/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice:
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in >Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread -

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=L34S4Tt1EuQ
youtube.com/watch?v=LgV6lTVtoTA&t=8s
innerfidelity.com/images/UltrasonePRO900.pdf
head-fi.org/f/threads/how-to-automatically-eq-your-headphones-to-online-measurements-a-step-by-step-guide.854773/
theheadphonelist.com/headphone-list/?model_search=&headphone_price1=100&headphone_price2=1000&average_rating1=9&average_rating2=10&sound_rating1=9&sound_rating2=10&build_rating1=0&build_rating2=5&isolation_rating1=0&isolation_rating2=5&comfort_rating1=0&comfort_rating2=5µphone_rating1=0µphone_rating2=5&accessibility_rating1=0&accessibility_rating2=5
hifimediy.com/sabre-dac-uae23
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I prefer on-ear.

What is the second best headphone behind the HD600?

HD650 ofc

>second best
You mean the HD600.

I bought a pair of Sennheiser HD600s in the year 2000, talk about ahead of the game.

Update your life. MSR7 are the new meta, have been for a while.

>MSR7

Looks like they probably sound pretty nice, if a bit deficient in the upper midrange.

Why is no one recommending Utlrasone pro 900? Better closed headphones literally don't exist. Also what's really weird about them is how well they handle equalization. You can literally make them sound any way you want.

>Ultrasone

I need a recommendation. I want good sound isolating iems and good sound. Looking into the 1more triple drivers. Don't wanna spend more than 100.

b-b-baka

>better closed headphones literally don't exist he said
Christ, these are as bad as DT990.
>Also what's really weird about them is how well they handle equalization. You can literally make them sound any way you want.
You can literally make most headphones sound any way you want.

Etymotic MK5

try adding lows to HD 598 and they turn into shit

>Ultrasone
youtube.com/watch?v=L34S4Tt1EuQ

You can bring the sub-bass up to the midbass's level on the 598 (and most open dynamics) without audible distortion. Any more bass than that is excessive.

A graph is not a headphone, especially considering how weird is the design of this one is. I really think you should try them, not just judge them by a shitty graph. Yes they are not very good out of the box, but I don't think there are many better sounding headphones and for sure there not better sounding closed headphones.

>A graph is not a headphone
Correct. It is an objective representation of a headphone's timbre. In this case, the timbre is objectively shit.

Are you sure we are talking about the same headphones? The moment I introduce even slight lows bump they being sounding veiled as fuck.

>for sure there not better sounding closed headphones.
Status CB-1 measure better than your shitcans and are $79.

Then boost the fucking upper mids and/or treble, or reduce the midbass a bit before bringing the subbass up to the midbass's level. It's not my fault you don't know how to EQ. I bet you even use a graphic equalizer.

Too bad I own literally every meme headphone on this board, this does not work on me. Status CB-1 are literally garbage.

Sony XB950BT are the best over ear, bluetooth headphones you can get for under $100 new

That's literally what I am doing. Veilheiser fanboys rejoice.

>PRO 900
youtube.com/watch?v=LgV6lTVtoTA&t=8s

innerfidelity.com/images/UltrasonePRO900.pdf jesus the bass on these has about 500% too much melanin.

>I bet you even use a graphic equalizer.
>That's literally what I am doing.
Confirmed for don't know how to EQ.
>graphic equalizers

I bought a pair for work. Very uncomfortable for me. Been trying to get rid of them since.

Idol trash here.
What's your setup like, user?

ZMF Eikon

>MMCX connectors
>Durability (Machined) ≥500 cycles
wat

does this mean if I removed and attached the cables for headphones/earphones with this connector, it will be dying after a year and a half?

I shill beyerdynamic in these threads but I'm surprised at the reaction of the used market to the availability of the hd 6xx group buy. There are an abundance of second hand hd600s at $200 and less.
I've never even heard a pair of sennheisers, looking forward to picking up a pair when I get my student disbursement check.
If anyone needs a pair US ebay has a bunch up right now

Im not sure why this is though, I personally would want an authentic HD650, if I was in the market.

>I personally would want an authentic HD650, if I was in the market.
so would I, but 50% off for what is basically the same thing is hard to pass.

HD580

ok fuck this. I think I'll finally give in and just do it. These are endgame-tier for closed headphones, right? I'm happy I learned about this before wasting money on a TH-X00 or Emu Teak I guess, but I'm still hesitant.

Are the X2s only available used? I've been pleased with SHP9500 and thought they would be a good upgrade.

X2 a shit. Get an HD6XX instead.

>shipping in December

No thanks.

>budget
$600 inc dac; flexible
>location
united states
>source
my pc nothing else
>type
either iem or open, whichever doesnt sound like mud
>comfort required
godlike comfort. so probably iem.
>signature
something not muddy all over. neutral I guess.
>history
i have hd439s (from highschool days) and they're too fucking muddy. i think my car has better sound.

have you heard the difference between the 1987 emi Abbey Road and the black triangle? I want hardware that sounds like the black triangle.

Just save up and get an HD600.

can someone help me EQ my superlux hd668b.
the treble hurts my ears at times.

HD600

So I guess I should come back at another time to ask my question.

head-fi.org/f/threads/how-to-automatically-eq-your-headphones-to-online-measurements-a-step-by-step-guide.854773/
Use this image as reference. It's diffuse field compensated.

Why not raw response?

As an addendum, while the example in the guide EQ's 20 Hz to 10,000 Hz, in your case it's probably OK to EQ 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz, the range of human hearing, since your headphone's high frequency extension is a lot better than the MDR-V6's.

>+7db at 8.5k

my dt 990s are laughing at the poor treble resolution

If you EQ that graph to flat you'll have headphones neutral to the diffuse field curve. If you then follow one of the suggestions in that guide for what to do with diffuse flat EQ settings (treble reduction, gently downward sloping line or Harman target) you'll end up with something great sounding.
EQing a raw response to a flat line will produce something that doesn't sound very good and will be very deficient in the upper mids.
EQing Headroom's compensated response to flat and adjusting it from there is better than EQing Headroom's raw response to a target curve and adjusting it from there because Headroom's compensation uses a target curve specifically designed for their specific dummy head.

Okay, get an X2 then.

are you guys all headphones or earphones too?

hey guys so i received my onkyo dpx1a dap today and hooked them up to my ca andromedas. however, on soft parts or whenever i lower the volume down to a minimal level, there is a good amount of static/distortion. does anyone know why or how to fix it? im also using spotify premium as my source. thanks!

Headphones (Over ear/on), earphones (IEMs/Earbuds) and Speakers.

Just updated this link with instructions on how to adjust diffuse field flat EQ settings to Brüel & Kjær's optimum hifi curve (pic related).

External DAC

doesn't do it on my macbook or iphone though

>"optimum"

wtf i love apple now

but it already has a dedicated internal dual dac

>Budget $600
>Location California
>Source ??
>Type of headphone the ones that go over my ears
>Open or closed Open/no real preference
>Comfort level Comfy pls
>Sound signature ??
>Past headphones 598

I don't really know what all these fancy terms people use mean but whats the best DAC/Amp and headphone combo I can get for around 500-600? My current headphones aren't too bad btw, so mainly looking for an amp thing

Check out the Schiitr if you're in the LA area.

Why is the hd600 usually suggested over the Etymotic er4? The er4's frequency response looks better than anything else I've seen and they're only like $300.
Really thinking about getting a pair.

Im was looking through my audio settings and saw this on Dell Audio

What the fuck does it do?

amp y/n, probably.

It physically changes the size of your headphones.

I'm considering IEMs. theheadphonelist.com/headphone-list/?model_search=&headphone_price1=100&headphone_price2=1000&average_rating1=9&average_rating2=10&sound_rating1=9&sound_rating2=10&build_rating1=0&build_rating2=5&isolation_rating1=0&isolation_rating2=5&comfort_rating1=0&comfort_rating2=5µphone_rating1=0µphone_rating2=5&accessibility_rating1=0&accessibility_rating2=5

$400 would be ideal. of the ones there with high 'sound' scores, the Alclair Reference is $400, custom art Fibae 1 is $350, CTM-200 is $400, westone W40 is $500, in-ear SD3 is $480, and earsonics ES3 is $400. should I be considering anythng else?

I EQ my speakers to that curve and they sound like sex with mai waifu. I suppose you know more about audio than the world's largest manufacturer and supplier of sound and vibration measurement equipment, though.

Im asking this seriously.

delete that shit

>seriously using dell drivers

My Looseheiser HD800 have spent the last 24 hours wrapped super tight with elastic bands, this better make them actually fit snug or I'm going to be mad.

HD600 + hifimediy.com/sabre-dac-uae23 + Magni 2

The official headphone of /hpg/

Yes, ER-4SR sound better than HD600 or any other headphone, but most people won't want to have Etymotics in their ears all day long. They're far from optimal for long-term comfort.

1/10

You must have a small head. Also, Hotaru a cute, but Komari a cuter.

more like normies valley

I would seriously delete/disable that software. The only system-wide audio enhancements you will ever need are Equalizer APO and, if you game, Razer Surround Pro, which, while it doesn't work with Equalizer APO, has its own EQ. Yes, you can pirate Razer Surround Pro. If you don't desire EQ then free Razer Surround is fine; block Synapse in your firewall after logging into it once because it's spyware.

>rapey treble = Mt. Clinton

I had L2's and upgraded to X2's. I believe they stopped production of X2's recently, hence why they are only available used.

I can't speak for the 9500's, but going from the L2's to the X2's was a jump worth having. X2's sound clearer (but not totally clear when compared to ad1000x) with more soundstage and better bass (quantity and quality, but not total bass cannons unless you put leather pads on them).

Having said that, the jump was only a $30 difference as I got the L2's for $130 and the X2's for $160. If you can get them under $200, that'd be great. Anything approaching the MSRP would be silly because there are better alternatives once you get up there (hd6xx for example, but then you'd need an amp).

tl;dr: Wurf if you don't have an amp and can get them under $200.

HD600, Schiit Uber Stack.

What do you think of the th-x00? I bet you hate them

These dudes are in Valencia? Holy shit, thats 15 minutes away provided it's not 4-5pm

>You must have a small head
I don't think I do because the HD650's I have grip like shit. I just find my HD800's slip around a lot if I tilt my head forward or back and it's really annoying, I think its the weight more than anything.

Looks slightly dark from the measurements; close to Harman target. Not really my thing but I bet bassheads will like them.

So you haven't actually heard them

The nice thing about measurements is they're not subjective.

Don't worry guys, I'm here to free you from the clutches of lumpy mid rolled of treble hd600 meme phones.

Don't spend $300 on shit-tier weeb phones, recommended by people who haven't listened to music.

hd580

$50 for ear impressions, then $400 for CIEMs. y/n

then recommend a pair of headphones that cost less than $600

Thoughts on m50x? Like honestly no meme bs about them

show your setup plebmaster

your ears change shape over time, you'll probably need new impressions done every 10 years

M50 were only worth buying when they were cheap. M50x are too bass-heavy for their price.

Hifiman he-560
Fostex-x00
Monoprice m1060 (inb4 memelord links the graph that every headphone in the same class suffers from the same ringing)

This is my setup because I'm not a NEET faggot :^)

Do you use your eyes to listen to music?