% of all major game titles.

>Mac OS X
Perminant unweavering botnet, uninstallable. Limited hardware support. Ugly interface, uncustomizable, but supports nice features, like being able to resize your windows smoothly, and VSync. Shit software compatibility.

Mac: introduced social media obsession, pseudo-superior hardware and closed software that is windows bloatware tier

windows: a shit system that works and every african knows how to use it

Linux and BSD: system for people who want to stay away from the botnet

this

Another note:
I have never used OS X therefore I cannot really make an argument but I tried to be as fair as I could be

>OSX
>+just werks
shill

There literally is no debate on which is better.
You use which ever one gets the job done. It is just an OS, if it doesn't serve your needs then it isn't the OS for you.

Windows - if you have nothing to hide

Linux - if you really need secrecy, for some reason..

MacOS - if you're gay and proud of it, so you need to show it.

He isnt wrong? When you buy their shit it does just work. Updates are quality and doesnt error and shit out.

See I've always found the "Nothing to hide nothing to fear." argument stupid, even if I don't have anything to hide I at least want some privacy. I don't want people regularly going through my files knowing more about me that need be. Also keep it civil user, please refrain from attacking users of the Operating Systems in question.

He's right though user, OS X does just werk.

Thanks everyone for participating, I'll make a Civil Debate thread on browsers tomorrow. Maybe these can become a regular thing on the board

>+Normies use it

Thanks to VMs the OS you use is entirely up to personal preference/convenience

Which OS reports your files or the contents of your files?

Any evidence?

>I don't want people regularly going through my files knowing more about me that need be.

>defends fagOS

lmao

There was a tweet I saw with proof of Windows phoning home, unfortunately I don't have the tweet, basically what the guy did was, set up wireshark to watch and see what Windows phones home, and he found out that it sends; Webcam data, Mic data, Key swipes, etc
Not defending it, just being as fair as possible and trying to be unbiased

>trying to be unbiased

You're not even trying mactoddler.

Enjoy your double botnet cuckOS, lmao.

>macOS
>business
Maybe just me, but I've never seen macOS used in a business other than a few local businesses.

I use Linux, I've said before that I have never used a Mac and I'm trying to be as unbiased as possible.

>I have never used a Mac
>but i'm going to make random claims about its security and stability

Mactoddlerism.

>Linux
>-shit for drivers
Will this meme ever die. There is a linux driver for literally everything useful on this earth

When GPU passthrough becomes babby tier easy I'll ditch Windows for good.

Nice VM mactoddler.

My Xbix360 controller spazzes out in Ubuntu after an hour or so of use, nothing like that on Windows

>Windows
does a lot of shit for everyone. it often just works, and you are happy if everything works, but you have no clue what it actually does nor do you care

>macOS
you like to feel superior. after some time you even might believe that. it's like using something that looks shiny and is easy but still locks you out of advanced stuff until you forcefully break some walls. good middle-ground actually, but certainly not better in any way than any other OS. just different, yet still the same.

>Linux
a box full of legos. you can built a strictly blue house, or a pod racer. You need, however, follow the not always up2date instruction until you can built it like you designed it. some also like to create unique pieces, however no normalfag could ever reach that level without interest.
you can basically do anything you want, if you bring attention to detail.

So, imho Linux.
It can do everything, but is not built around being easy, it's built for functionality.

Windows is built for no-brainers (aka 90% of humanity)

macOS is built for ??? but gets marketed as "the solution to your non-existent problem"

And my PS3 controller works out of the box on Linux.

Nothing like that on Windows.

I genuinely don't understand why macOS is even a thing.
Any useful program will work on either Windows or Linux, and both of those OSs have their strengths.
What does macOS even bring to the table?

There is no objectively better. Use what suits your needs best:

>Windows
If you enjoy games, work at a business with a proprietary software, work at a business without a proprietary software

>GNU/Linux
If you want to feel smarter, and enjoy patching issues and solving problems every other day. Also good for if you're too poor to pay the $20 it costs to get windows.

>OSX
Don't like expending much effort with the computer, would rather pay a premium for someone else to do it. Also good if you enjoy things that look and feel nice.

In summary: Operating systems have reasons to be good and circlejerking about Linux will never make it go mainstream.

You could swap macOS and Linux in that post and it would be just as valid (i.e. not)

Keep it Civil user, refrain from attacking users of the OS's or other Anons

GNU/Linux is best

if we isolate the operating systems on their own merits then Linux > OS X > Windows

if we take the overall experience of using them into account and all the third party support then Windows > OS X > Linux

Please give points on why it's the best and try to be unbiased user

You're a fag

Homosexuality.

There is really nothing to debate. You can't have civil discuss with fanatics nor can you with idiots.
Pic related explains it all.

We've had some good responses, but now the thread is devolving into the usual fan-boys and elitism, it was fun while it lasted

What about... bear with me... leaving decision to pick operating system to an individual..?
I know, right, it's CRAZY! But maybe, just maybe, the individual in question picks what's best for him..?

What I mean it's so fucking stupid to discuss what is better... Like a fucking kindergarden
>spiderman is faster than batman!
>na-a! batman can beat spiderman!
God fucking damnit... Grow the fuck up and use what suits you, stop comparing what OS is better.

>osx
>farts dont smell like cum

I've used all 3 for real work. Best of each:

>Windows
Active Directory
Excel + statistics add-ons

>Mac
Jack of all trades. It doesn't do anything poorly, but not really the best at anything in my experience.
I don't do photo and video editing but supposedly it's great for that.

>Linux
Software development. Native docker support is immensely helpful.
Any devops or automation tasks.
Any server except Active Directory.

This thread wasn't made to show which OS is definitely the best, because there isn't a "best" OS. It was made to have a Civil Debate to be different than the usual
"Lal Linux is 4 fags"
"No Windows is!"
I just wanted to see if that type of thread was still possible on Sup Forums

Shameless self bump

Maybe, but that doesn't imply what you said, that the OS reports files and file contents to Microsoft. So you were just BSing.

Been using macOS mainly for the past month or so. There's some things I REALLY like about it, but you just run into some bizarre bullshit every now and again. OpenGL specifically is really funky, even on Sierra.

In general though, it's a very useable, good feeling Unix environment with good commercial software. For 90% of people, it's a good choice and kind of already does what a lot of "ease of use" Linux distros have been going for.

>using a prank as proof of your claims

You're literally retarded.

I've used all three extensively, and I'm probably older than most of you retards. I started with Windows 98 (although I had used W95 at friends' houses). I learned to program with Windows: Turbo Pascal 6, Visual Basic, then Visual C++ 6. I have to laugh when someone says Linux is somewhat better for programming. Anyway, after that I installed Red Hat, Debian, Ubuntu... It was a lot of fun. Then I bought a MacBook because there were student discounts at college and because why not try something different. I became a rabid Apple fanboy and used OS X, although I installed Linux in all my Macs too and used them sometimes. After Yosemite I started disliking OS X, started using Linux completely. Then I bought a cheap Lenovo laptop for home use (I have a separate work laptop) with Windows 10. Best OS I've ever used. It combines things from OS X/Linux (Task view like Expose, virtual desktops, trackpad gestures) with classical Windows.

Windows is by far the best of the three. You have total hardware compatibility, best third-party support, a comfy DE with plenty of features and consistent key shortcuts by default, you can install it in any x86-compatible computer out there without having to spend +$1000 on it, and W10 feels fast and smooth as fuck. Linux can be fun if you like computers, and I recommend everyone to at least try it and play with it. That assuming it's compatible with your hardware. But besides that, there are too many problems and annoyances to consider it a viable alternative to Windows for the long term. Most people I know from college that liked Linux ended up getting a Mac. And if you really like a UNIX-like shell, I would recommend OS X, but in my opinion it's not worth the higher price, especially since Yosemite.

Rip thread

>Mac
Never used one
>Linux
Neckbeards flagship
>Windows
If you're not paranoic

this...

>no driver API like windows, osx or solaris
Enjoy making new, obscure or complex hardware to work.

You actually believe Linux will stop fedz... I know some and only a small % are truely botnet free this is just a meme for ,/g

Anyone can get any version of Windows for free.

Linux is freedom. Fuck everything else, especially OP.

For people who need the extra supported software compared to linux but hate windows for one reason or another I'm guessing. I've never used mac though

GNU/Linux because it hands you the control of your own fucking computer, while the others give it to some nontransparent company who in effect lease it back to you.

/thread

Schizophrenics are contained to sir.