Was the Internet really better before 2007?

Was the Internet really better before 2007?

Other urls found in this thread:

wibr.me/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>before Miku
No.

>before yukkaris
Negative.

Windows vista and the wii were good, but I agree with the rest.

>Vista
>good
Having owned both Windows Vista and ME, I honestly can't say which was worse.
ME was somewhat fast but crashed.
Vista was horribly slow (utterly glacial in some respects), but it was mostly stable. But so was XP.

Rough start, yes, but it got significantly better with the first service pack.

Tech wise no, community wise yes.

2007 was when the internet slipped into normiedom, for lack of a better term.

It's all there in that image.
>iPhone brought mobile computing to the masses.
>twitter/facebook/tumblr rose to power
>"cake is a lie xD" style memes

It was also host to another shaping, but otherwise unrelated event: the crash of '07.

Turning points of eras don't fall neatly on decade lines, and I believe that 2007 marked the end of the otherwise prosperous economy and culture that had been on a general roll since '97 or '98. I'm not sure what it will be called.

I think we'll look back at 2007 - ?? as the social media/mobile revolution.

The memes were still fresh and not pure direct cancer.

There was less special snowflakes because not everyone had access to the internet, and smart phones were mostly in their infancy

Vista was a huge step forward that needed to happen, even if it wasn't polished like it should have been.

Basically every other major OS release by MS has been rough at first. 95 was good, 98/se was OK, ME sucked, XP turned out great, Vista was kinda shit, 7 was good, 8 was garbage, 10 has become workable.

what ruined the internet was smart phones. when the drooling retards and poor people came in

Retards are nothing compared to the ones who pretend they're retarded.

Windows 10 is distinctly the worst operating system i've ever used (not counting Redox, which is pre-alpha software)

Worse than Mac OS 9?

XP had best backgammon, it is the clear winner

Vista also dropped pinball

>Windows 10 is the only OS I've ever used
This site is 18+

Chanology protests were 2008.

By a fair margin; at least you can play a game of unreal on os9 without the OS leaking memory and shutting off your system because "it's not you're active hours :D"

But the Fox reports on Anonymous were what fed into Chanology

I've only ever dealt with the enterprise edition, with all of the bullshit stripped/disabled via GPOs.

Granted, you shouldn't have to de-shit your OS out of the box.

>OS leaking memory
You really don't belong on a tech board.

Vista was fine. It got a lot of bad publicity because a few loud assholes didn't know that their video card memory counts against the 4 GB memory addressing limit of the 32 bit architecture.

LTSB still includes the unremovable xbox app. And you still can't completely disable telemetry.

Windows 95
Windows XP
Windows Vista
Windows 7
Windows 8.1 (tested 8 on a tablet)
Windows 10
FreeDOS
Mac os9
OSX Mountain Lion
BeOS
Plan 9
Minux 3
HaikuOS
CentOS GNU/Linux
Debian GNU/Linux
Arch GNU/Linux (attempted Hurd to no avail) Manjaro GNU/Linux
Redox (LiveCD because it doesn't install)
and, of course iOS and Android

And i actually installed them (or they came installed) into systems, not through VM's for ricing threads.

2007 The common Pajeet wasnt on the internet yet

2007 was the worst year.

>2007
>Democrats cause the great recession
>Democrats force banks to lend to people who couldn't afford house payments
>Democrats use tax payer money to bail out GM and Chrysler
>Democrats proceed to blame Bush for the next 8 years

I've never seen the xbox app, and can guarantee that our machines aren't sending telemetry.
Maybe MS worked a deal with my employer (DoD). I'm a network admin, so I don't dive into the windows world too deep.

I wish the CIA would use their advanced technology to wipe our minds out of all that.

>XP boots in 20 seconds off a 7200RPM drive
>Vista boots in 1:30 off a 10,000RPM drive
>"this is fine"

>Vista sits there useless for 2 minutes after boot because Superfetch was set to Normal priority
>"this is fine"

>Vista's file transfers are measured in bytes per second.
>"this is fine"

>An hour to open a .zip file?
>"this is fine"

Laggy UI compared to instantaneous XP. Worse in games.
Vista was not fine.

I wish i had a screenshot, but after a fresh install, and subsequent update, I'd decided to leave the computer alone, only to have OS' services total over 2GB of data (yes, I only had 2 Gigs of ram in my W10 build, yes i'm poor, and yes, i'm insinuating that W10 should've been able to handle it), which black-screened me and eventually froze the computer.

And nobody uses any of those except 10 or 7. There's a reason for that.

I've used vista for years and don't remember any of that?

>turns off pagefile
>blames OS when he runs out of commit

>OS runs like shit on my shitty hardware, it has to be the OS

wibr.me/

see for yourself

Aside from viruses fucking everywhere and low quality videos and mp3s, yes it was.

It was a lot easier to find tits on photobucket

My PC had near top specs.

For what? Windows 2000?

X2 5200+, 2GB, 150GB Raptor, 320MB 8800GTS
80% of the performance of PCs costing thrice as much.

It was better in the way that torrenting albums was more efficient than subscribing to some music on demand streaming service. It was also a magical time when security was almost nonexistent.

>AMD x2
>2GB
>single Raptor

Thanks for confirming shitty poorfag hardware.

Yet it ran XP just fine until 2013.

Yes. You could actually go on the Internet without finding a kid for 5 seconds. Gaming was godlike; no longer was it the mainstream bullshit that has infected the market and spread shitty business practices and massive circlejerking on leddit, but instead , done by 15 year Olds on their mom's basement (and surprisingly , this was way superior). Computers weren't bloatware or Spyware filled devices out of the box , but instead, actual tools WE ourselves only could control and interact with. With the success of the Internet eventually , people started to get a hold of how this place could be a mean to get the ignorant public controlled even more . It should be a rule for all great things to be barred from the unintelligent and stupid population or we get people who just get compliant with every bullshit someone slightly more intelligent than them might want to use. Microsoft , Intel, governments. You know the drill. Those people would rather free themselves from having anything good if it meant any sort of trouble for them. That's why you don't see more people angry at windows. If this was before 2007 , even the slightest mention of how windows might be spying on us would have been enough to get them out of business forever. Nowadays, it's just a testament to their prowess and how people should cower and fear them. Nobody does anything. And the people who do , do to make things worse. This is why you can't give a computer to a monkey. Because a monkey will just shit on the computer then break it forever.

An OS that was 5 years old when Vista came out.

And it was only a couple months old when Vista came out.
Vista was shit.

>>>>>>>>Vista

The fact that your AyyMD gaymen rig was only a couple of months old when Vista came out doesn't mean anything. Socket 939 was shit. AMD hasn't had anything good since socket A.

I unironically like Windows Vista.

It was AM2.
I switched to 10 on a Xeon X3450 which came out six years before 10 did and it ran more than just "fine."

I guess x86-64 and integrated memory controllers are nothing

The biggest change came with the influx of new-gen social media. Even tumblr was decent at start, it was a modern wordpress basically with so many opportunities. Facebook, tinder, snapchat changed not just the internet, but the entire social life.
The sweat spot was around 2010, good enough technology, not enough cancer