Should you ever defrag an SSD?

Should you ever defrag an SSD?
Yes, this creates unnecessary read/writes, but I think we are past the point where that could lead to an earlier SSD death.

So does defrag imporve performance, or degrade it on an SSD.

Other urls found in this thread:

hanselman.com/blog/TheRealAndCompleteStoryDoesWindowsDefragmentYourSSD.aspx
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Defragging an SSD makes its data more sequential, which is always better. Of course, if you are a sane individual, you use wear-levelling, in which case it is impossible to guarantee the data will be sequential anyway.

>Should you ever defrag an SSD?
Should you ever rewind a DVD?

It degrades SSD life and does not increase performance AT ALL, since access to all sectors is instant anyway.

defrag then format

Leave Sup Forums & kill yourself.

What about the max defrag limit?

-a

What are you talking about?
Are you retarded?

Yes it's important that the data be arranged in proper rows because of the spindle and rotation they use in SSDs.
Don't forget to defrag your usb thumbdrive too.

>Being this moronic in 2017

> he fell for the bait

the only one that needs to leave is you

Such is life when you use windows, however you could install an EXT4 driver for windows and you won't need to defrag every week, but this can only apply to a non-system drive, I don't think it's possible to have anything other than NTFS for the C: drive.

windows cannot see the sectors as they really are, only what the firmware presents, so defregging is pointless. the drives controller takes care of any necessary mantainence

>lelelele so funny! hahaah XDD I WAS JUST TROLLING LOLOL JUST A PRANK BRO
get to the oven

SSDs don't store data on a spinning magnetic disk.
There's no reason in any way whatsoever to defrag an SSD.

>>Sup Forums

you need to go back

>Defragging an SSD makes its data more sequential, which is always better.
"Your internet cable is clogged with viruses" tier comment.

Defragging an SSD will hurt your performance, not help it. In SSDs, having blocks arranged in any way besides what the controller would implement means fewer bits spread across dies, which means less parallelism, which means lower throughput to exploit. You want the load distributed across all the NAND available, not just a single chip, or you run into a massive bottleneck. One of the reasons why larger dies aren't used in small SSDs.

This pic is the one thing i miss about windows.

When i was a kid i liked watching the colors clear as i defragged.

Thanks Torvalds. You've forever robbed me of that joy.

>i showed my newfaggotry
>better insult him, tha'll show him

Awesome comment! Thanks.

go back to Sup Forums you non binary leftist scum

Are you?

Google it

This is correct, but there is a upper limit to file fragmentation.

I don't know how many parallel paths an SSD can access a single file, but I'm fairly sure that if a file is in 250 fragments it's going to degrade performance, or become inaccessible.

>taking the bait

Stay in there please

If the file is fragmented across different die, I'm sure it would be faster. Like how a RAID 0 array works with data.

I used to defrag my CD-RW's as a teen.

the drive controller does this silently in the background. the only time you get degraded performance is when you are nearly full and the drive has no empty space for garbage collection and general mantainence, or the drive is very worn and has written off a few of its cells

Number one thing to do in order to increase your SSD life tenfold is not install Windows on it, as it constantly reads and writes to the goddamn harddrive, even if you're not explicitly running any program.

At work we noticed this trend long ago even on spinning platter, machines running *nix had harddrives living ten times longer than machines running Windows.

Yes, but it doesn't work like a regular defrag.

hanselman.com/blog/TheRealAndCompleteStoryDoesWindowsDefragmentYourSSD.aspx

Do you have brain damage?

If you are using any defrag software made in the past 7 years, defragging an SSD will just run the TRIM command and will not degrade the SSD's life.