Are there any computer cases with "Damascus steel" finish?

Are there any computer cases with "Damascus steel" finish?

pic related - knives with Damascus steel finish

Other urls found in this thread:

bladeforums.com/threads/need-help-with-mcusta-vg-10-vs-damascus.770290/#post-8608241
redbubble.com/people/hiimpactdolphin/works/19324724-counter-strike-global-offensive-cs-go-damascus-steel?p=laptop-skin
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

looks like sh*t

Doubtful. That shit would be tacky as hell and prohibitively expensive.

>looks like sh*t

Take it back.

Hopefully they will also do French embossed, reverse gold leaf glass finishes for the windows.

Those are actually bob Kramer knives and they're expensive as fuck because he one of a handful of blade smiths in the world capable of doing that sort of work. And he's one of the only ones in the US doing it for kitchen knives.

Most Damascus steel is just fancy pattern welding.

His knives can go for anywhere from ~$5,000-30,000+

Looks like shit

Doubt it, maybe encryption or old game prototypes, but nothing that can't be reverse engineered.

that still dont change the fact that it looks like shit

pay someone for a custom paint job

Thats forgotten technology, theres no way to replicate it.

>No way to replicate it
Wrong, we can get the look perfect. There's no currently known way to reproduce it in it's original form, but hot diggity damn have we gotten good at replicas.

>his pc case isn't the Ark of the Covenant
It'd be pretty hard because you would have to pattern weld multiple big sections of steel. Forging this small steel blade requires taking two steel billets and folding them over and over again, and then hammering that out. Now I originally thought buying sheets of this stuff would be very expensive, but it is only moderately expensive. Of course you would have to fabricate everything from the Damascus billets yourself.
Tbh it would probably look like shit scaled up to computer case size, but Damascus steel has always been about how unique it is. Plus you can get patterns that have much more order to them, so they would look better on a bigger surface.

you have shit taste we get it

wootz is a meme

proper blade steels surpassed it in the mid 20th century

This looks painted on.

Proper Damascus steel hasn't been beaten by any non-alloy steel. Inferior replica "Damascus" steel made today though? Yeah, it hasn't got anything on the original.

>MUH SEKRIT SWORDSMITHING TECHNIQUES

I think it looks pretty cool. Some designs look better than others but it's a nice effect. Doesn't photograph as well as it looks on a blade.

Also preference. It's not your thing. So glad you found something you don't like. Maybe you'll find other things you hate as well. That's always something to look forward to.

"""""""""""""""""""""""damascus""""""""""""""""""""""" steel

you could probably find someone that can do a wrap or paint dip

t. mad crusader

It is. We don't know how to make Damascus steel anymore so that is just acid etched.

You mean as in vinyl effect right?
Because if you mean actual Damascus steel you must be ballin hard.

Sup Forums is a KURDISH board
Bashar al-ASSad is a MURDERER

get the FUCK out

>Tacky, Expensive, A meme in every way
I'm surprised Linus hasn't done a video of this yet

That's not Damascus steel.

>wrong
>only able to replicate the look

stained glass side panel or bust

It is actually, or rather, the closest modern equivalent any american blade smith has yet created.

That is NOT pattern welding (the usual way smiths get the damascus look).

If you actually care to educate yourself, bob kramer is widely seen as the most talented american blade smith in the current era.

my case is made of steel folded over a thousand times by skilled japanese blacksmiths, OP. the things it cannot house are next to none.

> bob kramer is widely seen as the most talented american blade smith in the current era
Artfags always neurotically gang up on one guy that usually isn't that special. But circle jerk makes him the greatest and inflates the prices of his work.

Basically just avoid. Get the same -or quite likely something better- from another hard-working guy who is much less famous.

Lol, pretty much every blade smith in america except for the one or two guys who've trained under bob kramer would simply tell you he's the best.

Like I said, he's seen BY the blade smiths of the country as the best of the best. While his knives are essentially functional art, the function of his blades are second to none, and no matter what price you pay someone else, it wont be as good period.

Fanboy nonsense.

I'll even only start believing when scientific data over a bigger data set shows he's excessively good at a bunch of things at least.

Right now, I suspect the same artfag circlejerk as always.

>Fanboy nonsense.
says someone who has probably never even held a $500 knife, let alone a $5000+ knife.

Keep pretending kid, there is a reason he's as well respected as he is, and that his knives are only available by auction.

>We don't know how to make Damascus steel anymore
How stupid are you that you actually believe that?

The whole myth of "lost techniques" regarding Damascus steel was born out of the ridiculous claims made about it. It was claimed a sword made of Damascus could cleave a rock without chipping, therefore, if your steel isn't able to do that, it must not be Damascus.

Damascus steel is simply pattern-welded steel, NOTHING else. If there ever was some stupendously strong wonder-steel, everyone wouldn't simply forget how to make it. Museums are full of the stuff, there's nothing mysterious about it at all.

>Damascus steel is simply pattern-welded steel, NOTHING else
nope, Wootz steel and differential hardening are really what makes damascus steel, pattern welding has nothing to do with it besides how it looks.

In a metallurgical sense the reason we can't reproduce it 100% is we simply don't know the exact combinations of metals they were using, and it was such shitty quality mixed with impurities that modern attempts are simply too pure to be considered authentic damascus steel.

No one in the US is going to use Wootz steel, so anything made here can't be considered "real" damscus steel based on that alone. We don't use the proper steel.

However, what bob kramer does is with proper differential hardening using different thicknesses of clay along the blade to temper different sections of the blade at different temperatures. This is a VERY difficult process and took him over a decade to perfect. He's pretty much the only US smith to do differential hardening in this manner. Others will do some differential hardening, but bob kramer is the only one doing it to such an extreme degree.

Actually, I'm pretty sure my sister's custom made sword was over $5k in total, but I sure only held it, never actually used it. Her toy.

I regularly work with >$100 utility knifes anyhow and I possibly know more than you do about them.

> there is a reason he's as well respected as he is, and that his knives are only available by auction.
Yep. Artfag circlejerk. Doesn't mean the person in question is bad, but it means he is vastly overrated by artfags and collectors who circle jerk themselves to hell and back.

> Inb4 "Les femmes d’Alger" clearly shows Picasso was around 18 gorillion times a better artist than that guy doing nice street effect paintings for a bunch of donations. Also surely a thirty six thousand times better smith because his paints had some metals in it.

Damascus is JUST a pattern, doesn't matter if it was welded or hand forged into the metal
It's a meme, you dip, and you're paying for something that if you use it, it gets fucked up.

It'd be like paying for a loli with the perfect loli pussy. Touch it, it's ruined.

>buhbuhbuhbuh it looks kewl and damascus was some special bullshit 1000 years ago
Nop.

You guys are complete fucking plebs who know nothing about steel

>sure my sister's custom made sword

>Touch it, it's ruined
lololol

bob kramer knives have been used for YEARS of daily use and still look fucking fantastic, what are you talking about?

Pitch the idea to Alec Steele, he's retard enough to do it on stream.

Yeah champ I work with knives for a living and in no way is a blade not going to get altered by the work done.

You're paying for a Picasso painting that is capable of chopping beef flanks in half, and I'm telling you that once you start chopping beef flanks you no longer have a Picasso.

Arguing this is proof of retardation.

you're a fucking moron, when you sharpen the blade the patterns are throughout the entire blade, you aren't going to ruin it because it's not a finish on top, it exists throughout the blade.

>we simply don't know the exact combinations of metals they were using

Shut the bleeding fuck up, (you) imbecilic know-nothing.

Ya. I think she needed to prepare for marriage.

The sides will get scraped from the edge up, and anyone who actually needs a $5000 knife isn't buying one to use it, they'll pay $400 for something professional without your faggoty meme patterns.

>source
>I am executive chef
>for 8 years
>I get paid $$$$$ to teach people stuff about food
>almost nobody in the industry uses meme-ascus pattern knives

But I'm the moran, sure.

Lol you're such a moron and you're 100% full of shit that you're an executive chef.

This isn't a knife used in a professional kitchen, this is the knife a REAL executive chef keeps at home for his own personal use.
No moron would ever fucking use a $30,000 knife in a commercial kitchen. It isn't meant for that and you'd more than likely get some ham fisted cunt chipping it by trying to open a can with it.

However, if you think Anthony bourdain doesn't use his Kramer knife, you're a moron.

Also, the sides will get scraped up...? It has a concave blade profile so that doesn't happen, do you even know how to high end chef's knife bro?

>concave knives don't get scraped
Nigga, most knives are concave, and you tellin me that they shouldn't get scraped. Nigga you dumb

Lol, in a professional kitchen if you use someone else's knife they cut your finger off. You know Jack shit.

>rich TV persona spends inordinate money on meme-brand meme pattern weapons grade autism
Blew my mind with that one.

It's simple metallurgy. A forged blade of single-billet modern high performance material will always outperform a hand-forged mix of anything else.

VG-10 is an all around better steel than most true damascene blades.

also,
bladeforums.com/threads/need-help-with-mcusta-vg-10-vs-damascus.770290/#post-8608241
>but if you sharpen with [a knife hone] then you must be extra careful not to scratch the pattern.

>also,
>bladeforums.com/threads/need-help-with-mcusta-vg-10-vs-damascus.770290/#post-8608241
>>but if you sharpen with [a knife hone] then you must be extra careful not to scratch the pattern.
comparing a cheap shitty $200 VG10 to a $5000+ Bob Kramer.

Wow fucking amazing.

>A forged blade of single-billet modern high performance material will always outperform a hand-forged mix of anything else.

redbubble.com/people/hiimpactdolphin/works/19324724-counter-strike-global-offensive-cs-go-damascus-steel?p=laptop-skin

please don't buy this

Do you have any evidence that Kramer is actually making wootz type steel? His own website described his "damascus" as pattern welded.

Also, I think you are hyping him up a bit too much. Don't get me wrong, he's very good, but today there are a fair number of bladesmiths in the US embracing cutting edge metallurgy in their smithing and producing some incredible work.

Also there is essentially nothing in wootz steel of any special metallurgical value over and above what can be achieved by selected the correct steel formula and giving it an optimal heat treatment and geometry for the intended use.

As a kitchen knife blunts almost exclusively through cutting board contacts causing the apex to microscopically chip and roll and virtually not at all through abrasive wear, the theoretically optimal solution is to select a steel and heat treatment that absolutely maximizes apex stability without regard to abrasive wear resistance.

You get that from a carbon steel with a carbon content just high enough to be fully converted to martensite in heat treatment with as close to zero retained austenite or cementite formation as possible. This is easiest to achieve in carbon steels between 1060 and 1075 at ~67 HRC (you don't want 1084 or 1095 because they have too much carbon you'd have to work hard to not turn into cementite).

All of this was already experimentally demonstrated by PhD Metallurgist Roman Landes in his PhD work (sadly in German) and in the knives he has made based on that work. Unfortunately it goes against too much of the knife-making conventional wisdom and so virtually no one has the guts to actually follow that approach.

So it's not used on the job that made said chef and his team famous, it's just a hobby item for use at home because actually customers never ask for or would pay the chef and his team to use one of these.

Yea, clearly that must be the best in, uh, SOME way.

> handfull of bladesmiths capable of Damascus
You retard, that isn't true at all. You just don't see it in kitchen knives much because it doesn't match stainless steel appliances.

Dude, you grind the blade then pull the pattern out. I doubt you can easily hurt the pattern and you need to be a cripple or a retard to do it.

The reason people scoff at the idea of a 67+HRC blade is that though they become extremely tough, they become very fragile.
Already with my set of 58-62HRC tools the higher hardness stuff shouldn't be used for bone-in meats

The harder and more brittle the edge, the less general purpose it becomes.

When you get paid to do this kind of work you'll find out that going slow gets you replaced.

>thinking you cant use modern steel in Damascus

>The reason people scoff at the idea of a 67+HRC blade is that though they become extremely tough, they become very fragile.
>Already with my set of 58-62HRC tools the higher hardness stuff shouldn't be used for bone-in meats
>
>The harder and more brittle the edge, the less general purpose it becomes.

I would be willing to wager that something like 1060 at ~67 HRC with minimal retained austenite would be tougher than a lot of Japanese kitchen knives sold today at ~63-65 HRC in far higher carbon content steels where the production of significant amounts of cementite is unavoidable in HT, much less as compared to some of the much more carbide rich tool steels being used for Japanese kitchen knives at those kinds of hardness today (e.g. HAP40, ZDP-189).

Mind you, you are supposed to avoid bones with those Japanese knives anyway. The approach with Japanese kitchen knives is to farm out the work around bones to a second knife and optimize the primary one for everything else with a thinner geometry at higher hardness anyway.

Damascus steel does not increase the performance of a kitchen knife over a plain sharp high carbon steel one. If you pay 30000 for that placebo you are stupid.
Disregarding Damascus pattern as a sign of skill of the bladesmith the pattern is ugly as fuck.

>non-alloy steel
Damascus steel itself was almost certainly an unintentional alloy.

>If there ever was some stupendously strong wonder-steel, everyone wouldn't simply forget how to make it.
Ever open a history book? There are LOTS of things that have been forgotten just like that. Greek fire, for instance.

>though they become extremely tough, they become very fragile.
I think you mean hard, not tough. Tough is the OPPOSITE of fragile.

Damascus steel is a meme

Any jap or scandi high carbon steel is better

>OP asks about getting Damascus steel just for the aesthetics
>whole thread is spent arguing about whether the testimonies of Damascus steel's strength are "meme" or not

Shut up, moron. Damascus steel was plain old pattern-welded shit which wouldn't stand up to any modern use.

You're parroting desert fables.

>Greek fire
You're almost as bad. Yeah, we don't know exactly how Greek fire was made, but we know how to make identical stuff with materials available at the time.

But Greek fire (a situational military weapon made purely for naval warfare) is entirely different from steel, which was made EVERYWHERE for EVERY CONCEIVABLE PURPOSE.

Can we have PC cases made out of unobtainium?

>the best knives
>art pieces

>I've been working in food service for 8 years so I know what I'm talking about
Utility knives are homogenous steels, and desired artistic effects can be etched on.
What's the issue here

>concave
Oh god me sides

Kek

>he's one of the only ones in the US doing it for kitchen knives.

Because it's retarded and looks like shit.

Damascus steel isn't a finish, it's a special steel (check the name)

>Damascus steel does not increase the performance of a kitchen knife over a plain sharp high carbon steel one.

This.

In fact the material doesn't matter much at all.
What matters most is how well it's been sharpened (and how often you get it re-sharpened).