Were you one of those idiots that kept your PC running at max performance, wasting a fuckton of electricity...

Were you one of those idiots that kept your PC running at max performance, wasting a fuckton of electricity, thinking these stupid programs would actually discover something?

Or were you smart enough to understand these were programs developed by bullshit, money leeching, scam groups simply trying to get people to donate money to their bullshit "scientific" research?

Other urls found in this thread:

theguardian.com/science/2015/may/05/microwave-oven-caused-mystery-signal-plaguing-radio-telescope-for-17-years
thesonntags.com/collatz/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I found an alien signal coming out of your butthole, sending in a probe now.

R E K T
E
K
T

post yfw realized seti is world's biggest but coin mining pool

I did the folding one back in the day.

holy shit
everyone check your scopes

you might be able to see the signal from my sides

Ah, I remember that.
>Friend wanted to know how my Celery was owning his P2.
>Didn't want to tell him to use the CLI version because it was fun beating him
>told him
>he built a cluster and there was no catching him ever again.

>absence of evidence is the evidence of absence
fuck off

Hey, we discovered that one microwave that someone kept using...
theguardian.com/science/2015/may/05/microwave-oven-caused-mystery-signal-plaguing-radio-telescope-for-17-years

I did Folding at Home on my PS3 back in the day. If I could go back in time I would kick my past self in the nuts for wasting my folk's electricity.

I hate summer Sup Forums

Waste of computing power

I'd rather mine buttcoins or crack passwords

folding was a thing 10+ years ago. Was even part of one of the biggest pools. Was a fad back then I guess.

if there is intelligent life out there I think they are likely so far ahead of us (like hundreds of millions of years) that they don't give a single fuck about us, if they do it's only to keep us from advancing significantly and exporting our charming brand of tribal warfare off world.

Whatup FoldBro, still got the PS3.

I forgot, what were we (((fighting)))? AIDS right?

that one folding proteins game actually accomplished stuff. I did a few games in that. I also remember an MIT student did a game for psychology on Sup Forums. You played as a server or customer at a restaurant.

I run BOINC until it gets too hot every year

>collatz conjecture

Please don't tell me they're just running through the collatz sequence starting with higher and higher numbers in an effort somehow prove or disprove the collatz conjecture

aylmao

thesonntags.com/collatz/
I think they have some optimizations and tweaks to help speed up the process but more or less thats what they're doing.

I'm not the other guy, I only use it for stress testing as the CPU workunits can take upwards of a week to chew through.

i still do i mean they havent found me yet so there is hope

I realized that the electricity bill isnt going to pay for itself and that this is the same tactic people use in botnet bitcoin mining.

enjoy your cracked gaymes kiddies!

That's why I ran things like Einstein@Home, Universe@Home and Asteroids@Home.

Literally doing work on actual data, instead of trying to find bullshit among noise.

>implying SETI@Home isn't work on actual data

the power company must love your dipshit ass

Why's he a dipshit?

Eh. I paid about 5-6,000yen a month.

SETI@home is mostly sifting through noise trying to find some magical signal they won't know until they find.

Maybe they will find something but maybe they won't. The likelihood is absolutely tiny because from even a couple of light years away our sun wouldn't even be visible to the naked eye, so why would an alien race even choose to fire something in this direction?

Einstein@Home and Universe@Home are processing received data from instruments, Asteroids@Home is making 3d models of asteroids in the asteroid belt. All far more useful than looking for some signal that probably won't even exist.

>they won't know until they find.
And they won't know they found it if they don't sift through the noise.
>so why would an alien race even choose to fire something in this direction?
They don't need to, they go out in all directions.
>All far more useful than looking for some signal that probably won't even exist.
The signal most likely exists, we just haven't found it yet. It may even just be the wrong time for us to be checking, but we can't afford to miss the opportunity to find it.

>They don't need to, they go out in all directions.
That requires a LOT of power user.

And the thing is that they're recording all this data, the community is just scrubbing it. They could scrub it themselves over a much longer period of time and it and it probably wouldn't make any real difference because it's pretty unlikely any signal would come from within a few 10s of light years of us.
If we take a few more years to find it it won't make a huge difference.

Measuring and understanding gravitational waves is useful to physics now. Mapping asteroids could lead to targets for future science missions and raw resources.

I actually used the Rosetta 3D-protein-structure prediction in several cases and it was actually helpful.
So thank you guys, I guess.

My dad was. I did folding@home on my PS3 because I was in uni and didn't give a fuck. Kept my room warm and played music through the surround sound and 1000w bass that was connected to it.

>The signal most likely exists, we just haven't found it yet.
Wrong.
Unless you're considering other galaxies, but then you're wrong again. Other galaxies are simply too far away to receive coherent signals from, and if there were space-faring civilisations in our own galaxy we'd have already have found them. Or rather, they'd have found us.
It would only take about 100,000 years for a civilisation to explore a galaxy. They stop off at one star for a thousand years and then launch 10 colonising parties to nearby stars. This pattern would see the galaxy colonised pretty fast. So generally how it works is in the long stretches of galactic time, as soon as a civilisation can colonise other worlds is pretty much the same time they colonise the entire galaxy.

Ergo there's no-one to talk to, either, since they don't have radio technology either. Assuming that the gap between space colonisation and radio discovery is less than 10,000 years, of course.

Parroting that line is the one of the most eternal summer thing you can do

The exoplanet one in Eve is nice. It does not waste power. It wastes your time

And considering you are wasting time in Eve anyway.