Someday are people going to ask "what's on fiber?" just like we say now "what's on cable?"

Someday are people going to ask "what's on fiber?" just like we say now "what's on cable?"

Other urls found in this thread:

broadbandnow.com/Verizon-Fios
techblog.comsoc.org/2017/06/15/verizons-huge-increase-fiber-investment-for-5g-small-cells-fttp/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Fiber cables are cables

>just like we say now "what's on cable?"
Who the fuck says this...?

I say what's on TV, if anything.

But since I don't even have TV service anymore, it's a fairly unused phrase in my life.

implying TV won't be done for by the time fiber becomes mainstream

>not saying whats on the tely?
>not saying whats on the tube?

Funny joke no one watches TV anymore, they haven't since 2006.

Wow user, you really blew me the fuck out there
I'm sorry for doubting your genius

The only people I know with TV service are old people(40+).

I mean, what's the point of paying more for a select few channels, when you can just stream or direct download everything.Even my parents have an Amazon FireStick

The whole TV business model is outdated.

>Switched to Comcast
>Lady tries to get me to sign up for their TV bundle
>"We offer the best blah blah channels
>Tell her no thanks
>"You don't..watch TV..?"
>"No."
kek

I got TV from my ISP because without TV it was $130 for 1gbps.

With TV it was $95.

>millennial jewtube reaction image

No. Same reason it's still called a sex tape when nobody has used an actual magnetic tape to record in years.

>virtual fiber

>be leaf
>have Bell Fibe
>it's just ADSL on copper

Develop your hypothesis

>called "Fibe" because if they used the word "Fiber," they would be liable to lawsuits for false advertising

>be amerifat
>have Verizon FiOS
>it's real fiber with symmetric down/up speeds.
>1gbps for $69.99
>no data caps

I guess i'm the exception to the rule, but i've been blessed by ISP gods.

>I guess i'm the exception to the rule
Yes.
Verizon FiOS is literally only in 5 fucking states, around New York. Fuck you

broadbandnow.com/Verizon-Fios

Comcast tech here

You mean coax you retard? Fiber to the home is a rarity and honestly you aren't going to notice much of a difference than your standard HFC plant structure anyhow

>comcast tech here

$.35 have been added to your Comcast Swag Store account.

What are you viewing on the boob tube, dad?

To be fair, the population density, and the average income in these states is far higher than most of the rest of the country.

Not to mention the governmental agencies scattered throughout the area that need fiber connections.
Comcast offers FTTH in my area.

>Comcast tech here
I feel genuinely bad for you. I know how they went to shit just in the last 10 years.

>you aren't going to notice much of a difference
>you aren't going to notice much difference in a 1000x speed increase in upload

maybe if all you do is browse facebook and twitter, which I guess is what most ISP's think your average person does.

>average income in these states
That's because the cost of living is higher, like living in California Bay Area where making 3 figures is considered poor.

>That's because the cost of living is higher
Yeah and? The companies have to make back their investment. Laying fiber isn't cheap, ONTs aren't cheap, long term upgrades for PON networks aren't cheap.

Do you actually utilize 2gbps down/up, on a daily basis?

You'd need an SSD to even see those speeds

No, I have 1gbps for half that cost from Verizon.

There is simply no need for 2gbps with my current network setup. I'd have to replace all my CAT5e drops with CAT6a, I'd have to upgrade my switches, and my router with 10gbps NICs. I'd need to upgrade my computers with 10gbps NICs.

They also charge $1000 in installation fees.

The good part of the service is that it's 2.2gbps provisioned with a direct SFP+ fiber connection to your door, they give you a static IP address, and they don't have any data caps (so no bullshit $50 upcharge for "unlimited' data).

If I had the equipment already i'd consider it, but for now 1gbps is more than good enough and it's half the cost per month.

And it means mentioning average income is pointless since it's inflated.

>Laying fiber isn't cheap, ONTs aren't cheap, long term upgrades for PON networks aren't cheap.
These are multi-billion dollar companies that run a fucking monopoly on the entirety of the United States.

Every other first world country has done it, AND offer WAY cheaper plans. Actually, even some third world countries have better fiber.

I don't want to hear your bullshit excuses about groundwork not being 'cheap' by greedy ISP's who have consistently been ripping off the public.

>1000x faster
>Current coax HSI speeds are 1Gbps in most regions

You literally have no idea what the fuck you are talking about

Don't, working for the devil is great. I have every channel, the X1 DVR, 250mbps internet all at $32 bucks a month.

Company pays for everything, all of my clothes (short of socks and underwear), boots, tools, company truck I can take home, iPhone, iPad, Laptop. Benefits are amazing.

All of the countries you're talking about are smaller than our largest state.

Hell, plenty of them are smaller than Ohio.

Look at our population.

~1/2 of the population of europe, in 2x the space.

The math simply doesn't work in favor of the states that don't have large wealthy population centers. The north east is one such area in the US, and it's why we have multiple fiber choices.

> (You)
>Comcast offers FTTH in my area.

Nice, you in Twin? Or Colorado?

Washington DC area.

>Current coax HSI speeds are 1Gbps in most regions
Upload speeds? Nope.
I barely even get 1gps down speeds. Most of the time it's only 10% of that.

I want my real fiber.

>X1 DVR
Now I feel even worse for you.

k

Pretty much this, it wont be a question of "what's on tv" so much as kids demanding to watch a lets player, minecraft, or some kids show.

1Gbps have a 50mbps upload

Regardless unless you have an idea on how plants work FTTH isn't going to magically give you synonymous speeds

>that speed

>I barely even get 1gps down speeds. Most of the time it's only 10% of that.
That's because they don't let you use full bandwidth until you've saturated your connection for a period of time. It makes sense from their perspective, but it works like shit.

Isn't it Fibre?

guess this proves you wrong.

Pretty much everyone that has an actual fiber plan isn't complaining about having their advertised speeds.

But go check out Comcast's forums or the sub-reddit for it. All you see are "getting shit speeds'.

>Fibre
>french spelling
neck yourself auscanzuk

Fuck off britbong

>until you've saturated your connection for a period of time
What does that even mean?
That I have to basically self limit my bandwidth to avoid throttling?

I should be able to download 700GB in 1 day if I feel like it.

I'm in the same predicament. $65 for TV+Internet or $75 for just internet.

TV will survive only because it is operated by all major ISPs.

No, they throttle you from the outset. You are dynamically provisioned extra bandwidth as needed. Other ISP's probably do this too, but Cumcast just sucks at it.

i'd just pay the extra $10 so tv will fuck off already.

>I should be able to download 700GB in 1 day if I feel like it.
Then you go over their """unenforced""" 1TB cap in two days, and are fucked anyway.

This. Been working for Charter for over a year and coax is the only plant type going to residential homes. Fiber is typically exclusive to businesses. I don't want to imagine a future where we build fiber to every home. Our plant system maps would look chaotic...

>what's on the subway
what

Yet Verizon and Frontier manage to do it, along with Google and other smaller ISP's. It's just an excuse to keep your 30+ year old infrastructure. Even slow fiber outperforms DOCSIS any day.

Frontier FiOS is also around (where Verizon sold off their territories) TX,CA,FL,IN,WA

Verizon itself wants to get out of the wireline business and go strictly wireless(cell) though officially they tell anyone who asks that they don't plan on selling off the rest of their territories, even though again at the beginning "Verizon" FiOS wasn't just in PA, NY, DC, MD, VA, MA, CT

>. I don't want to imagine a future where we build fiber to every home

Why desu?

>Other ISP's probably do this too
Never experienced any type of throttling when I was with AT&T. I got exactly what I paid for, all the time. Never and dips or hiccups.

Then I recently switched to Comcast and suddenly I can never constantly get my advertised speeds. It dropped to 25mbps and 0.1mbps upload for 4 days straight once.

>"""unenforced""" 1TB cap
And this is what pisses me off the most.

"Oh, you'll get unlimited data, as in you're not charged for going over, but if you actually go over 1TB, we'll randomly throttle the fuck out of your connection and it'll stay shit until the next billing cycle."

No they won't. Cable TV is dying and streaming services are what's killing it. People will (already do) say "What's on Netflix?", or "What's on Hulu?".

>whats on the sub station II
what

I can almost guarantee you that lady didn't watch TV either until she worked at Comcast, since they probably forced her to get the bundle.

>both my roommates work at Comcast
>they were both debt collectors before that
My house is the paragon of moral degradation.

>implying that investment isn't easily recovered
A local fiber company is laying fiber in my area and I'm fucking stoked. No install fee, no contract, no promo pricing, just gig service @ $70/month. They've been expanding their area for years and I'm hella glad, fuck Comcast.

samefag , to add, I am in TX (Frontier FiOS) - Verizon has licensed the "FiOS" TM to Frontier Communications in all of Verizon's former territories.

what

Google Fiber was supposed to come here, but their expansion stopped thanks to Comcast/AT&T lobbying against them and making it a nightmare to do their jobs.

This forced major ISP's in my area to roll out with fiber plans. However now that they see Google Fiber expansion has stopped, they've also stopped, so now only Comcast's ridiculously overpriced fiber is available.($300 /mo, $1000 installation fee)

>Comcast's ridiculously overpriced fiber is available.($300 /mo, $1000 installation fee)
They pay for up to $15,000 in install costs, so they're not exactly fucking you over, it's just expensive as fuck to lay dedicated fiber.

It's easier when the fiber has been laid and you can just ugrade the OLTs and ONTs at each end of the fiber. It's far more expensive when you're setting fiber up from scratch.

>you can just ugrade the OLTs and ONTs at each end of the fiber
This is what Verizon is doing.

They just have to upgrade the OLTs to XG-PON2 and the ONTs can be left alone until they need the extra bandwidth for consumers.

XG-PON2 can support up to 40Gbps per fiber strand with an advanced enough ONT. Verizon has plans for small/medium business level 10gbps by 2020, and 40gbps sometime later in the decade.

That is if they would find a way to just sell off what territory they have left to Frontier Communications. The only reason Verizon hasn't sold off their remaining territories is because of the unions in the east. Otherwise Frontier would have the rest. Verizon sees more profit from their wireless, and would prefer to just go wireless.

It would make reading our system maps very difficult for one, with fiber lines going everywhere. Unlike coax where a line can have multiple taps on it feeding the buildings nearby as it goes along, fiber requires its lines being built directly into every building. I'm not an expert on the construction side of things, but it also makes me wonder if we'd even be capable of putting so much fiber plant on your average utility poles.

>They pay for up to xxx
Which they recoup in taxes and then some.
Also $15k would be a city block, or a suburban square mile.

Lol fuck off, they're using the FiOS network in the north east as the basis for their 5G backhaul.

They aren't getting rid of it in the north east, it's their bread and butter.

That's why they didn't sell it to frontier in the first place, they sold off the bits that were way the fuck on the west coast and further south, and they were the least profitable of all the FiOS areas.

No, it's $15k per, Comcast techs have confirmed it elsewhere online, the criteria for you to be eligible for install is it must be within 1/3rd of a mile to the closest fiber box, and the total cost must come in under $15,000. Though they obviously aim for it to be much cheaper if possible (and most tend to be around $6-10k)

>See one guy has it so that must mean you're wrong

...right again, FTTH doesn't mean anything unless the NODE and Headend support synonymous speeds, then you have to build the infrastructure on top of it.

As far as your "hurp durp check Reddit" that means jack shit. I work with this shit and 99% the reason people get shit speed is because of diy retards who buy garbage quality coax and splitters, then there's the other aspect of idiots who think the 2.4ghz is gonna magically produce speeds past the 50mbps threshold.

Not to mention cheap ass modems that only bond four channels, and then the insane amount of busted ass computers running 5 different antivirus progs.

You're strawman nigga

Yeah, even with 1gbps fiber, most people use client devices that simply can't achieve 1gbps speeds reliably.

Or they're using an AC1900 router and expecting 1gbps through the air from 3 rooms away using a laptop from 2010.

With the proper setup however I have also seen a Macbook pro 2015 get over 900mbps from ~10 feet away from a Unifi AC HD access point.

One thing 1gbps does for sure is show you the weak links in your network.

I'd believe that if they were using solid gold wiring dipped in the Queen's urine.
Or they're inflating costs for tax reasons, either/or.

Unless you work in the business don't talk as if you know anything. Those ISPs are hemorrhaging money to upkeep those fiber nodes and headends. Why do you think Google hasn't announced an expansion in for fucking ever?

Shit is costly to keep running, they even upped their pricing to keep a float. Verizon and Frontiers FTTH plants are like an 8th of the size of an HFC plant.

Keep talking though, your ignorance keeps me smiling.

You have no idea how much it costs to pay mexicans to dig trenches and run fiber. Not to mention the cost of the fiber itself, and the cost for an engineer to do a site evaluation and plan out the work, etc.

$15,000 includes everything.

>
>>Comcast's ridiculously overpriced fiber is available.($300 /mo, $1000 installation fee)
>They pay for up to $15,000 in install costs, so they're not exactly fucking you over, it's just expensive as fuck to lay dedicated fiber.
>It's easier when the fiber has been laid and you can just ugrade the OLTs and ONTs at each end of the fiber. It's far more expensive when you're setting fiber up from scratch.

Fucking this

>Those ISPs are hemorrhaging money to upkeep those fiber nodes and headends
Lol?

It's passive fiber, OLTs at the CO last for several years at least before you'll be upgrading to a new standard. ONT's are forwards compatiable with newer OLT's so unless you need more bandwidth you don't have to upgrade a customers ONT until you request a service speed that would require it. Allowing you to keep older ONT units in use.

You seriously don't know what you're talking about, at least regarding Verizon FiOS. I have no real knowledge about Frontier FiOS.

Fuck off, frogposter.

>synonymous
>symmetric
ftfy

>I know about Verizon FIOS
>I don't know about Frontiers FIOS

You do realize it's the same shit right? Frontier is just taking over Verizon's network because the big check mark would rather throw up wireless towers and collect money with wireless spectrum than deal with premises and the upkeep that goes along with that.

>garbage quality coax and splitters
You mean like the ones you guys use, that had to be replaced twice by your techs and again when I switched to based Frontier?

They've been separated for almost 2 years and I have no idea if they've done anything to the existing network.

I simply don't want to speak about something i don't know about, and Frontier is an unknown quantity to me.

Shit, thanks for looking out user

Sure man, whatever you say. Now you're just trolling, move along

>I have no real knowledge about Frontier FiOS.

It is just Verizon's former FiOS territory. Most likely majority BPON and some GPON - whether or not Frontier plans to upgrade from GPON is unknown though.

A frontier tech was on here like 4 months ago and was claiming they'd start in 2018 upgrading the more profitable areas of the FiOS network to 1gbps like verizon has done in the north east.

>Those ISPs are hemorrhaging money to upkeep those fiber nodes and headends.
Yeah, I'm aware, but at least they're trying instead of waiting for the rug to come out from under them. But with Cumcast's admitted 80% profit margin, there should be more than enough to reinvest and start upgrades. The only issue is that you have to appease Wall St. instead of Main St. It should be both, but like any investor-oriented company, somebody will come and eat your lunch.

I get the same reaction from the AT&T salespeople in Walmart.

We're at the point now where Netflix et al. are household names, and people who actually go out of their way to brag about not watching TV are seen as annoying douches. So why are people still shocked when they ask someone and they reply the don't watch TV?

Need something for that butthurt?

You're confused

>Those ISPs are hemorrhaging money to upkeep those fiber nodes and headends.

At the end of 2016 FiOS had internet market penetration of 40.4%. Which is pretty impressive. it means of all their potential customers, 40% sign up for service with FiOS.
And while Verizon itself was in the red for last year, it's also taken on a lot of debt with it's recent acquisitions.

In the long run FiOS is making them money i'd bet. And at this point they've already invested ~$50B+ into the network, it'd be retarded to abandon it now, and I can't see anyone who would want to purchase it for a reasonable amount.

And you're a typical arrogant Cumcast prick. Literally why nobody wants your shitty service.

Yeah I'm not faulting anyone for trying to push back Comcast, the devil is pretty strong and it's to a point that it maybe too late to get some other company to scare them. This isn't like the big 3 automobile manufacturer where the gooks come in and bust your shit up.

I work for them but I don't rally their decision making one bit. They force this "it's for the customer, do what's right for the customer" horseshit but it's just a bunch of smoke and mirrors.

Again, you're confused. Go back/2/Reddit and have your circlejerk kid.

Also, it's not my company but thanks for playing

Yea just how people still "rewind" YouTube videos. Lexicon is here to stay.

>And at this point they've already invested ~$50B+ into the network, it'd be retarded to abandon it now, and I can't see anyone who would want to purchase it for a reasonable amount.

Bingo, that huge investment probably had a ton of investors pull out and left Verizon the majority of the bill so their profits hiccuped which in my personal opinion caused them to go into crisis mode rather than weather the storm so they started selling off to Frontier.

The other ISP to look at would be CenturyLink. They provide alot of backbone to Charter and Comcast. Specifically for the Midwest region.

Television companies will completely shut down because the internet replaced them.

>go into crisis mode rather than weather the storm so they started selling off to Frontier.
I guess that's why they're currently hiring network planning engineers for their XG-PON2 upgrade next year?

Must be a crisis mode thing.

>not my company
>implying that one devil is different from another

Someone been drinking too much of the DOCSIS koolaid.
Verizon sold off their worst performing areas and kept the shit that's literally printing them money. Most of the north east has been built out with their network for several years, all the costs they have right now are general upkeep, which is minimal. And since verizon has already announced plans to leverage their existing FiOS network for VZW's 5G backhaul, you can pretty much bet dollars to donuts, the north east chunk of the FiOS network will remain in verizon's hands for the foreseeable future.

techblog.comsoc.org/2017/06/15/verizons-huge-increase-fiber-investment-for-5g-small-cells-fttp/

This, I have never heard anyone ask "What's on cable?" before